[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you keep extra food in your pantry for disaster scenarios?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 13
File: 1414628838807.jpg (43 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1414628838807.jpg
43 KB, 640x360
Do you keep extra food in your pantry for disaster scenarios? Storms or what have you , or just in case you are broke for a few weeks? What do you keep or have a stash of? Show me your pantries bb.
>>
>>7514986

Soup, rice, tuna, sardines, etc.
>>
>>7514997
I do the same, I also keep extra rice because my grocery store is always running out of jasmine rice.
>>
File: 1413381007465.jpg (469 KB, 628x834) Image search: [Google]
1413381007465.jpg
469 KB, 628x834
>>7514986
>>
>>7514986
Yes. Dry goods, canned goods, some MREs and water. Also have a box of batteries, candles, glow sticks. Gasoline and $..etc. I've been without any electricity or running water for a month after a hurricane blew through. I always keep a minimum of 1 month worth of supplies. Usually more.
>>
>>7515007
I never thought about stocking oil, I should do that.It seems like olive oil is always getting higher in price.
>>
>>7515008

Yeah, it seems like storms always wipe the shelves clean , I want to have enough so thats not a problem. Or in case i get laid off.
>>
I live in a small town and hate supporting the local businesses because they are run by cunts, so I always stock up on shit when I go shopping. Especially in the winter when I could be snowed in for who knows how long.

Lots of rice, pasta, peanut butter. I always have a big ass bag of flour on the go and do almost all of my own baking, and I have a few extra bottles of oil I rotate through.

I've always lived on farms or in small towns, it's not so much preparing for any kind of disaster, just kind of how life has always been, on account of growing up poor, never knowing when we're going to drive in to the city to go shopping again.
>>
>>7515011
Just use cheap lard or shortening. It's easier to store and will last a bit longer.
>>
>>7515024

But i like olive oil :(
>>
>>7515007
>not putting your dry goods in watertight bins

Do you want ants?
Because that's how you get ants.
>>
>>7515050
There's nothing wrong with storing olive oil. I was just responding to what you said about the costs rising and suggested using a less expensive alternative for storage purposes.
>>
File: 1384597407080.png (362 KB, 638x478) Image search: [Google]
1384597407080.png
362 KB, 638x478
I live in Greece on a island, it hasn't snowed here since the 60s. The biggest weather disaster in recent memory was 3 years when it rained for 3 weeks straight, not even heavy rain.

So I am going to go with no, but I done have a couple of sardines packs in case I run out of shit and money on a sunday or something.
>>
>>7515058
>>7515024
Solid fats are unhealthy and less flexible in the kitchen. They're also not easier to store at all, it makes no difference. And animal-derived fats are always more expensive than cheap plant-derived fats.
>>
>>7515058
Ah I got you, really i know nothing about oils I use olive oil. Because I grew up listening to Rachel ray blab about it. Which is the best oil? canola, vegetable, peanut, other?
>>
no but my friends think i do because i buy dry goods and can a lot of shit
>>
>>7515077

I do my best to avoid canola oil, because I don't like the taste, and vegetable (soybean) oil. Olive oil is probably the "healthiest", but I use a lot of peanut oil when I'm cooking, and sunflower oil when I bake basic ass bread and whatnot.

Use whatever you like.
>>
>>7515077
If your just storing and rotating every couple of months then anything is fine. I like solid coconut oil for long term storage the best. I also keep a few tubs of vacuum sealed lard around too, as a personal preference.
>>
>>7515099
>>7515077
it depends what you're cooking. you don't want to heat an oil past its smoke point. i work in a store that sells olive oils and we tell people not to go higher than 350F with it. sesame oil and peanut oil are good for high heat ~450F
>>
>>7515063
In Greece on an Island? Which one? Or if you don't want to get too specific, which region? You'd most likely run out of fresh water on most Greek Islands, not unless you're on one of the few islands with good ground water or where the residents and local prefecture collects rain water in reservoirs or cisterns. Then you're going to most likely need water purification chemicals.
>>
>>7515121
>>In Greece on an Island? Which one?
Rhodes
>You'd most likely run out of fresh water on most Greek Islands
True, this is a big problem for the smaller islands like Kos the last few years since the summers have been getting more and more hot and dry. This isn't a problem here tho since Rhodes is filled with underground channels. We have a well at our farm house, my uncle has a well even most big hotels tap into whatever is underneath them, mostly for money reasons but still.

Shortage of electricity is a much bigger problem than shortage of water during tourist season since the hotels suck everything dry to the point where sometimes the grid crashes for 3-4 days at a time. Makes cooking harder but we have access to a gas stove which solves that, or hell we just grill some meat and fishes and shit till it passes.
>>
>>7515007
>that much salt in a year
>powdered milk even necessary
>60 fucking pounds of sugar
>>
File: 1374170926137.jpg (445 KB, 780x500) Image search: [Google]
1374170926137.jpg
445 KB, 780x500
>>7515106
Yeah basically I want to just have extra of everything and then just follow first in first out rotation. Im just afraid of bills stacking and some weeks not having enough for groceries and also storms
>>
Ye I have a shit ton of rice/pasta and about 9 months supply of military rations that was given to me
>>
>>7515159
I know I rarely use salt because it seems everything has sodium anyways. I just get a grinder of sea salt mostly for baking and seasoning
>>
>>7515185
What kind of pasta? I would love to find dry ravioli or tortellini
>>
>>7515159
It's for a disaster scenario, bro.

>salt
used to preserve foods for eating later

>powdered milk
Inexpensive source of protein with a long shelf life; also provides nutrients not found in the legumes and grains. Also useful as an adhesive when mixed with a little water.

>sugar
immediate source of energy for work
can also be used for food preservation
can be fermented into alcohol, which in turn has many uses (fuel, medical, and of course recreational)
>>
No because I'm not a delusional prepper and I don't live paycheck to paycheck.

Reminder that dry beans, rice, etc need to be cooked, if something knocked out the grocery store you better believe the power grid is down too. Have fun gnawing your pebbles, cleetus.
>>
>>7515352
>I don't live paycheck to paycheck.
Wouldn't the fact that somebody has enough money to buy all this extra shit mean that that person too isn't living paycheck to paycheck?
>Reminder that dry beans, rice, etc need to be cooked
Are you aware of a thing called fire or generators? They are the latest inventions to hit the street!
>>
>>7515364

While I agree with your point in general, you'd have to be a fucking retard to run a generator in order to power an electric cooking appliance in a survival situation. It would be FAR less wasteful of fuel to cook over it directly rather than deal with the efficiency loss of the generator.

but yeah, there are plenty of ways to cook if the powder grid goes down.
>>
Where do you guys live where you need to stock up on food in case of emergency?
Do you live in secluded cottages in the deep forest? Maybe it's just because I live in a country where the weather never gets extreme, but it seems sort of pointless to me to stock food like that if you live in a first world country.
>>
>>7515392

things can go wrong in any country, anon.
>>
>>7515364
>Wouldn't the fact that somebody has enough money to buy all this extra shit mean that that person too isn't living paycheck to paycheck
I've been on /k/, preppers have fucking crazy priorities on account of their belief that the world is a heartbeat away from a zombie film
>>
>>7515412
Not really. There is literally no way I'm going to wake up one day and out of the blue there is a huge food shortage or a giant riot destroying all supermarkets.
Unless you live in a very unstable country or in a very secluded place with harsh weather there is no reason to stock.
>>
>>7515447
Where are you from?
>>
>>7515447

All supermarkets? Not likely. But an accident involving the power grid could happen at any time. So could a natural disaster like an earthquake. Or (more likely these days) a terrorist incident.

>>there is no reason to stock.
There's always a reason. It's just a matter of balancing the risk vs. the consequences.

Mind you, I'm not advocating prepping like some kind of nutjob. I'm simply pointing out that there is always a risk, albeit a very small one.
>>
>>7515453
I guess natural disasters is a legit argument. We just don't really have those here.

>>7515450
Denmark
>>
>>7515460
>Denmark

Wait until ISIS or whomever blows up (or threatens to blow up) a power station in retaliation for that Mohammad cartoon from years ago and you'll know why people prep.
>>
>>7515465
I assume this is mostly a joke, but I bet there are some people who think like this.
If you live in permanent fear and stocking food helps you sleep I have absolutely no problem with you doing it. I'm just saying that there isn't much point to it.
>>
>>7514986
Not SPECIFICALLY for disasters, but I've always got a week's worth of food on hand. I'm woefully unprepared in the long term though...
>>
>>7515175
I REALLY want to know WHERE this picture is from. I've seen it dozens of times, but I haven't a clue as to which disaster this house was involved in.
>>
>>7515352
>I don't live paycheck to paycheck.
If you lost your income right now how long would it take to run out of cash? This doesn't include credit cards, that's not money.
>>
>>7515485
Obviously you're not American
Stockpiling obsessively for a disaster fantasy is as American as the belief that your life is in mortal danger unless you have machine guns lying around your home and a backup pistol tucked discreetly under your 46 inch belt.
>>
>>7515534
About a year I guess? I'd move in with a relative long before that. Or tap into the IRA, god forbid. Or just apply for welfare. Or more likely just get another job and adjust my spending habits according to my new income.

I fail to see how five hundred pounds of dry lima beans is more reasonable than having multiple forms of assets and a family and social ties. Chances are I'm not eating those beans before they go stale. A week or two of food is enough.
>>
>>7514986
I am eating through my pantry at the moment because im poor and am moving soon. Found a jar of peanut butter and vermicelli noodles, looks like it's satay time.
>>
>>7515007
So, every time I see dried beans as part of an emergency storage program, I rage. If you are in a situation where getting to a store is unlikely, you may very well be without electricity or gas. Dried beans are a hell of an energy expenditure. That's before we start talking about rinse and cooking water.

Now, If you are stocking some because you want to have food available in case of job loss or something, fine, they have their place.

I keep a month or so of "tinned" food on hand. Beef stew, tuna, sardines, vegetables and fruit. I keep a well stocked chest freezer as well. In an emergency that involves power loss, the freezer food gets used first. I have an inverter I can attach to my car to power a freezer for a few hours off and on through the day, and I keep some extra fuel on hand.

At any time I have between 5 and 20 gallons of filtered drinking water to keep me from having to drink water from my well. I keep several jugs of the crappy well water stored to use for flushing the toilet, or for cooking with.

I always have several bags of charcoal in the garage. I would use that for cooking in an emergency involving power loss. I have a bunch of esbit camp stoves and stuff too, but they're mostly for boiling water when I'm /out/,

Let's see. Other emergency supplies...
I have an assload of cheap votive and tea candles for light. Electric camp lanterns with plenty of batteries. A few kerosene lamps. Emergency radio with hand crank. First aid supplies.

I think the important thing to convey here is having a cooking plan. A rack of dried goods does you no fucking good if you can't prepare them. It's as bad as having cans of food and no way to open them.
>>
>>7515447
It doesn't even have to be a major disaster to fuck up the food supply chain. It takes less than 72 hours without a delivery for a major grocery store to run out of food completely. We've seen it happen over and over when there is a run on the stores because of a coming storm, or the supply chain is otherwise disrupted.

I actually write demand planning software for food warehouses. 72 hours is actually a high estimate. The goal for many items in a store is a 48 hour inventory turnover. It's an efficiency thing. You get to devote less space for a particular item on a shelf, so you can stock a larger variety, and as soon as you sell something, the backoffice software orders it again. The reduction in required inventory across your entire chain is also better for your ledgers.

If we can get inventory turnover even lower, we will. It's the entire purpose of the software. Ideally we want to be able to tell a store how many loaves of bread they are going to sell, and have the last one leave the shelf as the delivery driver arrives. At this point, any disruption at all means empty shelves.

And hell, my entire reason to keep a little extra food on hand so I can avoid the mad dash to the store when Winter Storm Helga sweeps in from America's hat.
>>
>>7514986
Yes. I live in the country about 25 miles to the nearest town. During hurricane season you better have a plan. There were some people out here that couldnt get in or out for almost 2 weeks because bridges had been destroyed and water was just rushing through. Most people out here also have a pretty good idea of how to prepare and aren't going to depend on the government or county to get them food and water after disaster strikes. Most of us out here can care for ourselves when SHTF and have a good stash of supplies, food, and water.
>>
I got a week's worth of stuff after Hurricane Sandy. I figure there's no point in prepping, because realistically if the world goes to shit I won't be able to survive since I can barely take care of myself as it is, so I'd just kill myself.
>>
>>7515594
Yeah, I've lived through many of those "runs", they're dumb as fuck. Storm hits, there's a few days of disruption, then it's back to normal.

So what have I learned? I've learned that while cooped up, I get bored. Bored of the food, bored of the drinks.

When I see a storm coming I hit the liquor store pronto. A good bottle of wine for every day I expect to be stuck inside. Then I set a few loaves worth of dough to ferment, and stop at the cheesemonger if there's time. Already got a nice oil lamp, primarily intended for decoration but actually works decently. By the time the power would go out (and it usually doesn't), I'm ready to relax and catch up on my reading.

This is how to ride out a disaster. Not force feeding yourself MREs and sharpening your ESEE junglas combat knife like a sperg. It seems like a form of mental illness, like you people want an excuse to shoot somebody.
>>
>>7515618
So you've identified a shortcoming in yourself, and are taking no steps at all to improve?
>>
>>7515623
Go to the /k/ prepper threads if you want mental illnesses. You'd think they eat bullets.
>>
File: cache_588850604[1].jpg (51 KB, 420x315) Image search: [Google]
cache_588850604[1].jpg
51 KB, 420x315
>>7515007
>all that oil
>powdered milk
>no WATER
Out of all the "emergency scenario" or "doomsday prepper" setups I've seen, very few have probably the most important thing you would need. Water.
If shit hits the fan you can guarantee the water supply would be fucked. Hell we can't even keep a decently supply to people the way it is right now. Look at fucking Flint.
>>
>>7515628
Does water not fall from the sky where you live? Worst case just store some filters.
>>
>>7515631
It's actually illegal to collect rainwater in many jurisdictions. It belongs to the Lord of the Lands.
>>
I probably should as I live in Japan right next to a canal that is frequently used in CGI predictions of what the inevitable nankai trough tsunami will look like.

I am high enough up to survive though and there is a lawson literally next door so I should be able to salvage enough to survive from that.
>>
>>7515526

Despite the look of the house, this was actually in the UK, from flooding in an area below sea level that was prone to flooding.
>>
>>7515637
Who's going to fine you for collecting rainwater when the apocalypse hits? Serious question.
>>
>>7515623
Yeah. I agree. Most things are minor. But I've been through blizzards where you just can't out of your house, let alone to a store for a week or more. Even FEMA recommends you have at least 3 days of food and water cached for emergencies. In the blackout of 2003, my farm was without power for a week. When you're the only resident on your road, they take their time getting to you. I'd hate to see how long I would be without services in a regional disaster.
>>
>>7515624
Improving is hard. Plus if you are talking about "Make yourself useful when world goes to shit" type improving then that is more or less useless in the normal world unless you are willing to argue that learning how to gut pigs, shoot bows and sword fight are skills worth learning.
>>
>>7515642

Nobody is, of course. It's just a factoid to mention.
>>
>>7514986
>Do you keep extra food in your pantry for disaster scenarios?
Not specifically for disaster, no.

However I could live for a several weeks easily off the stuff I normally have on hand. I have canned veggies, homemade preserves/pickles/etc, plenty of dry goods (pasta, flour, cornmeal, couscous, beans of various sorts, etc.), cured meats requiring no refrigeration, plus a bunch of meat, poultry, and fish in the deep freezer (much of which will stay frozen for at least 10 days even if the power were out). I've got a small grill, a large smoker, plenty of dry firewood, a propane camp stove, wok burner & several tanks of propane. I'm not overly worried.
>>
>>7515631
Filters are a great investment. I have a berkey filtration system as part of my supplies. The problem is, that you need to store some water to last until the rains fall. Just last year Toledo and surrounding areas were hit with an algae bloom that made the water unsafe. Boiling actually killed the algae and released a toxin, making it even worse. There were people pulling guns over a case of water. A few berkeys set up at a church or something would have eliminated all of that.

I think what people have to remember is that there is a logical amount of disaster preparedness for your lifestyle,and area that makes sense to maintain.

You don't have to be a doomsday prepper. You just have to keep enough on hand to get you through the usual shit. Extremes are stupid in general. If you have it in your head that the options are either not prepping at all, or stockpiling 10 years of MREs, you're just being stupid.
>>
>>7515663
>Extremes are stupid in general.

You forget where you are, anon. Logic and reason have no place on 4chan. It's either one extreme or the other around here.
>>
>>7515121
A lot can go wrong in a place like Rhodes, first being a major earthquake, massive fires. Then what? Hopefully they didn't skimp on building all those huge hotel complexes and homes, luckily not too many residences that are more than 3 or 4 floors on Rhodes in case of earthquake and hopefully they were built to code.

You'd probably be ok though on a place like Rhodes, doubt the local populace would chimp out in a huge disaster like an earthquake and make things much worse.

Funny I have a summer home on and Island next to Rhodes that although has its own mini powerplant, it draws most of its power from Rhodes and it has major water shortages, even though most homes have cisterns, the dumb dumbs don't fill them with rain water. I never experienced a blackout on Rhodes or that island in summer and I've spent a lot of time on both islands. I did experience brownouts where I couldn't get a 8l pot of water to boil for 30minutes and yea, used a propane tank & burner and the air conditioner was barely able to cool the home when it usually makes it an ice box.
>>
>>7515645
I don't think you have to take up animal husbandry and butchering to be a productive member of society. Pick up some disciplines. Gardening for example will provide you with fresh ingredients, and a skillset that is useful in a pinch. Add canning to it and you've just reduced your year round grocery bill whether there is a disaster or not. When did knowing useful skills become a negative thing?
>>
>>7514986
if there's a natural disaster, government sends out water and food. if its a nuclear war you're dead from radiation/nuclear winter.
>>
>>7515676
I have yet to see a government not totally fuck shit up in a disaster.
>>
>>7515669
There's a prepper on youtube: Canning Meat 2 yr results, cans just about anything for long periods of time and even once opened a 2yr jar of canned meat and ate it.

>>7515683
The great and honorable Reagan said something about that once. The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help. - Ronald Reagan
>>
>>7515683
Some parts of UK were flooded this year, the army was out clearing up the same day.
>>
>>7515692
>I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
Whelp, I just shit my pants.
>>
>>7515692
Yeah, meat cans well. I grew up on sausages that were canned in pig fat on my grandparents farm. I would think nothing of it to eat a 2 year old jar. I mean, use your nose. But if it doesn't smell off, and the lid seal is intact and not bulging, it's probably safe to eat.
>>
>>7515077
i just avoid canola oil after my prifessor went on a rant how bad it was, i cant remember most of it except it can cause hypertension if used regularly. use what you like.
>>
>>7515766
Seems like there isn't really any good oils for cooking. I use lard, butter and vegetable oil, and occasionally canola for frying.
>>
>>7515835
Oh and coconut oil but only in very specific applications since it's kind of expensive.
>>
>>7515835
Oil selection comes down to the application. I use peanut for frying. Olive for saute. EV Olive for dressings. I do have some coconut oil now as well. It was marked down at the store, and I wanted to try it.
>>
>>7515846
Pretty much the same but I prefer canola for frying since people can be allergic to peanut.
>>
>>7515855

Do you often find yourself cooking for people with peanut allergies? Just curious; I can't see why that would be an issue unless you or a family member were allergic.
>>
>>7515063
If you are on an island in Greece then being swarmed by refugees and clogging up the local infrastructure is a very real possibility. You should have at least a weeks supply just in case.
>>
>>7515076
>Solid fats are unhealthy
A straight up lie. Animal fats are healthier than oil/butter/margarine and have extremely low saturated fat content.

>They're also not easier to store at all
Lie number 2. The fact that they are angular in shape and are denser compared to plastic or glass bottles makes you completely wrong.

>And animal-derived fats are always more expensive than cheap plant-derived fats
And that's strike 3.

Please shitpost elsewhere, this is a good thread so far.
>>
File: Ainsley oil up.jpg (67 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
Ainsley oil up.jpg
67 KB, 500x347
>>7515077
The best oil is Ainsley.
>>
>>7515077
Here, everything you ever wanted to know about various oils from a trusted source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33675975
>>
>>7515352
I have noticed this strange reaction before. People talk a massive amount of shit when they hear about someone preparing for a potential problem and there is genuine hate in their words.

It's like some weird pre-emptive form of jealousy against those that cared about their loved ones more than you did so you transfer this anger from yourself to those that did.

It's fascinating.
>>
>>7515392
First world country eh, well America has the whole range of issues from hurricanes, to flood, to droughts, to blizzards that can ruin a community for weeks. Ditto Canada.

Even going eastwards to Europe Scotland gets fucked over by blizzards every winter, there are constant floods all over England that destroy villages, The Scandinavian countries get raped with the cold, there are Mediterranean towns where everything other than drinking water is just pumped in seawater due to insufficient infrastructure.

This can strike anywhere at any time, but a true global problem would be the financial crash. There have been hundreds of thousands of families rendered homeless from that around the world.

Don't live in a bubble anon, you will be in for a rude awakening when it bursts.
>>
File: London riots.jpg (3 MB, 4248x2052) Image search: [Google]
London riots.jpg
3 MB, 4248x2052
>>7515447
>There is literally no way I'm going to wake up one day and out of the blue there is a huge food shortage or a giant riot destroying all supermarkets.

I'm sure that's what everyone in London thought the day before the city erupted into chaos.
>>
>>7515118
What does f mean?
>>
>>7515948
Fahrenheit. It's a unit of temperature.
>>
>>7515118
And the smoke point is really the entire difference in most foods you are going to use it in. If you know your smoke points, and use them to gauge how hot your oil is, you will get great results every time. Simply heat the oil until you see small wisps of smoke, back the temperature off slightly, and add your ingredients.
>>
>>7515942
huehue

I played "find the white guy" in the picture montage. Took at least a minute.
>>
>>7515924
>those normies are just jealous of my stash of expired MREs and greasy nuggets that haven't been fired since the second world war, reeeeeee normieeeee get out get out get ouuuuut
you should call your parents more often, they worry about you
>>
>>7515986
You're doing it again and it never ceases to be amusing. What exactly causes this reaction? It just reeks of teenage girl jealousy.
>>
>>7515447
not to be alarmist, but a high altitude EMP could fuck everything up instantly and for a very long time.

Having a week or two of food put aside gives you a buffer to figure out a new food source.
>>
>>7515995
>What exactly causes this reaction?

It's how people are raised. You know where you are in grade school and someone makes a mistake and then the teacher corrects them? People learn that behavior. When you see someone doing something incorrect and/or stupid then you correct that person.

Making sure you have enough non-perishables on hand to provide for yourself (and/or your family) for a few days makes perfect rational sense. Going all-out doomsday prepper is irrational behavior and ought to be corrected as such.
>>
>>7516005
That's nice, go back to /b/ and tell them about your le epic trolle.
>>
>>7515485
>I assume this is mostly a joke, but I bet there are some people who think like this.
Yeah it's not like the past week the media has been absolutely shitting itself with the Belgian nuclear power plant where it has been revealed:
2 of the workers left to fight in Syria
One of the security guards was murdered and the only thing stolen was his security badge
Someone messed with the lubricant of the turbines causing a five month shutdown for repairs from friction damage
>>
>>7516009

What troll? Someone posted a question, and I answered it.
>>
>>7515077
Rosemary infused duck fat
>>
>>7516019
Several people were answering it and you started shitposting.

This is the last reply your bait will get out of me, you sad little man.
>>
>>7515642
When the apocalypse hits, do YOU have time to collect water? Does it rain on that exact day?

Didn' t think so.
>>
>>7516005
How is it irrational? Someday this day will come and you' ll be unprepared.
>>
>>7516025
>Several people were answering it

No, there was only one post between mine (7516005) and the question (7515995). And that post discussed high altitude EMPs; in other words it did not answer the question posed.

And no, I'm not shitposting, that was an honest answer to the question--in my opinion anyway.
>>
>>7516026
>do YOU have time to collect water?

Yep. Two water heaters in the house; one is 60 gallon, the other is 80 gallon. All I need to do is open the drain valve at the bottom of each.
>>
>>7516036
I hope you're purging those regularly. You'll get a lot of rust and sediment that collects at the bottom of the tank. It's a good plan, but if you're going to make use of it, empty them once a month to avoid a brown undrinkable mess when you need it.
>>
>>7516029
>How is it irrational?

First off, let me point out that I said that keeping non-perishables on hand for a few people for several days is a prudent idea. I said that going all-out is irrational.

As for why it is irratitional? It's a matter of comparing the risk with the effort involved. The chance of a true "doomsday" scenario happening is astonishingly small. And if such a thing really did happen having a cellar packed with MREs (or what most serious preppers do) isn't going to help much anyway. Perhaps you survive for 90 days instead of 40. So what?
>>
>>7516029
>will come
You mean might. And the events described in the book of Revelation might happen too, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Like I've said elsewhere ITT: small regional crises are nothing new where I live. No need for tactical body armor and colloidal silver. Just a reasonable supply of good tasting nonperishable food, and something nice to drink.

Spend more time on making your life stable and safe in the real world, and you won't need to pray for TEOTWAWKI to liberate you from the daily grind.
>>
>>7516042
So you don't think you could come up with some way to feed yourself with an extra 50 days? I'm confident I could get a good crop of microgreens in that time if I had to grow indoors. If the seasons are right, that's the difference between getting a harfest out of a garden or not.

I'm actually with you on the moderation argument, but if are delusional, the extra time could give you time to enact other plans.
>>
>>7516041

First off, I do drain them every few months.

Second, if it's a survival situation I don't give a rat's ass about if there is a little rust in the water or not. Not only is it trivially easy to remove (strain water through just about anything to act as a filter), but it's pretty much harmless. Drinking water with pipe sediment in it might be gross, but it will keep me alive. It's a survival situation, not a fucking 3-star restaurant. The water doesn't need to be perfect.
>>
>>7516054
This is actually my thought on prepping. Every prep you make should have a positive impact on your daily life. It's stupid to store what you don't eat for times that may never come. If you want to add a little extra non-perishable food to a rotation you already eat out of, fine. Good call. It will give you a buffer in your pantry that will allow you only buy when shit is on sale.

Storing 120 lbs of pinto beans is stupid if you don't regularly eat pinto beans.
>>
>>7516059
>So you don't think you could come up with some way to feed yourself with an extra 50 days?

I'd either be able to come up with it in well under that time, or I'd be fucked as a result of nuclear fallout anyway.

But now we're getting far off topic from the original question. If shit really hit the fan I would start eating my non-perishables as needed, but one of the first things I'd start doing was looking for safe sources of food and water on day one. I hunt (often) and fish (not so often) so I'd start looking into those methods to find food. And of course the perishables get consumed before anything that keeps well. Game gets eaten first. Whatever is in my fridge is 2nd to get eaten. Freezer is 3rd. I'd start thinking about ways to long-term preserve things that I currently had in the freezer so that I could store them longer if needed. (e.g. take the venison haunch out of the deep freeze and smoke it so I can store it now that the freezer can't run with no electricity)
>>
>>7515577
I always hated tealight candles, you have to light about 20 of them just to see in front of you.

Also anyone can open a tin of food without an opener, there is a youtube channel with this Russian does all sorts of "hacks" and you can scrape the lid off using a flat rock, it wears down the rim and the little seal on the lid. You can also dent it and keep bending it to gain access as it is split in two.

Not the most dignified methods but better than starving to death.

I agree with your beans taking a massive amount of energy and effort to prepare. If you are innawoods in a cabin with a log stove then dried good wouldn't be an issue, but if you are in a flat in central London surrounded by riots and power outages, they might as well be a bag of rocks.
>>
>>7515594
I second this. I worked as a shelf stacker at a supermarket and we had at least 2 deliveries in every 8 hour shift.

People seem to believe that we have some sort of storage room at the back of the shop or in a cellar and it simply isn't true.

We had a walk in fridge for the perishable items that would be sold quickly like butter and bacon so would always have a slight excess ready to go out on the shelves.

Aside from that there was nothing. Behind those employee only doors is a toilet, a canteen and a delivery bay. What is on the shelves is what we have.
>>
>>7516025
Jesus, you preppers do not really take well to points of view that don't align with your apocalyptic beliefs, do you
>>
@7516405
There is no way you aren't simply shitposting at this point.
>>
>>7515924
>>7515940

>being smug about being a paranoid faggot

Literally nothing could reasonably happen in Amsterdam that would warrant me to utilize parts of my 65m2 apartment for stocking fucking bags of rice. Worst case scenario I'd go hungry for a day or two.
>>
>>7516425
>Literally nothing could reasonably happen in Amsterdam
I bet everyone thought the same in Brussels, Paris, London and countless others.

You are one ignorant fuck.
>>
File: the_shit_will_hit_the_fan_soon.jpg (94 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
the_shit_will_hit_the_fan_soon.jpg
94 KB, 650x433
>>7516425
b-but fox news said theirs mooslims!!! they could invade and then it would be like Red Dawn, a documentary I saw about how America won the cold war!
>>
File: rarest_pepe.gif (460 KB, 300x202) Image search: [Google]
rarest_pepe.gif
460 KB, 300x202
>>7516441
yeah because thousands of parisians starved to death after their patisseries ran out of bon-bons in the mad rush to stockpile food after the bataclan attacks. the lamestream media suppressed the news but I read all about it on alexjones.net!!
>>
>>7516441
Yeah boy those cities sure were demolished for weeks on end huh? Non-stop shooting at every corner am I right? Unstocked supermarkets, water and food shortages, lights out, internet gone. Complete chaos.

Fucking idiot, I'm not denying the riots but there sure as shit were no food or power shortages that took weeks like you nutjobs seem to prepare for.
>>
>>7515924
It's not hate anon. It's pity.
>>
>>7516458
No, it's an extremely odd form of pre-emptive jealousy. The only ones who are pitied here would be the ones who depend on you when there is a power outage or blizzard and your ignorant bubble prevented you from taking care of them.

The ignorant droning on of some stranger on an anime website cooking sub-board is but the buzzing of flies. My family have peace of mind, everything else is irrelevant.
>>
>>7516457
Why are you getting angry? It's a that pre-emptive jealousy again.

It's Pascals wager, so you live your life in a bubble of ignorance and let your family suffer when that bubble is burst while my family will be safe and secure, laughing at your suffering.

Sucks to be you.
>>
>>7516441
You know what happened on July 7th 2007 in London?

The shops stayed open and people went shopping as they normally do. Lorries delivered stock to the shops. Workers stacked the shelves. People went to the shops on the 8th of July.

"Prepper" is an odd American paranoia that stems from fear and unhinged panic, which largely doesn't affect the rest of the population of the western world.
>>
>>7516467
>No, it's an extremely odd form of pre-emptive jealousy.

No, really, it's pity. I worry about people who go through life so highly strung they're expecting the world to end at any given moment. That must be exhausting.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 480x360
>>7516467
>spending all your effort getting ready for the rapture because you know you're getting Left Behindâ„¢
I feel genuinely sorry for unsaved souls who have not accepted the salvation of our Lord Jesus Christ

It's like you literally want to go to heck, have fun squabbling over the mutilated corpses of the darned while I and my family are literally lifted into Heaven by God Himself
>>
>>7516476
>they're expecting the world to end at any given moment.
You're doing as lot of projecting there skip, but you forgot to mention zombies or other such hyperbole.

I can just feel that frothing jealousy in every one of your passive aggressive posts because there is always that doubt in your mind, eating away, "should I maybe take even the most basic of precaution to look after my family, nah fuck it".

I bet you don't even have life insurance.
>>
>>7516467

It's pity mate. I can't imagine what it's like to feel so fucking scared all the time. Must be tough.

>>7516471

Great rebuttal, calling me angry for calling you out on your bullshit. Nothing is happening, nothing is going to happen to my family because I don't live in the Wild West during the 19th century. The only thing that could happen is the slight chance of me or my loved ones getting offed through a random terrorist attack, and I'm not going to walk around in protective gear. Might seem like a logical step for you, though.
>>
My mormon neighbors have about 2 years of food stashed away for some kind of happening. I will just leech off them
>>
>>7516483
Lke I said before, hyperbole reflects badly upon yourself, but then shitposters care not for how badly they look. You just want to ruin a thread that you have no interest in.

You are the vegentarian that ruins a recipe thread because it contains meat, you can't just ignore it, your autism compels you to shitpost against it.
>>
>>7516490
You are one autistic fuck.
>>
>>7516486
Who needs insurance when you can just shoot at death with your stockpile of weapons? I have over 100,000 rounds of ammo stashed under my bed, you can try and come and get it if you dare.

You weak little sheeple are pathetic, always crying to big strong men like me (RRRAWRR!) when the shit hits the fan. Which it will, any day now, I can just feel it.
>>
>>7516497

Says the retard hoarding dried fucking beans
>>
>>7516497
He just wants a response out of you, you do understand that right? He could be a prepper for all we know but his only goal is to shitpost for (you)s.
>>
>>7516500
Don't forget the 100 liters of canola oil, one day you'll see. He'll be the king of his kingdom with all that canola oil, the women will be literally throwing themselves at his feet and begging for his cock, finally.
>>
>>7516502
Yeah, I guessed as much. I would report his shitposts and thread derailing but I believe in freedom of speech too much to go through with it, even though he deserves it for ruining a thread.

C'est la vie.
>>
>>7516502

I'm not shitposting, I'm just not a scared manchild who thinks the world is on a permanent hinge of destruction. Preppers are the epitome of American stereotypes.
>>
>>7516486
I have life insurance because I have a mortgage, and that requires me to be able to pay off the balance should I die. That's a prudent measure.

I don't have a special rom with 40 days worth of food because, you know what, I can't imagine a single situation that would require me to have 40 days worth of food that doesn't involve a complete and total collapse of civil society, and in such a situation 40 days worth of food isn't going to do dick.

That's possibly because I don't spend my entire life worrying myself into an early grave about every possible 1-in-a-billion possibility and then imagining super-hero like scenarios where I save the day with my stock of tined cream corn.
>>
>>7516472
>silence intensifies
I love it how this prepper has no idea what actually happens in a national emergency, other than what his wingnut blogs speculate would happen.

I live in NYC, was here through the 9/11 attacks and the 2003 blackout, and Sandy. It was rough but not for the reasons your average doomsday fantasist would expect.
>>
>>7514986
>or just in case you are broke for a few weeks
Is this a thing that a significant number of people actually have to worry about in the west? Is it just because I am a white person that I cannot relate to this at all?
>>
>>7516502

You're retarded.

>>7516507

You're somehow more retarded. Congrats, here's your award.
>>
>>7515869
> have extremely low saturated fat content.
High saturated fat content is the only reason some fats are solid at room temperature and others aren't.
And there is no place on earth where animal fats are cheaper than a basic vegetable oil.
Basically, you are a moron.
>>
>>7516534
Probably the inevitable consequence of a paranoid disposition that eschews regular employment and conventional forms of financial security in favor of gas masks, sacks of morgan dollars for barter, advanced water purification systems, body armor, and a platoon's worth of small arms.
>>
>>7516536
And yet you are wrong, dumb cunt.
>>
File: Fractured ass.jpg (44 KB, 680x570) Image search: [Google]
Fractured ass.jpg
44 KB, 680x570
>>7516542
>That sheer frothing jealousy
>>
>>7515352
not having at least one wood stove,

shiggy
>>
>>7514986
No, I welcome death.
>>
>>7516552
No one is jealous of your mental illness
>>
>>7514986
like 7 cases of water bottles and 20 of those gallon things. As for food, I always have pearled barley, flour, and wheat berries
>>
>>7516491
Mormons have absolutely no problem blowing you away to protect their stashes. I don't agree with their beliefs, but some of the best marksmen I know are Mormons.

They view themselves as a people that have been shit on repeatedly by the rest of the world, and are done with it.
>>
>>7516557
If you aren't in a place where you can get wood easily in a disaster, like say a city, that stove does shit. I love my wood burner, but I have a copicing lot. Wood is not exactly the most energy dense material in the world. You would be better off with coal or propane.
>>
>>7518360
In a disaster/survival situation you can burn nearly anything in a woodburning stove, coal included.

And if the natural disaster is destructive (storm, earthquake, war) then you have a massive amount of debris that can be used to fuel the stove.
>>
>>7518391
Most debris will be from collapsed homes. It will be mostly soft woods. It will burn like shit. And yeah, we're going to argue this point. Part of preparedness is finding the weakness in your plans and shoring them up. I agree, wood burners are awesome, but the last thing you want to be doing is sorting through debris and crawling over collapsed houses trying to find suitable material. It's a good way to get injured. Besides, part of why I prep is that I am a first responder. My time would be better spent digging out survivors and putting out fires. Get your shit in order now so your family can be comfortable while you help others.
>>
>>7518412

Sure, soft wood burns like shit. But if I'm simply trying to prevent myself from starving that's perfectly OK.

>>but the last thing you want to be doing is sorting through debris
Why? sorting through debris is how you find the materials needed to survive. Food, fuel, materials for shelter and storing clean water, tools, medical supplies, etc, can all be found in debris.
>>
>>7518422
Because it's a good way to get nails through your feet, wounds from falling into sharp debris, is perceived as looting by authorities and home owners, and gets in the way of rescue efforts. Most disasters will have an emergency response. Getting in their way just endangers others. We're not talking zombie apocalypse here. The most likely thing you will see in your life is natural disaster.
>>
>>7518422
Enjoy your arsenic soaked plywood
>>
>>7518436
I don't think it's a legitimate concern. You have a chimney. I'd be more concerned with creosote buildup. But then, we're not talking long term solutions.
>>
>>7518436
That's fine. I'm not eating it, I'm burning it. Besides which, plywood would be a last choice for fuel since it's unlikely to be in the right shape to stick in the stove anyway. Scraps of 2x4 and similar are much more likely to be found, and more useful as fuel. Yeah it's likely to be pine wood, but who cares? It will still boil water and cook food.

>>7518433
I'm not a retard, anon. I am well aware of the risks. I'm not going to go around climbing on a 30 foot pile of debris that's likely to fall, and I'm certainly not going to interfere with rescue workers. I am a metalworker by trade and I regularly go to junkyards to source parts and materials. I'm used to climbing on and around piles of sharp metal bits. I've been doing so for years and I have zero injuries to date. I'm an amateur rock climber and I have a lot of outdoors experience--I know what I can do safely and what I cannot.

>>The most likely thing you will see in your life is natural disaster.
Yep. Been through hurricane Ike in Kemah. Burned scrap lumber from the house across the street to cook with before relief arrived.
>>
>>7518443
>I don't think it's a legitimate concern

Posts of the "Enjoy your...." format are never of legitimate concern.
>>
>>7515623
That sounds comfy as fuck.
>>
>>7516192
Just-in-time inventory. AKA 'the bosses make shitloads when everything runs smoothly, but one little delay and everyone else gets fucked.'
>>
>>7518641
The real reason is that it reduces the amount of space you need in your building to store shit, means the product only needs to be handled once, and it reduces ullage through theft and breakage as it sits in back. And yes, they are intimately aware of the shortcoming in a JIT system. The long long nights getting emergency patches in place when something goes wrong are part of the joy of being me.
>>
>>7518817
>>7518641

JIT also reduces the taxes a business has to pay on inventory, and it reduces risk if they order a product that turns out not to sell well.
>>
>>7515623
What a truly naive comment.
>>
lolwut

i usually only have about a week's worth of food in my apartment at one time
>>
>>7519228
you forgot to say "sheeple"
>>
>>7519243
I guess you'll be begging for my cans of creamed corn when the north korean army invades

it will be any day now, I can feel it

but you can't have any corn. I need it to buy myself a SHTF bride
Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.