[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I understand country gravy. I do not understand brown gravy.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 480x480
I understand country gravy. I do not understand brown gravy. Please help. I am experimenting. Where does it go?
>>
>>7508357

>pic related
>your pic

On mashed potatoes you tard.
>>
>>7508357

What don't you understand? You mix starch with fatty meat drippings over heat = brown gravy.
>>
File: o[1].jpg (90 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
o[1].jpg
90 KB, 1000x665
Loco moco and poutine.

Also whatever the fuck you roasted up in order to make the gravy from...
>>
>>7508357

A "brown" sauce is usually made from a roasted broth/stock. Where the bones are roasted in the oven first, before making the broth/stock.

A gravy is a sauce made with the fat of the animal.

So, butter + flour & roasted chicken stock == a chicken volute sauce. ( A volute is a sauce made with a stock)

turkey fat (pan drippings) + flour + turkey stock made from roasted turkey bones == Turkey Gravy. a gravy which is dark because of the roasted bones.
>>
>>7508357

It goes on starch.

Any starch. Rice, bread, mashed potatoes, I've even used it on pancakes and it didn't turn out terrible. It wasn't good but it was edible.
>>
>>7508357
My mom used to put homemade brown gravy over meatloaf instead of the typical ketchup sauce. I still make it for myself sometimes, it's delicious.
>>
Brown gravy is made with rue and broth. The color comes from the rue being brown and not blonde.
>>
>>7509001
>rue
>>
File: gravy.jpg (36 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
gravy.jpg
36 KB, 500x500
My mom always used this and called it gravy :(
I can't blame her. She did her best.
>>
>>7508987
Your mom knows what's up, gravy on meatloaf is way better than that ketchup shit
>>
>>7508946
>I've even used it on pancakes

nigga why'd you do that
>>
>>7508357
Goes better with poultry and oven-cooked meat more than country gravy, which pairs well with pan fried meats.
>>
>>7510442

My girlfriend's mom used to make "golden sauce" when my girlfriend was a kid, which was cream of chicken with some spices and thickened with flour. They'd serve it over rice as a side dish. I tried it once and it was pretty good, but I would assume any salty and savory sauce would taste fine on rice.
>>
>>7510485
they thickened it with flour? it's already thickened with cornstarch lol. yeah my mom always 'doctored' it up too with garlic powder and dried herbs. It's not bad as a sauce.
>>
>>7510494

I think she might have thinned it out with a bit milk or something and then adjusted the thickness with flour.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.