[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Corn Flour
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: corn flour.jpg (229 KB, 620x565) Image search: [Google]
corn flour.jpg
229 KB, 620x565
Hi /ck/ I could use some help/ideas while I'm feeling ambitious.

I bought a big ol' bag of corn flour to use for my corn-fried haddock (which was great btw) but I have a ton left over. Are there any easy recipes using corn flour (besides fried seafood)?

I found this recipe for cookies
>http://kirbiecravings.com/2014/11/momofukus-corn-cookies.html

But I don't know what "freeze dried corn powder" is. I've never heard of this before - is it something I can easily find at any supermarket?

Any recipe will do - savory or sweet so throw me your suggestions!
>>
>>7511729
>red mill anything
"no"
>>
>>7511837
I have this big overstock-type store nearby that sells assloads of Red Mill for dirt cheap

>>7511729
Make cornbread
>>
Make some pupusas, ya dingus
>>
Cook with water 1:2 closed lid, add some coarsely ground nuts for texture, refrigerate 1/2 inch flat, coat with egg and milk powder or honey or other protein/lipid/reducing sugar mixture, and bake.

Now obviously you could also add a solid fat and sugar instead and make cookies, or yeast and try bread. But at that point you're basically in the realm of gluten-free baking and you'd be better off just adding rice flour, potato starch and xanthan. But this is supposed to be a corn-based food alright, so you just add water to that shit and something to Maillard it as outlined above. It gives a nice crunchy cracker type thing with a softish interior kind of like fries. Obviously you want to add spices by preference and serve with fish not meat
>>
>>7511848
I thought cornbread was made with corn meal, not corn flour. Otherwise I would've been all over that shit.

>>7511850
You can't make pupusas with corn flour, it has to be corn meal

>>7511878
Thanks for the suggestion. What kind of nuts? And corn flour:water 1:2 or water:corn flour?

What kind of nuts do you recommend? I feel like walnuts are the only good option. I also have rosemary honey from Spain which I've been told would be better in a dinner dish than in my tea.
>>
>>7511729
For the longest time I thought the bottle on the left read "Cum Powder"
>>
>>7511920
As you know the difference between cornmeal and corn flour is primarily in texture (although different cultivars and processing may be used). Of course texture is somewhat important and the smaller grind means it hydrates faster, but to be honest my suggestion is just based on using corn flour instead of cornmeal and adding something else so it's not just a solid block of boring. I'd say the same thing applies if you're going for cornbread. You can also do corn-based pancakes, but again the lack of gluten makes corn less suitable for these sorts of endeavors and you'd have to add some extra protein, starch and a binding agent if you use a leavening agent.
Of course the catch-all solution would be to add gluten which is going to open up a lot of possibilities but the question is if you actually want to buy extra ingredients to make use of this corn flour.
>>
>>7511986
I've made johnny cakes (corn-like flapjacks from the 1700's, a New England recipe) using corn meal, but I bet they would be better with corn flour so that's an idea! They were like 3 ingredients if I remember.

I prefer mealy, dense, southern-style cornbread. I imagine if I tried to make my cornbread with corn flour, it would end up like the very cake-ey New England cornbread, is that correct?

I need to buy eggs anyway, so if I have to go buy some gluten and more ingredients to do something interesting, I'm down with that. What do you have in mind?
>>
>>7512004
I really don't have anything more specific, I'm just throwing some ideas out. It all varies with what you like as well. Typically I like to experiment in the kitchen so that's why my advice is vague. Of course cooking it up with water and then baking it is not very ambitious at all, it's barely even a recipe, but if you like crunch and the taste of corn it might be adequate. If you mix gluten and corn flour 9/91 and possibly add some starch, it should be somewhat similar to wheat flour in that you can simply use a leavening agent and make a fluffy corn-based dough
>>
>>7511837
Their muslix is awesome and really the only muslix you can find at the grocery store anymore. Sure you could probably make it yourself cheaper but whatever sometimes it's only $2.50 a bag
>>
>>7511729
The link to the recipe mentions how to get freeze dried corn powder.

>>7512004
I've never used this more finely milled corn flour, only corn meal, but according to the label in the image you uploaded it makes cornbread richer. That could mean anything, I suppose, but it will certainly make the bread less grainy. I'm fairly certain that most "cakey" cornbreads you'll find have a high proportion of wheat flour in them.

I've recently gotten into cooking johnnycakes, or at least something like it, with butter and maple syrup on them. It's cheap, filling, and delicious, and way easier than pancakes.

>>7512103
Listen to this anon, he has useful information.
>>
>>7512125

your post is straight fucked bro

Bob's Red mill sells Muesli, not mueslix. Mueslix is the Kellogg's brand muesli which is undoubtedly easier to find than Bob's.
>>
>actually buying government subsidised corn flour
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.