[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How profitable would you say a 24 hour donut shop is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7
File: semen.jpg (700 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
semen.jpg
700 KB, 3008x2000
How profitable would you say a 24 hour donut shop is?
>>
DUDE
>>
>>7506877
Depends on the location, clientele, popularity, customer awareness and quality of product.
>>
>>7506877
Bout tree fiddy
>>
>>7506877
pretty darn, OP. pretty dern.
>>
It depends on location and quality. You can be open 24 hours or 3, if your donuts suck you aren't making any money.
>>
>>7506877
If you have marketing that can get people in the door around the clock, then probably quite profitable. Since most shops sell all their donuts in the morning, it's going to be simplest to make all the goods in the wee hours and close up when you sell out at 9-10 AM or so. That way you can essentially hire one crew and sell 90% of what you'd sell being open all day, while keeping a tight lid on quality control.
>>
Tim Hortons is pretty damn profitable and its 24/7

although their donuts in off hours is shit and stale (not like its better during the rush hours)
>>
>>7506877
17%
>>
Find a place next to a police station
>>
>>7506877
24 hours is a bad idea unless you have a full menu. just doughnuts i would recommend closing at 10 and opening at 5. i mean thats how my local doughnut shop works.
>>
like many said, depends on location.

i could see one doing well on the vegas strip / fremont with the drunks, alcoholics, and tourist.

but one in lets say downtown phoenix? nah wouldn't work at all.
>>
>>7506896
Not true. Bad food is a niche market.
>>
>>7506887
not in the mood for that shit fuck face, my wife's son recently passed away.
>>
>>7507359
Did he die around three fiddy in the afternoon?
>>
>>7507359
>my wife's son
BIG
>>
>>7507359
Sorry to hear about that, my wife's son is currently in my wife's belly. Due to be born in about 7 weeks.
>>
>>7507405
Post about it in your blog
>>
>>7507414
k
>>
QUITE
>>
>>7507417
In all seriousness though congrats on the kid. Boy or girl?
>>
>>7506877
I worked for a donut shop that tried to be open 5am to 8pm, and it was failing. The guy refused to do anything other than donuts and bad coffee, AND we're in the suburbs.
If you find a college town and figure how to do.. kolaches or something during non peak donut hours, you'll probably be okay.
Look into the Daylight flour company.
That's the brand i worked for, but they allow a large amount of creative control for the franchise owners. The guy i worked for was just an idiot
>>
>>7507428
>Boy or girl
Fuck off back to /pol/ with this type of bullshit
>>
>>7507428
You'll have to check my blog for the answer
>>
File: meowmeowtartarcontrol.jpg (121 KB, 500x718) Image search: [Google]
meowmeowtartarcontrol.jpg
121 KB, 500x718
>tell cops free coffee
>tell firefighters free coffee
>tell paramedics free coffee
>shit coffee
>charge for donuts
>????
>profit
>>
>>7507461
Come on, bro, I just want to find out whether you'll be an uncle or an aunt.
>>
>>7507355
And niche markets do not work in every venue.
>>
noon to midnight seems to be working pretty well for my favorite (vegan) donut place in Barcelona. It's consistently packed. They sell savory junk too. You need to diversify and have something unique to offer.
>>
>>7506877
A donut shop near the high way that also serves coffee and maybe some small, rustic meals could become popular among truckers and commuters alike.
>>
>>7507464
The overhead on coffee is much, much higher than the overhead on donuts.
>>
>>7507089
That's funny, but I don't think cops like to take their breaks close to the station. You'd get all the cop doughnut break business if it's in a highway interchange area. You'd get a lot of morning commuter business, too.
>>
>>7507089
Don't police eat at places that give them free shit because they like having police around?
>>
>>7506877
That depends on the loli vampire population, but I'd say pretty well, especially in some place like Seattle.
>>
>>7506881
WEED
>>
>>7506877

If it's in my town then VERY.
>>
>>7506877
Why are you posting a picture of semen-glazed buttholes?
>>
>>7506877
I'd say very, but only if you make everything from scratch. I live in Toruń, Poland. There's a pączki shop that opened on the main street of Old Town a couple months back. The shop has clients queueing throughout the day because they make the donuts fresh and you can see them make them. Plus the smell...oh god that sweet sweet smell of fried pączki.

Of course you work all the time and smell like a paczek at the end of the day but I suppose you're already aware of that.
>>
>>7507405
Is she and her boyfriend going to let you help decide on a name?
>>
Do people still eat donuts? I thought all the fitfags demonized donuts in the US
>>
>>7511675
what? when on earth did you get the impression that fitfags were winning in america? the portion of the population that's overweight is still slowly creeping up. companies offering more marketing gimmicks that are less horribly unhealthy doesn't stop people from stuffing their faces with the thousands of unhealthy options that are still everywhere.
>>
>>7510548
LOL xDD
>>
>>7507459
This >>>/pol/ shit has gone too fucking far.
This is 4chan, if you expect it to be all kind and friendly outside of /pol/, you need to find another website.
I know you were joking, but just in general, it's been getting on my nerves.
The worst part is that only like 20% of the time does anybody call them out and tell them to fuck off back to tumblr with their bullshit.
I don't even use /pol/
>>
>>7511598
Totally unrelated, but i just got back our old family home in Toruń, I think the house is in the the old part, what is it like? I've never been there or even Poland for that matter. I plan on visiting during the summer.
>>
>>7507430
how fucking hard is it for the guy to make some shitty croissant sandwiches to go with the donuts?

The big donut shot near me is a block away from an elementary school and a mile away from the community college so they are 24/7 to get cash from people coming home from night classes. It is 1 or 2 miles from a sheriffs substation too
>>
>semen glazed buttholes.jpeg
>>
>>7511782
>that one guy who sees semen in everything that's white
>>
>>7508867
Really? You'd think it would be the opposite.
>>
>>7511756
Nah, the tumblr fags are much less likely to derail a thread.
At any rate,
>>7507459
strikes me as a /pol/tard trying to be ironic.
>>
>>7511775
>what is it like?
Well, the locals say the Old Town is the only redeeming feature of the city. Everything else is garbage. I'm not a local so I consider such opinions of the kind "confusing the trees for the forest" mentality. But I digress. The Old Town is pretty fun. Lots of clubs and food places to visit and taste. Culture is blooming. Lots of events and a lot of opportunity to partake in it. Lots of students in the city due to the university. Toruń is pretty alive I'd say all year round. It's a comfy city to live in provided you have good income. The job market is focused a lot on sales, call centres, food industry and banking. Finding a job can be tough if none of the mentioned are to your liking. It's also pretty cheap in comparison to other Polish cities on average.
>>
>>7511823
Thanks anon, that's pretty interesting, i don't plan on living there but that's good to know. I have a pretty decent job in America, once I get the time and whatever construction done on the house is finished, I'm totally gonna visit. There's no cars in the old town right? Cause that does sound max comfy.
>>
I have a local donut place in my town. But they also serve coffee so they have something else. I don't know how profitable it is but it's a small business. And it's only 99 cents a donut. I usually see old people hang out there.
>>
>>7509052
Everything is free if you're a cop. If it isn't, you either intimidate the owner or use civil asset forfeiture.
>>
>>7513446
>There's no cars in the old town right?
There are but very little.
>>
>>7506877
If the shop is open 24 hours, how will I get my free donuts around closing time????
>>
>>7511799
A five pound bag of coffee will cost you about $35 for no-name French roast. A grinder will cost about $1,500. A dual pot coffee maker for a 2.5 liter airpot will run about $2000 dollars, the airpots will cost $70 apiece. One thousand filters will cost $17 dollars. 12oz disposable cups with lids will cost about $150 for one thousand of them.

One thousand 120z cups of coffee is roughly 45 pounds of coffee grounds. Assuming you charge $1.50 per cup, and my math is right, you'll break even on startup expenses at about 3500 cups sold.
>>
>>7511756

>Ugh! I just CAN'T EVEN believe there are people who have opinions other than mine!

You aren't just looking at tumblr, you're looking in a mirror.
>>
they'd have to be really good donuts.

i wouldn't even consider getting donuts as a snack when my options are dunkin donuts, grocery store delis, krispy kreme. put a top pot somewhere close and i might go there a few times a month
>>
>>7507359
Look on the bright side, now you can make and raise a child of your own seed.
>>
>>7506877
look at who you are competing against...

niche hipsters and ridiculously hardworking asians
>>
File: Happy Merchant.gif (11 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
Happy Merchant.gif
11 KB, 501x585
>>7513456
>99 cents a donut
dud even publix is 80 cents and win dixie is 70 cents what a ripoff.
>>
>>7509052
if your store is profitable enough to attract robbers, having a lot of cops there constantly might help
>>
>>7506877
Really depends on location. Here in Vienna where donut shops didn't really exist, Dunkin Donuts and some other German chain opening shops immediately lead to teenagers and twentysomethings standing in line to get their (average tasting) donuts. The immediate rush subsided a bit over the last months, but they still sell tons.
So I'd say you could make some very good business here if you get a central spot and manage to make donuts better than Dunkin's. If you add some cool image and good coffee on top, all the hipsters would eat it right up.
>>
>>7506896

Little Ceasars would like a word with you
>>
>>7514737
mfw I was stupid enough to go there.
that huge fucking line for that crammed tiny shithole shop
>>
I came into this thread expecting recipes and comparisons I am a bit disappointed.

One recipe I tried was
230 ml of milk, 60 g of Sugar, 1 egg, 450g of Flour 00, 15g of brewer's yeast, 100g of Butter (I used around 70 I think), vanilla essence, some salt (I forgot to add this).

I also washed them with a bit of butter on top but no added sugar.
>>
>>7514737
The fuck is wrong with people.
(forgotten the name) just opened a store here in Adelaide, SA and fuck me it's ridiculous to see people LINING UP outside before opening and still even now.
I'm talking grown ass adults waiting for HOURS on their phones for some god damn shitty ass donuts.
>>
Appetite has no curfew!
>>
>>7514737
Why did they just now open a DD? Even in Eastern Yurop weve had them for a while
>>
>>7514337
you just charge out the ass for it.. like they all do.
a cup of coffee at most places can be 2-3 dollars
>>
432lb guy here
For the purposes of this thread I stayed up for the last 24 hours and tracked on the hour every hour how much I wanted a donut.

8am: Always hungry just after waking up- I would have loved a donut at this time
9am: Ate breakast, 3 bowls of cereal, would have liked a donut to slop up the milk
10am: Had a post breakfast vidya session, would have happily had a donut to snack on
11am: Stil playing vidya, would still have loved a donut
12pm: Still playing vidya, would still have loved a donut
1pm: Had my lunch. Was a McDonalds and had a McFlurry. Probably wouldn't go to get a donut when I can get one at McDonalds
2pm: Still in McDonalds. I like to spend time hanging around after my meal.
3pm: Back home, fapping. Probably too busy for a donut at this time
4pm: Had my main dinner, which was just a frozen pizza. Pizza ALWAYS makes me crave donuts, I think it is because I 'glaze' my frozen pizzas with a honey and ragu glaze so it looks kind of like a donut. Also the stuffed crust reminds me of dinner
5pm-10pm: More Vidya, again, a box of donuts would be nice as fuck here
11pm: Sat in the yard to cool down because I felt hot. A nice jelly donut could have helped here
12am: Still in the yard. Same as above
1am: Made myself a sandwich as a midnight snack. Would prefer a donut, would also have loved the excuse to go for a drive, I love night driving
2am: Chest started aching a bit so laid down, probably not wanting a donut at this time
3am: Got huge hunger pains here. Would have killed for a donut, always happens at 3am
4am: Had some pringles. A bit too dry this early in the morning. Cream donut would be better.
5am: Watched food reviews on youtube. Usually do this with a snack so yeah a donut would have been good
6am: Watched some old NFL clips on youtube. Not hungry at this point
7am: Got ready for bed, had a slice of toast. A slice of donut would have been better

I think it could work based on my experiment!
>>
File: do people levitate.jpg (50 KB, 906x669) Image search: [Google]
do people levitate.jpg
50 KB, 906x669
>>7514859
>For the purposes of this thread I stayed up for the last 24 hours
no you didn't
>>
File: 1392735206629-BILD.jpg (52 KB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
1392735206629-BILD.jpg
52 KB, 500x279
>>7514826
I think it was a reaction to that other chain opening to lines a couple months earlier. (pic related)

Many fast food chains are hesitant to enter the Austrian market because there's been some high profile failures previously. (Pizza Hut failed famously in the late 90s and Subway had to leave as well only reentering recently) Austria's know for having some kickass pastries, although tons of our old confectioneries have been closing shop recently, so that might be a reason why they consider entering now.
>>
>>7506887
/tread
>>
>>7514859
but had a eaten a donut at 9 am, your donut needs would have been satisfied.
>>
>>7514859
Wew fatass goddamn
>>
File: photo.jpg (116 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
116 KB, 900x900
>>7514859
>>
>>7506877
We've got a 24 hour donut place down at the university district
>>
>>7507062
Not all of them
I found out when it was 2am, I was starving and Tim Horton's was closed
Ended up having to go to McDonalds
>>
>>7515180
Some tim hortons are 24 hours, the one near me isn't but the two downtown are.
>>
>>7514859
>not incorporating donuts into fap routine
>>
>>7506877
5-9am and 4-7pm, maybe lunch as well if you're situated next to a police station.
>>
>>7506877
Open one here in vegas pls. Free range, gluten and mgo free of course :3
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.