[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sourdoughs and boring breads also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: DSC01291.jpg (457 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
DSC01291.jpg
457 KB, 1632x1224
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuU0xmqEZyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leC_cCs4i5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5xOpss4j5E

Made a tiny rye with sesame. Didn't rise up much because it was too wet. Great bubbling though. Excellent flavor. My culture is really taking off after the switch to rye/wheat mix.
>>
New loaf tomorrow.
>>
File: 1456475035912.jpg (19 KB, 220x204) Image search: [Google]
1456475035912.jpg
19 KB, 220x204
>>7503947
It's okay OP, i don't think people care too much about bread.

The fitcucks have invaded and just want shitty protein.
>>
>>7505968
not, op, but I finish off a loaf of my home made sourdough bread every other day. It is great for you, provided you include some whole heat flour, and do not eat it with butter, jam, or anything fattening or full of sugar. I eat it with beans. Wheat is better than rice.
>>
Doing a lazy sourdough starter.

Shit was going fine for the first few days, so I made a loaf and it turned out well. I didn't have a ton of starter left, and it really didn't seem to bounce back despite feedings. Checked it today after ignoring it for a few days, and it smelled AMAZING. No bubbles, but a film of what looked like the yeast from a packet on top. Smells like bread yeast (from a packet) and very fruity. Really nice smelling, but no bubble action.

Anyone know what's up? I decided to try to make a loaf, and if it doesn't rise I'll just dump a packet o yeast in there.
>>
>>7503947
I want to make sourdough but how long does the starter keep for. Not much reason to make it if I have to dedicate an hour of the morning for full prep before I get gud
>>
>>7506040
Probably just too wet for bubbles to remain.

>>7506072
>how long does the starter keep for.
For as long as you keep feeding it. Some are said to be thousands of years old.
>Not much reason to make it if I have to dedicate an hour of the morning for full prep before I get gud
I don't even...
>>
I don't think anybody afraid of gluten has ever kneaded a well rested dough. When that bowl of sludge has turned into a rubber ball... that's magic.
>>
My sourdough just doubled in size in 2 hours. It hasn't done that before, usually it takes a night or at least half a day. But this time I'm keeping it really warm, around 35°C. And suddenly it acts like baker's yeast.

Now, do I preheat the oven or do I wait. If I wait it could get fluffier than ever before, but it could also collapse. If I bake it now I might have some strange uneven leavening, I've never baked sourdough after just 2 hours. And I'd never know how fluffy it could have gotten.
>>
>>7506130
>Probably just too wet for bubbles to remain.

Looks like you were right. The loaf turned out great. The fruity flavor was there very subtly along with a very very slight sourness and a yeasty flavor very similar to packet yeast but a bit deeper/more complex. Pretty happy with the result.
>>
>>7508988
Yes, that satisfaction of making bread. I love it!

Just put mine in the oven. I'm experimenting with steam, got a tray of boiling water under the pizza stone.

Will post results.
>>
File: DSC01292.jpg (463 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
DSC01292.jpg
463 KB, 1632x1224
Didn't rise much more in the oven. Didn't need to.

Still crackling as its cooling.
>>
File: DSC01293.jpg (466 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
DSC01293.jpg
466 KB, 1632x1224
>>7509160
I am always astonished when it doesn't taste salty. You have to put so much salt into sourdough, it's very counterintuitive.
>>
File: DSC01294.jpg (421 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
DSC01294.jpg
421 KB, 1632x1224
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.