[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
salt in food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: salt.jpg (129 KB, 800x530) Image search: [Google]
salt.jpg
129 KB, 800x530
hi ck

Salt is a rather controvertial subject, isn't it? There are plenty of recommendations for daily intake, usually in g/day, and plenty of warning about overconsumption. But, though I do not have salt related health problems, this doesn't tell me how many tablespoons I should add in my 3 L soup or stew.

I'm looking for a few pieces of information (if those ever exist):
-the average sodium mass ratio for food to be palatable
-the average sodium mass ratio above which recommended daily intake would be exeeded

and/or
-the average mass of a balanced daily food intake

i.e. the range of amount of salt I can add to a known amount of food prepared with unsalted raw ingredients. Does ck have any hints?
>>
>>7547630
Use miso paste in place of salt. It contains special salts that do not make a person die.
>>
>>7547630
if you are drinking enough water salt is not bad for you. you need it to be alive. unless you have blood pressure issues there is no reason to avoid salt.
>>
First of all, mass is not always the only consideration when adding salt. In some cases you have to think about volume just as much, because a person can only ingest a certain volume of food at once, and that volume comes with a certain amount of salt to be tasted at once. The subjective saltiness is affected by both, among other things (such as concentration of flavor, competing flavors and especially water content). So that may affect how you want to salt something like popcorn (completely dry with an effective density of 0.03) vs. a soup with a density of 1. Also, you have to consider the total amount of salt over the whole dish in relation to the calories it provides, rather than its mass.

Physiologically isotonic saline solution is 0.9% salt, so 9 gram salt per one liter. Around 1% is an adequate ratio used in soups, stews and water for pasta etc. 0.5% can still get the job done - obviously it depends on personal preference and habituation as well.
Anything widely above 1% will start to taste quite salty. Very salty foods, such as fish preserved in salt, may have salt levels from 5-7%. This is extremely salty and needs to be balanced with the rest of the dish providing water and cooling (dairy is commonly used for this). Salty snacks such as chips and peanuts typically have salt levels from 0.7% to 1.5%, but they are completely dry so the effect when eating is quite different from that same amount dissolved in a pot of water.

Also, you need to taste that shit during and after cooking and you will soon figure out what works and what doesn't.

It's hard to talk about any averages. In a diet based on whole foods and cooked dishes, most of the daily salt intake will come from the largest meal of the day so that's where you salt to taste.
>>
>>7547740
Wow. Thanks, you provided far more than expected. I was mainly thinking about wet homemade foods, so I guess isotonic concentrations (or fraction thereof) are the general rule of thumb I was looking for.

If 0.5% would do the job, my quick'n'dirty calculations based on recommended salt and recommended food portion wasn't too off after all (0.25%). Thanks for the hint on salt vs calories, I'll think about it.

Also it seems salty dry foods would be less of a concern regarding salt (provided you drink enought water) than wet salty ones. Since you seem educated on the matter, do you have more of this delicious salty knowledge to share?
>>
>>7547630
>Does ck have any hints?

Yep. Just taste the food and adjust the amount of salt you add accordingly.

Unless you were diagnosed as being hypersensitive to sodium by a doctor then there is zero reason for you to worry about your salt intake.
>>
>>7547826
Sure. Scale your usual salted-to-taste dish for 2 up to 10 or 20. Will you eyeball the salt at risk of ending up with an undersalted/oversalted dish and losing your time? Will you soak potatoes after that? Not very serious imho.

But thanks anyway: this was a valuable complement to my OP.
>>
Learn to use salt as a garnish. You'll use less of it in your cooking and it will taste even stronger on top of food rather than in it.
>>
>>7547861
>Will you eyeball the salt
Of course.

And there is no risk involved because you start with less salt than you think you might need then taste the food and adjust accordingly. You can always add more salt if it's undersalted.

You need to taste-and adjust anyway because all natural ingredients vary in flavor. It's silly to stick to an exact measure because you may need more or less salt depending on the variations in the food you are cooking. You ALWAYS need to taste the food, not blinding dump in a bunch of seasonings.
>>
>>7547864
A agree, but salt as a garnish over a 0% salt dish is not that great, nor very practical in case of serving many people.

Aren't you people interested in possible food standards in salt concentration?
>>
>>7547875
*or at least guidelines, like >>7547740 provided?
>>
>>7547875
>Aren't you people interested in possible food standards in salt concentration?

Nope. Because the other ingredients have their own variations in flavor it means that it's pointless to come up with some kind of "standard" for salt concentration. It's chasing an impossible goal for no real reason.
>>
>>7547630
>hi ck
No you are.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.