[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My doctor tells me I have high LDL cholesterol. I suspect it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: no_more_blini_for_me.jpg (143 KB, 646x1024) Image search: [Google]
no_more_blini_for_me.jpg
143 KB, 646x1024
My doctor tells me I have high LDL cholesterol. I suspect it's because I use too much oil in everything. What are some oil substitutes? I can fry stuff without oil, of course, but what should I do about using olive oil on salads, potatoes, and other stuff? Are there any good alternatives?
>>
Ummmm, don't use oil faggot.
>>
Butter, bacon fat, lard.
>>
I have high cholesterol (inherited it genetically), which I take lipitor for, so it's not really all that high, but I generally try to eat a low-fat diet. I'm also mostly vegetarian (I eat fish) so that probably helps too.

Just do your best to get low-fat alternatives of things you usually eat, if you can. Stuff like low-fat cheese, no higher than 1% milk/yogurt, etc... I don't think using just a bit of oil for a stir fry is too bad, although you might have been talking about deep frying. For salads you could use balsamic vinaigrette instead of oil.
>>
>>7506600
My LDL's 185--I'm surprised it was that high, because I do use only nonfat milk, yogurt, etc. Do you eat many eggs? I eat about 4-5 per day, though I've heard that they don't actually raise cholesterol.
>>
File: wildwildworld.jpg (327 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
wildwildworld.jpg
327 KB, 1200x800
With a careful eye, you can sautee things with just stock. It takes a bit of skill to know when to use the liquid as to not oversaturate it with liquid and yet not burn it. But it is possible. My mum is low/no oil and I learned it from her.
>>
>>7506615
185 seems pretty high. Last time I checked, I had around 125.

I don't eat many eggs, but when I use them for cooking, I only use the egg white. Egg yolks have a lot of cholesterol (184mg, 61% daily value according to google), so that could be the source of your problem.
>>
>>7506558
Use this on salads
>>
>>7506634
>>7506649
Thanks, lads. I'll try to use fewer eggs and maybe switch to egg whites instead.
>>
>>7506558
If you're drinking unfiltered coffee, switch to a method that uses a paper filter. Terpenes in unfiltered coffee have been linked to higher cholesterol levels
>>
>>7506666
That seems crazy to me. I do drink french press coffee though. Maybe I can, uh, pour it through a filter or something.
>>
>>7506675
It probably only really matters if you're drinking several cups a day, but when I heard about the studies I made a note of it for when I'm older and I have to deal with high cholesterol
>>
>>7506686
I actually do drink 3-4/day, so it might be making a difference.
>>
The best way to reduce LDL cholesterol is to lose weight and abdominal fat. The most effective ways are to reduce caloric intake, lower sugar and carbohydrate consumption. Contrary to popular belief, saturated animal fats and dietary cholesterol does not increase LDL levels, but can change the lipid profiles to a higher HDL, lower LDL.

Avoid sugar, high glycemic index carbohydrates, and vegetable oils. Reduce caloric intake, exercise. Eat full fat dairy and animal fats.
>>
>>7506649
Dietary cholesterol, such as in eggs, doesn't contribute as much to cholesterol in the blood as was previously thought.
>>
>>7506649
>>7506655
fuck off with your shit b8
>>
You must reduce your fat intake to near zero, and also reduce sugar intake. Don't snack and only eat twice a day.

veggie bean chili, whole wheat bread, non fat yogurt, the occasional lean poultry, are all great foods.

Do not eat any: cheese, red meat, butter, fried food, ice cream.

>>7508008
>>7506961
don't listen to these idiots.
>>
Render your own lard. If you can find the fat that is found around the kidneys use it. Jowl and belly fat is more porky in taste but that kidney fat is very neutral in flavor it is even used for baking.
>>
>>7508019
Idiot, huh? Do you do this? Have you reduced your fat intake to near zero? If so, do you get sick a lot? Are you frail and sickly? Bad skin and hair? Do you have mood swings? You're actually telling somebody to stop eating fat? That's beyond retarded nutritional advice. Dietary fat does not make you fat, or affect your cholesterol levels. It's carbohydrates, in particular sugars. Not eating fat WILL kill you though.

Jesus... dude, if you do this, please go see a doctor or nutritionist. That's fucking crazy. Despite you calling me an idiot, I'll feel like a bad person if I don't tell you to see a doctor.
>>
>>7508120
I feel great all the time. You're crazy.
>>
>>7508128
All right. You're probably getting your essential fatty acids without realizing it. Watch what you say to people online. Some of them will take you literally and kill themselves with unhealthy diet advice.
>>
>>7506558
cholesterol anymore is more complicated than 'bad' and 'good' cholesterol, there are several types of LDL and the only 'bad' kind is the large 'fluffy' masses that have the tendency of sticking to artery walls. You should just take a statin rather than dick with your diet because likely your cholesterol issue is not diet related.
>>
>>7508137
>You're probably getting your essential fatty acids

1. I'm giving advice to someone who is overweight and/or has health problems. Do you understand that?
2. I'm a fully grown adult giving advice to someone who is also an adult, not a growing child.
3. There are only 2 essential fatty acids, omega 3 and omega 6, and pinto beans contain both of them.

u are a moron!
>>
"Oil" doesn't affect LDL cholesterol. LDL cholesterol is affected primarily by saturated fats, which are particularly low in oils as evidenced by the fact that oils are liquid while saturated fats tend to be solid at room temperature. You should reduce your intake of saturated fat and cholesterol and (this is the important bit) replace saturated fat with unsaturated fats. Do not reduce your fat consumption under 20% of your overall energy intake. Instead, reduce your intake of dairy and fatty meat and instead eat nuts, seeds, oils and fish. Do not replace dairy with low-fat dairy as this tends to replace fat with sugar and protein, which gives even worse outcomes Don't reduce your overall intake of fat, there is no evidence that this helps.
>>
>>7508141
What he said.

>>7506558
Use coconut oil for frying, not olive oil or other oils.
Olive oil is only for dressings.

Also, drink tea.
>>
>>7508141

I'm not educated enough to agree or disagree with the statins are poison/beneficial argument.

I can say though that a statin allergy can fuck you up for months with severe rashes. The muscle depletion is no fun either.
>>
>>7508141
I try not to take drugs--I feel that the side effects are rarely worth it unless it's a critical issue. I'd rather fuck with my diet first. If it's not diet related, I don't know what it could be, because no one in my family has high cholesterol.

>>7508149
I actually am pretty healthy save for the cholesterol issue. The 10-15 pounds I could stand to lose, I will.
>>
>>7508309
>I actually am pretty healthy save for the cholesterol issue. The 10-15 pounds I could stand to lose, I will.

You need to embrace a new lifestyle. Losing weight won't stop arteries from gradually clogging up. But a very low fat diet will.
>>
>>7508353
I am skeptical of your diet proposition. Every single source, from what I can tell, says that losing weight is key to lowering cholesterol. Why wouldn't it be better to eat fats as part of a balanced diet?
>>
>>7508770
Don't feed the trolls. This guy just pulls bullshit out of his ass or calls people morons if they don't agree with his 1980's fad diet. It's pretty common knowledge that losing weight and cutting back on sugar improves cholesterol for most people. The sources are abundant. Balanced diets are fine.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.