[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did you cook for St. Patrick's Day?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8
File: 20160317_184544.jpg (883 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160317_184544.jpg
883 KB, 2048x1152
Didn't see a relevant topic in the catalog, so, boop. Here it is.

Pic related, slow-cooker corned beef and cabbage with vegetables. Came out super tender and incredibly tasty.

What did you guys make? How was it?
>>
Idk...I'm fuggin drunk. Probably going to put some sloppy joes in a flour tortilla with cheese because I'm too drunk to be cooking
>>
>>7481040
Corned beef and colcannon as per American tradition.
>>
>>7481149
Colcannon isn't really part of the American tradition of a corned beef dinner.

It is delicious though.
>>
Authentic Irish Stew.
>>
File: Corned Beef and Cabbage.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Corned Beef and Cabbage.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
Finishing up my first plate now.
>>
boiled beef, boiled potatoes, and boiled fart lettuce
>>
>>7481256
Chopsticks? Really?
>>
>>7481268

If you can't drunkenly eat your corned beef and cabbage with chopsticks it means that you must have fucked up at some point.
>>
I didn't work today, so I popped in a corned brisket, some spices and herbs and a few potatoes into the slow cooker and let it go for five hours, adding cabbage and onions halfway through.
Meat was good, but the taters and veg were too mushy. Coulda sworn this is how I did it last year and the year before, but I musta been mistaken.
Next time, potatoes in halfway through, cabbage and onion for the last hour.

So Q4U Amerifriends: why corned beef and cabbage? I've been to Ireland. During St. Patrick's day. They eat ham. Most of them I asked didn't even know what corned beef was.
>>
>>7481366

Why would you expect people to know the historical reasons behind certain foods being eaten on certain occasions?

Corned beef and cabbage is just a tradition, and the vast majority of people celebrating St. Patrick's Day in America aren't even Irish.

For most people is basically just a reason to get drunk.
>>
>>7481040
Made Corned Beef, boiled Cabbage and carrots, roasted Potatoes, and soda bread. Was pretty good.
>>
I made a shepherds pie. Even bought some lamb to go in it. I did also throw in beef stew meat.

My mashed potatoes came out too runny. It was still good though.
>>
>>7481256
Your mustard is touching your bread and this makes me irrationally angry.
>>
>>7481439

As long as you're okay with the dollop of mayo in the back by the potatoes.
>>
>>7481366
>>7481384

I'm heard it goes back to Irish immigrants in New York City. The corned beef at Jewish delis was cured, (sorta) tasted like bacon back in Ireland, and was affordable, so they started making it instead of ham.

The more you know.
>>
>>7481491
one again new york saves the food world
>>
>>7481040
That isn't corned beef, that's salt beef and it certainly isn't Irish.
>>
File: Joker.png (100 KB, 317x324) Image search: [Google]
Joker.png
100 KB, 317x324
>>7481397
>shepherds pie
>Irish
>>
>>7481040
Nothing. Thinking of ordering teriyaki.
>>
>>7481503
Jews know how to make a brisket. For this reason they know how to make a sandwich.
>>7481541
That's corned beef and nobody called it Irish you filthy mick bastard.
>>
>>7481541
>I'm a fucking twat and I want everyone to know
>>
>>7481040
I'm not a muh heritage so nothing special.
>>
>>7481260
Don't be stupid, the Irish didn't have potatoes.
>>
>>7481366
They wouldn't know what you were talking about because only Americans call salt beef corned beef.
>>
>>7481556
>nobody called it Irish
>What did you cook for St. Patrick's Day?

You're a special kind of stupid.
>>
All you murrifats make me fucking sick
>>
>>7481567
Don't worry, we could tell you were just from your post.
>>
>>7481586

St. Patrick's Day has about as much to do with Ireland as Christmas has to do with Jesus.
>>
>>7481040
a frozen pizza
>>
File: cat-beeps-nose-of-other-cat.jpg (32 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
cat-beeps-nose-of-other-cat.jpg
32 KB, 500x322
>>7481040
>so, boop
Did you just boop us? Been awhile since I had cabbage.
>>
File: Americans - Kermit.jpg (19 KB, 384x395) Image search: [Google]
Americans - Kermit.jpg
19 KB, 384x395
>>7481595
>St. Patrick's Day has about as much to do with Ireland as Christmas has to do with Jesus.
>>
>>7481608

This is the second time I've seen that image today and it made no sense in either context.

America is on average less secular than most other first world countries.
>>
File: IMG_7031.jpg (1003 KB, 1728x1152) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7031.jpg
1003 KB, 1728x1152
i'm corning a half brisket but i'm not going to cook it until saturday
>>
I live in Australia so our St. Patrick's Day was yesterday.

My bf and I made irish potato cakes, boxty I think they're called? Soda bread (no raisins thank you), a pickled cabbage and corned beef pizza, and shepherd's pie because potatoes. And now we have leftovers for the whole weekend good shit.
>>
>>7481608
Fuck the yuropoors are waking up. Another night of their obsession.
>>
>>7481669
>Another night of their obsession.
>In a thread obsessing over us

Wew you scoot'N'shoots are dumb.
>>
>>7481676

This thread isn't explicitly about yuropoors at all.

Just two posts up from you there's a fucking 'strayan talking about doing shit for this international holiday.
>>
File: 1376228103778.gif (4 KB, 271x204) Image search: [Google]
1376228103778.gif
4 KB, 271x204
>>7481708
>Saint Patricks day has nothing to do with Europe
>>
>>7481738

>yuropoor "logic"
>>
Made some soda bread. Just a simple recipe: even mix of white and whole wheat flour, salt, just a touch of sugar, couple tbsp of butter, baking soda, and buttermilk. Came out pretty good; might try and go for a slightly more crumbly loaf next time though. This one turned out more on the chewy end of things (which, don't get me wrong, is fine.)
>>
>>7481491
So I decided to give this a look. I found some info saying that when the Irish first started getting to the US in large numbers, everyone hated them and no one would rent them lodging except for Jews, so they lived in Jew neighbourhoods and were introduced to corned beef in Jew delis.
Thanks for the info.

>>7481584
I've had salt beef. Salt beef is a different food entirely. Corned beef is a whole chunk of beef. Every salt beef I've had was pasteurised, processed meat-food product, basically a gigantic lump of forcemeat cured in a similar, though not identical, manner to corned beef. And corned beef is spiced while salt beef isn't. And I described corned beef as "kind of like salt beef." Only a handful of the people I talked to knew it at all.
Then I insulted a girl who looked/dressed like Vicky Pollard if she was a chav. She got very pissy and spouted numerous expletives.
>>
Full English breakfast
>>
popcorn for breakfast
two veggie burgers with fresh spinach, heirloom tomatoes, spicy pickles, and onions (several hours apart, btw)
pork and shrimp gyoza
>>
>>7481040
i made the wife and kid submarine sandwiches, classic irish food.
aka hoagies
aka heroes
aka grinders
aka wedges
aka po'boys
aka sammies
>>
>>7481794
I see, you're just baiting.
>>
>>7482620
You're doing that American thing again, stop it. Salt beef is corned beef in clapland. Corned beef, actual corned beef, the original meaning of the word, is beef that's corned.

Why do Americans do this, take things that have existed before they have and then swap all sorts of names around and then act like that is the real usage? I have seen you do this countless times.

It is the height of arrogance.
>>
>>7482944

Every language in every nation does that.
A great example for the British is their use of the word "curry".
>>
>>7482944
why do you use the term corned when it's salt and not corn you faggot? Ever learn to grow corn in your shitty ass country? Guess not.
>>
>>7482950
Curry is a British word.
>>
I had a grilled cheese sandwich with a can of pork and beans.
>>
>>7482957
Because they are corns of salt you utter fucking cretin. Every time you think Americans couldn't sink any lower as a people, you are put in awe.
>>
File: 094905_laff.jpg (17 KB, 265x300) Image search: [Google]
094905_laff.jpg
17 KB, 265x300
>>7482957
>what are saltpetre corns?
Etymology you absolute fuckwit.
Why do you bother posting here, you clearly know fuck all about food and cooking?
Fucking /v/irgin.
>>
>>7482950
>A great example for the British is their use of the word "curry".

Explain.
>>
>>7482960

It's a anglicized version of a Tamil word which means "sauce". The British applied it to any number of dishes from any and all regions of India regardless if the dishes were called that in the local language or not.
>>
>>7482966
>>7482967
don't see any corn in that beef dumb asses hurrrrr my corn and beef and my dry curry are all I have in this life and I don't even have corn.
>>
>>7482971

Curry is the Anglicised version of a similar-sounding Tamil word referring to a certain kind of sauce local to that region. the tamil word refers to the sauce only, it's not the name for a whole dish or type of cooking. The British took the word "Curry" and applied it to a massive number of dishes which aren't even called that in India (or Thailand or Malaysia, etc.). Of course then it spread from British English to the rest of the English-speaking world. It's just as inaccurate to call various Indian dishes "curry" as the inaccuracies of "Corned beef" that anon was complaining about in American English.
>>
>>7481040
roast potatoes, steak, and boiled cabbage. turned out pretty good. then i got drunk and watched porco rosso with my bud
>>
>Google I know

Can some one tell me a basic corned beef recipie. Every one I've looked at says buy corned beef and add a spice packet. Can I just have the spices and do it my self.
>>
>>7483035
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corned-beef-recipe.html
>>
>>7483035
This guy is seriously good.
>https://vimeo.com/14498463
>>
>>7482974
Here is your reply.
>>
>>7483003
If you're thinking of the work "kari" then you're wrong. "Kari" means burnt, not sauce.
>>
>>7482944
You know what's more arrogant, homie? Assuming I'm American when I'm not because I said something you dislike and everyone you dislike on the internet is American. Yes, yes. All of the people who have experience disparate from your own are Americans. Yup.
/That/ is the height of arrogance, friend-o. :-)

We don't have corned beef or salt beef in my country. The closest thing we have is a piece of beef cut from the upper part of the hind leg that is then soaked in herbed-and-salted wine, then air-dried. No curing salt is used.

The first time I encountered corned beef, a fatty cut of brisket wet-cured with saltpetre and spices, was in the US. The first time I encountered salt beef, a lean forcemeat of beef mince wet-cured with saltpetre and no spices, was in the UK. I encountered a second time in Ireland. Then a third time on the Isle of Man at Shoprite.
>>
>>7483095
You're doing it again, American.
>>
>>7483170
:^)
>>
>>7483095
Everyone laugh at the self hating American
>>
>>7482944
>anon uses uk spellings and forms
>posts at an hour when americans would be sleeping
>"look at this american!!!"
wut
>>
>>7481040
Stuck a couple of flagons in the oven, set it to 140 and watched that shit bake
>>
>>7482973
So it's an English word.
>>
>>7482620
>The only people who'd take their money were Jewish

What a revelation.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.