[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>usually do pancakes my own way >decide to check how other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_8295.jpg (61 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8295.jpg
61 KB, 512x384
>usually do pancakes my own way
>decide to check how other people do it
>go to Chef John's "Grandma Kelly’s Good Old Fashioned Pancakes"
>seems like 1 teaspoon of salt it a lot but hey that's the recipe
>make them
>fucking inedible due to how salty they were
>throw away the batter

Fucking saltcakes, do Americans eat their pancakes like this? I like salty food but this was way too much.
>>
i just use melted salted butter.

there's my salt. it comes from the butter.
>>
>>7528088
Too brown, like niggers
>>
chef john is a shitty cook
>>
>>7528088
1 teaspoon of salt isn't much. How large was the recipe? For reference my buttermilk pancake recipe uses a 1/2 tsp. per cup of flour.
>>
>>7528091
I use unsalted and normally add a tiny pinch.

But the recipe called for a teaspoon so I followed Grandma Kelly against my better judgement.

First time I have been disappointed by Chef John, I ended up skipping breakfast.

>>7528097
I would have posted a link but the spam filter wouldn't let me.

>Ingredients for about 12 small pancakes:
>1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
>3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
>1 teaspoon salt
>1 tablespoon white sugar
>1 1/4 cups milk
>1 egg
>3 tablespoons butter, melted

The amount of baking powder seemed too large as well, and I do usually make pancakes with buttermilk as well.
>>
>>7528088
Since you aren't American, I'm assuming you are stupid enough to mix up the difference between tablespoons and teaspoons. If they were really that salty that is my guess as to what happened.
>>
>>7528113
No, I've used my proper measuring spoons.

Again, we are talking about a small portion (1 egg, 1.5 cup flour, 1.25 cup milk), a teaspoon of salt is way too much.
>>
>>7528113
Okay, now that I've looked at the comment section there are many people complaining about them being too salty and recommending halving the amount.
>>
chef john usually oversalts his food, maybe his tongue atrophied due to all the cayenne, he just gets away with it in his videos since he tends to just say you should season to taste which is good advice in any case
>>
>>7528088
If anything we have our pancakes very sugary, tons of butter in the batter too.
This is my personal favorite recipe, had rave reviews at a brunch and have been asked to make them multiple times since.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/perfect-pancakes/
>>
>>7528611
Actually, if you dont wanna see all the bloggy pictures heres the recipe:
3 cupsPlus 2 Tablespoons Cake Flour (the cake flour makes miracle fluffy pancakes)
3 TablespoonsBaking Powder
2 TablespoonsSugar
1/2 teaspoonSalt
2 cupsMilk
2 wholeLarge Eggs
3 teaspoonsVanilla
4 TablespoonsButter,
MeltedExtra Butter
Maple Or Pancake Syrup

Mix together dry ingredients in large bowl.
Mix together milk, eggs, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring very gently until just combined.
Melt butter and add it to the batter, stirring gently to combine. Stir in more milk if needed for thinning.
Cook on a greased skillet over medium-low heat until golden brown. Serve with an obscene amount of butter and warm syrup.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.