[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
made my own mozzarella today can totally recommend, not a waste
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: 2016-04-05 16.25.34.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-05 16.25.34.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
made my own mozzarella today

can totally recommend, not a waste of time and very low-cost production

use liquid renet if you can, "vegetarian rennet" is also widely used

still not sure what to do with the whey, and I need to work on my stretching, but for a first go I'm really happy with it
>>
File: 5408974130985.jpg (62 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
5408974130985.jpg
62 KB, 355x355
>>7540365
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WHAT IN THE FUUUUUUUUUCK

Please tell me this was some sick joke op, WHY IN THE FUCKING CHRIST
>>
>>7540365
Worked at a place where we made it with curd.
Bowl of ice water, bowl of boiling water, 3 pairs of gloves.
I've since seen a few other ways of making it.
What was your method?
>>
>>7540365
Whatever this is, coupled with it not being rotated right, makes me want to barf.
>>
>>7540376
well I used the recipe here
http://www.cheesemaking.com/howtomakemozzarellacheese.html

but i'm not sure I would recommend it particularly
I was skeptical about using a microwave in the later stages, but it seemed to work OK and it saved a lot of messing around

I presume you used the boiling water like a baine marie to get it to stretching temperature?

>>7540377
haha that's just the way it fell into the jar, the presentation could do with some work but I'm confident it's materially sound
>>
>>7540392
It was '98 or so.
I dropped the curd into the bowl of 200F water, buried my multi-gloved hand into the ice water until it hurt, and then went to the 200F water to stretch the curd. Until it hurt. Then you go back to the ice water, until it hurts. Repeat.
Lots of salt in the hot water.
>>
>>7540412
ah I have heard something about kneading in water

seems like a good way of salting it desu

but no temperature measurements or timing?
I cant stand those kind of methods that just get passed down. because they're entirely un-accessible unless you are taught in person
>>
>>7540392
>>7540412
There was no taking it out of the hot water to stretch it.
Hurt like a motherfucker.
>>
>>7540416
>but no temperature measurements or timing?
lol nope.
if it hurt you were doing it right.

I did it again recently (at work). I can't remember the process I used but it was definitely less painful.
Couldn't watch youtube videos back then, so it was
>those kind of methods that just get passed down
>>
>>7540426
haha sounds like every chef I know
>>
I make my own fermented cashew topping. Yogurt can be used as starter, but if you are female, I find that touching my cooch before I work with the nuts is sufficient to get a lacto starter culture going.
>>
>>7540461
*tips toque
That's just the way it was.
Poured over and memorized cook books and cooking magazines trying to self-teach. Never spent more than 6 months at a single restaurant to combat stagnation.
Different times.
>>
>>7540463
>I find that touching my cooch before I work with the nuts is sufficient
sage advice
>>
File: get out.jpg (106 KB, 560x510) Image search: [Google]
get out.jpg
106 KB, 560x510
>>7540463
>>
File: 2016-04-05 20.40.25.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-05 20.40.25.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
so it could have done with more salt, but it did pretty well
>>
>>7540370
thanks for you contribution.
>>
>>7540463
came here for this
>>
>>7540370
>he doesn't no what fresh mozzarella looks like

>>7540365
Good shit, OP, describe the taste please
>>
>>7540426
>>7540416
where i work we go through about 20 lbs of curds a week.
salty water, more salt than you would pasta but not like ocean brine. boil that stuff, pour it over a bowl of shredded curds. about 3-4 inches of water covering, or the temp will drop too far.
you can use a spoon or tongs at this point to compact and stir it, then with multiple gloves on reach in and pull out a chunk, pinch it off and work it like dough.
transfer to salted ice bath.
ive found that too many gloves retain the heat and the ice bath cant cool it down fast enough, so i do two pairs
>>
>>7541702
after working the ball, you can pinch it off again to make a nice sphere, and return the excess to the hot bowl
>>
I'm making queso fresco again. Shot is so easy. I actually haven't bothered to check if I'm saving money on it though. I don't know what the fuck to do with the whey.
>>
>>7541810
use the whey to boil more curds
also you can use whey to make ricotta cheese
>>
>>7541814
For real? Like throw the curds back in? I'm not sure I get you.
>>
>>7541824
the way
>>7541702
is making mozzarella

to make ricotta, you boil the whey then add acid, the remaining proteins coagulate and you pass it through cheese cloth
>>
>>7540741

Buy a pizza stone or steel. How are you making your own mozz and you don't have one yet?
>>
>>7541849
Cool. But I already used acid (vinegar) instead of some kind of culture to separate the curds, as you do with queso fresco. Can I still get more somehow?
>>
>>7541916
sounds like you made ricotta then
but im not sure its worth a shot
>>
>>7541939
As far as I know, ricotta is unpressed and unsalted queso fresco/paneer.
>>
>>7541956
learned me something new today
though you can salt and season ricotta any way you want, i imagine the pressed part is a more important distinction
if its not too acidic you could use it to enrich a stock or make polenta. or water your plants too
>>
File: COOCH VEGETABLES.jpg (2 MB, 4098x3456) Image search: [Google]
COOCH VEGETABLES.jpg
2 MB, 4098x3456
>>7540463
C O O C H

V E G E T A B L E S
>>
>>7541982
that was fast
pretty sure the original thread is still up
love to see /ck/ history in the making
unless OP planned it all along, that jerk
>>
I decided to use the whey to braise a pork loin. Wish me luck.
>>
>>7540463
>I find that touching my cooch before I work with the nuts is sufficient to get a lacto starter culture going.

spicy fucking meme
>>
I find that touching my cooch before shitposting on /ck/ is sufficient to get a historic samefagging record going.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.