[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Microwaves and their effects on food and body
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 1457829065970.gif (2 MB, 445x280) Image search: [Google]
1457829065970.gif
2 MB, 445x280
This is my first time posting on /ck/ since I started coming here in 07' and wanted to know what you guys thought.

How bad are Microwaves to the human body? My mother and I use it almost every day for food, when she buys veggies they're the frozen ones you put in the microwave, leftovers we use the microwave.

Now I don't know if this the cause of his death but my father died of brain cancer two years ago and he's never had brain cancer in his family.
>>
>>7480954
>This is my first time posting on /ck/ since I started coming here in 07' and wanted to know what you guys thought.

You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>7480954
They're perfectly safe.

Stop listening to the tinfoil hat conspiracy theory retards.
>>
>>7480954
>my father died of brain cancer two years ago and he's never had brain cancer in his family.
I wish you had put this part of your post in the very first paragraph so I wouldn't have had to read the rest.
I'm sorry to hear your father died, but thinking cancer is hereditary is ridiculous.
>>
>>7480967
>>7480960
It's more so that from reading and doing research that Microwaves have a higher chance of effecting the brain then any other part of the body
>>
>>7480974
Sure, if you stick your head in the path of an unshielded 2.4Ghz magnetron horn, you might cause some damage. Is that something you do on a regular basis?
>>
>>7480967
Cancer itself isn't hereditary but susceptibility to cancer can be due to inheriting gene mutations that can increase risk of developing specific types of cancer.
>>
>>7480974

What does that have to do with your food? You know the microwaves don't stay behind in your food, right? The microwaves only exist while the oven is running. Once the oven turns off the waves are gone.
>>
radio to microwaves carry the same amount of energy that is inherent to molecules of around 25 degrees celsius

they work because the wavelength of the vibration is equal to the O-H stretch vibration of H2O, water

This is also why your plate doesn't get hot in the microwave, because there is no water in there

so yeah if u microwaved urself you might get warm
>>
>>7480961
>tinfoil hat
>around a microwave

That's a good way to start a fire Anon.
>>
>>7481003
>energy being created AND destroyed

I think you may want to take science again.
>>
microwaves are just light of a color your eyes can't see
>>
>>7481126
>This is also why your plate doesn't get hot in the microwave, because there is no water in there

my ceramic plates sure as fuck get to 9000 degrees in the microwave.
>>
>>7481132
Only if you stick your head in the microwave while it's running.
>>
>>7480954
are you dumb? Microwave radiation is non-ionizing

you don't have a fucking reactor in your kitchen
>>
>>7480954
if the microwaves are kept inside their microwave, they're fine
>>
>>7481165
That's silly, microwaves won't turn on when the door is open, just tried it.
>>
>>7481169
What about the microwaves from the microwave that you're keeping your microwaves in?
>>
>>7481138
put it in without anything on there

its all convection
>>
>>7481183
they dissipate every quickly
>>
File: 1446754523029.jpg (343 KB, 1200x1445) Image search: [Google]
1446754523029.jpg
343 KB, 1200x1445
>>
>>7481186
In not a "set it, and forget it" chef, I take cooking seriously and keep a every close eye on my meals
>>
>>7481192

well to be fair microwave popcorn does contain toxic chemicals

and their manner of cooking can reduce the nutritional content of some nutrients more than other cooking styles, though 'destroy' is a bit steep of a word.
>>
>>7480954
Non ionizing radiation is harmless to you
Non ionizing radiation doesnt stay in your food once it turns off.

Willfully ignorant people yell and scream about "radiation" without understanding its the same type that comes out of your router and cell phone all day in and out of your body.

The Microwave is not inherently dangerous at all to you.
>>
I read about a study wherein two plans were watered daily were given water at the same temperature, but one had been previously nuked. That one died while the other flourished...
>>
>>7481273
How do you know the microwave did that and not chemtrails, Nibiru or interdimensional aliens?
>>
>>7481273
>read about a study
so didn't actually read the study
>two plants
so a completely worthless sample size
>>
>>7481230
No, the nutrition thing is bullshit.
Put salt in a microwave and turn it on after look inside and oh wonder there is still the same fucking salt inside

The microwave is not a fucking magical device that goes around and destroys all the "good" nutritions of your food how do you even come up with such bullshit?
>>
They work by exciting water molecules, that's it. You're fine, people just develop cancer sometimes.

Really sorry about what happened to your dad, though.
>>
>>7481457
Not that other guy, but I can see where nutrition could get destroyed.

The whole point of a microwave is to cause the molecules in water to vibrate, so fast that it causes friction and heat. It inherently evaporates the water, which is why when you over microwave shit it gets dry.

If the fluid has some sort of nutrients in it and it evaporates, or gets so hot it burns the nutrients, I could see a loss in them.
Not sure how meaningful or prevalent it would be though.
>>
>>7481475
Idk that sounds like it goes against the concept of distilling water

The only stuff i can understand is heat sensitive vitamins but even then the time is much too short compared to cooking which sometimes takes several hours
>>
>>7481286
>>7481296
Not presenting the study as actual evidence, just remembered it as the only thing I've ever read about microwaves affecting food negatively
>>
>>7481135
>Energy can't change forms
>golly how does my food get hot in the microwave? where did all this heat come from?

you might want to finish school anon
>>
>>7481475
What the fuck you think happens when you steam shit, you stupid shit?

What the fuck do you think heat is? It is molecules vibrating faster.
http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/cosmic_classroom/light_lessons/thermal/heat.html
>>
>>7481475
thats not how any of this works. Microwaves just cause water molecules to vibrate - and if you leave it in long enough, vibrate violently causing things like rubbery chicken and mushy vegetables. Its peoples stupidity who treat microwaves like ovens and leave that shit in there for more than 4-5 minutes. No more than 2 minutes - if its still cold than about a minute more.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.