[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are /ck/s specialties? like, what are the dishes you've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8
File: CAM00340.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
CAM00340.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
what are /ck/s specialties?

like, what are the dishes you've made so many times you've surely perfected your methods? the ones you know so well inside and out that you couldn't possibly fuck up if you tried, that you can bend to any situation or any flavor profile?

personally, my "specialties" are:
>cookies (any and every kind but especially good chewy cookies, fuck your crispy or cakey bullshit)
>bread pudding
>pie (especially the crust, family recipe)
>steak served whole as an entree
>salmon steaks or fillets
>tuna steaks, ahi a best
>sauteed asparagus, brussels sprouts, green beans (each has their own unique flavor profile)
>sweet potato (ESPECIALLY in casserole!)
>roasting a whole bird like turkey

also, I'm gonna list some things I wish I was better at, and maybe someone else can come save me with one of their specialties.
>chicken breast
>spinach, artichoke, beets
>shrimp
>pork

pic related: a beautiful rare tuna steak by moi.
>>
My speciality is jelly on toast
>>
You better not put marshmallows on your sweet potato.
>>
>>7490385
fuck no I do not
that is children's shit
I can give you an amazing recipe for a sweet potato casserole that people will be hesitant to try and later beg you for the recipe after they've eaten the entire dish of it, if you're interested. I should enter that shit in a contest somewhere.
>>
>>7490361
oh ugh I forgot baklava on my list
my family is Lebanese so of course we make the best baklava. fuck yo Greek shit, fuck yo Turkish shit. lemon + rosewater is good and all but mazahar is where it's at.
>>
spaghetti with ketchup

the key is to use very little ketchup and not salt the pasta water
>>
>>7490361
pork i seem to have an easy time with, especially tenderloin with a pan sauce, like mustard diablo (thnx foodwishes)

im also p good at the grill, moreso than my fat racist uncle who hogs the fucking grill and burns everything.

i dont know if its really that hard, but people in my family, both sides, have struggled with carving meats and i have no problem with that. i also mince like a fucking 4 star faggot, which makes no sense since all you need to do is have a little energy and practice. how do moms not want to perfect and hone their cooking skills? christ...
>>
>>7490361
I'm really good at meringue pies. I sell them during the holidays like hot cakes.
>>
>>7490361
>cream corn soup
>bolognese & carbonara
>lecsó and similar hungarian stews

I've not been cooking as much lately, too little time.
>>
>>7490521
tell me about these hungarian stews.
what veggies and meats are prominent? herbs and spices? which is your favorite?
I love learning about new cuisines from people who actually cook them. wikipedia can give me an overview but it's not the same as an actual cook.

>>7490505
which one do you sell the most of?

>>7490498
I have a bad problem with either over-cooking or under-cooking my pork. how do you know when it's done just right? how do you keep it juicy?
>>
>>7490533
Coconut cream, lemon meringue, and chocolate meringue are always my top sellers

I also make a butterscotch pie that is very popular with the old timers.
>>
>>7490385
Whats if it's homemade sweet meringue????
>>
>>7490545
do you have to have any kind of license to sell the pies? state regulation or anything?
I've considered doing cookies for a long time but wouldn't want to get in trouble with the state.
>>
White rice. I am a beast at it. Any pan, fire or electric. I make a pretty fucking good white rice. Took me almost 5 years of making it everyday to perfect it.

I'm also pretty good at eggs any way.

Total shit at homemade beans. They always taste like shit.
Also shit at curries.
>>
>>7490630
Look for a public certified community kitchen, pencil in your desired time every week get your serve safe online. The certified kitchen will help you file all the paper work.

Pretty easily actually. OR you can get serve sage manager, and contact the state to inspect your kitchen. More expensive and more work. But you have options anon.
>>
>>7490361
I can fry an egg to perfection just by staring at it by now. I'm a fried egg master. Don't eat them tho, just make them for my family. I liked them soft boiled, and I manage to fuck it up erry tiem.
>>
>>7490630
I make them at a local church that has a certified kitchen. Never had any problems. Here in Texas, I also fall under a cottage business as well. ($50,000 yr or less) People can come to my home and pick them up without me having to have a license. Most of my business is word of mouth. I don't advertise.

I do have a business tax ID though. I make all kinds of stuff. Not just pies. Jams, jellies, salsa, soap, etc.
>>
>>7490361
You sound like an absolute faggot. Here's your you
>>
>>7490640
>>7490653
this is something I never would have thought of. this is ingenious. I'm definitely going to look into this next holiday season. thanks for the fantastic idea! I already have a servsafe qualification from last year. they last about 3 years, don't they? fucking sweet.

>>7490635
can you make it aromatic and sticky like from a chinese restaurant?
>>
>>7490674
Totally do it. If it's a quality product people will buy it, tell their friends, etc. if it costs you 5 bucks to make the pie then don't charge any less than 10. I sell to most for $15 and have never had any issue. People always come back. Don't devalue yourself, your time, or your craft.
>>
>>7490361
your specialty seems to be taking the shittiest photos in the fucking world
>>
>>7490695
what would you pay for a dozen custom cookies that are about normal, baseball-diameter-sized? because cookies cost almost nothing to make, but I want to be able to make profit on them.
>>
>>7490452
Gimme recipe
>>
>>7490361
teach me how to make good cookies and pie crust
>>
>>7490361
Challenge me /ck
>>
>>7490545
how about some recipes
>>
>>7490717
Take what it costs you to make them, and double or triple it.

You want to be able to sell that cookie, make enough profit to make another cookie, and pay yourself for your time. If a cookie costs you 25 cents to make, then you would sell it for no less than 50 cents.
>>
>>7490732
For what? Pie crust, filling, meringue?
>>
>>7490747
yeah all of those
>>
>>7490717
You gotta be prepared to have samples too. Anyone can make a chocolate chip cookie, you have to make a cookie that stands apart from the others.

What makes your chocolate chip cookie different or better than all the other chocolate chip cookies? .. . Trust me, if it's unique and/or delicious people will buy.

I'm using chocolate chip cookies as an example obviously.
>>
>>7490753
The best meringue uses room temp egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar.

For a basic meringue use 4 egg whites, 8 Tbs sugar, 1/8 tsp cream of tartar.

Beat egg whites till soft peaks form, add cream of tartar, gradually add the sugar 1 Tbs at a time.

When you think your egg whites have been beaten enough, beat them more. Seriously, Beat the shit out of them until the sugar is completely dissolved and incorporated.

Do not add sugar until you get soft peaks.
>>
>>7490780
sounds good

how about the filling/crust?
>>
>>7490761
choc chip is too obvious.
some of my most well-received cookies have been Dark Chocolate Mole, Peach Cobbler, Black Forest, Strawberries n Cream, and Turtle Cheesecake.

that's a good point about the samples. I'll keep it in mind. I'd be able to work around whatever they wanted in their cookies too, so if someone has a hankerin' for a caramel cheesecake cookie, or a blueberry cobbler instead of peach, y'know, the sky's the limit.

>>7490739
thanks for the tips. this is gonna happen. besides churches, any other places you can think of that have "certified kitchens?"

>>7490719
bake, peel, and mash 3-4 sweet potatoes with about 2 Tbsp butter, 1/4c heavy cream, 2 Tbsp white sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon and 2 tsp cayenne powder, 1 tsp of paprika, and a couple pinches of salt. set aside. adjust the seasonings as you like. adding cloves or red pepper flakes wouldn't be out of the question.

the day before, take about a half pound of fresh cranberries and soak them in a bowl covered with water, with a Tbsp of lemon juice and a Tbsp of sugar. this helps preserve the flavor and gets rid of some of the sourness.

fire-roast a poblano pepper. I usually do this on my gas burner, but you can also bake it on the bottom rack in your oven, turning often until all the skin is black.

cool and dice up your poblano. try to avoid putting too many seeds into your sweet potatoes. add the poblano peppers and drained, whole cranberries to your sweet potato mixture and spoon it into a casserole dish.

for a 9x13 glass dish, take a stick of butter (softened), 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and 2-3 Tbsp of flour. cut together until course crumbs form. you could mix in nuts at this point if you like. spread the topping over the casserole. bake at 425 until the topping is set and golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.

it's perfectly sweet, tangy, and spicy without being too much of any. people love how interesting it is and often say it's a cross between an side and a dessert.
>>
>>7490807
cough up the cookie and pie crust recipes
>>
>>7490813
the cookies are my livelihood, can't share 'em, pal.

for the pie crust the secret is to use half butter, half shortening (like Crisco), and to use ice-cold water at the end to moisten just enough.

2 1/2 c flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 stick butter, CHILLED, cut into tiny cubes
(put it back into the fridge after cutting it so it's very cold when meeting the flour)
5/8 c Crisco or other vegetable shortening

cut together with a pastry blender until you get fine crumbs and a dough begins to form, don't overmix. add ice-cold water one tablespoon at a time until you are able to make a cohesive dough. chill the dough for an hour before rolling and using.

butter make a better flavor but makes it too tough. crisco has much less flavor but helps it to be flaky and light. the trick is getting the right ratio, which is just a little bit more crisco than butter.

if you use salted butter, don't add salt to your flour.
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 537x782) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 537x782
>>7490793
For a single crust pie: 9-10 inch

1 1/2 c sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c shortening
4-5 Tbs cold water

This will give you enough pastry for a beautiful edge on the pastry shell

Sift together the flour and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pasty blender till the pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tbs of the water over part of the mixture. Toss. Sprinkle next Tbs of water over dry part, mix lightly, toss. Repeat till all is moistened. Now, form
It into a ball. Roll out to 1/8'inch thick and fit it loosely onto the pie plate and trim 1/2 to 1 inch beyond the edge, fold under and flute.

If you need to cook the crust beforehand then prick the bottom and sides well with a fork. Precooked pie shell at 450 for about 10-12 min.

For extra tender pastry cut in 1/2 of the shortening till the mixture looks like corn meal. Then cut in the remaining shortening till it looks like small peas.

Really hard to describe. Sounds complicated but it isn't.
Pastry cutter is key here.
>>
>>7490807
Yes, I know. I was just using it as an example. It sounds like you have good recipes. Go for it man. The sky's the limit.
>>
>>7490844
>>7490847
thanks!
>>
>>7490844
(I should have mentioned this makes two pie crusts, like if you were making an apple pie that requires a top and bottom crust)
>>
>braised beef shanks
>takoyaki
>tonkotsu ramen
>bourbon pecan pie
>hot wings
>quiche (I can honestly say I most likely make some of the best quiche in the world)
>pulled pork (the real kind, that's smoked, with vinegar sauce, not that putrid shit from a crockpot)
>roasted turkey or chicken
>duck liver pate
>Zhereshk Polow
>NY style cheesecake
>any roasted vegetable
>tomato sauce
>grilled salmon fillet
>grilled stuffed flat bread (Turkish Golzeme)
>tuna salad (yeah, it's a simple thing, but mine is perfection)
>saltine toffee
>key lime pie
>chili con carne
>chili verde
>probably a dozen or more sauces
>>
>>7491024
>>quiche (I can honestly say I most likely make some of the best quiche in the world)
teach me the ways, oh quiche-master
I've never made a quiche before because I'm too afraid to fugg it up.
>>
Collared greens, black eye peas with ham hocks, chilli, pork ribs, peach cobbler and pigs feet. Return of the mammy.
>>
I'm a fag
>>
>>7490361
A few lebanese meat dishes
Cookies have always come naturally
Muffins

The one I'm most proud of is my carbonara. Took me months and dozens of different recipes make over and over to perfect it.

There's also a couple of family recipes for various things, but I can't really claim those.
>>
> senpai bakers

Post pie filling and cookie recipes plz. I will keep secret.
>>
>>7491024
Describe the ingredients, ONLY the ingredients of your duck liver pate, your braised beef shanks and your chili con carne.
>>
I'm consistent at cooking any type of eggs.
I've never fucked up a cheeseburger.
Mac&cheese is on point.
Sausage gravy is killer (need biscuit recipe though)
Hot Dog chili (I'll eat it on everything)

I don't have the passion for cooking that I used to have. I make easy stuff.
>>
File: 1457934970683.jpg (424 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
1457934970683.jpg
424 KB, 1800x1200
>>7490361
After many years of living alone or in uni I have become a slow cooker god. Beef stew, beef bourguignon, corned beef hash, chili, whatever.

Also stir fry, burgers, and scrambled eggs thanks to you fucks believe it or not.
>>
I've perfected the family Spaghetti recipe, the secret is a dash of red wine. The trick to making porkchops is to use plenty of bacon grease when you fry them, I like a breading of flour and garlic.
>>
Braised short ribs
Saute some diced onions until browned, add garlic and then deglaze with some cognac or brandy, add some beef stock. Season with salt and pepper, some thyme if you have it available. Take 6-8 short ribs and brown under a broiler, place short ribs in a casserole dish and cover halfway with prepared broth. Cover casserole dish tightly and place in 275 degree oven for six hours. When done remove short ribs, pour cooking juices into a glass measuring cup and use a paper towel to extract the layer of fay on top. Pour jus over short ribs and you will have the tastiest braised meat you have ever cooked. If you want to cheat use a packet of Lipton's Onion soup mix but be prepared for a salty jus. Fucking heaven.
>>
>>7491059
I'll be happy to,
I'm about to go for my post-dinner run, but just check back later and I'll tell you how to make panty - wetting quiche.
>>
>>7490361
Gumbo with oysters, crab, and crawfish
Stuffed burgers
Salsa verde shredded steak tacos
Milkshakes
All that comes to mind.

Working on perfecting my nigiri
>>
>>7490368
Jelly man Kelly?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjNteHSCCSg
>>
File: marhapörkölt-480x299.jpg (24 KB, 480x299) Image search: [Google]
marhapörkölt-480x299.jpg
24 KB, 480x299
>>7490533
Stew here is called 'pörkölt' or when thickened with sour cream, 'paprikás'. It's quite dry with little sauce and no veg besides some aromatics. The very basic form is this:

1. sweat finely chopped onions in pork fat
2. add sweet or hot paprika and fry a little
3. add seasoned cubes of meat
4. spices
5. simmer until tender
6. serve over 'nokedli' or with bread

There are at least a hundred variations on this basic theme, I'll give you two of my favorites.

>Beef pörkölt with red wine:
Pic related

1. use finely diced lardo style smoked bacon instead of fat
2+. Add chopped sweet waxy pepper and tomato
3. Use a cheap cut of beef, generously seasoned and browned
3+. Add 2:1 dry red wine and water to almost cover
4. pinch of ground cumin seeds, marjoram and thyme

This is always served with nokedli:
Pic: http://kiskegyed.blikk.hu/lapokkepek/cikkek/64000/64801_nokedlijo-640c.jpg
1. Mix an egg, some flour, a pinch of salt and water into a very thick batter
2. Pour a portion onto a cutting board then use a knife to flick small drops into boiling water

cont'd.
>>
File: paprikas_nagy.jpg (258 KB, 610x400) Image search: [Google]
paprikas_nagy.jpg
258 KB, 610x400
>>7490533
>>7491536 cont'd,

>Catfish paprikás with csusza (pasta similar to broken up lasagne):
2+. Add a variety of finely chopped peppers (I use local varieties, use whatever types you enjoy), and crushed garlic
3. Dust cubed, seasoned catfish in a mixture of flour and paprika; quickly brown them over high heat
4. pinch of nutmeg
Before 5. When almost done, ladle most of the sauce into a separate bowl, thicken with your cream and some flour; pour misture back into the pot
5. don't overcook this, or this fish will be destroyed

Serve this over csusza:
Pic: http://www.mindmegette.hu/images/7/O/14985_hazi_turos_csusza_n-201510170330.jpg
1. Cook csusza pasta or broken up pieces of lasagne until a bit over al dente, drain.
2. Fry finely cubed bacon, mix into pasta
3. Stir in some cottage cheese
>>
>>7491381
It's on my other fucking computer. I'll have to post it in the morning. Sorry about that. But, I'll get it done. I can tell you this. There's two main reasons why it's the best quiche ever. One, the pastry, and two, the perfect ratios and quality of cheeses and dairy to eggs. You end up with a rich, melt-in-your-mouth texture with a super flaky, buttery pastry. It's magic.
>>
>>7491539
>thicken with your cream
Sour cream, I meant to write sour cream...
>>
>>7491414
Hey can you share your gumbo recipe? I'm Australian but visited NOLA over the holidays and really want to make a good gumbo.
>>
File: bawbie.jpg (154 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
bawbie.jpg
154 KB, 354x500
>>7491638
Sure thing!
I like to buy prepackaged gumbo mix because making it completely from scratch is a pain in the ass.
-Half a pound of raw oysters
-Pound of crawfish/shrimp
-Good bit of shredded crab meat
-Raw okra
-1 lime
-Button or baby bella mushrooms diced
-Shit ton of cayenne pepper
-Few dashes of habanero hot sauce
-1/4 to 1/2 stick of butter

Boil water and add mix, reduce it down. Add butter. Squeeze the lime juice in (you can shave it too if you want). Add okra and mushrooms and then spice it up as you see fit. Add the seafood ten minutes before you decide it's time to serve.

That's how I make it - Sorry I'm bad at explaining things. It always comes out really nice and hearty for me; hope you like it!
>>
>Spicy noodles + scrambled egg
>Challah French Toast
>Chili
>Steak and Baked potatoes
>Egg Drop Soup

I don't know how to cook much from memory, I usually just pull up a recipe on my phone and do it when I feel like it, eventually it's committed to memory if I like it and cook it enough.
>>
>chicken marsala
>turkey spinach meatballs
>ricotta stuffed shells with chorizo sauce
>poached salmon with white wine herb sauce
>Guinness beef stew
>broccoli seafood pasta
>beer banana bread
>>
File: citaliansausage.jpg (7 KB, 340x252) Image search: [Google]
citaliansausage.jpg
7 KB, 340x252
My specialty is called...

"Peppa Pig is Hot".

My son can tell you the story.
>>
File: wittig.jpg (13 KB, 212x319) Image search: [Google]
wittig.jpg
13 KB, 212x319
>>7493330
supermeta
>>
>>7490361
OP please share chewy cookie secret and pie crust bb
>>
>>7493160
>challah
My nigga
>>
>>7493165

All and all of that sounds great!

I want
>ricotta stuffed shells with chorizo sauce
>>
>>7490361
Why are you using the same fucking picture everytime? I recognize you, you're that one pretentious femanon that was complaining about how all other women can't cook for shit compared to you. If you want to back up your statement you should really make something new and take a picture of that.
>>
I like this thread. Needs more replies
>>
>>7490545
>>7490653

>pies, jams, jellies, salsa, soap, etc.

Fuckin cool man.
>>
>>7490361
Each has there own flavour profile. Do you mean taste you faggot ??
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.