[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you put in your hummus to give it some extra flavor?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: hummus.jpg (10 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
hummus.jpg
10 KB, 268x188
What do you put in your hummus to give it some extra flavor?

Any herbs and spices?

Vegetables?
>>
Harissa/paprika and oil
>>
>>7528701
Garlic, lemon juice and cumin. Drizzle of olive oil on top and a sprinkle of Aleppo pepper.
>>
File: anon.jpg (32 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
anon.jpg
32 KB, 736x414
>>7528701
Anonymous:

Next time you eat hummus, think of hotdogs.
>>
I like to keep it simple with some roasted red pepper, or roasted eggplant.
>>
1/4 tsp powered mustard seed
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 small lemon worth of juice
1 radish purée
1 tsp of powdered turmeric (keeps it earthy)
>>
>>7528701
Basil is my favorite
>>
Za'atar is ground dried thyme, oregano, marjoram, or some combination thereof, mixed with toasted sesame seeds, salt and sumac.

Maybe some pine nuts and of course olive oil on top. Only things I mix in are standard lemon juice, garlic, tahiniand S&P.
>>
>>7528721
This anon gets it.
>>
>>7528701
I have a refined method that I developed slightly over the years to make hummus as flavorful as possible.

Garlic, I put whole garlic cloves, skin and all in the blender with the evoo and unflitered apple cider vinger or lemon juice, blend those 3 together and filter final product through a sieve. Makes for a much smoother garlic flavor, than chopping, cutting or mashing up garlic all alone.

I lightly rinse dry chickpeas, cook them for about 35 minutes in my non-venting pressure cooker on high pressure, saving some water to add to the hummus mix to get the right consistency. I find this method makes the most flavorful chickpeas for several reasons, there's no chickpea flavor lost as there is when soaking and dumping out the water, and the non-venting pressure cooker doesn't release flavor like venting pressure cookers do into the air, non-venting is self contained mostly.

I add tahini to my hummus, it makes a huge difference, try it if you don't.
>>
>>7529203
>I add tahini to my hummus, it makes a huge difference, try it if you don't.

You understand that all hummus contains tahini, right?
>>
>>7529203
I doubt the skin would hurt you, and I'm sure most of it gets filtered out, but you know that shit is dirty right? And there's no benefit to leaving it on, it's not like it has any flavour.
>>
You can maximize your lemon economy by blending in whole peeled lemon instead of wasting time and making a mess juicing it. Some don't like the extra bitterness though.

Turmeric makes it extra yellow.

A bit of beetroot gives it a nice deep red color. I learned to add beetroot when I ate at Vega in madrid. The service was pretty good.

Chili-garlic sauce from a jar is usually a good addition.

I like to eat hummus with carrots, red cabbage, and whole grain sourdough. My Wisconsin skinny friend will eat an entire cabbage if I leave it in front of him.

I asssshhhhoooooom you already know to make it with black pepper?
>>
>>7529934
you just dip pieces of cabbage in it?
>>
>>7529906
I often make it with peanut butter or other seed pastes when I run out of tahini and don't need to buy other stuff yet. Tahini costs more than three times what peanut butter does.
>>
>>7529936
It's the second most cost effective source of sulforaphane (behind home sprouted broccoli seeds(alfalfa should be avoided. It's too susceptible to contamination)) and can be used for testing the pH of urine.
>>
>>7529906
It should contain tahini, right. Do you understand that there are a whole mess of recipes online that don't, a good percentage of them don't mention tahini, funny right? Now how am I suppose to know if OP knows to add tahini or not, and I clearly stated try tahini if you don't in my post.
>>7529927
I know right? Good point, could you imagine it's Garlic from China and was blessed with night soil and my stupid ass consumed some of the skin. But I make sure to buy American and from now on I'll rinse whole garlic cloves before I blend it up with skins just to be on the safe side, just in case.
>>
>>7529977
You know you can get the skin off effortlessly by whacking the clove with a can or jar?
>>
>>7529981
Yea, but them jars are dirty, then I'd have to rinse the jar or can lid and what not, see more work, I'll just rinse the cloves clean, thanks.
>>
>>7529946
>source of sulforaphane
>testing the pH of urine

Okay? Why are you interested in any of this?
>>
>>7529940
Interesting tip seeing as Tahini is so expensive and has, literally, only one use in my kitchen. I'll give it a try.
>>
>>7529981

If you put some cloves of garlic (as long as they're not too old) in a spacious tupperware or jar or similar and shake the absolute piss out of it for a minute or so, the peel/skins all come right off.
>>
File: garlic-toum.jpg (2 MB, 2351x2072) Image search: [Google]
garlic-toum.jpg
2 MB, 2351x2072
>>7528701

I don't care for hummus but L O V E the roasted garlic puree dip Arab restaurants have.
>>
>>7529934
Cabbage? That's interesting, I might try that.

I'm flirting with the idea of adding avocado as well.
>>
cayenne.

A ranch seasoning packet if I'm taking it to a sports party or something.
>>
The tears and blood of my enemies
>>
My ex's mom used tahini, shit was bomb
>>
>>7528701

Harissa and olive oil
>>
File: DV1000.jpg (148 KB, 750x561) Image search: [Google]
DV1000.jpg
148 KB, 750x561
>>7528701
>What do you put in your hummus to give it some extra flavor?

the blood of the infidel
>>
I know hummus, and its origin. All the ingredients u all said are fine. But Tahin is the most important ingredient in good traditional hummus. You will not regret
>>
>>7530298
Genuinely surprised no one has raged about ranch yet.
>>
>>7529940
>>7529977
>>7530034
In place of tahini, which is expensive, you can buy raw brown sesame seeds and toast them yourself in any flat bottom skillet. That's how I do mine, and I put a strong brown toasting on them. Then drop them in the blender with whole garlic cloves, olive oil, lemon juice, and a dash of this yogurt-based ranch salad dressing my gf buys. It's pretty super.
>>
>>7528701
Try peanut butter
>>
>>7530247
What is this dip you speak of? Garlic, potato, vinegar and oil?
>>
Put 1/3 cup olive oil in a pan on low
Add 2 to 4 crushed cloves of garlic
Cook until the garlic is lightly browned.
Put the garlic and oil in a food processor with around 15oz of chickpeas

Add a half teaspoon of salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes

Food process to the texture you like

May have to drizzle in more olive oil to get the texture really creamy if that's the way you want it.
>>
I like to make my traditional hummus with Aldi-for-people-who-don't-want-to-shop-at-Aldi's tahini dip, and 1.5 cups canola oil.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.