[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: weird things you have seen people refrigerate My mother:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
ITT: weird things you have seen people refrigerate

My mother:
vegetable oil
hot sauce
onions
potatoes
bread

she freezes bread too but I'm OK with that
>>
children
>>
>>7492166
The onions made me cringe, imagine the shit they're absorbing.
The hot sauce I don't mind, sometimes cold hot sauce goes well on food.
>>
I often pour a glass of juice and drink maybe half of it before it isn't cold any more. so, I put it in the fridge - often for a few days. I have two in my fridge right now.

my gf says this is weird.
>>
>>7492166

refrigerating prolongs shelf life of everything?

So long as its correctly stored correctly / seperately from other things in the fridge.

Also refrigerating your onions stops your eyes from watering when you're cutting them.
>>
>>7492178
>refrigerating prolongs shelf life of everything?
It can stop bacterial/mold growth but it will actually degrade some foods faster by drying them out or causing fats to congeal.
>>
>>7492177
Pour less juice. If you end up wanting more, pour yourself some more. I think it's more stupid than weird.
>>
Cigarettes
Soap
Coffee
>>
>>7492181
id agree with you if i werent talking about food being unfit for consumption.

things that dry out or congeal are still edible... and im talking about nutrients.. like.. a starving african in need of nutrients... not an american.. try to get into that frame of mind.
>>
>>7492181

This. Not to mention that the shelf life of some things is already so incredibly long that there's no need to refrigerate them.
>>
coffee
>>
>>7492166
Butter
>>
>>7492166

potato
>>
>>7492188
>Cigarettes
>Soap

My mum also refrigerates coffee but what the shit
>>
>>7492207
My old girlfriend was super afraid of room temp butter. She refused to eat it even though she ended up mangling every piece of bread she buttered
>>
>>7492238
I had a butter softener in my old fridge, it literally was a few degrees above room temp.
Why are people so queer about room temperature butter?
>>
>>7492166
Refrigerated vegetable oil oxidizes at a slower rate meaning it's shelf life gets extended quite a bit before it goes rancid.
http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--1193/oils-and-fats-handlingsafetystorage.asp
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-true-shelf-life-of-cooking-oils/

For the same reason if you buy whole wheat flour or brown/whole grain rice in bulk you should freeze the extra.
http://www.stilltasty.com/articles/view/71
http://wholegrainscouncil.org/recipes/storing-whole-grains
>>
>>7492261

Sure. But it takes a very long time to go rancid. Surely you'd use up the oil well before then.
>>
File: 1416032306901.jpg (80 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
1416032306901.jpg
80 KB, 800x532
>>7492244
My aunt will throw away food if it has been left out for more than 2 hours

I think people have just gotten used to the fridge as the source of food rather than the pantry or the cellar. The knowledge our great grandparents had on what you could leave lying around like eggs pickles and cured meats have been lost over the past few generations and now people are putting onions in their fridges purely out of ignorance. There aren't a whole lot of consequences except that fats will pick up weird smells so people don't care enough to leave shit out on the counter to save shelf space

And at least speaking as an American our government is obsessed with food safety and that trickles down into the national consciousness. Combine that with occasional food scares like what happened to Chipotle and people get paranoid. Meanwhile those lucky French faggots get to eat unpasteurized cheese
>>
>>7492166
>onions
Are you talking about fresh onions before you cut them or after?
If I need half an onion I always put the rest that I don't use in the fridge or else it goes bad.
>>
>>7492303
I do that too, this is whole fresh
>>
>>7492261
If you cant use up oil before it goes rancid, you aren't cooking enough.
>>
>>7492261
I keep my flours in the fridge. Is that seekay?
>>
>>7492298
>The knowledge our great grandparents had on what you could leave lying around like eggs pickles and cured meats have been lost over the past few generations

Agreed 100%.

It didn't help that a lot of the products have changed as well. For example, bacon (and other cured meats) was originally made as a means of preserving the meat in the days before refrigerators. Bacon made in the old-fashioned way by dry curing and smoking would keep for ages without refrigeration. Same with traditionally cured hams. But these days the "inject with flavored water" method yields a product that must be refrigerated.
>>
>>7492178
Potatoes eat themselves faster when refrigerated and then you can't make gnocchi without it becoming a sticky mess. But you shouldn't be eating white potatoes or white flour anyway. I understand white potatoes are not "whitened" but they are high in stuff that's not good for kidneys. White potatoes are the only whole plant food I consistently avoid.
>>
>>7492170
I put onions in the fridge all the time, they seem fine.
>>
>>7492337
>high in stuff that's not good for kidneys
thats bullshit unless you have a potassium imbalance
>>
>>7492387
glycoalkaloids
>>
>>7492401
Those affect the GI tract, they barely reach the bloodstream, let alone the kidneys.
>>
File: ishygddt.png (984 KB, 1166x849) Image search: [Google]
ishygddt.png
984 KB, 1166x849
>>7492166
Ketchup
>>
>>7492317
What if I prefer cooking without nutrient-free macro isolates?
>>
>>7492409
my parents do this too but have no qualms about putting ketchup that has been room temp for a month on their fries at a restaurant
>>
>>7492166
G
>>
My mother refrigerated peanut butter.

It was impossible to put onto bread without utterly destroying the bread.

I remember giving up when I was five or six, like I had one of those fuck this shit moments. After that I just started toasting my bread for peanut butter sandwiches, it made the bread sturdier and helped soften the peanut butter as soon as it hit.
>>
>>7492786
ah the trials of youth
>>
eggs
>>
>mom freezes bacon
>we go through 2 packs a week
>she's trying to thaw it under hot water every day
>pulls it apart and rips it into shreds because it's frozen together

Goddamnit, mom. Just refrigerate it. It's fucking cured.

Bitch also refrigerates potatoes and onions, leaving no goddamned room in the crisper.
>>
>>7492813
have you talked to her about the bacon situation?
because that is fucking stupid
>>
>>7492818
She's a lost cause. I'm certain she has a double-digit IQ. I don't know how I ended up a literate, functioning human being.

>Wake up
>There's meat in the sink, thawing
>There's dirty dishes in the sink and the meat is partially submerged in dirty water
>WHAT FUCK
>Go to place it on the counter
>It wasn't even frozen. She took it out of the fridge and set it in the sink for no reason. At 8am.
>>
File: 1430852264291.jpg (37 KB, 400x392) Image search: [Google]
1430852264291.jpg
37 KB, 400x392
>>7492831
gotta make sure them bacterias n shit dont get on the countah
>>
>>7492166
I never understood bread freezing. Bread lasts weeks if not months under regular refrigeration.
>>
>>7492847
Nigger, you don't refrigerate bread.
>>
>>7492850
I don't eat bread fast enough before it spoils at room temp. I also give no fucks about it going stale because I toast my bread and eat it toasted and warm like civilized person.
>>
>>7492166
My roommate is literally retarded, and he puts his cans of tuna in the refrigerator. I told him it's fucking stupid, and he won't listen.
>>
>>7492189
Good thing I'm an American who can afford to care how my foods taste.
>>
File: 1451315232822.jpg (30 KB, 720x438) Image search: [Google]
1451315232822.jpg
30 KB, 720x438
>>7492932
>>
File: piano.jpg (22 KB, 349x262) Image search: [Google]
piano.jpg
22 KB, 349x262
My mother believes that certain foods have 'heat calories' that only exist when the food is warm (I think she read something about burning calories, and got confused) so any of the following food must go into the fridge for AT LEAST 24 hours before they can be eaten

>Chips
>Peanut Butter
>Chocolate
>Candy that is green
>Bread
>The Toaster (has to go in before use, only for 12 hours so overnight, because it 'uses calories to toast bread')
>Nuts
>Honey
>Jelly
>Cereal
>Oats
>Rice
>Muffins
>Cookies of any type really
>All bread

It fucking SUCKS. She makes everyone put the food in the fridge after purchase with a timestamp and checks before drawing on an 'approval' tick in market when they hit 24 hours. You can't lie to her and put something in with a false timestamp either because she checks constantly, and if you eat something without 'calorie chilling' you have to spend an hour standing with your belly in front of the open freezer.

She is 40lbs overweight
>>
>>7493017
god i don't know how retards make it in life
>>
File: 1456903258578.png (200 KB, 500x315) Image search: [Google]
1456903258578.png
200 KB, 500x315
>>7493017
>CALORIE CHILLING

wew lad
>>
>>7492786

Toasted bread goes great with even normal pb.

Melted gooey peanut butter with crusty bread is divine.
>>
>>7493017
I want to think that this is a lie, but I can too easily imagine someone actually doing this.
>>
>>7492188
Freezing cigarettes keeps them fresher. Or so I've been raised to believe, now that it's under question, I will admit I've never tested it.
>>
>>7493063
dont they get freezer burn and get soggy tho? thats what i would assume
>>
>>7493063

It makes some sense. Cold = lower vapor pressure = some of the aromatic compounds in the tobacco will evaporate slower.

>>7493099
I don't smoke so I'm not 100% sure about this, but aren't cigarettes packed in plastic or cellophane or something in a sealed pack? If so, that would stop freezer burn.
>>
>>7493017
You and your fatshit insane mother win
>>
>>7493099
Nah, mine were always fine before I quit
>>
>>7493017
eating cold food does essentially reduce the calories it provides, because your body has to heat it up. your mom is still a dumbass though
>>
File: 1454213390848.jpg (6 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
1454213390848.jpg
6 KB, 240x200
>>7493113
>>
my roommate refrigerates honey... like fuck that guy.
>>
>>7493138
>honey
>literally never expires
>>
>>7493138
haha you can literally eat honey from 5000 years ago this is gold
>>
>>7492244
Because most people like solid, cold & slightly soft butter instead of very soft, almost liquid, room temp. butter.

It's weird to store your butter on the counter.
>>
>>7493173

It must be pretty warm where you live. Room temperature butter is nowhere near "almost liquid" in my area (70 F), and butter out of the fridge is so cold that it's unspreadable.
>>
My family refrigerates onions once cut as well as ketchup after it's been opened
>>
>>7492342
You're fooking stoopid, anon
>>
>>7493063
Freezer in a plastic bag, and they'll stay fresh longer. Without a plastic bag, and they'll dry out faster than if you just left them at room temperature.
>>
>>7492831
How much food poisoning does your household get on average?
>>
>>7493206
I refrigerate my onions once they're cut

in a sealed container
>>
>>7492177
You can't finish a glass of fucking juice? Pour less juice retard

>mfw captcha is about juice
>>
File: 1458351255110.jpg (28 KB, 500x555) Image search: [Google]
1458351255110.jpg
28 KB, 500x555
>In college, second year
>Go to get supplies for an omelette from the dorm kitchen
>notice a bottle of hot sauce in the fridge with someones initial on it
>know that you get better spice from hot sauce when it sits at room temperature
>move it to the cupboard
>2 days later
>it's in the fridge again
>move it again
>next day
>it's in the fridge again
>put it back in the cupboard
>following week there is a notice on the bulletin board
>''Whoever keeps moving my hot sauce from the fridge better cut it the fuck out''
>mfw
>>
>>7492409
what? is it not standard to refrigerate ketchup? I don't think I've ever seen someone who didn't refrigerate it after opening before
>>
>>7493402
the hero they need, but not the one they deserve
>>
>>7493017
if you're old enough to be on 4chan this shouldn't be a problem for you
>>
File: 1447267863886.jpg (69 KB, 438x503) Image search: [Google]
1447267863886.jpg
69 KB, 438x503
>>7493402
says right on the bottle refrigerate after opening. seems like every retarded man child who doesn't have control over their own lives likes to do childish shit like this to exercise some semblance of control over their environment

>I can''t save money or exercise self control
>too lazy and inattentive to even feed myself real food
>lets move someone's hotsauce
>repeatedly
your probably the kind of guy who leaves their dirty dishes on whatever random uncluttered surface you find for weeks at a time
>>
>>7492166
My parents refrigerate butter, hot sauce, almost any sauce for that matter, tortillas, and once I caught my gf refrigerating honey.
>>
>>7494868
In southern florida where I live if the butter doesn't get refrigerated during the summer the shit just melts into an unusable mess so it's pretty much required.
>>
>>7495735
Where I live in Florida we have this thing called air conditioning
>>
>>7493402
>>7494863
I own several hot sauces that I refrigerate. If I just had one small bottle that I used I wouldn't, but big bottles will get just a little bit funky. Sriracha, for instance, starts to separate and smell different if you keep it in a cupboard for long enough.
>>
>>7495855
Doesn't make you any less of a shit
>>
>>7495855
I actually found an old half-full bottle of sriracha in my pantry a few months ago that I had forgotten about. It was probably sitting in there for at least 4-5 years. It had turned brown, so I didn't even bother opening it and trying to smell it, I just chucked it straight into the trash.
>>
>>7495940

Discoloration doesn't mean bad.

All tomato based hot sauces will brown over time.

But yeah I would chucked it too.
>>
>>7492234
putting cigarettes in the fridge keeps them from going stale.
>>
File: tumblr_o3c3uwOzDn1ufl1nbo1_500.gif (2 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3c3uwOzDn1ufl1nbo1_500.gif
2 MB, 500x280
>>7493938
>he keeps his ketchup in the fridge
>>
>>7493017
>candy that is green
kek
>>
>>7495976

Tumblr jiffs where there's a quote but only a few words are actually spoken trigger me hard.
>>
>>7495976
who the hell doesn't?
>>
>>7496024
me too. they would serve fine as a picture
>>
>>7493017
What the actual fuck, anon.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.