[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for some inspiration /ck/. I like to preserve food, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: glasses.jpg (96 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
glasses.jpg
96 KB, 550x366
Looking for some inspiration /ck/. I like to preserve food, and now search for new recipies.

What I've done in the past years:

Fruits: applesauce, pears, cherries, plums
Juices & teas: apples, elderberries, plums, cherries, sage tea, ginger tea
Vegetables: tomatoes, cucumbers, (green) beans
Also various canned meat, brawn and broth

Give me ideas. Especially looking for food that can be eaten cold, right out of the glass. Like mixed pickles. I've been intrigued by the idea of preserving eggs in a mix of vinegar, salt, sugar and various spices. Any experiences there?
>>
File: 1438872626216.jpg (152 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1438872626216.jpg
152 KB, 1080x1080
>>7518769
eggs
okra
asparagus
>>
>>7518771
wtf, please tell me that's a trolling pic

$5.99 for asparagus water?
>>
>>7518799

Nope. That's the price a yuppie pays for the privilege of looking like a tool at the office.
>>
>>7518799
lol this faggot doesn't know about nutritive phytochemical balance
>>
>>7518830
Hello yuppie
>>
>>7518799
I'm much more concerned by the "unpasteurised" warning. Haven't they ever eaten real cheese?
>>
File: 1435030950275.jpg (30 KB, 286x246) Image search: [Google]
1435030950275.jpg
30 KB, 286x246
>>7518888
raw milk cheese is basically illegal in america

nice quads
>>
File: Proccessing_Time 00.jpg (3 MB, 4786x5000) Image search: [Google]
Proccessing_Time 00.jpg
3 MB, 4786x5000
I do both water bath canning and pressure canning. It is a way of life for me. (All these reposted pics are fully mine.)

For pressure canning and water bath I recommend this manual, which has everything you need to learn,

http://www.allamerican-chefsdesign.com/admin/FileUploads/Product_49.pdf

Here's my method:

1: Wash jars, lids, and rings with soap and water.

2: Boil jars, lids, and rings (keep jars and lids hot, allow rings to cool.) Prep the canner according to the manufacturer's instructions.

3: Hot Pack the food into the jars (hot packing refers to bringing the food to a boil for 5 minutes before putting it into the jar, it should be boiling hot when put into the jars, this removes air from the food to prevent sealing problems and increase the lifetime of the food.) Some recipes, usually for jams, jellies, and preserves call for putting food grade wax (I use bee's wax from my hives) on the surface of the food in the jar prior to canning.

4: Put hot lids and rings on the jars and hand tighten the rings (not tight enough they won't seal, too tight and the lids will buckle or the jar may explode; the lid acts like a check valve, releasing pressure during the canning process but stopping anything from getting back in, creating an area of low pressure in the jar.)

5: Place the jars into the pressure canner or water bath canner. (Any empty spaces for jars should be filled with jars containing boiling water. If your canner fits 7 jars but you only have 5 jars of food, put 2 jars of boiling water with them. This prevents jiggling during boiling from knocking a jar over.)

6: Start the processing according to the canner's manufacturer for the type of food you are canning. Processing times and pressures can vary widely depending on food type, food consistency, and the altitude of your location.
>>
File: Dehydrated Vegetables full.jpg (3 MB, 4777x5000) Image search: [Google]
Dehydrated Vegetables full.jpg
3 MB, 4777x5000
>>7519119
7: After the processing time has passed and you've followed the manual's instructions for removing the jars from the canner (it takes a long time for the pressure canner to depressurize so be patient) you allow the jars to cool completely. Their lids should "POP!" down as they cool, indicating a proper seal. Never push the lid down. Take the rings off and wash the jars down with soap and water. You may put the rings back on if you want to, but they are n longer needed.

8: Label the lid or jar side with the date of the processing, the contents of the jar, and the methods you used to can it (pressure can/water bath, amount of time for processing).

The viscosity of your food, the size of the chunks of the food, the food type and its acidity level, all play a major role in how long you need to process the food and whether or not you should even process the food.

An example is preserving pumpkins. Making a pumpkin puree shouldn't be done for canning. It is far too thick and heating it can be a problem. It may never get sterilized. However, if you merely cube up the pumpkin into 1 inch cubes, fill the jars and fill the spaces with the boiling water from the hot packing method the water can then circulate around the food and sterilize it properly.

Things like meat and mushrooms always need an impressive amount of time processing. I'm talking 90 minutes or longer depending on the recipes. You always have to use a pressure canner too.
>>
File: DSCN1414a.jpg (4 MB, 4096x4592) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1414a.jpg
4 MB, 4096x4592
>>7519124
Water bath canning is the simplest, easiest, shortest time, and least expensive home canning method for high acidic foods. It is a great place to start.

Remember, if any of the lids bulge during the processing, replace both the lid and the ring and re-process it again or eat it right away. Any lids that bulge AFTER the processing time need to be treated as a health hazard and their contents be dumped and their jar tops inspected for damage. If a lid never seals with a pop, after the jar is cool, take the lid off and inspect the jar top for damage. Reprocess it with a new lid or eat the contents.

Get a food dehyrator, a pressure canner, freezer, a couple large crockery (2.5-5gal), an extra water bath canner, learn to salt, brine, dehydrate, pressure can, water bath can, pickle, sugaring, lime, lye, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_preservation

>unrelated random pic
>>
>>7518895
>basically

Meaning it isn't.
>>
>>7519136
It varies by state and local laws. In the vast majority of the US it is illegal to sell un-pastuerized dairy to the public. It is also illegal (due to Federal law) to ship unpasteurized dairy products across state lines, or to import it into the country. That includes milk and the products derived from it. However there are a handful of places where it is legal.
>>
>>7519136
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/raw-cheese-from-store-is-not-raw/

>not being a contrary, misinformed opinion spouting troll on /ck/

sorry goys^
>>
>>7519119
>>7519124
>>7519129
Great pics!

I do my canning a little simpler:

1. Wash everything and rinse it with clean water
2. Also wash fruits/vegetables, and remove bad parts, pits etc
3. Fill glasses with them, and sprices/broth
3.1 For fruits I just add sugar, about 2 spoons per 500gr
3.2 For vegetables, a broth made of water, vinegar, salt, sugar. Plus eg peppercorns, bay leaves, onions, carrots, junipers, garlic, chili, mustard seed, dill.
4. Boil. Usually ~30-40 mins at around 90°C. Beans need 2 hours at >90°C
5. Remove jars. Do not let them cool down in the pot.

I've been doing this for over a decade now and had only 2 bad jars (because of bad lids). First bunch of beans went bad because I didn't know that they need longer heating, and 5 jars of cherries because I filled not enough water into the pot. Apart from that, everything was okay.

Same for meat, hot and cold canned. Raw meat works just as well, but now I roast it before because it adds more taste.
I don't use a pressure cooker btw and never had any issues, except for one metal tin where the lid was bad too.

I'm using twist-off jars, although I do have lots of "classic" jars. But with the rings and clips, those are more work and I cannot stack two rows in my pot, so I keep them for the rare cases when I run out of twist-offs.

Oh, and applesauce, tomato-concentrate and marmelade, I just fill into the jars while it's boiling hot. Put on the lid, and let the jar cool down upside-down. Juice from the steam juicer goes right into the bottle. Lids on, lay them down to the hot juice sterilizes the lid.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.