[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you all do when your feet hurt after a shift? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
What do you all do when your feet hurt after a shift? I'm a pretty big guy so all this weight is starting to add up after days without a break, any suggestions?
>>
Wrong board nigger, but get better shoes
>>
My bad guys, but this is about the only board I lurk in. Shoulda mentioned that I'm in a kitchen all day I guess
>>
>>7503994

We have kitchen shoe threads from time to time. Some people here work in kitchens, and this sounds like an industry thread.

It's more on topic than tobacco threads, or vaping threads like we had earlier today, in any case.
>>
>>7503990
Go get custom orthotics. These are your feet, this is your heatlh, don't be cheap.
>>
>>7504031
Where could I grab a pair of those?
>>
>>7504040
I only know my area stores (southeast WI). Use google or ask your doctor. Doctors are a racket though, so looking yourself may be better than a referral.
>>
>>7503990
>I'm a pretty big guy
/tv/ pls go
>>
>>7504051

I'm glad someone called that out before OP replied to his own post and then laughed himself to sleep over how epic it was, like usual.
>>
>>7504058
Or, you know, not shit post like you and the guy you're quoting.
>>
>>7503990
You don't get breaks where you work? That's kind shitty. I hope they pay well.
>>
I bought bootleg crocs, they're pretty nice and my feet don't smell like cheese after a shift.
>>
>>7504071
>food industry
>breaks
>pay well

kek you've never worked in a kitchen
>>
>>7504071
If he works in a kitchen it's pretty typical.

>>7503990
Op, get some good kitchen shoes with proper arch support and such and then get some orthotics for them. May seem expensive but the lack of pain will be worth it, plus less chronic injury down the line.
>>
>>7504085
This. I work 90 hours a week (15 hours 6 days a week). I get paid pretty close to minimum wage and I'm lucky if I get even 5 minutes of break in a day.
>>
>>7504105
Why would you not get two part time jobs that pay more? Or a trade where you can get consistent overtime?

Or are you too accustomed to drugs and alcohol?
>>
>>7504051
I didn't even realize desu, what I meant is I'm a morbidly obese fat fuck
>>
>>7504105
I don't think the general population understands how shitty food service work is. They see the glamorized chef tv shows and think its all like that. I'm pretty sure our work conditions are not even legal but none of us give a fuck because we don't know any other life.
>>
>>7504111
>Why would you not get two part time jobs that pay more? Or a trade where you can get consistent overtime?

We all have some sick desire to be in these shitty, high tension jobs and we like cooking on some level. I'd rather spend all my time in a kitchen than work at 2 places I hate 40 hours each. And most people in the food industry just get used to it and don't even think about getting out by learning a trade or anything, you kind of just get stuck in the industry.

>Or are you too accustomed to drugs and alcohol?

And find me a cook that isn't
>>
>>7504105
Why do you put up with it?
>>
>>7504105

That's terrible even by food industry standards.

I don't know how much minimum wage is where you live (or where I live, for that matter), but the only kitchen job I've had that paid in the single digits was when I washed dishes in middle school.

You shouldn't be getting paid that little for the amount of hours you're talking about.

I've also almost always had someone willing to cover my station during a lull in service to go out for a quick smoke break.
>>
>>7504122
We have never known anything else. This is what life is, we haven't ever been in a nice, cozy job.
>>
>>7504121
Sounds like some grade A rationalization, guy. Guess you're already pigeonholed your life, so no point in talking further.
>>
>>7504129
>Guess you're already pigeonholed your life, so no point in talking further.

Rationalization? This is just how things are. I had shitty parents, no money, no expectation to ever have nice things. This is the path I was always on and I have never had the chance to go to a nice school or get a good job offer. Sue me
>>
>>7504121

>and we like cooking on some level

Honestly this.

As bad as everything is, it's satisfying as fuck to be part of a solid crew and get through a busy weekend night with everything running smoothly.

It's a pretty repetitive job, but there's still a hundred things that go wrong on any given night at every level (which is why I mostly work mornings now, aside from nights that are going to be busy and the chef needs someone he knows can handle it).
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 750x750
I forgot what they're called but get the nice no slip shoes they've got for food service. Well worth the cash. Helped me a lot after they mop the kitchen. Then get inserts.

Peppermint oil sugar scrubs are bliss on the feet. The icy sensation is just great. There's a lot of foot scrubs focused on relaxing the feet. There's also True Blue Spa foot scrub that feels wonderful too but it's more smoothing than relaxing.

I know this may be even more faggy sounding than the scrubs, but get a pedicure. It just feels good and they'll make sure your toe nails aren't getting ingrown from your shitty shoe. Plus you're practically getting a cheap massage with it.
>>
>>7504136
Yes, your entire post was a complete rationalization. I hope you could come to realize that and make a change, but you won't.
>>
>>7504145
I'm not saying I don't understand my situation, I'm not trying to rationalize shit. I know exactly how I am thinking and I'm fine with it. Do I have to be trying to achieve more to be acceptable to you? I don't hate my job even though parts of it are shit, and I have upwards mobility.
>>
>>7504146
You should try to achieve more because you can, and for you. That's my last word.

It's not an impossible situation to become an electrician or sider, run your own company, and make a good living. It just takes initiative. Have a good life.
>>
>>7504159
>It's not an impossible situation to become an electrician or sider

Wow that sounds great. No I'd rather have the job I have now. Some people are cooks dude, why would I change my job to something I hate more just for the sake of change? I am fine with my position, you're the one all buttmad about it. Not everyone has to dream about being the CEO of some company. I don't care how much money I have.

>It just takes initiative

I work 60+ hours a week in constant high pressure situations, I don't think being lazy is my problem. I am perfectly fine having a middling job that I enjoy. Fuck off.
>>
>>7504112
ayy
>>
I'm a pretty big guy
> for you
>>
>>7503990
Aquaphor (or some other form of ointment), and take it easy for the rest of the night. I've had days where I wake up and I can barely walk on my feet, but an ointment usually helps out.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 350x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 350x250
>>7504051
Pls dont ban me
>>
>>7503990
Soak in water as hot as you can stand with Epsom salt.
>>
First of all, NEVER post that picture again, I'm going to fucking nightmares about that.
Also, as a big guy who works on his feet all day and deals with the same issues, here's what relieves me:
>buy orthotic inserts for your shoes. They aren't that expensive, I got mine on Amazon, and they've been lifesavers.
>buy one of those girly electric foot baths and some eucalyptus scented epsom salts. Fucking heaven.
>You're just going to have to massage your feet at night. Makes a big difference. Use a good lotion or ointment (like Aquaphor, like someone else said)
>Spend some time after work with your feet elevated before you use the foot bath.
>>
>>7503990
Lose weight fatass

>>/cgl/
>>
>>7503990
Whites boots. They make an Oxford. While dorky looking, it has the same foot support their boots have. Your feet will hurt for a couple of days when you first get them. Trust me, they're worth it. I have a pair of 8" whites which weigh close to 4 lbs a piece. My feet feel great after the work day.
>>
>>7503990
1. go home at the end of the day, bring dinner with you.
2. take off shoes and pants.
3. Get in bed
4. Get on 4chan
5. Eat dinner on 4chan on your bed while your feet scream with relief
Best feeling ever
>>
>>7506241

That used to be my routine, except I'd take a quick shower, lay down on the couch naked, and have the TV going, my laptop on the coffee table, the A/C blowing on me, some ice water, some whiskey, and enjoy whatever I brought home to eat with my feet up.
>>
>>7506282
also good.
>>
I also stand all day for a job. My bmi is 22 but I still want to shed a few more kilos so I can lessen the impact. OP, no shoes will save you. I've tried orthodontic like Homy Ped and some weird 300$ brand, insoles, what have you and my feet still hurt a little at the end of the day.

I dont know how bad it is for you OP, but now I just buy $20 arch supports and stick them in my shoes. And I'm trying to shed 5 more kilos. I carry 20kg crates daily and wonder how the fuck I'd live with myself if I had that weight on my body. The body isn't designed for that.
>>
>>7503990
Do you work often? Did you just start working?
I had this for about a week or so after I hadn't worked in a while. It'll pass. That, or my feet are some sort of hyper evolving organism, since everyone I've met have told me that my shoes are shit.
>>
File: 1458324705715.png (39 KB, 443x226) Image search: [Google]
1458324705715.png
39 KB, 443x226
>>7506311
I've got a BMI of 29 and I can tell you..

It's not a big deal, feet are fine, senpai.
>>
i hate to say it man, but you just have to stick it out for a month until your muscles get used to standing up and walking around all day. my feet hurt all the damn time when i started kitchen work but i got used to it.

you might need to watch your posture, too, if you have any weird leg or arm pain it can be a pinch by your spine. really hard to fix if you're a big dude, so make sure youre standing with your hips square, your shoulders back and your neck straight whenever you can.
>>
>>7506434
Also, something worth looking out for is small pants/belts pinching a nerve on the hips, causing pain in the outer thighs. Easily fixed and isn't permanent or anything.
Meralgia paraesthetica's the name.
>>
>>7503990
soak feet in hot water and epsom salt, elevate feet afterwards
>>
>>7503990
This is the only restaurant shoe that I could wear for 12+ hours without sore feet.

http://www.crocs.com/p/crocs-bistro/10075.html?cgid=slip-resistant-work-shoes&cid=001#start=1
>>
File: 13960_BKW.jpg (143 KB, 1300x1152) Image search: [Google]
13960_BKW.jpg
143 KB, 1300x1152
>>7503990
When I worked in a store, the most important thing in the world was having my Skechers Go Walk 2 Flash sneakers. Get em.
>>
>>7507024
To add:
Just try them on.
Just find them in a store and try them on and I guarantee you will walk out of the store with them.

The store I worked in was a shoe store so I had more than enough choices, and when I first bought them, coworkers made fun of me for wearing dumbass Skechers until each one of them put on a pair, and in short time, the whole store was wearing them.
>>
READ THE FUCKING STICKY
STOP BEING A FAT ASS
>>
>>7506355
29 BMI is pretty big still. I'm 26 BMI and I still need to lose a good 30 pounds before I look good again.

Losing weight down to a healthy weight will help all around.
>>
>>7507169
Did we finally get one?
>>
File: 1303.gif (999 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1303.gif
999 KB, 245x245
Go to /fit/ for weight loss advice

Go to /out/ for comfortable shoes advice

Go to /tv/ cause your a big guy

Glhf
>>
Have you tried compression stockings? I wear 15-20 mmHg with good insoles and I don't feel any pain even after constant standing/walking for 12+ hours
>>
I stopped being a sec guard.
Still on my feet all day but it gets to you way less when you're active constantly. Only hits you when you wake up the next day but that's life.
>>
>>7503990
>I'm a pretty big guy

For you
>>
Get your feet properly measured and buy shoes in your actual size.

compression stockings.

If you frequently stand in a single area, try to get a foam mat to stand on
>>
>>7504013

>things that go in your mouth and taste are less relevant than uneducated workers bitching about their feet :(

Fuck off
>>
>>7504169
>having a middling job

you actually, truly and honestly, believe you have a "middling job"?
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.