[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pepperoni or salami?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 16
pepperoni or salami?
>>
Pepperoni is the Americanized processed meat version of Salami.

So obviously Salami is the only correct answer, unless you also prefer American processed cheese over real cheese, or chocolate flavoured vegetable fats over real chocolate.
>>
File: HotSopressata.jpg (271 KB, 1500x2100) Image search: [Google]
HotSopressata.jpg
271 KB, 1500x2100
Neither.
>>
>>7498778
They're both processed you retard.
Otherwise they'd be a shank of raw meat, still on the bone.
>>
File: autism.jpg (32 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
32 KB, 512x512
>>7498877
>>
>>7498877

Surely you know by now that when someone says "processed" in the context of food they mean industrial production as opposed to the old-fashioned way, right?

>Durp! You pulled that carrot out of the ground and washed it! It's processed!
>>
>>7498897
Making salami is a little more involved than washing a carrot off you dumb ignorant faggot.
Sausage is the fucking definition of processed meat.
>>
>>7498900
Allow me to appease your autism.

"Processed" in this context means the meat has been mechanically reclaimed from low quality cuts & scraps, which is then mixed with colorings, salts, nitrates & other preservatives and extruded via. an industrial screw extruder.

This is opposed to the salami, which is generally made in small batches, largely by hand, using less and more gentle cutting, grinding & mixing of higher quality cuts of meat.
>>
>>7498897
when someone says processed in the context of meat, one category is mixing up the meat and the fat. whether or not you do it like some retard who can't afford more efficient machines doesn't matter. saying "processed meat version of salami" is like saying electronic device version of an iphone.

you could have just said "cheap" and been okay instead of looking like an idiot.
>>
>>7498900
>Making salami is a little more involved than washing a carrot off you dumb ignorant faggot.

I know, I've made it before.

>>Sausage is the fucking definition of processed meat.

You seem to be missing the point yet again. I'll make it even more clear:

When a normal person (e.g. not an autist) uses the word "processed" when talking about food they are not referring to traditional preparation techniques even though those meet the literal definition of "processing". Instead, in this context the word "processed" implies large-scale industrial production as opposed to traditional methods.

Do you understand now?
>>
Gabagool
>>
>>7498774

Ideally gabagool. If that isn't an option you can't go wrong with a Jewish Deli Kosher Salami. I like my dago meats as much as the next guy but the Jewish meats got them beat in the traditional deli counter meats in a lot of the fields including salami (although not by a whole lot.
>>
>>7498916
>is mixing up the meat and the fat. whether or not you do it like some retard who can't afford more efficient machines doesn't matter

Indeed. I don't care if the meat is mixed by hand or with a machine. The problem is later in the production process.

Salami is a fermented sausage. It is preserved via bacterial action which creates an enviornment in which spoilage bacteria cannot grow. It often has molds which grow on it that add to flavor. It is quite tricky to make it this way, and according to my reading it comes out wrong a non-insignificant part of the time even when done by experts. (see Charcuterie by Rhulman)

The problem with the "cheap" stuff, as you put it is that it is not fermented and is instead treated by adding chemical preservatives & artificial flavors instead.

>>you could have just said "cheap" and been okay instead of looking like an idiot.

Agreed. But let's be honest here: it's a food board. We all know what "processed" means in this context.
>>
>>7498774
Why not both?
Seriously, sandwiches with both are the best
>>
>>7498910
Processed in the context of sausages means fucking processing meat into sausages you dumb retard.

Take ten seconds out of your day to stop irrationally hating all things American to reflect on how stupid you sound right now.
>>
>>7498948
>Processed in the context of sausages means what I want it to mean because wubwubwubwubwub

Everyone but you knew exactly what it meant. Go cry to your support worker.
>>
File: Chorizo.jpg (142 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Chorizo.jpg
142 KB, 1024x768
Chorizo is better than both
>>
>>7498943
>the "problem"
that's just opinion senpai.

we know what it means but you're approaching it like a layman and you got corrected by an autist. you might as well say "chemicals are bad for you" and you were pretty close already. i'm just saying it's pretty fucking weird to talk about the difference between "real" food and processed food while insulting someone else for being picky.
>>
File: auntieweenie_Large.png (23 KB, 406x305) Image search: [Google]
auntieweenie_Large.png
23 KB, 406x305
Oh look, another sausage autism throwdown oh boy
>>
File: autismino.jpg (47 KB, 500x415) Image search: [Google]
autismino.jpg
47 KB, 500x415
>>7498980
>>
The big deal is that salami is a traditional product. Pepperoni is an industrial one. You can easily find industrially produced salami that's as shitty as pepperoni, but it's very unlikely you'll ever find pepperoni as good as the best traditionally made salami, because there's no tradition of pepperoni making.

Pepperoni is a cheap, industrially produced kind of salami. If you're a fan of good food there's really no reason to bother with it.
>>
I'm all about that salume brooo, the slightly sour taste and complex flavours. The best part is the texture of the little pockets of fat that kind of melt away maaaan
>>
sopresetta di calabria, jamon serrano and kielbasa jalowcowa.

Other breakfast meats are you even trying?
>>
I love the spiciness of pepperoni.
I wish there was actual spicy salami, not just 5 pounds of black pepper added.
>>
>>7498774
Neither

I'm vegan
>>
>>7498958
Not at all, mexicano
>>
>>7500841
Does that mean you don't swallow your boyfriends cum?
>>
>>7500871
>mexicano

it's spanish you pleb fuck
>>
Salami BTFOs '''''''''pepperoni''''''''''
>>
File: tumblr_lryijoUtQ01qlnzs9o1_400.gif (407 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lryijoUtQ01qlnzs9o1_400.gif
407 KB, 400x400
>>7498989
>>
pepperoni is dogshit
>>
Cheap Hormel pepperoni tastes better than a lot of the expensive, traditional, aged salami I've eaten.

Maybe I'm just a pleb, but a $4 bag sliced pepperoni is tastes way better than $40/lb salami
>>
>>7498774
Gabagool
>>
File: -1138685697.jpg (92 KB, 459x612) Image search: [Google]
-1138685697.jpg
92 KB, 459x612
>>7498943
tip kik
>>
>>7498774
both obviously
>>
>>7498774
'roni.
>>
>>7498774
Relevant video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5AZhjhbxf8
>>
>>7498774
Pepperoni is god
>>
>>7501050
Didn't he just said that?
>>
>>7501874
Holy shit, THAT'S MADDOX?

I remember reading his shit from the early 2000's. Don't know why I didn't expect him to be a scrawny, balding, nu-male.
>>
>>7498887
All food is processed you moron
>>
File: 4 u.png (3 KB, 210x187) Image search: [Google]
4 u.png
3 KB, 210x187
>>7502226
>Don't know why I didn't expect him to be a scrawny, balding, nu-male.
As opposed to what? He just looks average.
>>
>>7502287
He projects that tough-guy image, but he's a balding wimp with spaghetti noodle arms.

(Hi Maddox)
>>
>>7501694
>maybe I'm a pleb

nah you definitely are.
>>
Prosciutto.

>go to kroger
>ask the butcher guy to cut you prosciutto "pretty thin"
>hnnnnnnnnghhhhhh

Kroger prosciutto cut "pretty thin" is thicker than packaged prosciutto from Walmart.

How do I order the thickness of meats without sounding like a spergie?
>>
>>7502822
You ask him to give you a piece to check the thickness before he slices it up, then you say "Thicker" or "Thinner".

Most deli counter people will do this without the customer asking. You must've ran into a nigger.
>>
>>7498778
Except you're wrong.
>>
>>7503074
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepperoni

>Pepperoni, also known as pepperoni sausage, is an American variety of salami
>The main differences are that pepperoni has a finer grain (akin to salami of Milan, a spiceless regional variant of salami), is usually softer, and is produced with the use of an artificial casing (instead Italian salami are produced using natural gut for casing). Pepperoni is mass-produced to meet the demand for the sausage.

Literally every word in that post is correct. Enjoy your butt pain.
>>
>>7503074
No he isn't. He just triggered your autism because he used the word "processed" to mean "industrially mass produced". Otherwise he's spot the fuck on.
>>
>>7501080
Literally the exact same thing; inferior untermensch.
>>
>>7502226
>>7502706

why do you care so much what he looks like, are you a girl?
>>
File: 1457652870898.png (126 KB, 528x486) Image search: [Google]
1457652870898.png
126 KB, 528x486
1. real salami (has mold)
.....POWERGAP...
99999. everything else

there's really no difference between store-bought meats
>>
File: 44700010907.jpg (210 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
44700010907.jpg
210 KB, 600x600
>>7498774

Salami
>>
File: meat.jpg (99 KB, 500x698) Image search: [Google]
meat.jpg
99 KB, 500x698
Salami every time. Pepperoni is too harsh
>>
>>7498918
You sound like a total faggot, calm down before you hurt yourself ace.
>>
>>7498774
German scharfe salami (spicy salami) is amazing.
>>
File: 1449586772353.png (332 KB, 570x493) Image search: [Google]
1449586772353.png
332 KB, 570x493
>>7498774
THE CHEESE IS THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW
>>
>>7503087
spanish chorizo and mexican chorizo are literally completely different
>>
braunschweiger
>>
Here in Italy both are called salame except one is 'piccante', spicy and generally industrially produced.
There are lots of kinds of actual salame here, many made by artisans and with different textures for example ( google them for pictures ) 'salame cacciatore' which is rather small in girth and tastes very good cut thick with a knife or 'salame milano' which is bigger and better for sandwitches/piadine but only when cut really thin with a slicer

Soppressata is also GOAT
>>
>>7501874
I fucking hate the loser that always wants plain pepperoni. Child tier 2bh
>>
File: chourico-assado.jpg (89 KB, 660x367) Image search: [Google]
chourico-assado.jpg
89 KB, 660x367
>>7501874
Always hated pepperoni, but plain cheese can be a great pizza, it's often how I judge the quality of a new pizza place when I try it out.

I hate the mentality of "more toppings is better". Maybe if the actual pizza itself is such cheap, flavorless shit that you need to pile a ton of crap on top to make it tolerable.

>>7504284
Both are inferior to Portuguese chourico. Although, I have a strong bias. Stuff it excellent on a pizza.
>>
>>7504878
>I hate the mentality of "more toppings is better".
I blame Pizza Hut for that shit. Their thing for years was at least three topping pizzas, and in the 70's and 80's they were the first taste of pizza for many who lived in places with few if any Italian Americans..
>>
>>7504878
>I hate the mentality of "more toppings is better".

Agreed. And the more toppings one adds then the more those additional toppings interfere with properly baking the pizza. A pizza needs to be fairly thin for it to bake properly.
>>
Calabrese Salami

the best of both worlds
>>
>>7499002
>"tradition" makes the meat taste better!
lmfao
>>
>>7505396
Tradition is a kind of quality control - traditional methods allow for the experience and standards of the person making the product to determine the quality of the end product. This is why most high end luxury products are still handmade.

Pepperoni is a perfect example of the kind of products you get with industrial mass production. Cheap ingredients chemically "aged" with nitrites and put straight into plastic. That's why there's no nuance of flavor, but it's also why the stuff is so cheap. Paying someone who knows their shit to oversee the process of air drying the salami (and maybe even fermenting/smoking it) makes things much more expensive, and isn't worth it if you're marketing to the kind of customer who is just looking for cheap shit to put on their cheap shit pizza.

But it sure as fuck makes a difference. My Polish neighbor gave me a kielbasa he made as part of his cold smoking meat for Easter. I had a little bit of it for lunch. Much better than anything you could find in the supermarket - really in an entirely different category.
>>
>>7504894
Funnily enough, a plain cheese thin crust pizza is one of the only acceptable pizza hut pizzas.
I buy it on occasion and dip it into their marinara dipping sauce, shit is like 5$ out the door for a medium
>>
File: 1410474360962.jpg (36 KB, 523x521) Image search: [Google]
1410474360962.jpg
36 KB, 523x521
>>7501874
>cuck sperg spewing autistic diarrhea *
>633002 views

They're right, the internet was a huge fucking mistake.

(* 4chan buzzwords)
>>
>>7498774
Salami. Pepperoni is overly greasy and not even Italian.
>>
>>7506106

>Italian is a good thing

>>7498774

Pepperoni
>>
>>7498780

me and my dad love this. only thing better is capicola
>>
>>7498774
>>7498780

why not.. all of them? Not at the same time of course. but i like my variety.
>>
>>7498778
lol u retart peparoni isnt meat its chemacals
>>
PASTRAMI
A
S
T
R
A
M
I
>>
>>7507699

Jew detected
>>
File: Jew Frog.jpg (100 KB, 785x762) Image search: [Google]
Jew Frog.jpg
100 KB, 785x762
>>7507699
>>
>>7498955
The only reflecting i see is reflecting your supreme faggotry onto others
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.