[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: I show you how to make a homemade Sous Vide machine for under $35
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10
File: 1.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Finished Sous Vide Machine First
>>
File: 2.jpg (1009 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
1009 KB, 2560x1920
Items needed:
Single Burner ($15)
Temperature Controller (ITC-1000F, $12)
Project Case ($5)
4 Electric Nut Caps ($0.20)
1 Power Cable (free, cut from non-needed/broken appliance)
4 Three Inch wire (free, cut from non-needed/broken appliance)
OPTIONAL: Dremel for cutting hole in case
>>
File: 3.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Cut hole in Project Case for Temperature Controller to slide into
>>
>>7553432
>>7553435
DON'T DO THIS MY BROTHER DIED LIKE THIS AND IT MAKES MUSTARD GAS
>>
File: 5.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Insert Power cable and Single Burner cable into two cut holes

Also Insert Temperature Probe cables
>>
File: 6.jpg (958 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
958 KB, 2560x1920
Insert red and black wires as follows:

In hole labeled 1 on bottom, insert red
in hole labeled 2 on bottom, insert black
In hole labeled 5 on bottom, insert red
in hole labeled 6 on bottom, insert black
>>
File: 7.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Insert thermometer wire into holes 3 and 4; screw electrical cap over green wires in the two power cables
>>
File: 8.jpg (1020 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
1020 KB, 2560x1920
Connect remaining cables as follows:

Connect green/ground wire from Electric Heater to green wire from Power Cable with a electric nut

Connect the the following with an electric nut: Any hot wire from wall cable, Any hot wire from Single Burner and far left red cable from Temperature Controller

Connect the remaining Single Burner cable to the far right black cable from thermostat

Connect remaining three wires with electric nut

Note, I ended up flipping my temperature controller because it made working with the wires a little easier
>>
File: svf.jpg (463 KB, 1510x1123) Image search: [Google]
svf.jpg
463 KB, 1510x1123
Filet mignon cooked with this sous vide. 128 degrees for 45 minutes.

I didn't use a water circulator and I have used pro machines very much in the past. This one has a 3 degree temperature disparity compared to a 1 degree of pro ones.....saving a couple of hundred bucks was worth the 2 degrees in error
>>
>>7553451
>eating bloody meat
enjoy your rabies
>>
>>7553493
>enjoy your rabies

inb4 well done memes
>>
>>7553493
>implying I am not in fact an ostrich and immune to rabies like all birds
>>
Well done OP, thanks for sharing. I'm thinking of buying a sous vide heater thinggy for home but I cbf making my own so I'll just get one from Amazon or something
>>
>>7553428
you know that "sous vide" mean vacuum? so a "sous-vide" machine is per definition a vacuum machine who take air out of a bag and seal it for preservation

what you have build is a temperature controlled "Bain Marie" for low temperature cooking..
>>
>>7553694
Yes, you are 100% right, but colloquially this is now referred to as a sous vide, even if it's technically incorrect.

Also, I use the water pressure/ziplock technique to vacuum pack the bags
>>
This is a terrible thread for /ck/.
You just know somebody is going to die trying to make this.
>>
>>7553706
>This is a terrible thread for /ck/.
>You just know somebody is going to die trying to make this.

I honestly considered that before I posted it; but assuming someone isn't building it while it's plugged into the wall; the worst that will happen is it throws a breaker if they fuck something up
>>
>>7553709
Good point, I'm picturing someone using a metal casing, not capping a live wire properly and it resting against the case.
Ah well their problem if they're that retarded.
>>
File: $_1.jpg (35 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
35 KB, 400x400
Or you get this for 23 bucks, ready to go
>>
>>7553740
The Asian writing on that label worries me
>>
>>7553740
I'm pretty sure thats just an itc-1000f with a plug adapater
>>
>>7553700
i've stopped using ziplock bags when one burst during cooking, how i use double sealed foodsaver bags.
>>
>>7554410
Actually, thats what I use also.
>>
>>7553740
This looks interesting, can you tell me more about it?
>>
>>7553451
>1 Power Cable
>4 Three Inch wire
>pot
You didn't include prices.
>saving a couple of hundred bucks
Closer to $150 minus labor, and there's no circulator in the one you made.
Are you really that poor? They're $200 FFS.
>>
>>7553676
Top kek
>>
>>7554700
I've yet to meet a person who doesn't have random cables to old electronics or appliances laying around the house. The price is essentially 0.

With that said, you can get a power cable off of amazon for 3 dollars and a 1.5 gallon stock pot from Dollar General for 8 bucks....

so that raises the prices to 41....not 150

Labor lol, for 15 minutes? That mush be rough to find that much time.

A circulatory isn't really necessary. Temperature variation has not exceeded 3 degrees in all of my uses.

Some people do DIY projects for fun....that seems to greatly upset you.
>>
>>7554750
>so that raises the prices to 41
46* rather
>>
>>7554646
i just got the foodsaver, had been using some handheld vacuum gun before but the bags are expensive and a PITA to clean.
>>
>>7553432
overkill, all you practically need is an arduino, relay and temperature probe
something like this http://www.instructables.com/id/LOG-sous-vide/?ALLSTEPS

I'm planning on doing something similar with a ESP8266 for cheap and easy wifi control
>>
>>7554793
>http://www.instructables.com/id/LOG-sous-vide/?ALLSTEPS

Very nice, this one does seem more fun to make; plus has the Arduino which could make for some even more fun
>>
>>7554793
Wut!?
OP has got a cheap as fuck solution.
There is no fat to trim from this build (except the box I suppose)
Buy the cheapest PID controller from ebay that includes a k type thermocouple and SSR.
Get a cheap ass hot plate, and wire it up with a few scrap wires you founds in an old set of speakers.

No Code, No need for a PC, No fucking WiFi, No fuss
>>
>>7553428
good project, I didn't notice where the temperature probe went though

also, what are some good foods to sous vide?

I've seen sous vide fish on tv shows before, it always looks super slimey
>>
>>7554860
Exactly. Granted, his idea is technically neater. It's kind of odd he called OP's overkill when his requires soldering numerous circuit compomenets and computer programming
>>
File: temppropbe.png (601 KB, 450x593) Image search: [Google]
temppropbe.png
601 KB, 450x593
>>7554871
Pointed at w/ arrows. Note I flipped the box between these two pics

Any meat is what I cook in sousvide. If fish is still slimy, then it needed to be cooked at a higher temp.

I do salmon at 143 for 45 min and sear for 30 sec on each side; and omg its amazing
>>
>>7554891
ooh, you take the input from teh temperature probe inside the hotplate?

I thought you would have drilled a hole in the lid of the pot or something like that
>>
>>7554900
Oh, I see what you are saying. I just put it under the lid into the water where it is so thin.
>>
>>7553743
But the Arabic numerals you use in everyday life dont?
>>
>>7553493
>he thinks it's blood
>>
>>7554987
why are they called Arabic numerals? they look nothing like Arabic ones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals#/media/File:Bakhshali_numerals_2.jpg
>>
>>7555218
>>7554987

Take this autistic crap elsewhere
>>
>>7553493
Just to be fair, that shit lighting makes it look awful red.
>>
>>7554750
>3 degrees
is a big deal when cooking eggs.
No circulator means that all the heat is coming straight off the bottom, meaning that it's hotter at the bottom of the pot.
And I said that you'd be saving $150 minus labor, not that it would cost &150.
I'm not upset. I wish I could do more DIY shit, but in this case I think the money is better spent on a machine that is tried and true that isn't THAT expensive.
>>
>>7556386
Three degrees is only a "big deal" when doing something like a hollondaise.

It is hotter....at the bottom of the pot by a max of 3 degrees. This is why you put it on ~20% heat.

For meat and vegetables (which is 99% of home sous vide), this is more than applicable.
>>
>>7556393
Then just use a stovetop
Burner ($0)
Ice cubes ($0)
Digital thermometer ($15)
Time (Labor lol)

Easy to keep temp within 5 degrees.
>>
>>7556541
OP here, actually did this a couple of times with a candy thermometer. The main thing is convenience, especially for long cooks
>>
>>7556393
>Three degrees is only a "big deal" when doing something like a hollondaise.

Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpvbNG1Dzhk
>>
>>7556562
"like a hollondaise"

I was referring to requiring the precision mentioned in this video which is a very rare case

Also, the .1 degree variation comment he made is complete bullshit. Also, his temp times are grossly incorrect. But for the sake of discussion, I will say they are correct.
>>
>>7556562
thta was really interesting, I watched some of his other vids though, what a waste of time
>>
>>7558722
>thta was really interesting, I watched some of his other vids though, what a waste of time

Hell, even that video was off the mark quite a bit
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.