[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: things you thought were /ck/ memes but are actually real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
ITT: things you thought were /ck/ memes but are actually real
>>
Congratulations, you discovered that everything the retards on /ck/ call memes aren't actually memes.
>>
>>7480012
There's nothing wrong with garlic powder
>>
>>7480021
I disagree. It's far less useful/flexible than raw garlic is.

Raw garlic has a variety of flavors depending on how you cook it. Raw it has a strong bite. Cook it a little and it's more mellow, a lot like the powder. Roast it and it has a totally different flavor. You don't get that flexibility with powder. Raw garlic is cheap and keeps for ages so what's the problem with using it?
>>
>>7480012
>actually real

Did you not think that garlic powder existed?
>>
I have never used garlic powder.
I always use garlic cloves.

What's the meme?
>>
>>7480012
Ranch dressing on pizza is actually a thing nowadays, and not just a regional quirk from the Midwest.

Chicken Alfredo pasta is a popular dish, and not just an abomination from the Olive Garden.

There are actually folks who eat frozen pizza enough to have a preference 0of one brand over another.

There are people who think anyone who doesn't like fast/junk food must be lying, because that stuff is "scientifically designed" to taste good.

People do get very defensive when the topic of vegans comes up.
>>
>>7480048

And this is why you fail.
>>
>>7480048
it disperses pretty well

so if i want to make a quick tuna salad, a dash of this adds much better than crushing a single close and trying to just spread a small amount
>>
I put onion powder in my ramen broth.
>>
>image.jpg
>>
>>7480012
If I making a sandwich for a few people I'll use onion and garlic powder (and a lot of other stuff) in my mayonnaise to make it tangy. Because it'll turn a 5/0 into 7/10 real quick
>>
Garlic powder has its place. Suppose I'm making fried chicken, how am I going to add -garlic to that? It won't mix in with the flour/spice mixture.
>>
>>7480048
Depends on the usage, real garlic will always be better but that only matters when your time is worthless. Powdered is perfectly fine in a lot of cases.
>>
>>7480126
The most popular local chain of pizza in Richmond and VA Beach came with Chanelo's sauce and always has since it existed. Its not exactly ranch but its the closest and that chain has been around for my entire life. Ranch and pizza is not a new regional thing
>>
garlic powder is made in china. you are going to die eating that stuff.
>>
>>7482031

Lots of things are made in China.

Lots of the same things aren't.
>>
>>7480126
You're right. I should put chunks of raw garlic in the flour of the things I fry. Moron
>>
>>7480048
You seem like quite the pretentious cunt
>>
File: 350-888465-847__1.jpg (30 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
350-888465-847__1.jpg
30 KB, 350x350
>>7482031
Although you do have a point, learn to shop better.
>>
Garlic bread is my poorfag solution to garlic bread, just toast a couple slices, slap some butter one and sprinkle some garlic
Raw garlic just doesn't work as well but this is seriously the only situation powder is better.
>>
>>7483637
Yeah the powder is ok for garlic bread, I grant you. But I wouldn't say better. Use a garlic press and press some garlic into a few tablespoons of room temp butter, mix well, spread on bread. Broil. Fug, so guud.
>>
>>7480048
Garlic powder works better in baking. In the sense that it works at all.
>>
>>7483637

Raw garlic works much better for garlic bread, it just takes a little more effort. Smash a few cloves and saute them in butter. Then spread the resulting butter on the bread and toast it under the broiler.
>>
File: 1360357735913.jpg (142 KB, 565x600) Image search: [Google]
1360357735913.jpg
142 KB, 565x600
hey guys
>>
>>7480012

Hello, retards. Get some fresh garlic, chop off the top, wrap it in foil, drench it in olive oil, seal the top, stick it in the oven @ 400F for 45 minutes, let it cool...

Unwrap it and rub it on some decent bread. VOILA, GARLIC BREAD. Baking the garlic turns it into a nice toothpaste-like goo which spreads great.

Garlic powder? Spare me.
>>
>>7483735
If you like the taste of baked garlic. To me it's only marginally better than burned garlic, which is about as bad as garlic powder.

If you want garlic bread melt a little butter, throw in some finely chopped garlic and parsley, then pout that over some bread. Quickly heat the bread under the broiler until warm but nor burnt. Done.
>>
File: rice.jpg (124 KB, 1423x1145) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
124 KB, 1423x1145
>>7480012
rice cookers, pic related.
it's actually pretty hard to think of anything as useless as these, excluding stuff like "olivespoon" or something like that
>>
>>7483749
Garlic bread does not have butter as an ingredient you fucking junk food swilling, uncultured, ignorant swine.
>>
>>7482111
One of these things lasted three fucking years
>>
>>7483762
Like there's an actual standard for what is and is not garlic bread. Fuck, man, the stuff is just a bullshit side dish for fatties to fill up on in cheap restaurants.
>>
File: cj_dell.jpg (55 KB, 741x486) Image search: [Google]
cj_dell.jpg
55 KB, 741x486
>this thread

Do none of you go outside? How could you consider any of these "memes?"
>>
>>7483656
>garlic press
>>
File: toaster.jpg (62 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
toaster.jpg
62 KB, 1000x1000
>>7483760
>it's actually pretty hard to think of anything as useless as these

Here, let me help you.
>>
>>7483817

Everything is a meme on ck.
>>
>>7480048
Powder has its uses too, fail.
>>
>>7482031
Fact California grows a shit ton of garlic and makes the best garlic powder, that the shit tier Chinese night soil fertilized crap. Look for cali garlic powder online, buy a bag and avoid Chinese garlic cause they literally shit on it.
>>
>>7483831
I don't know, it seems to fit with my bathtub just fine.
>>
>>7483883
Spanish garlic is where it's at.
>>
>>7483872

Name one that's not just sheer laziness.
>>
>>7483831
ovens and toaster ovens do a shit job of producing hot toast.
>>
>>7483906
Flouring stuff, sprinkled ontop pizza, dry herb rub. Fact is it gives off a different garlic flavor, I use both garlic and garlic powder in my soups depending. It's lazy and lack of creativity to not experiment with food and come to the conclusion good garlic powder adds a different garlic flavor than whole or sautéed. Garlic has a wide range depending how it's prepared.
>>
File: Garlicpowdershiggydiggy.jpg (413 KB, 471x2557) Image search: [Google]
Garlicpowdershiggydiggy.jpg
413 KB, 471x2557
>>7480012
If this guy uses garlic powder I think no respecting human bean should
>>
>>7483943
>Flouring stuff
Laziness. There are better ways of adding garlic flavor to the food such as marinading the food with garlic before breading it, or using the garlic in a sauce applied later. Adding it to the breading gives you very little garlic flavor but it does a great job of saturating your oil with garlic taste, which you may or may not want for future fryings.

>>sprinkled ontop pizza, dry herb rub.
You can do the either with crushed raw garlic, and that tastes fucking amazing when you're baking your pizza since part of it says somewhat raw for bite yet the top parts of the garlic brown under the heat from the oven.

>>Fact is it gives off a different garlic flavor
Yeah, a boring washed-out oxidized flavor.

>>It's lazy and lack of creativity to not experiment with food
I agree 100%. Once I started experimenting with using raw garlic instead of garlic powder I have never looked back.
>>
File: 137915[1].jpg (29 KB, 216x225) Image search: [Google]
137915[1].jpg
29 KB, 216x225
>>7480126
>There are actually folks who eat frozen pizza enough to have a preference 0of one brand over another.

It matters, if you want an actual good quality pizza American Flatbread is the only way to go, otherwise if I'm just comfort eating or being lazy it's Totino's Party Pizza all the way

>>7483805
them's fighting words, garlic bread is delicious
>>
>>7483964
>buys frozen pizza
>comfort eating
>willing to fight over garlic bread
Enjoy your cheap, greasy carbs, fatty.
>>
File: jcvd1.jpg (40 KB, 480x319) Image search: [Google]
jcvd1.jpg
40 KB, 480x319
>>7480048
you know nothing about real cooking
>>
>>7483961
So you're going to marinate then flour, oh ok, and reusing oil, please. Garlic chunks on a dry rub, you miss the point of dry rub. You can use both crushed or whatever garlic on pizza and powdered, gives it a more complete garlic taste.

Thanks for proving my suspicion.
>>
>>7483995
>5'7"
>130
>fat

pick two
>>
>>7484103
Just give it a few years.
>>
>>7483960
God, I can't believe how wildly successful this cringeworthy little thing is. I see it constantly on the net and people always praise it.
>>
>>7480012
>being this new
It's garlic salt not powder
>neo /ck/
>>
>>7480048
hey I want some garlic on my pizza better dice up a clove

Cause it's that easy and convenient right?
>>
>>7484219
>Cause it's that easy and convenient right?
it's pretty fucking easy. if you want to argue for powdered over fresh at least talk about shelf life or expense or something that makes sense.
>>
People actually willingly consume literal drugs like sugar despite knowing that they completely destroy your body from the inside
>>
>>7484219
If dicing up a clove of garlic is a huge inconvenience to you I'd hate to taste your "cooking".
>>
>>7484219
Yes you lazy ignorant fuck, it's so fucking easy to take time out of your BUSY day of not giving a fuck about what you are putting into your body to TURN THE CORNER AND SOMEHOW MAKE SOMETHING OF YOURSELF with GOD DAMN FRESH INGREDIENTS.

That being said, it's likely your god damn filthy plebeian pizza was out of a box and fucking frozen.

Enjoy your life time of unhealth faggot.
>>
>>7483760
Rice is a dinner staple at my house, so its very useful to have a cooker when I already am using my range for two other things. Plus I don't have to babysit it and it has a "keep warm" function.

I didn't pay much for it, but it also works as a steamer but I never use that function.
>>
>>7484284
Rice only occupies the stove for about five minutes. Then you remove it and allow it to finish cooking in the water.
>>
>>7484247
Ok time to clarify I meant on A pizza you had ordered that would suck you finally get back home with your fresh pizza and instead of just sprinkling some garlic salt on the top you dice a clove of garlic for each slice and spread it by hand.

I make all sorts of soups that use a large amount of garlic
>>
>>7484288
Thats still one more dish for me to fuss with and clean. Stop being a tryhard faggot. Asians all use ricecookers because they are fool proof and you get better results because they cook slower. Stove rice ALWAYS has stuck bottoms and the moisture content can vary based on more variables.

You sound as bad as the toaster people.
>>
>>7484288
>Rice only occupies the stove for about five minutes.
I don't know what kind of rice you're making, but everything I've bought in the past few years has needed to be left on a burner to simmer or else it ends up fucked
>>
>>7480048
How do you coat a steak in raw garlic?
Also garlic powder has a taste different then raw garlic, there are times when I use both.
>>
>>7483690
This! Garlic bread is literally the only thing I'd never consider using power over raw for. Although mixing your butter with olive oil is ideal.
>>
>>7484517
Depends on whether your pot holds heat well.

>>7483760
Wouldn't it be better to just get an electric range then?
>>
>>7484298
>Stove rice ALWAYS has stuck bottoms
Heat's too high or you left it on too long. Rice is one of those things you don't time - every pot is going to be a different time.
Rice comes off the stove based on look and smell and it's not a hard thing to learn.
>>
>>7480012
why did you think garlic powder was a meme? garlic powder and onion powder are keystone seasonings that can be the base of so many different flavors
>>
>>7484532
>How do you coat a steak in raw garlic?
I always finish a steak in a hot pan with butter, thyme and a clove or two of garlic.
>>
>>7484953
>a clove or two of garlic.
That's not nearly enough garlic.
Although I'm kind of a garlic nut. It's my favorite food. I could eat it raw, and I sometimes do while I'm cooking. I eat 1-3 heads a week and buy my garlic powder by the gallon.
>>
>>7484288

>rice only occupies the stove for about five minutes
>why buy a rice cooker when instant rice exists!?
>>
>>7484298

>rice ALWAYS has stuck bottoms

Speak for yourself.
>>
>>7484251

Not sure if troll or just completely insane.
>>
>>7484294
Shouldn't you just ask for diced garlic on that pizza if you are ordering out?
>>
>>7483883
The only people that think the that you can get the best of any kind of produce in the US are people who have never traveled outside the US. The stuff we import in usually sucks but the stuff we grow ourselves is no longer grown for flavor.
>>
>>7484532
I "always" make a little cut in my steak and put half a clove of garlic in there. Great for making a steak florentine, too. Damn I love olive oil.
>>
>>7484570
Ha, well memed my friend.
There's no such thing as onion powder.
>>
>>7485605
Rice cooker rice (from a proper one costing atleast 100 bucks with a locking lid) comes out better tasting than the pot, every single time, without any kind of effort on the part of the person cooking it.
>>
>>7480126
>There are actually folks who eat frozen pizza enough to have a preference 0of one brand over another.
That means:
1. Most frozen pizza is complete shit, and there is exceptions
2. Or there exists frozen pizza thats good

>>7483831
Toasters made complete sense in a pre freezer society
In a post freezer society, they don't make sense.
>>
Garlic powder being better for garlic bread really depends on the type of garlic bread you are making. I tend to make 6 main types

Standard: Just normal plain white bread, toasted with olive oil and garlic powder spread over it
Chunky: Usually, a baguette cut into slices with each slice having a clove of garlic placed into the middle then baked in the oven
Baguette Standard: Mix of the above two, baguette in slices but with olive oil and garlic powder spread
Snarl-ic bread: THICK slices of white bread with holes pierced in, filled with the skin from garlic cloves and with a garlic butter spread. the skin 'pops' and 'sizzles' and makes a snarling sound hence the name
Whole Loaf: One standard size loaf of white bread, unsliced, with garlic butter and powder spread over the sides, like icing on a cake
Cupcake: White bread shoved into a cupcake tray and decorated with garlic powder.
>>
File: 1279994570559.jpg (8 KB, 357x335) Image search: [Google]
1279994570559.jpg
8 KB, 357x335
>>7485759
>Toasters don't make sense
Please elaborate, genuinely curious
>>
>>7485787
Toasters do the exact same thing as rice cookers. They make something that is relatively simple to make but requires exact timing and makes it fool proof while improving the results. You can easily make toast using a broiler, but you have to constantly watch it flip it at the exact moment and then repeat the process over except with a less known amount of time. Not so bad if you're just making garlic bread once a month or so. Complete pain in the ass if you're having toast literally every morning. Rice cookers are similar except the good ones actually make rice better than a pot because they lock the steam in and let it out in a controlled way and can keep it warm for usually an entire day.

Pretty much all the people that argue against rice cookers have toasters on their counters.
>>
File: 1344047550516.png (346 KB, 500x508) Image search: [Google]
1344047550516.png
346 KB, 500x508
>>7485820
Yuropoor here. So a broiler is the same as a toaster oven, right? We don't really have those, but I used to have a "manual" toaster, that only had an on/off switch, and grilled from above. It was a fucking disaster every other time I made toast, because I'm a fucking idiot and always forgot about it, until the whole house was full of smoke.

As for garlic powder, I tried it, but I really didn't feel any taste at all. I don't dice garlic, I grate it with a cheese grater. It's fast, and makes way smaller a mess than a garlic press. If I want garlic toast, I make toast and just rub a clove on the surface of the bread before buttering.
>>
>>7485859

Garlic powder is to garlic as paprika is to peppers. The thing is people tend to use garlic powder as a replacement for garlic and not the spice it is. For the record, I use both depending on the situation.
>>
>>7485748
There is no magic in a rice cooker that makes better rice.
>>
>>7485759
>Toasters made complete sense in a pre freezer society
>In a post freezer society, they don't make sense.
Isn't it the opposite? I mean, aren't toasters just a way to brown frozen beagles without warming the oven up?
>>
>>7486577

No, just a computer that constantly monitors a bunch of factors and makes adjustments to the cooking process in real time.
>>
>>7486577
>He has only had shit rice from a rice cooker without fuzzy logic
>>
ITT: Faggots getting mad over garlic
>>
>>7480048
Broski just keep both in your kitchen.

As well as a garlic plant tbqh
>>
>>7486841
>/ck/ - Cooking
>>
>>7480048
i use garlic powder in rubs and batters. i use fresh garlic for everything else
>>
>>7486876

I use garlic powder when I make spice blends, locally made granulated garlic that I know is fresh as fuck when it's going to stand out, and fresh garlic for 90% of everything else.

Dry ingredients are only worse by default if you're buying shitty ingredients to begin with. If someone is producing a quality ingredient and you can't find a use for it that's your own fault.
>>
>>7485742
Keep spouting nonsense, you haven't tried California garlic and have no idea what you're talking about. It's the chinese crap that has way less flavor than US grown garlic, enjoy the nutty flavor Chinese garlic has, it's just a little shit left over.
>>
>>7486931
No I've had it. Japanese is better
>>
>>7486608
>>7486760
Rice cooking isn't rocket science. You put rice and water into a pot, simmer, and then when it smells good it's done.
>>
Test
>>
File: garlic.jpg (60 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
garlic.jpg
60 KB, 600x350
Rub raw garlic directly onto toast, then top with butter. Superior method.
>>
>>7483760
If you get one that isn't shit, you can use it to cook other things too.
>>
>>7487828
>This
Shits the mad notes.
>>
File: 1454309890657.jpg (15 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1454309890657.jpg
15 KB, 420x420
I boil my pasta in 1/2 cup garlic powder and 1/2 cup onion powder. The only thing better is boiling in red wine with fresh garlic Alfredo
>>
>>7484298
If you do it the way I said, you will never have anything stuck to the bottom.

>>7485604
Stupid person who is as bad at reading posts as he is at cooking rice.

>>7487841
But it won't do a better job than other things that everybody already owns.
>>
>>7487930

>stupid person who is as bad at reading posts as he is at cooking rice

I'm really curious to hear how you cook rice in 5 minutes, and if you started a completely new thread demonstrating your technique I'm positive that virtually everyone on /ck/ would be interested in hearing how you do it too.
>>
You thought garlic powder wasn't "real"? Haha, fucking retard. Anyway, its shit and I'm nearly laughing my ass off at the replies to >>7480048
who are praising the garbage that is garlic powder.

Its shit. Its utter shit. Use fresh garlic. Always.
>>
>>7487409
>Being this inexact with cooking rice

I guess if you're cooking garbage Uncle Bens it doesnt matter, but cooking rice pretty much is a science if you want it to be any good
>>
>>7488014
Most shit that is science can be done by feel with enough experience. Cooking rice require very little if you have someone who knows how to do it show you once.

You can literately smell when rice is at it's best.
>>
>Garlic
>oil
>food processor or blender

boom superior
>>
>>7489506
But it's not dry. The whole purpose of garlic powder is that it's dry.
>>
>people shitting on garlic powder because fresh garlic is "better"

Two completely different things with completely different culinary uses. If you actually cooked, you'd know this.
>>
>>7480048
>Cooking garlic
GET THE FUCK OUT. If you faggots don't like the taste of garlic and onions, STOP FUCKING EATING THEM and eat cupcakes instead you fucking babies.
>>
>>7489575

But being "dry" is rarely if ever important.
>>
>>7489859

Did you even bother to read the post you just replied to? He clearly likes garlic and was pointing out the different ways in which it can be enjoyed.
>>
>>7489859

You're the one who comes off sounding like the picky eater.
>>
pro tip: powder is better for mixing into meats, breads, rubs, and batters. fresh is better for eating plain, adding to dips and sauces, adding to foods after they've been cooked, and giving you the farts. one time i roasted a big-ass pan of garlic in olive oil, and ate about 25 cloves with a cholula-lemon juice combo. had mad gas the rest of the day, but since it smelled like garlic, everyone assumed it was just my breath. only after i left the bathroom from shitting (it reeked of garlic) did anyone know that i was providing them with fresh steamy air biscuits all day. each has its own uses.
>>
>>7489885
Shut up faggot. When you cook garlic you fuck up its entire flavor and turn it acrid. I swear most humans have no taste buds.

>>7489918
Of course I'm a picky eater. I have the sensation of taste, unlike you plebeian shits.
>>
>>7481956
Make a garlic sauce to coat the chicken with
>>
>>7489923
>. I have the sensation of taste

Apparently not, since you seem to think that cooking garlic results in only one flavor. If you actually could taste anything you'd surely realize that it's flavor depends on how long it was cooked and by what method.
>>
>>7489923

>of course I'm a picky eater

You're a picky eater because, unlike the other anon who was describing how using it cooked different ways produces different flavors that are good for different things, you seemed to insist that the only good way to eat garlic is raw.
>>
>>7489923
having the ability to taste food doesnt automatically make you a picky eater, dipshit. sometimes i enjoy canned chicken noodle soup, sometimes i enjoy filet mignon (cooked blue, obviously). fancy expensive refined food is good, and cheap shitty food can also be good. lrn2b8 kid.
>>
>>7483960
That picture is autism. I just donated to autism causes because of it
>>
>>7489923
>picky eater
>taste
Choose one
>>
>>7485780
I make another variety

Garlick my balls!: heat oven to 180 C, take a few cloves of garlic, crush them with a knife, rub with a little olive oil then take the crushed, oily garlic and smear it on your balls, tuck some behind your balls and generally get them all garlicked up, put on a long coat, walk into town, and flash people with your garlic bollocks, screaming "GAR-LICK MY BALLS! GAR-LICK LICK LICK EM UP!"

great with a glass of red after a long day's work
>>
>>7489980
kek
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.