[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ck/ I'm looking for some vindication I don't think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: American_Cheese.jpg (12 KB, 320x252) Image search: [Google]
American_Cheese.jpg
12 KB, 320x252
/ck/ I'm looking for some vindication

I don't think American cheese, aka government cheese, aka "cheese product that isn't actually cheese" is all that great. It's not on my top 20 food items list or anything.

That being said, I do think that it has a purpose. That purpose is, specifically, in certain types of sandwich and--arguably more importantly--on burgers. Maybe I've just never had the right "real" cheese on burgers, but cheddar is too dry and turn into an oily nightmare when melty and provolone is bland as fuck next to the a greasy hockey puck's worth of expertly cooked lightly seasoned ground beef.

So, am I crazy? Is there some other, more cheese-y cheese that belongs on burgers? Or is this much maligned industrially crafted cheese product not as bad as people like to pretend?
>>
i think its funny how eurofags act like it's so disgusting yet mcdonalds still uses it on the burgers over there and they still buy them
>>
>>7491486
Ever notice that there are more than one grade?

Buy the more expensive American cheese without the term "product" on the end.
>>
>>7491486
Nothing more luxurious than having scrambled eggs or an omelette with american cheese product.
>>
It was scientifically engineered to go good on burgers because of it's low melting point
I also like melting squares on scrambled eggs
>>
File: 1443075573021.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1443075573021.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
>>7491486
You'll eat government cheese and you'll like it!
>>
>>7491486
You can get the good american cheese if you go to a proper deli and have it sliced, it has an off-white yellow color, not dyed yellow like kraft slices which are crap.
>>
File: horror.jpg (34 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
horror.jpg
34 KB, 200x200
>>7491493
>more than one grade

i know great value is the absolute worst.

you buy it thinking it must be identical to kraft singles. nope.

it doesn't melt. it just turns into this waxy, gritty mush.
>>
>>7491612
Target has the best store brand food I've ever bought. Great Value is hit or miss but it mostly is a miss. They have decent non-food store brand stuff though.
>>
>>7491486
It will always be the standard cheese for burgers and grilled cheese. I don't say best, but standard. And there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>7491486
Bleu cheese is the best burger cheese. I've recently been convinced of this, and I'm preaching the gospel.
>>
File: Single.jpg (1 MB, 3568x2321) Image search: [Google]
Single.jpg
1 MB, 3568x2321
Are these supposed to be the same price as regular cheese? It's like 2.25$ per 100 grams which is.. actually more expensive than the "cheap" marbled cheddar I buy.

I want to try them again, I don't think I've had them since I was a kid. But that seems like a lot for yellow plastic.
>>
>>7491486
Try Jarlsberg, it might seem like a waste putting it on a burger but it's softer than cheddar and tastes good
>>
File: 653-American-Cheese-White.jpg (999 KB, 4256x2848) Image search: [Google]
653-American-Cheese-White.jpg
999 KB, 4256x2848
>>7491531
This

I am not a huge fan of "singles" and other prepacked low end "cheese product", and I doubt anyone here on ck is.

Buying it from a decent brand at a deli is a different story. It has the same mild taste you are looking for, but is just so much better.
>>
File: Attachment.jpg (26 KB, 335x459) Image search: [Google]
Attachment.jpg
26 KB, 335x459
Hasn't anyone else ever heard of Cooper Sharp? It's the best and last of the real American cheeses.
>>
>>7491486
American cheese is different from kraft singles.
>>
>>7491489
On McDonald's burgers it just doesn't matter anymore. The beef is already disgusting enough, no cheese could ever save it. The only thing worth ordering at McDonald's are the fries.
>>
>>7491486
American cheese is designed to melt very evenly at low temperatures, becoming a kind of cheese sauce on hot sandwiches. That's why it's so popular for burgers and on egg sandwiches.

And at the low end that's fine. On a fast food burger or a bacon/sausage, egg and cheese from a deli it works great. But of course you can do better, it's just that cheap places are not going to spend the money on good cheese, because good cheese is expensive, and some customers actually don't like cheese that has any flavor. They just want a gooey sauce to glue their hot sandwich together.
>>
>>7491486
they do but they dont have to be shit
its just they've realized people will accept shit and buy it regardless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENMoC6fMwFE
>>
>>7492539
>American cheese is different from kraft singles.

Not in any fundamental way. They're both processed cheese (meaning both have cheese as an actual ingredient at some point in their process, unlike things like velveeta) kraft singles are just really shitty processed cheese. Kraft Singles are a form of american cheese.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.