[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows on The World Restaurant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9
File: UINDOZU ON ZA WARUDO.png (105 KB, 276x159) Image search: [Google]
UINDOZU ON ZA WARUDO.png
105 KB, 276x159
Tell me, cu/ck/s: would you - if given the chance - go back in time to 9/10/2001 to eat at Windows of the World?

Think about what a decadent experience it would be: time-traveling just a day before the attacks to eat at a famed restaurant that you know won't exist the next day; imagine ordering, knowing that your waiter will invariably jump off from the windows the next day at a certain hour. Eating the supposedly delicious food, and knowing no one else will ever eat such a meal again.

Would you, /ck/?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_on_the_World
>>
>>7518399

Fuck windows on the world... I'd go back to 9/10 and predict the attacks and then I'd be set for life, I'd go on every talk show as the boy who can see the future. Would fucking crush ass too, bitches love fortune tellers.
>>
>>7518399
Never ate there, but my band played at the bar back in 2000. A Bud was $10. If the restaurant was similarly expensive the place was a huge rip off, regardless of how good the food may have been.
>>
>>7518399
Nah, not appealing at all. The restaurant sounds like it's one of those overpriced tourist trap gimmicks where the food is OK but nothing special yet you're being charged out the ass for the location, etc. Same as those "revolving restaurants", etc.

>>knowing waiter will jump
Meh, doesn't do anything for me at all. Who cares?

If I had a time machine fuck wasting it on that place, I'd to back to when El Bulli was still open. Or when Bocuse was still cooking in France, etc.
>>
>>7518405
You think they give medals to snitches?

You'd be incarcerated and tortured until you gave a non-batshit crazy explanation on how you knew the attacks were going to happen.
>>
>>7518409
Really? Cute :3
>>
>>7518415
This, desu.

Also, you'd change the future by predicting the attacks. Completely. You'd come back to 2016 and God knows how different things would be.
>>
>>7518415

I don't think an 8 year old white kid would get any shit, I bet at the time of sorrow everyone would view me as a symbol of hope and that couldn't hurt.
>>
Why don't we view the menu, /ck/?

This is the last time the menu was updated, on February of 2001. Here you go:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010407090921/http://www.windowsontheworld.com/wow/menus.shtml

(Web 1.0 really looked... different)
>>
>>7518399
That's some restaurant at the end of the universe shit right there.
>>
File: Batman.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Batman.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
>>7518399
>9/10/2001
>Go to Windows of the World restaurant
>Take dozens of pics
>Give waiter massive tip
>Get up early on 9/11 to watch the World burn.
>>
>>7518475
Why would you give the waiter a massive tip if he'll just an hero the next day? Might as well just keep the money.

Other than that, 9/11 plan
>>
I ate there in 1999 with a good friend and his wealthy family.
We played cards and just kept ordering food and sort of snacking, sushi mostly.
It was one of my happiest NYC memories.
I dont remember the food being all that amazing but it was really good.
What you paid for was the outrageous view
>>
>>7518409
>>7518489
Damn, no offense, but you must be pretty old now

t.was only 7 when the attacks occurred
>>
>>7518505
>you must be pretty old now
not everyone here is in their 20s
>>
File: The Dead Joker.jpg (19 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
The Dead Joker.jpg
19 KB, 300x360
>>7518482
Because he'll think life's looking up for him and I'll know it's looking down...
>>
>>7518518
>>7518518
Don't worry Anon, I still think you're cute :33

How long did it take for the elevators to go from the first floor to the restaurant, which was on the last floor?

>>7518519
Edgy, but still solid plan. Let's go together, bro.
>>
>>7518531
I only remember there was a big line for the elevators and they seemed to move really fast.
>>
>>7518405
Considering the government did 9/11 you'd just be arrested by men in black and tortured to find out how you knew their plan.
>>
>>7518431
MODS, time travel cannot affect your current age, so ban this underage fuck, MODS!
>>
>>7518549
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>7518542
Must have been nice seeing the WTC before the attacks. I hear it was a very nice place.

>You will never live in a world where 9/11 never happened and the 90s optimism and cheeriness kept going strong and the drimdark edginess didn't set in
>>
>>7518548
Men-in-black: "Tell me about the planes! Who sent you?"
Anon: "Nobody cared who I was until I went back in time."
Men-in-Black: "If I destroy your time machine, will you die?"
Anon: "It would be extremely painful..."
Men-in-Black: "You're a little guy!"
Anon: "For you."
>>
>>7518573

They always looked like big grey slabs to me

Also wasn't New York in the 90s filled with crime and generally unsafe to be in
>>
>>7518607
The towers looked ugly from the outside, but I've seen some pics of the inside, looks very aesthetic (it just oozes a 90s vibe, if that makes sense, reminds me of the way buildings looked when I was younger).

>Also wasn't New York in the 90s filled with crime and generally unsafe to be in

That's the best part. New York City was sleazy and dingy, but that's what made it great because it's where all the poor students and Bohemians and outcasts flocked to. Now it's just a gentrified shopping mall where a hobo wouldn't be caught walking during the day.
>>
>>7518553
Do you comprehend quantum mechanics? Are you a fucking baker?
>>
>>7518553
I think he's just figuratively retarded, it's slightly rarer.
>>
File: windows_on_the_world.jpg (80 KB, 620x389) Image search: [Google]
windows_on_the_world.jpg
80 KB, 620x389
>there were 81 businessmen from the same firm having a breakfast conference at the Windows on the World restaurant at the time of the first plane crash, in addition to other patrons and staff

Was it worth it, /ck/?
>>
>>7518629
I hope at least the breakfast they served was good and not some cheapskate measly coffee and some fruit and pastries.
>>
>>7518629
>>7518651

>I'm just going to have a light breakfast, I'm having a large lunch later
>>
>>7518629
>The day they decided to install a pit barbecue in the kitchen
>>
>>7518610
They looked great up close too
The problem is they looked like dogshit from any angle other than standing right in the wind tunnel at the base
>>
>>7518659
>tfw you want some eggs and hash-browns and pancakes but have to settle for a shitty cupcake and an orange and some coffee
>you start listening to the boring speaker, anxiously waiting for the lunch break, where surely they'll serve actual food
>you die horribly without ever getting your breakfast

Just cuck my shit up senpai
>>
File: Seinfeld George.jpg (53 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Seinfeld George.jpg
53 KB, 500x375
>>7518629
You know what? I always come up for breakfast with all the guys.
From now on, once we finish the conference and leave this place, I'm going to do the opposite of what I always do.
>>
DELETE THIS THRED
>>
>>7518747
Shut it, and go back to your own time Osama.
>>
>>7518681
keked to infinity
>>
>>7518518
>You will never have an older 4chan-user bf
>>
>>7518505
maybe he was 7 when he was there with his friend that had a wealthy family and tried sushi for the first time
>>
>>7518405
>I'd go back to 9/10 and predict the attacks and then I'd be set for life
Nope, they would accuse you of helping to plot it then torture you in gitmo for a decade.
>>
>>7518505
Yeah, I'm 47. That morning I got a call from a friend telling me I had to go outside and look south because one of the WTC towers was on fire. Walked a couple blocks in the East Village to where I had a clear view just in time to see the second plane hit. Watched the second tower fall from my rooftop. For the next week my neighborhood was pretty much on lockdown, and it smelled like burning insulation for a month after that.
>>
>>7518405
>go back in time
>prevent 9/11 from happening
>you disappear, because you never had any reason to back in time in the first place

at least you don't get sent to gitmo
>>
File: casal dancal.png (18 KB, 276x212) Image search: [Google]
casal dancal.png
18 KB, 276x212
>>7519869
How did you start browsing this place?
>>
>>7520172
Summer 2005 a big project I'd been working on came to an end. Spent a few months catching up on the internet culture I'd missed since SomethingAwful went to shit. Found /b/ pretty quickly. That board's eventual slide into meaninglessness by 2011 meant I needed a new home board. I'm in the music business, so there was no way it was gonna be /mu/. Food and cooking are my other interests, so I started hanging here. Five years later I'm still here.
>>
>>7520206
Nice. I still think it was pretty neat that you actually got to walk inside the WTC. I'm pretty sure a number of people my age find the towers to have a kind of 'mystical' quality to them, due to us being so young when it happened and seeing the reactions of people and the profound change that occurred in the general national mood.

Was the sushi at least good? To be honest, I didn't think sushi had become really popular in the West until near the end of the decade (~2007-).
>>
>>7520498
Never ate there, just played there. My moments of having fuck you money didn't come until after 2001.

But in NYC sushi was a thing hit in the mid 80's. By the early 2000's Little Tokyo had moved to the East Village (just two blocks from me), and we were slurping ramen and going out for yakitori. Then the whole fucking neighborhood became a fine dining destination and an NYU dorm. That's when I left.

But the WTC was something. The elevator up to WoTW was superfast, and the buildings were so tall that you could feel them swaying in the wind on the upper floors. Because buildings that tall have to be able to sway. Weird to experience.
>>
>>7518426
>No Patriot Act
>Airline industry not collapsing
>NSA never given precedent to flourish

Sounds like it would be great, senpai.
>>
>>7518664
heh
>>
File: smuggythefriendlyfrog.jpg (13 KB, 218x232) Image search: [Google]
smuggythefriendlyfrog.jpg
13 KB, 218x232
>"I heard the food at Windows on the World is simply to DIE for," said the business lady to the secretary, as she got on the elevator to the restaurant to have breakfast on a fateful day in 2001.
>>
>>7520576
>Frank Miller would have never gone insane
>>
File: MGTOW conveyance.jpg (75 KB, 695x452) Image search: [Google]
MGTOW conveyance.jpg
75 KB, 695x452
>>7520498
sushi was very popular in L.A. by the late 80s.
in the 90s we used to get all you can eat sushi at a place called edoko.
we would be the only round eyes in the place and the only ones beingf total fucking pigs.
>>
>>7521955
In the 80's sushi was a divisive thing. You had people very enthusiastic about it, and those who swore they would never pay good money to eat raw fish. Also at this time American businesses were studying the Japanese business model, because Japanese business were kicking our asses in a number of fields. This led to a craze for all things Japanese as symbols of success. For a minute (in NYC at least) eating sushi was a way to show the world you were a forward thinking young professional - a really with it yuppie. As the popularity of it grew it shed this stigma. But for a little while going out for sushi had an element of cliqueishness to it - there were people you would invite out for it and others you never would. (I was in college at the time, so I really didn't have the dough to eat sushi regularly until the 90's when it had pretty much lost that. But I remember being aware of it. Someone inviting you out for sushi showed they were comfortable with your sense of taste and level of worldliness.)
>>
>>7521650
Statistically speaking 9/11 Americans wont get this joke
>>
File: WTC Brochure.jpg (62 KB, 504x600) Image search: [Google]
WTC Brochure.jpg
62 KB, 504x600
>>7522043
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.