[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to explore mexican food. Can you guys give me any tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: mexican-food-sam-yehia.png (2 MB, 1161x663) Image search: [Google]
mexican-food-sam-yehia.png
2 MB, 1161x663
I want to explore mexican food.
Can you guys give me any tips and recipes?
>>
>>7544857
Tips:

They're big on snacks and street food. While they have deep home cooking and high end cooking traditions many popular dishes are borderline junk food (but still very tasty).

Cuisine varies regionally in a big country with a variety of influences. Norteno cooking is different from Oaxaca or Puebla cooking. The variety of influences in the food of Mexico City ranges from Spanish, Indigenous and Austrian to Indian and Lebanese. Don't approach Mexican food as one cuisine - it is many. What type you're likely to find will depend on where the Mexican immigrants near you came from.

Don't be prejudiced against high end Mexican fusion as "inauthentic". This is exactly what some of the best Mexican chefs are known for at the moment, and done well it's fucking delicious. Because Mexican cuisine, like SEA cuisine is very much a fusion cuisine to begin with.
>>
>>7544857

>put piles of chiles in everything
>use really cheap low quality meat
>if anyone complains about the heat just tell them they don't understand your culture
>>
>>7544903

oh ok thanks, i'll keep that in mind. we only got a few mexican restaurants in my city, so i'm gonna be cooking it myself predominantly.
>>
>>7545273
Elote is ridiculously good and I'm mad at myself for ever having tasted it because I now only truly enjoy corn on the cob when its prepared that way. Thankfully its incredibly easy
>>
Wear a kevlar while you are there.
>>
>>7545298

Wasn't familiar with the name till now.
I love a well-caramelized corn cob fresh off the grill.
Now that I think on it, I wonder if I could save the husk, grill the cob straight, then cut the kernels off, mix in with other ingredients, then wrap back up in the husk and grill it a second time---twice-grilled corn, as it were.
>>
Dig hole, fill with hot coal, throw in whole goat, fill hole with dirt, wait 3 days, dig up goat, eat like a true Mexican. Serve with beans.
>>
make enchilada casserole, if you don't know how to cook an entire chicken, look it up, it's easy, do that, doesn't have to be spiced or anything, you can add that later. look up some spices to mix with the chicken, throw it in a tortilla (you can add beans or maybe rice, but unneeded and mexicans don't do it) then make a sauce, to put on top. there are a few good choices, red and green sauces are with red and green (tomatillo) tomatoes respectively, and some spices, premade ones are acceptable if you're really lazy. also mole, but proper mole is quite hard to make, you gotta get a lot of dried peppers and roast them in the oven then crush them up and mix with spices and a bit of cocoa powder. then just put the sauce on top and top with shredded cotija, or mozzarella.
>>
>>7544903
Found the "cosmopolitan" shitskin
>>7545009
Found the wetback
>>7546293
Found the average shitskin who has no clue what is talking about
>>7546302
>Lying this bad on the intewebz
>>
>>7546596
Go be rude elsewhere.

>>>/pol/
>>
>>7544857
these threads always end badly

half the people thinking western versions of mexican is even close to legit

real mexicans getting buthurt and not actually contributing
>>
>>7546629

Count your blessings: It could always end in huitlacoche. :P
>>
>>7546596
>shitskin
Say that 100 times and tell me you actually like good food.
>>
File: image.jpg (193 KB, 1500x843) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193 KB, 1500x843
Simple recipe for corn.

Either grill or boil an sweet corn (mexicans use white field corn but it takes knowledge and experience to pick an ear worthy of grilling)

Rub lime on corn

Take corn brush butter on it.

Slather with mayonnaise

Roll in queso cotija (if you cant source this type of cheese use parmesan or feta)

Add cayenne pepper powder to your preferance.
>>
>>7546286
Elote is a lot more than just grilling the corn, its what its covered in after that makes it great. Otherwise its the same corn you get at any halfway decent BBQ in the US
>>
File: 1450921329784.jpg (11 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
1450921329784.jpg
11 KB, 250x236
>>7544857
Squirt lime juice on everything.

EVERY

SINGLE

THING
>>
>>7545298
>>7546302
>>7546826

thanks, i'll definately try the corn and enchilada casserole.

I made some grilled chicken with ranchero sauce yesterday, not sure if that's mexican tho.
Made with red onion, yellow onion, bell peppers, white wine, chicken stock, flour, salt, black pepper, chili powder, tarragon and some chili peppers (couldn't find habanero in the closest supermarket). very easy to make and really tasty
>>
take the following ingredients

>beans
>meat
>cheese
>corn
>onions
>tomatoes
>peppers
>avocados
>lime
>cilantro
>tortillas

And just do whatever the fuck you want with them. Seriously, the sky is the limit, put any combination in any form and cook them any way you want, and wa-la you have mexican food.
>>
>>7547488

oh i also used fresh tomato
>>
>>7544903
>Austrian
God Bless the Empire
>>7544857
And for you, Mole should be more popular internationally. There are many varieties and ways of serving.
>>
File: frijoles-refritos-thermomix.jpg (119 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
frijoles-refritos-thermomix.jpg
119 KB, 900x600
>>7547510
And about beans, some Mexicans rarely ear them whole. I personally really enjoy "frijoles refritos" (pic related is made out of black beans),
>>
A restaurant here in Tijuana (FaceBook link)
>La-Eloter%C3%ADa-197212263770995/?fref=ts
It satisfies all my elote desires and they make a great atole de guayaba
>>
>>7544857
To understand the mexican food you have to understand the "fritanga".

http://www.chilango.com/restaurantes/nota/2016/03/24/10-cositas-fritas-que-todos-amamos
>>
File: rick bayless.jpg (116 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
rick bayless.jpg
116 KB, 1500x1125
rick bayless tbqh familia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udKouyfrFBQ
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.