[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chef here (well, in Cullinary) I have to cook a rabbit tomorrow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (629 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
629 KB, 2048x1536
Chef here (well, in Cullinary)
I have to cook a rabbit tomorrow to impress the head chef. I already butchered it, but I've never really cooked with it except for a simple stew. Any tips or techniques?
>>
File: image.jpg (842 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
842 KB, 2048x1536
Mostly final butchery
>>
No one knows?
>>
Half this board is about liquor and tea. When an actual cook asks a question, it gets ignored. No wonder this thread is going downhill....
>>
>>7478346
hasenpfeffer is good. also you gotta give the thread time. its a low traffic board
>>
>>7478346
Most of the rabbit preps I've experienced have been stew variants (gumbo), or lightly fried preps of the tenderest morsels.

Neither of which depend overmuch on the actual flavor of the meat to get by.
>>
>>7478408
thanks, I'm new to this one
>>
>>7478419
I'm thinking of using the reserved fat to make a bit of sausage, then mixing it with a bit of herb butter so it melts with the sautée, then maybe a sautéed spinach and carrot salad (basalmic based) with a bit of shaved cabbage. Thoughts?
>>
>>7478434
*stuffing said rabbit with sausage and butter
>>
>>7478346
Are you going to be around for a bit? I can give you some pretty good ideas and the rundown on those ideas, but I'm at work right now. Too busy in the kitchen to type it all out on a cell phone.
>>
>>7478444
It's pretty late, but I should be off and on for about 2-3 hours. I would appreciate any advice you can give!
>>
>>7478434
Rabbit is not known for its fat, actually; its one of the leanest meats. I think a rabbit sausage is not a great idea.
>>
>>7478449
I am straying to make the most out of the entire animal, I am probably going to incorporate into the lamb sausage batch I am making
>>
>>7478434
I dig the sausage prep. Pairing with a basalmic side dish makes sense too, since it should cut the fat a little.

Not sure about sautéed spinach and carrots specifically, but that's probably just a personal aversion.
>>
>>7478346

poach the breast in a fancy fat (duck) with marjoram and lemon. fry some hazelnuts, crush them and use them as a crust. finish by pan frying one side of the breast with a weight on top. serve with fiddleheads and yam mash

rabbits are from the wilderness. remind the head chef of the wilderness
>>
>>7478455
What would you recommend for a side then? Like I said in the OP, I've never really cooked with rabbit....
>>
>>7478449
It would work fine for sausage but you would need to add some sort of fat or combine with a fatty cut of meat like beef chuck or pork shoulder.
>>
>>7478346
Nah you should have asked earlier.

>>7478442
Was thinking something like that, or a vicious searing with some infused butter but it will overtake the rabbit, and they will judge him telling him that it tastes like whatever herb he used

OP, if I were in your position I would just steam that thing in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes, and then sear it with a slightlly seasoned butter, and rosemary. I would deglace the pan with some sort of berries and cabernet. Play it safe since you are on a deadline.

Next time ask earlier.
>>
>>7478458
That sounds fantastic, but sadly the culinary school in America (Le cordon Bleu) is going out of business. Our ingredients are very much limited to the basics. I don't even know if icanGET hazelnuts. Very unfortunate.
>>
You're comfortable doing stew? Elevate that. Also use Google.
>>
>>7478466
What kind of berries do you recommend?
>>
>>7478473
I know I can always use google, but I respect you guys/gals enough as chefs or cooks to ask for advice. We're a team here.
>>
>>7478476
Whatever grows where the rabbit you just deboned ate. Safe is blueberries.

You could also use figs. If they are dry, hydrate with red wine, and add a dash of cream when finishing the sauce. Just a dash, just when finishing it, without boiling it because it will separate.

Don't get creative. You are not here to think, else you wouldn't be here asking for advice. Don't use other fruits.

And pls don't use mint. That's a 00's meme. Has to stop.
>>
>>7478346
hasenfeffer
>>
well, thanks for all the advice gents/ladies. If you would like I'll post the picture tomorrow. Have a good night/good day.
>>
Of course you have to. Rules of engagement. Best of lucks tard, and again, don't be this guy again: NEXT TIME ASK EARLIER
>>
>>7478492
Thanks. Great advice.
>>
>>7478504
I can tell you are a great chef. Best of luck to you.
>>
>>7478466
Blackcurrant or Acai berries if available could be a good alternative to blueberries
>>
>>7478506
http://vanidades.taconeras.net/2014/09/19/receta-dieciochera-conejo-escabechado/

lrn2spanish
>>
>>7478529
He's on a deadline. No time for escabeche.
>>
>>7478529
Sorry, I speak English and Finnish, no Spanish
>>
>>7478536
Time to learn some relevant languages then
>>
>>7478537
I know a bit, nowhere fluent though. Grew up in Finland, trained in America.
>>
>>7478527
No. You want the sweetness and acidity notes of the berries to contrast the (hence, you can tell you are eating..) rabbit.
>>
File: image.jpg (561 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
561 KB, 2048x1536
Bscause this shit it mostly text, here is the lamb I cooked the other day....
>>
>>7478548
So a sweet, but not too pungent berry?
>>
>>7478553
The menu said lamb, I asked for medium, why the fuck can't I see the lamb? Call the Chef!
>>
>>7478555
You OP or one of these fuckers?
>>
>>7478560
Nah, I'm OP
>>
>>7478559
It's a ratatouille blamed zucchini with a mustard breaded glaze, as well as a Parmesan "cracker"
>>
>>7478569
*balmed
>>
>>7478564
Well I told you to steam the rabbit to make it tender. The searing part is for effect mostly. The result should be a very mild tasting meat. By the size of the rabbit you got there that thing barelly tastes like something different than chiken+pork.

So you want to create a contrast to that mild meat without killing it. There are many ways to do this of course, but with a sweeter flavor the worst it can happen is that the rabbit tastes like just chiken+pork, plus something sweet, something everyone loves or at least go meh. That's why besides searing it, you are doing it with butter and rosemary, and adding the sweet sauce with that base scraps in it.

You asked for a deadline recipe, and that is what you are getting. This shouldn't give you an A, but will let you pass; hence, ASK EARLIER.

Rosemary and berries mix together well because you can allways tell them appart. You can bullshit your chef by telling him that the thing grew eating rosemary, and blueberries, so it was only logical to cook it with those ingredients.

Now If you use figs, I would recommend you to use some mediterranean bullshit sidedish like cous cous and make a sort of fig cookie or crumbles for texture.
>>
>>7478553
Who da fuc ordered cucumbers? You tryina hustle me white boi? I ain't no paying fo da shit, mmm mmm
>>
>>7478589
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll take it to heart.
>>
>>7478609
You ass, it's ratatouille, part of the simple recipe. I hope you're joking...
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.