[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what kind of stuff that says "refridgerate after opening"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: fridge.jpg (10 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
fridge.jpg
10 KB, 480x480
what kind of stuff that says "refridgerate after opening" is actually safe to eat without refridgerating? I'm eating some jelly now that's been sitting on my counter for 3 months, and earlier I ate some horseradish sauce that had been out for about as long. I feel ok now but am I going to get botulism and food poisoning later?

some stuff like sausage and cheese doesn't even make sense, since it was invented as a way to preserve food before refridgeration was invented.
>>
>>7485158
good luck OP
>>
>>7485158
>sausage and cheese is a way to preserve food
Honey, no.
>>
>>7485189
you couldn't store milk or raw meat so you turned it into cheese or sausage which you could hang in your basement
>>
>>7485189
He's kinda right. Take a bunch of milk and leave it out. It'll spoil quicker than you can collect the shit from all your cows. Take that same milk and churn it into butter or make cheese out of it, and it will keep longer than if you had just left it as milk. Probably due to added salt or whatever. Sausage, same deal. Meat spoils. Smoked, salted, and cured meat spoils less quickly.
>>
Probably anything high in sugar or salt will be fine.

I too have wondered and concluded the "refrigerate after opening" is just a covering of the ass for the manufacturer of the product. Mayo is fine for a year if its not opened, same with ketchup mustard jelly, canned food, pickles, etc.

The cold obviously slows bacterial and microbial growth if any is present. So many of our foods have been sterilized and pasteurized to a point that its overly-safe to a point that flavor and quality is diminished.

That kraft parmesan cheese is shelf stable at room temp for a couple years, but once you break that seal, it has to be cold! In reality it'll be fine for a long time even at room temp.

Look at the old world methods and delis, they don't refrigerate curing meats and cheeses. They're left out in the open to gather mold for flavor.
>>
>>7485158
>refridgerate
Stay in school, sport.
>>
>>7485158
It's just a kind tip from your supplier to keep your food stored longer in a refrigerator instead of just leaving it out in open air.

jeez, do you eat your food so fast or you make multiple small groceries trip that you food doesn't last more than a week?
>>
>>7485295
I cook twice a week and make enough food for 5 or 6 days. I don't normally use stuff like mustard and jelly so it sits on the shelf for half a year until I use it all up or it goes noticably bad.
>>
Store bought amygdalate can stay out pretty long. Homemade can't because you get lots of germs in it squeezing the nut bag.
>>
It's simply a question of what kind of hurdles are already inherent to the food item. In food safety, a hurdle is a factor that inhibits or prevents microbial growth and spoilage. The most important hurdle inherent to the food is water activity, then acidity, osmotic pressure etc. The reason a manufacturer would suggest to refrigerate a product is because they cannot guarantee safety without controlling for temperature. That's also why some foods do not say to refrigerate, because, most commonly, they have very little water activity, as in nuts, sweets, snacks, bars etc. which are just various dried products combined. No water = no life, so temperature is irrelevant.
>>
>>7485200
Put your fucking Kraft Singles and Slim Jim in the fridge or you're going to fucking die!!!
>>
>>7485158
l Mayo is safe to leave out as long as you never put it in the fridge to begin with.

I know 2 different women that keep it stored in their pantry. When they open it they put it back in the pantry until they need it again. They've never had any problems. A lot of people do this, too. You just always have to use a clean knife or spoon when getting it out.
>>
>>7485728
Seems risky to me unless you're getting the worst kind of mayo. However most other condiments you can leave out. However if you refridgerate them you can keep them for up to a year as opposed to a few months. With soy sauce you can keep it for something crazy like 3 years instead of 1 year.
>>
>>7485753
Yeah, I keep mine in the fridge because I don't like warm mayo but to each their own I guess.

Here's a snip from this page :

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/00/Jul00/071200/c004.pdf

More than 60 years of research has proven that commercially prepared mayonnaise does not cause foodborne illness. In fact, these commercial products are carefully prepared with ingredients such as vinegar, lemon juice and salt to create an unfriendly environment that slows and even inhibits the growth of bacteria and, indeed, can kill it.

Q. What happens if I leave mayonnaise unrefrigerated for a long period of time?

A. From a food safety standpoint, commercial mayonnaise and mayonnaise-type dressings are perfectly stable when stored at room temperature after opening. Quality, not safety, is the only reason the labels on these products suggest that they be refrigerated after opening. Refrigeration ensures that the commercial mayonnaise keeps its fresh flavor for a longer period of time. Please review the product’s label for more information on storage and shelf life.
>>
>>7485772
Why are health inspectors so anal about it then?
>>
>>7486472
Maybe ask them. But that anon is right.

Many places don't refrigerate the mayo. It isn't necessary as long as you don't cross contaminate.
>>
>>7485237
Tough guy 4u
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.