[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a sushi chef anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16
File: 20160314_163008.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160314_163008.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
I'm off today and bored, ask me anything.

Pic related, a hamachi maki roll I made at work
>>
Why not just cook the fucking fish?
>>
>>7479976
Jiro's sushi looks better
>>
>>7479987

Because a lot of fish has a better flavor and texture when raw?
>>
>>7479987

Variety is the spice of life
>>
>>7479988

I never said I was a 3 star sushi chef with 65 years experience.
>>
What's nitsume sauce?
Does sushi grade fish exist?
>>
Can you touch your bellybutton with the tip of your erect penis when standing up straight?
>>
What general region do you live in, how close are you to the ocean, and how fresh is your fish?

Is everything frozen when you get it?
>>
>>7479976
Whats the worst thing quality wise to order? Spicy tuna? Isn't it just the shitty leftovers of the tuna?
>>
How do I start making sushi at home?
>>
>>7480234
Read how to cook sushi rice. Buy sushi rice, fishes, veggies and nori. Make sushi
It's not a great science, you can make a pretty decent batch on your first try, but it takes a long ass time.
>>
>>7480234

Not OP, but this guy is who I watch when I want to brush up on my homemade sushi skills.

He seems pretty legit; the only real issue for most people is finding decent quality ingredients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLRL18LvVyo
>>
>>7480186
Nitsume sauce is eel broth, mirin, soy sauce, and sugar that's been reduced. Very similar to teriyaki.

"Sushi grade fish" is just a way to advertise that proper freezing methods were applied. Freezing is an important step in the sushi process. If you're looking for more info I would do some research in freezing of fish.

If you're looking to buy "sushi grade" fish then I would recommend IQF packaged fish from a reputable source. I buy from Catalina OP for home use, or I just order it through my job's vendor.
>>
>>7480194
I live in the Washington, DC area, good access to some fresh fish.

Any fish we serve raw comes frozen for quality and food safety reasons, even if it was caught close enough to give us access to very fresh fish.
>>
>>7480218
Spicy tuna isn't the shitty leftovers. When you cut tuna there are parts where there is little collagen (loin) and parts with more collagen (it's the white tissue between the muscles.) Collagen in raw fish can't be rendered out like when you cook it, the result is an undesired texture. We take those parts and scrape the muscle, separating it frome the collagen. The quality of the muscle is the same, but isn't in a neat shape. We mix that with chili oil and you get the delicious result of spicy tuna.
>>
>>7479976
How do you roll it up without the rice sticking in the bamboo?
>>
>>7480234
Learn to make sushi rice. The ingredients are rice, rice vinigar, sugar, and salt. It's actually pretty easy to learn, difficult to master. Don't worry too much about this step, anything you make will be better then 99% of the crap you see at grocery stores and those things still sell somehow.

You don't actually need fish if you're learning to make maki, which I recommend for beginners. I love making vegetarian rolls for a quick cheap snack while I'm working. Avacado and cucumber roll is my go to, but you can try all sorts of veggies. You can even use cooked veggies and meats like the Korean version of sushi called kimbap.

You don't technically need nori to make sushi, but it's definitely going to make maki rolls a lot easier (maki without nori is a pain for baginners.)

You can add ingredients as you see fit. I recommend toasted sesame seeds as an early purchase. Unagi sauce is easy to find and almost everyone loves it, so try that as your first sauce purchase. Neither of these are required for your first time though.
>>
>>7480450
We put a layer of plastic wrap on the bamboo rollers.
>>
>>7479976

OP what is your personal favorite dishes to make

Also how do you feel about the sushi made in supermarkets
>>
>>7479976
In your opinion how should sushi rice taste? I've bene to a number of place,s but they tend to vary from bland, to barely seasoned, but the best I've ever had was from a very small place owned by a korean apprenticed by a very good japanese place, and it was just the right mix of sweet, and sour. Is the very lightly seasoned taste you usually find more traditional, or would you say that it's more of a result of the difficulty of controlling the flavours in large production? Or should sushi rice, ideally made, have slightly stronger flavours, as I found myself enjoying?
>>
File: 20160226_221825.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160226_221825.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>7480671
Sushi in supermarkets are a joke of quality. If you look at the rice you can see how they break the grains of rice and they compact it so much that you lose the textural quality of a well made rice. When you're having minimum wage workers making huge batches of rice, the quality will always suffer. On top of that the rice is cold because they have to keep the package in the fridge. Not to mention that the food safety risk is one that i, personally, wouldn't take.

I love making dishes that aren't traditional sushi but use many of the same ingredients. Attached is a picture of an ahi tuna dish inspired from Hawaiian tuna poke that I love making. It's currently on our specials menu but I don't think we're going to keep it for long because it takes a long time to make on the line, about 7 minutes on average.
>>
>>7479976
I had sushi for the first time today. It was a roll with salmon and spicy crab in the middle, topped with some other kind of fish. It was okay. Any specific combinations you would recommend trying?

Why is avocado in almost every roll I look at?
>>
For probably 20 years now my approach to trying a new sushi restaurant was to start with a tekka maki, simply because it is cheap roll I'd assume they wouldn't put as much effort into if they didn't care, and it allows me to to test the tuna, the rice, and the cook's basic rolling skills.

Is there a better litmus test you'd recommend for getting a feel for the quality of a place you've never been before?
>>
>>7480400

Oh shit, DC anon here. Which sushi place do you work at?

Also sushi recommendations besides your own place?
>>
How long did you trained to be a sushi chef? If your teacher wasn't Japanese, sorry, but I'll have to disregard your opinion.
>>
>>7480015
You'll never be as good as Jiro, even if you lived to be 1000 years old
>>
>>7479976
What's your opinion on using tempura and spicy mayonnaise in sushi? I see it all the time in American sushi.

Does ordering the tamagoyaki make me seem like I'm a sushi connoisseur?

Why does octopus suck so much?

What's your favorite nigiri?
>>
>>7480698
Jesus, how does that take 7 minutes????
>>
>>7480674
I could go on for hours about sushi rice, but I'll try and keep it short. The bottom line is that there is no "bad" sushi rice, just different. Some chef's prefer it to have a slightly more vinegar taste while others more sweet, neither are "wrong" per se. Some use very little sushi vinegar and some use a lot, which not only affects the intensity of the taste, but also the texture. If you pay close attention, more intensely flavored rice is usually more "wet". As you add the vinegar the rice gets a sheen under direct light. More vinegar also makes it harder to work with because it's sticky. The texture is a little more of a starchy mouth feel. Very little vinegar results in a "dryer" sushi rice.

It takes lots of practice to learn how the rice will react to changes in the sushi vinegar. The fact that you season the vinegar before you even add it to the rice makes it hard to predict resulting flavor without practice. Combine that with all the different varieties of rice and individual chef's pallettes and you can see how difficult it can be. For example: I personally make my vinegar now with a tad more of a sweetness to it then I used to. I learned that I have a higher tolerance of that vinegar "bite" then most people, so I compensated for it. I have a small group of Chef friends that I trust to get opinions from and they generally agree that the sweet/vinegar flavor is well balanced. I tend to put a little more sushi vinegar then other places around here because I personally like a little bit of that silky starch texture. I also have access to a foot activated sink right next to me while working so I can rinse the starch off my hands more often. If I didnt, I would probably cut back on the sushi vinegar to prevent the starch buildup on my hands slowing me down.
>>
>>7480748
Jiro's son already beat him.
>>
>>7480716
Avacado is a popular ingredient and an easy way to get some fat into your sushi. Other fats include sesame oil and chili oil.

You should try everything! When I first got really into sushi I liked to order combination maki rolls alongside the individual ingredients as sashimi. I trained myself to taste the individual tastes and then together as a symphony of flavor. Maybe you should try simpler preparations so you can get a good taste.
>>
Are you Asian?
>>
>>7480728
That's a good one. When I go to other places I generally do it to try stuff that I've never tried. All the traditional stuff I've had a million times, I'm more interested in the Chef's creativity to get my own ideas and inspiration from.
>>
>>7479976
Why are sushi chefs reluctant to make me handrolls stuffed with fish eggs?
>>
>>7480768
Can we have your sushi rice recipe? My rolls came out pretty when I tried it the other day, but the rice was so bad that I threw half a roll out. It also came out mushy, so I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a rice maker instead of using a pot.

Also, do you have an imported brand of nori you'd recommend?
>>
>>7480998
Because the eggs are a garnish and not a staple, isn't that obvious enough?
>>
>>7481008
It would be like ordering your rolls stuffed with sesame seeds.
>>
>>7480746
I'm actually just outside DC. If you're looking for places in DC check out Kaz Sushi Bistro for some awesome maki, Sakedokoro Makoto for traditional (pricey), or Kotobuki for cheap and good.
>>
>>7480996

So do you just sit at the sushi counter (or whatever it's called) and ask the chef to give you whatever he thinks is best that day?
>>
>>7480747
I've had amazing sushi from non-Japanese chef's and bad sushi from Japanese chefs. Anyone with enough knowledge and practice can become great. The fact that you would judge a chef on his/her heritage (or worse, their mentor's heritage) and not his food makes you an idiot.
>>
>>7480748
You're probably right. The good news is that I don't give a fuck, I'm over here on the other side of the world doing my own thing.
>>
>>7479976
How did you become a sushi chef? Where did you train/go to school?
>>
Where do you go to purchase the fish? A monger at the fish market, or is it sometimes frozen from a specialty store?
>>
>>7480747
>If your teacher wasn't Japanese, sorry, but I'll have to disregard your opinion.

That's retarded. You think you're not a true sushi chef unless you spend 2 years licking your master's shoes and watching him wash rice from afar?

Pro-tip: most of the sushi you eat has been made by Koreans
>>
Okay so I'm trying to make sushi for me and my boyfriend.
The rice is probably the most important things.
>Is there any way to cook it without a rice cooker?

The next thing is the fish. I know costco sells tuna and salmon but the salmon there isnt flash frozen.
>Is it possible to freeze their salmon for a couple weeks before defrosting to make rolls or would this still be risky to eat?

>any good crab mix recipes?
>>
I hear often this meme of sushi requiring the freshest fish possible, but I'm quite sure all sushi fish in the states has been flash frozen, and I've also heard that fish will take on better flavor after a day or two of aging. Can you confirm or deny either of these claims?
>>
>>7479976
>Ask a sushi chef anything
Serious question here. How do you feel about ramen?
>>
>>7480751
Tempura is tasty because deep frying makes things tasty. That said, it has its place and I would love to see people more interested in different cooking techniques.

Spicy mayo is just an ingredient, albeit a popular one. I can easily build a menu without it, but why would I do that if it's what people want? When I order sushi, I look for interesting combinations, not the individual ingredients.
>>
>>7480758
It's the average time of preparation across all the people who make it. Overall it's just a pain in the ass to make. We also haven't had it long enough for the cooks to get a good efficient method of preparation so the average prep time varies much more then permanent menu items.
>>
>>7480993
I'm half Asian half white.
>>
>>7480998
No idea. I wouldn't have a problem making it for you.
>>
>>7481094
Sushi chef, sir, can you tell me a bit on making sushi rice? I'm well aware that it's the most important part of the sushi and so far I've failed in my attempts to make it.

I'm also curious about ideas for innovative things that you'd like to see incorporated more into sushi.

And finally, thoughts on uni? It's one of my favorites in nigiri, but I've also had it before where the taste doesn't seem quite right, and I'm wondering if that's more a matter of freshness or variety. Do you know the type of urchin that has to be used? I'm a diver, so I wouldn't mind grabbing some urchins if they're the right kind. They basically cover the ocean floor here.
>>
>>7481013
That's not an issue since they make sushi with eggs which is a piece of rice with eggs on top wrapped in seaweed. They just are stubborn about making it into handroll form.
>>
>>7479976
Odd question, but is there anything that pisses you off when people get sushi from you, or anything you wish people would stop doing?
>>
>>7481008
Sushi vinegar: 3 cups rice vinegar, 4 tbsp salt, 8.5 tsp sugar, kombu.

I use Koshihikari short grain rice. I would recommend a rice cooker if you aren't good at cooking rice on the stive. In the mean time: 1:1 water:rice ratio. Bring to boil and boil off enough water until you see small craters where the bubble are coming up. Turn heat to lowest possible. Cover pot with a lid and put some weight on top of it to give it a good seal. Exactly 10 minutes, no peeking.

The mushy rice could be a couple things. If you don't wash the rice enough there's too much starch. Also make sure to rub the grains of rice against each other. Lots of people just put water in and swish around and aren't taking much starch off the rice. You don't need to go HAM on it, you'll break the grains of rice, but you need enough to get the starchy layer off. You should be able to feel that the rice is "cleaner" as you wash it 3-4 times.

Another thing that causes mushy rice is the wrong water to rice ration. 1:1 is the standard

Too much sushi vinegar causes mushy rice. I use about 5 cups of sushi vinegar for 2 liters of dry rice.

The nori I use at work: amazon /Yaki-Roasted-Seaweed-100-Count-Units/dp/B001AYDEZI#nav-search-keywords
>>
>>7481019
If the guest wants it, whatever I'll make it.
>>
>>7481022
More like "I'm not looking for traditional, give me something you created."
>>
>>7481171

Do you tell them you're also a sushi chef, or do you often get met with, "okay, chef's special", which is just whatever they're trying to get rid of?
>>
File: 1397165692301.jpg (10 KB, 236x285) Image search: [Google]
1397165692301.jpg
10 KB, 236x285
>10/10 thread with a non-shit namefag
Great job, OP.
>>
>>7481039
I worked for about a decade doing fast food/pizza joint/deli type places. After entering my first full service restaurant job as garde manger line cook, my chef thought I would be good on the sushi station (it wasn't a sushi place, it was an LA inspired American place) because of my very methodical cooking style. I learned from two guys, both with over a decade experience. That's where I learned the basics.
>>
>>7481155
Thanks for your answer. I actually used to work as a cook at a sushi restaurant, and I'd wash and cook the rice, so it's very shameful to me that I'm unable to cook rice properly at home. I think that my timing has been off or something? I also have been using a lid that has a hole in it, and from your description, it seems that isn't right.

How does kombu factor into the rice seasoning, like do you leave it in there for a while? Do you heat the seasoning to dissolve the salt and sugar, or does it not matter?

Also, do you know if nori will keep for a bit once opened, or if there are good ways of storing it after opening? 100 sheets would take me a very long time to use up. Do you recommend toasting the nori, or is it fine straight out of the package?

And are there elements of Japanese cooking that you would like to see incorporated more into sushi, or not particularly? What about other cuisines? There is one restaurant near me that incorporates elements of Mexican cuisine in some of their maki, and they're really quite good.
>>
>>7481044
I work for a restaurant group which gave me a list of 7 suppliers that specialize in fish. I work with reps from each supplier to get what I need. On top of that I have 140ish other suppliers for other ingredients.
>>
>>7481051
Yes you can cook rice without a cooker, how do you think it was done before electricity? Look through this thread, I detailed my rice cooking to someone else, alongside my sushi vinegar recipe.

I wouldn't trust freezing it yourself unless you know what you're doing. Also, food safety isn't only what's living in your food, but also the waste product and such of what used to live in your food. If you can't get quality fish for sushi nearby, get it online. I've use Catalina OP in the past with success.
>>
>>7481171
Sometimes I'll go to a sushi joint alone for a light meal and maybe a beer. Somewhat often when I finish my roll the waiter will ask if I want another one, or something else, like I was planning on picemeal my meal.

Generally my answer is no, but is this a common way for people to order sushi in particular? If I'm out with friends we just order all of what we want at the same time rather than one thing each over the course of our meal.

I don't hate the format, but it kinda feels like ordering a sandwich then your waiter asking if you'd like another or a side of fries after you've eaten it. I do like the simplicity of one roll at a time tho.
>>
>>7481229
>Also, food safety isn't only what's living in your food, but also the waste product and such of what used to live in your food.

It's worth nothing also though that if you have toxins in your food (waste product), then it doesn't matter whether you cook it or not. You can kill bacteria, but you can't kill toxins.
>>
>>7479976
Learn to shape your wasabi pleb
That being said, your shape is good and your rice isn't pressed too hard, but I give your caterpillar a 5

How often do you cut yourself?
>>
>>7481053
"Fresh" doesn't mean not frozen. The entire point to freezing anything is to preserve freshness. My restaurant gets all fish in a frozen state for quality and food safety reasons.

Aging fish is definitely an important step to getting the best flavor. The length of time depends on the fish and other factors. It's definitely the aspect of sushi that takes the most skill and a solid pallette. I consider myself knowledgeable but unpracticed when it comes to aging fish. Some fish I'm better with then others because I've spent more time researching and experimenting.
>>
>>7481062
I fucking love ramen and don't know jack shit about it beyond the basics. I'm too busy between work and my other food related projects to learn to make great ramen at home, in the mean time I've been going to nearby places (Momofuku DC just opened recently!) or I'll use frozen noodle and drop in it one of my homemade stocks.
>>
>>7481104
I answered someone else's question about rice in this thread with details.

I would love to see more chef's using different techniques, non traditional ones, and ingredients. Traditional sushi is great and will always have a place, but the more creative stuff is few and far between. That said, I suspect it's because of the location I'm living in that I don't see more creativity in general, not just with sushi.
>>
>>7481121
Not really. Life is too short to be butthurt by a guest.
>>
>>7481182
Specials aren't always disposing old product. Sometimes it's a new item they're trying out or a fish that's in season so the food cost is low and profit margin is higher then usual. I don't usually tell them I'm also a sushi chef, but many of them know me already.
>>
>>7481244
Not OP, but yes, that's how sushi is typically eaten, especially with maki. I'd suspect that the reason is mostly because of freshness. As soon as maki are made, the nori begins to go soggy, which makes it tough and chewy instead of light and crispy.
>>
>>7481284
>I would love to see more chef's using different techniques, non traditional ones, and ingredients. Traditional sushi is great and will always have a place, but the more creative stuff is few and far between. That said, I suspect it's because of the location I'm living in that I don't see more creativity in general, not just with sushi.

I agree, but I'm curious by what you mean by this. I would like to open a sushi restaurant someday, and I am interested in making it rather non-traditional. I think that maki with a SE Asian twist could be very tasty.
>>
>>7481288
You're a great chef.
>>
>>7479976

sushi is the cancer of the culinary world
>>
>>7481454
That's a really stupid and unsubstantiated opinion. Can you even attempt to justify it?
>>
>>7481467

Because sushi restaurants spring up all over the place. It's popularity creates an unsustainable demand for resources already under enormous pressure from a multitude of other industries. Not to mention transporting it to places nowhere near the ocean.

So you take what should be respected as a luxury item and reduce the quality in order to provide it to a wider area and more people. Furthermore most places destroy the subtlety of the food with retarded shit like sriracha mayo.

The high regard it's held in is also somewhat of a joke. So you can cut a piece of fish, good fucking job. It gets so much hype.

A lot of the that hype comes from Michelin (when the tire company ran the food critics) making a deal for japanese distribution and promptly giving out stars to dozens of sushi places.

Fuck sushi, and fuck people who can't just eat what grows around them naturally.
>>
>>7481467

Work in a real kitchen and maybe you'll understand that most respectable cooks think sushi is a joke
>>
>>7481480
You seem to have a problem with global food culture in general. It's worth noting that animal agriculture is a much larger contributor to environmental degradation than consumption of fish. I also don't see why you're upset that it's being "destroyed" with shit like sriracha mayo, because that's being ordered in conjunction with more things like deep-fried shrimp.

I'm sorry you don't appreciate the taste of sushi, anon.
>>
>>7481495
Why would I give a fuck what "respectable cooks" think? The cooks I respect appreciate that people are going to like what they like, and they're quite alright with people eating foods that they enjoy. It seems that you just don't think making sushi is "cool."
>>
>>7481495

>most respectable cooks think sushi is a joke

There are plenty of professional cooks on /ck/, and you obviously are just pulling shit out of your ass.
>>
>>7481499

Yes animal agriculture is terrible, we should be less obsessed with meat. I like sushi, but the common sushi place is bad. There are dozens where I'm from and it's a 4.5 hour drive to the ocean. My town is obsessed with seafood and sushi.

It's a luxurious food, not an ostentatious one. But most people only eat with their eyes. That's my problem with sushi places.
>>
>>7481506

ehhhhhh are there though
>>
>>7481480

Frozen fish doesn't care where it's thawed. I don't like worms eating their way through my gut, no matter how high quality they are.
>>
File: 1451025627015.png (109 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1451025627015.png
109 KB, 500x500
>>7479976
Why is sushi always so fucken expensive?
>>
Opinion on mango with sushi? I tried it the other day and was not disappointed at all.
>>
>>7481519

There's at least a good handful.

You can find them in industry threads, and also usually in al/ck/ threads.
>>
>>7481528
Its not sushi
>>
>>7481509
So it's a matter of image?
>>
>>7480748
neither will you
>>
>>7481543

The quality of sushi comes directly from the ingredients and yet it becomes about dressing up the dishes and trying to be clever. All fine and good but that's not the kind of cooking I'm in love with. It feels ultimately hollow. If we cared more about ingredients maybe the agricultural industry wouldn't be fucked up. But people are easily led by superficial things.
>>
>>7480748

Jiro is a hack, it's like you didn't even watch it
>>
>>7479976
OP, could you possibly recommend any sushi roll fillings that don't include raw fish? Iv'e already tried shrimp tempura and crab, but I live in a part of Australia where I don't have easy access to sushi grade raw fish. What else can I stuff in them that isn't just veggies/fruits?
>>
>>7481538
Sushi is defined by its vinegared rice, so go fuck yourself.
>>
>>7479976
For those who are wondering about eating sushi at a restaurant or a buffet, only order Nigiri. Don't order the rolls, especially the fried ones. They are scraps of the shit leftover the day before and they don't reflect the authenticity of sushi like nigiri does
>>
>>7481578

Unagi,
>>
>>7481582
That's total bullshit, but good try
>>
If you go to a sushi restaurant and the sushi rice is substandard and poorly prepared, can i return it and leave without a scene? I only ask because i went to a place yesterday that charged $9 for a tempura roll and the rice was terrible so i want to go back and call out the chefs on their bullshit.
>>
>>7479976

Have you ever jerked off into the sushi?
>>
>>7481588
Why waste your money for fried shit with shitty sauce on it when you can get a real taste of sushi by trying nigiri? Retarded imo
>>
>>7481582
All the places neatby dont have interesting nigiri choices. Its salmon, yellowtail, eel, squid... the standard.

Nothing compares to when i went to sushi dojo nyc
>>
>>7481527
Its the US. If its foreign food from anywhere but mexico, its expensive.
>>
>>7481601
Oh really? Tell me about your experience at sushi dojo. Haven't tried sushi anywhere except where I live, so I'm genuinely curious about what its like.
>>
>>7481599
It's like people have different tastes and different moods.

>m-muh authentic bushido Japanese nigiri
>>
>>7481613
I guess I didn't make it clear in the first post that Its my own opinion. If you want to eat rolls seared with grease and fat on top of mayonnaise and teriyaki sauce, then by all means go for it. I'm just saying that you might as well eat something authentic if you want to try sushi
>>
>>7481606
Its expensive but i had tender octopus which was awesome.

Then i just ordered the chef favorites course, which he just kept making one nigiri after another just for our group. We had like 16 and told him we had enough and laughed with him. It was a great experience and the bottle of saki was amazing.
>>
>>7481622
Authenticity is a bit of a fallacy, let's be honest. Before the Edo period, sushi was made from fermented fish. You also said that rolls are made from leftover scrap, which is patently untrue.

To say that there are deep fried rolls with mayo and teriyaki and there are nigiri with rice and fish is a total false dichotomy too. There are plenty of maki that are much more simple. I like nigiri, and I like maki too, and I'd actually recommend to anyone who hasn't had sushi before that they try both.
>>
>>7481639
sake*
>>
>>7481651
Yea im drunk its st. Paddys day
>>
>>7481655
I'm jealous. I'm sitting at home more sober than usual.
>>
>>7481658
>sober
why my friend. why
>>
I remember going to Japan and trying the sushi there. If I remember correctly, my favorite was either sweet shrimp or sea urchin. I wish I could find sushi restaurants that sell it here, but I doubt they do since it's expensive.
>>
>>7481664
I was supposed to be going home to be with family tonight for the holiday. Instead I'm alone in my dorm and a bit depressed. And I've only got enough beer to get a buzz on at best.
>>
>>7480747
you stereotypical sonuvabitch. Lol! Grow up
>>
>>7481688
go pick up more?
no one deserves to be sober tonight of all nights
>>
>>7481688
Ouch. Is this in college? Do most people usually stay in college during long holidays ie. Right now, Winter Vacation, etc.
>>
>>7481639
The best part was the chef teaching the girl we were with to eat like they do in japan. It took 5 minutes to get her to eat nigiri with her hands. This was all because she asked for wasabi for her soysauce hahaha
>>
>>7481509

>There are dozens where I'm from and it's a 4.5 hour drive to the ocean.

Compared to Japan's ability to endanger species of seafood around the world I'm sure your town is small potatoes.
>>
>>7481696
Depends how far "home" is. Spring break just started, and I'm going home, though a lot of people here are not.

>>7481693
I was going to get drunk with family and friends. Taking a 40 minute trip to the store and back to get drunk alone is more depressing than being sober and pretending it isn't St. Patty's.
>>
>>7481693
Ive been sober 12 days, cant drink until day 31
>>
>>7481714
>40 minute trip to get some booze
how

>>7481740
if youve got a reason, stick to it.
good work my friend.
>>
>>7481270

>Momofuku DC

Muh nigga. Though I still prefer Daikaya. You try Toki Underground? Everyone raves about that place.
>>
>>7479976
How does it feel to have become professional in a form of cooking that Chef Ramsay had trouble with?
>>
Alright I'm back, was out to dinner. I'm gonna try and get to as many questions as possible tonight, I'll be up for another few hours at least.

>>7481208
The kombu was hands down better in all our taste tests than without. We make 1 gallon batches of vinegar and leave the kombu in the cambro. It's a small enough amount of seasoning that you don't need to heat it.

Nori: straight out of the package, no toasting needed. Honestly, I don't have the time to do it myself and we don't have the labor budget to pay someone else to. We store them in stainless steel boxes that have a separate compartment on the bottom that hold a dessicant. You can probably get away with putting it in a Tupperware with a few silica gel packets (like the one that will come in that package I linked).

I love non traditional ingredients. The first post I made is a hamachi roll with cilantro and Serrano peppers. I'm always looking for new ideas and love when I find new fusions.
>>
How do you like your steaks OP
>>
>>7481244
Are you fat? Maybe those servers should go read Setting The Table. I don't know honestly, maybe tact is a lost art. "How did you like your XX?" is usually a great way to see if they need anything.
>>
>>7481046
>Pro-tip: most of the sushi you eat has been made by Koreans

That's why it's bad, isn't it?
>>
>>7481804

Ramsay has trouble with anything that isn't classical French or British crap.
>>
>>7481753
>how
I ain't got a vehicle, and I live on campus. It's hella lame.
>>
OP, aren't you a Mexican who learned to make sushi after 5 minutes? I bet you don't even add vinegar to your rice.
>>
Hey OP I was a knifebro for many years get out while you still can it's way too little money for way too difficult of a skill. Especially when some waitress makes more than you at the end of the month while you literally work your fingers to the bone
>>
>>7481848
>no vinegar on sushi rice

there are no such things as vinegarless sushi rice
>>
>>7481246
True. I'm always hesitant about offering food safety advice over the Internet to beginners. Really, the best thing anyone should do if they plan to prepare risky foods is to go out and learn.
>>
OP, are you very familiar with North Carolina sushi? How do you feel about Cowfish?

"The Nature Boy's WOOOOO–shi BuffalOOOOO–shi Roll
Brought to The Cowfish by The Man himself, Ric Flair’s creation includes sautéed chipotle bison, fried green tomato, grilled onions and feta cheese rolled inside, then coated with crispy tempura flakes. The roll is topped with fresh green tomato, chipotle aioli, diced tomato and red onion, and thinly sliced jalapeño pepper. This roll will surely inspire an uncontrollable “Wooooo”! Tweet it up at @thecowfishSBB."
>>
>>7481861
You'll be surprised at what people overseas sell as "sushi". People think sushi is just the raw fish on top and not the vinegared rice.
>>
>>7481251
I was wondering when someone was going to come along and call me out on the shit overripe avacado. I don't really try too hard when I make myself a quick snack.

I cut myself all the time, but never with my knives. I got a wicked one on my left pinky from a plastic cambro lid last week wtf
>>
OP, I do like that you put some cilantro on that roll. I think it's an herb that should be used more often in sushi in general.
>>
>>7479987
>why not boil the steak?
>>
>>7481415
That sounds tasty.
>>
>>7481527
You can say that about any food from a restaurant. Learn to make it and you won't have to pay someone else to do it.
>>
>>7481949
OP, I don't suppose you'd be down to take some of my contact info and be sushi friends? I've made a bunch of posts in here, and I'd love to talk with you in a little more depth about it.
>>
>>7481528
Mango is delicious. I don't care if it's not traditional, if it's delicious, it's delicious.
>>
>>7481578
Unagi is the first thing that comes to mind. Also lots of nontraditional ingredients. That's the fun of sushi, you can try all sorts of stuff and get tasty results! Or it'll taste like shit and you'll never try it again.
>>
>>7481582
>They are scraps of the shit leftover the day before and they don't reflect the authenticity of sushi like nigiri does
>scraps
>authenticity

Oh you're one of those guys
>>
Are natto rolls any good?
>>
>>7481589
Do it. Report back. Video or it didn't happen
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 309x163) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 309x163
>>7481593
Yes, but it wasn't for a guest, it was for me.
>>
What kind of wasabi do you use? Big tubs of powdered stuff?

Also, what's the deal with miso soup? Do you just make a big vat of it, leave it going in a steam table all day, and then just add the tofu and whatever to the bowl, give the vat a stir, and ladle it in?
>>
>>7481674
Both are definitely available here.
>>
>>7480747
I couldn't hear you over the sound of you anally pleasuring yourself with your katana handle.

You will never have an anime gf and will die alone.
>>
Is an abomination worse than Philadelphia rolls?
>>
>>7481764
No I haven't, but it's now on my list since you're the second person that's asked me that. Daikaya is great, they know how to grill a mackerel perfectly.
>>
>>7481804
I suck at classic French so I guess the same way he feels about me.
>>
>>7481828
Depends on the cut
>>
>>7482065

You come off sounding really naive if you think the philly role the "the worst abomination" in the sushi world.

There's nothing wrong with the philly role, and you obviously don't even have enough experience to make judgments about "muh authenticity".
>>
>>7482065
No.
>>
>>7481270
>Momofuku

No wonder you don't like authentic Japanese food.
>>
>>7479987
This
Sushi is a fucking meme food
Just like rare steak
>>
>>7482096 (You)
>>
>>7481858
I tried to but I still come back. I just love it too much and have accepted my shitty fate. I figure I might as well do my best and maybe one day get a nice cushy unionized hotel job
>>
>>7481887
Hmm... if I lived anywhere nearby I would check it out just because why not
>>
>>7481906
It's delicious for sure.
>>
File: CaqdogHUEAAiPvo.jpg (44 KB, 560x641) Image search: [Google]
CaqdogHUEAAiPvo.jpg
44 KB, 560x641
>>7481991
Go for it. I love talking and sharing food knowledge.
>>
>>7482024
It's delicious and an acquired taste. Then again, you can say that about any fermented food
>>
>>7482050
Powdered. It's not the right product for the guests we get.

We make dashi before dinner and make the soup to order. It's not complex so the 1 minute to prepare it isn't a big deal.
>>
>>7479976
Are you voting for trump?
>>
>>7482065
I don't like em that much. We keep the ingredients on hand but don't offer it on the menu.
>>
>>7482094
I'm half korean, what do you want from me? I like what I like, sue me
>>
>>7482164
Probably not
>>
>>7482174
>Probably

Come on let's turn that probably not into a most likely yes. Trump will make sushi great again
>>
>>7482178
You've convinced me Internet stranger
>>
>>7482178

>guy who orders $100 steaks cooked until they resemble a hockey puck
>make sushi great again

The guy has probably never stepped food in a sushi restaurant, and that alone is reason enough for me not to vote for him.
>>
>>7482220
Just another example on why Trump is the best candidate. Does shit even though people say it's wrong but does it anyways and enjoys it.
>>
>>7482235

Having unabashedly shit taste is not commendable.
>>
>>7482160
>>7482050
Going to expand on this answer a bit.

Miso soup is made with dashi and miso. Miso is fermented soy paste, and dashi is just "broth." It can be made using different ingredients, but katsuobushi (bonito flake) with kombu (kelp) is typical, especially for this application. Shiitakes can also be used for dashi, though I wouldn't for miso soup. I use hondashi, which is an instant version of katsuobushi, without any kombu. On it's own, it's moderately fishy and smokey as well. Into this goes miso, which comes in red, white, or brown. Restaurants will most typically use red. I like white as well, which is a bit sweeter and more subtle.

For making it at home, feel free to mess with the amounts a bit, but for 2 servings, use about 2 cups of water, 1 tsp of hondashi, and two tablespoons of miso. The soup should be boiled around when you add the hondashi or a little after. Remove it from heat as soon as it boils, and then add the miso paste, as boiling it will ruin its flavor and kill the healthy bacteria. You can mix the miso directly into it, but a lot of people prefer to mix it with a bit of water and then add that, since it will stir in easier.

Other ingredients can go into this, which should usually be added to the soup right before serving. Restaurants in the states usually add tofu and green onion, but you can use many different ingredients. I like it with rice on the side and a plate of kimchi.
>>
>>7482160
By the way, which is the proper wasabi? I figured paste would be nicer than powder.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
How did I do?
>>
>>7481898
I've never had sushi without vinegar until I got to college. They serve sushi in the cafeteria sometimes, and it's never got any vinegar. Usually just veggies or California rolls, so not very exciting, but they'd still be tasty if they'd just put some seasoning in the rice.
>>
>>7482293
What's in those cones?
>>
>>7482293
should have used cream cheese instead of mayo.
>>
Do you feel a bit of cognitive dissonance when it comes to making Americanized sushi?

I live in Japan and I miss American sushi like crazy, I much prefer its overpriced "fake" quality than authentic, Japanese sushi that I can pop in, order from an 80 year old man and leave after a few minutes (I think the whole Jiro thing is incredibly over-rated and unagi in summer is really the only thing I'll pay serious money for).

But yeah, sometimes it's like saying you're an Italian chef when really you just make fancy Mac & Cheese, isn't it?
>>
>>7482305
tuna cucumber and green onion salad with sriracha mayo. Also have that in the rolls with the orange on them.

Used 4:5 rice/water in a rice cooker for the rice.

This was my first time making sushi btw but I have knife skills and general finesse from working in kitchens.
>>
>>7482306
Ugh you again? I hate cream cheese in my sushi unless it is eel sushi.
>>
>>7482160

I'm curious about the exact process sushi restaurants use to prepare the miso soup, and banal as it might seem.

You have dashi ready to go, so what exactly is the restaurant technique to add the miso paste and other ingredients to get a table's worth of bowls out in a couple of minutes?
>>
>>7482328
cream cheese works better on sushi than gloopy mayo. totally wrong texture for sushi.
>>
>>7482356
Except mayo is a part of jap cuisine and it actually has a place in sushi.
>>
>>7482359
Did you use American mayonnaise?
It's completely different than the kind they use in Japan.
>>
>>7481270
>Momofuku
shit man I'm all about ramen right now and Momofuku (the book) is sitting right next to me. I'm an aspiring pastry chef, so I'm looking at the desserts but I'm huge on Japanese food and just kitchen life. Do you read Lucky Peach by chance?
>>
>>7482359

Japan is far worse when it comes to bastardizing American/European dishes compared to America doing "inauthentic" shit like putting cream cheese and salmon in sushi.

It's a flavor profile that people enjoy. If you don't like it, that's fine, but don't pretend it's bad just because "it's not part of jap cuisine".
>>
>>7482364

Kewpie is sold at Walmart. It's not exactly a big secret like you seem to think it is.
>>
>>7482364
I used whatever spicy mayo from the international store. The bottle has Japanese all over it. I didn't let the rice cool enough I think before I rolled it and my knife isn't the sharpest so it smeared the mayo a bit. Might have used a little much as well
>>
>>7482367

Not OP, but I actually cooked my way through the Milk Bar cookbook right after it came out, and I'm not usually into desserts.

I got Lucky Peach for a few years but cancelled it when Chang ran out of ideas and just handed it over to his friends to do whatever.

Is it worth getting back into? Last I heard my first issue ramen themed one is actually worth money already.
>>
>>7482369
True but there isn't hundreds of years of tradition behind McDonald's. Call it pretentious but I feel weird if I don't stick to tradition, seems disrespectful to me, but I'm OCD about shit sometimes so whatever.

It is a challenge, a test to make it like people have been for so long.
>>
>>7482374

Watch this guy's videos for basic techniques.

>>7480307
>>
I don't even think mayo on sushi is a Jap thing either.
>>
>>7482388

Nobody said anything about McDonald's.

It's more about shit like ketchup based pasta, or whatever "Western" abominations they eat in Japan. The point was that it goes both ways, but if something appeals to you why not enjoy it?
>>
>>7482065
Its a fucking japanese bagel, get over it fag.
>>
>>7482332
Did you see the post I made above about it?

It was more geared towards making it at home. Where I worked, the whole process was basically the same. It was one large pot, and I'd make it once or twice a day. Instead of a little spoonful of miso, I'd use a large whisk full of it, and I'd pour in a few seconds worth of instant dashi. After this it would just sit in a soup heater kind of like pic related. The sushi chef probably does not of this. When it is ordered, the green onion and tofu are added. I didn't do that, so I'm not sure if there's some special process.
>>
>>7482359
This

Too much mayo and its gross. But the best makizushi i ever had was tempura shrimp with cucumber, lettuce, a little mayo and flying fish roe. Rice on the outside with sesame seeds and instead of soy sauce, eel sauce for dip.
>>
>>7482414
That's because Japanese mayo tastes like eggs so it naturally compliments sushi.
>>
File: 1439928741913.jpg (104 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
1439928741913.jpg
104 KB, 400x320
>>7482416
>it naturally compliments sushi
>>
>>7482408

Are you OP?

If so you changed your name and it threw me off.

I make a mug of miso soup almost every morning in lieu of tea or coffee, and also because I like what it does for my stomach.

I do pretty much exactly what you described in your longer post, using hondashi, and also prefer red miso.

I was really just wondering how they get a table's worth of soup out almost as soon as you sit down, when it seems like leaving it to sit pre-made would be almost as bad as adding the miso to the boiling water.
>>
>>7482276
Looks tasty
>>
>>7482318
What if that same Italian chef has a solid understanding of Italian cuisine but he chooses to put the fancy Mac and cheese on the menu? Does that discredit his skill?

I make what I think is delicious food to people who are willing to buy it. If my version isn't "authentic" to you then don't eat it. There's plenty of places like that around the corner who I'm not even trying to compete against. If you're gonna sit and complain about the holy sanctity that is authentic sushi, please do so while I'm out depositing money in the bank.
>>
>>7482332
You have the stock at high temperature waiting for service. You have every other ingredient prepped in your mise. Ticket comes in for 4 miso. Take 4 bowls, add each ingredient to each bowl. Ladle out the stock into each bowl. Put bowls in the window. Shouldn't take more then a few minutes.

I think you're trying to wrap your head around line cooking in general. Every that can possibly be prepared before service is done and put into your mise. Line cooking is basically just assembling together the ingredients and cooking what needs to be cooked. Stock can be prepared early, the rest of the ingredients aren't cooked, just added to the stock.
>>
>>7482470
Would salmon work in the salad as described in
>>7482293

Possible improvements? My gf loves sushi so I made
>>7482374
For her
>>
>>7482367
Christina Tosi's deserts are pretty damn good. I don't read Lucky Peach but I've flipped through a few.
>>
>>7482479

>i think you're trying to wrap your head around line cooking in general

I work on the line almost every night, I've just never worked at any Japanese/Asian places.

I also take every opportunity to ask people with more experience than me how they'd do things, however basic they might seem to them, after having done them a thousand times.

Yeah, I annoy people by asking constant questions and looking over their shoulders, but I also learn shit like it's nobody's business, and learning the entire line is huge.

You still never said how the miso gets added to the hot dashi stock, which was really my only question. I'm honestly interested in the exact procedure, mise all set and whatever. Do you portion out the miso before hand, for example, or just spoon a glob into each bowl and give it a quick whisk?
>>
>>7482482
You should try the salmon and tell me! The fun part of sushi making is trying stuff out. I don't think it'll particularly suck. I would cut a bit back on the mayo though since the salmon texture is a bit more fatty then tuna.

As far as possible improvements, I would put more rice and less of the salad. Sushi is all about good rice complimented by tasty flavors. Your rolls look heavy on filler so it's possible it's drowning out the rice, but I would have to taste it.

As far as variayions, how about adding avacado and drizzling the mayo on top instead of mixing it in? Try sesame seeds, they go with damn near anything. Maybe swap the mayo out for another sauce like a unagi/yuzu mix (unagi is easy to find, citrus juice if you can't find yuzu, try a 4:5 unagi to yuzu ratio.)

Rice should be body temp. You don't need a super sharp knife to cut maki, it's mostly technique.
>>
>>7482373
At Walmart? I know it's at every Asian market, but I'm surprised by that. Do you live in an area with a lot of Asian population? I always make it because it's so damn expensive.
>>
>>7482503
Ah, see you didn't mention that you work the line already. I was answering as though you were a pleb.

Mise: dashi stock w/ 2 oz. ladle, miso and absinthe spoon, silkened tofu in 1/2" cubes, green onion cut just a bit wider then they are long, Bonito flakes in a shaker.

Add tofu and green onions to bowl. Ladle stock through absinthe spoon topped with miso. Call for hands. Stir soup very briefly with absinthe spoon. Garnish with Bonito flakes. Sell it.
>>
Is omakase worth it? I have a friend who claims it's just a rip-off, but I usually order omakase stuff
>>
>>7482609
If it's your thing, then who cares how much it is. Many people enjoy the experience of letting someone else decide what they eat. It's similar to having your parent cook for you, it might suck, it might not. It's the having someone take care of you that appeals to you.
>>
>chipotle mayo on everything
over powering
>sushirrito
barbaric and not porportioned
>mixing wasabi and soy into paste
wtf

y chef?
>>
>>7481412
>>7481836
O-oh. Okay.

Nah, I'm not a chub. I just found it curious that in certain sushi joints I've been offered more food after I've 'eaten' as if I was nibbling on a roll as an appetizer and was expected/ing to order more.

It seems to be a format I'm not so accustomed to (if it even is one). Like the food version of ordering drinks from the bar.

Just wondering if in sushi restaurants if it's normal to order dishes slowly and in succession?
>>
How'd you get the job?
>>
GOOD THREAD TYVM
>>
>>7479976
what wegmans do you work for?
>>
>>7482633
Ordering multiple rolls at once would be very peculiar, yes.
>>
File: 1452602223131.jpg (19 KB, 385x383) Image search: [Google]
1452602223131.jpg
19 KB, 385x383
>sushi "chef"
>uses picture of American mcsushi
>>
So is it common to trick customers by giving them different kinds of fish than they ordered or by hiding what you're actually serving with a name like "rock lobster" or whatever?
>>
>>7479976
>sushi
you mean you make rolls
unless your make nigiri you aint making sushi
>>
>>7481563
That's fair enough. In regard to your point on meat, there is a way to continue meat consumption without a large environmental risk, but that ultimately comes down to how farmers manage their livestock. There are specific ways for farmers to herd their cattle to promote healthier soil, grass growth and ultimately, better vegetables. People have seen this work in my country, which (weirdly, our tourism board doesn't advertise this) has some of the most arid deserts in the world. Grass growth, crop production and a vast increase in soil fertility in the middle of the Kimberley Desert. Google that so that you can see what I mean. Being less fixated on meat is not the answer to these issues, as that is just gonna put livestock farmers out of work. The methodologies of how those herds are managed are simply out of date.

I can send you a cool youtube link about the land management theory if you are interested.
>>
>>7484780
Literally the only common denominator of all types of sushi is vinegared rice.

It has nothing to do with whether there is fish, or if it's bundled neatly or plopped on top.
>>
>>7480748
Is there a more overhyped chef in the world?
>>
>>7482096
>>7479987

I see we must be on Flyover timezone.

How's the weather over there in Nebraska?
>>
>>7480758

>the size of a dish is proportional to how long it takes to make

Come on senpai let's jumpstart that brain of yours
>>
>>7479976
Are tempura rolls entry level tourist trash? I mean, I love them and won't stop eating them, I just want to know if it's laughed at to do so.
>>
>>7479976
Filipino or Hispanic?
>>
File: 301764213_0fde096d1f.jpg (112 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
301764213_0fde096d1f.jpg
112 KB, 500x333
>>7482433
Are you saying you never seen shit like this before?
>>
>>7485271
No, he's Korean which is why he doesn't care about authentic sushi.
>>
>>7484780
you're retarded. very retarded. considering that sushi refers to the seasoned rice
>>
>>7481206
sounds more like the chef thought the asian looking boy would be good handling the rice
>>
>>7481021
>>7480746
Maryland or Virginia?

I understand your trepidations about putting your place of business on 4chan, but if any board is tame enough to handle it it's /ck/. I want some sushi make by a legit 4chan sensei pls ;_;
>>
>>7484788
>I can send you a cool youtube link about the land management theory if you are interested.
Not they guy you are replying to, but I'd be interested, if you still here.
But, I gotta add:
>Being less fixated on meat is not the answer to these issues,
Is true, however, there is the unsolved issue about the methane emmited from cattle, and the huge amounts of water (both, by the animal drinking and by irrigating the feedstock) that is used for producing meat.

Now, I am not suggesting to "go vegan!!!!!!", but reducing your meat input is a good idea.
>>
>>7484788
Would also like to see cool youtube link.
>>
>>7485611
>>7485945
Sorry I got to this late. Working.
>https://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_green_the_world_s_deserts_and_reverse_climate_change?language=en
I know it's a TED talk but watch it with an open mind before you roll your eyes.
Here is another video, more lighthearted with encapsulates the practice quite well, as well as the detractors.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=durydz6Fh9M&index=9&list=PL1wqlUC7ptZFq38LjC45N4bk6V7_yFY6J
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-IFH_oo4HY
>>
>>7485127
What the hell is a Nebraska
>>
>>7488053
Corn
>>
Do you work with sashimi as well or just sushi? What's your experience? Do you prefer using a yanagi or a chef knife for cutting maki? When did you decide to dump the yanagi?
>>
>>7488053
It's like a Wisconsin with less self-delusional people.
>>
File: 1315257380376.png (74 KB, 357x319) Image search: [Google]
1315257380376.png
74 KB, 357x319
>>7479976
Why do you think avocado tastes good on sushi or ANYTHING for that matter? You could leave it off and the roll would taste better.
>>
>>7488957
Avacado is good at covering up when the rice is prepared incorrectly or the fish isn't very good
>>
>>7488957
Picky eater texture baby faggot detected.
>>
>>7479976
Why the fuck do you have cillantro on your roll? And are you Japanese.
>>
>>7488957
try it with your nuggies next time

ease on into it
>>
File: 1457464342917.jpg (627 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
1457464342917.jpg
627 KB, 1536x2048
>>7488957
Why do literal babies like you try to justify your stunted tastes by throwing garbage posts onto /ck/? I know why, it's because you're looking for validation, you want other infants to scream in agreement with you so you can comfortably settle into narrow minded mediocrity. Well good news, you can do that without any validation, hell, you're already there!
>>
>>7488957
>I don't like "food"
>Other people's opinions must be wrong

Your meme is another factor in making it look like you're 16
>>
>>7479976
I always wondered, but why do you people 'always' use such over sized plates for such small amount of food? Sure it looks nice but using smaller plates won't make it uglier.
>>
>>7492751

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I do work in a restaurant. We have large plates due to flexibility. A small plate is only useful for plating a small dish. A large plate, however, can be used to plate either small or large. Thus they are far more useful to have on hand. We don't have the budget to buy, nor do we have the space to store, a whole bunch of different plates in all possible sizes.
>>
>>7492763
Oh.. I see.
Another thing.. why are certain dishes always served on the exact same shaped plate? I noticed that many restaurants use the same or almost the same shaped plates to serve the same dish. Is there some rule that X dish has to be served on this square shaped plate, Y dish has to be served on that other oval shaped plate, and Z on a 'regular' circle shaped plate? I worked once as a helper and asked but they only said that it has to be that way, but why that they never said.
>>
>>7480698
Gaijin/10
>>
>>7492787
Again, I'm not OP, but:

>> Is there some rule that X dish has to be served on this square shaped plate....
Actually, yes. In traditional Japanese cooking there are all sorts of rules as to how things are served. Typically if you have a round shaped food that is served on a square plate, whereas square or rectangular foods are served on round plates. If you serve a whole fish (freshwater) then it must point to the left, etc, etc. Though that sort of tradition isn't followed that much anymore even in Japan, let alone elsewhere.

The most likely reason is simple consistency. Consistency is vital to any restaurant. The idea is to make each serving of the same dish exactly the same every time. That applies to not only the recipe but also the plating. Even though there are many different cooks at a restaurant they are all trained to make the same dish the exact same way. The idea is that if a customer likes a certain dish and comes back for it then it will be exactly the same as he/she had last time. That extends to the plating as well.

About the only time you see deviation from that is if all of the "correct" plates are dirty and thus the kitchen has to improvise, or for things that might vary, like a la carte orders of sushi. In that case the sushi chef chooses a plate that he thinks will work for what you ordered.
>>
File: futomaki.jpg (193 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
futomaki.jpg
193 KB, 1280x720
Do these look okay for a first try?
>>
>>7493372
too much rice imo
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.