[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My Hard Boiled Eggs Are Soft Boiled?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: boiled eggs.jpg (45 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
boiled eggs.jpg
45 KB, 500x359
Had a hankering for some hard boiled eggs and followed my usual procedure;

Put eggs in a pot of cold water, put pot on the stove at high heat, when it reaches a roiling boil, turn off heat and cover for 10 mins, (which I timed with the microwave) drain hot water and replace with cold water, do this a couple more times, eat hard boiled eggs.

Except this time, as soon as I smacked the egg with a spoon, I could feel that it was soft boiled and sure enough, they all were soft boiled.

They were still tasty and none of them were floaters, so WTF?

I'm thinking I swapped the hot water for cold water too many times / too often.
>>
>struggling to make a hard boiled egg
>>
>>7476302
>drain hot water and replace with cold water, do this a couple more times, eat hard boiled eggs.
You mean to say you boiled multiple different batches of water for one batch of eggs?
did this take you an entire hour?
is this bait?
>>
>>7476314
You're not funny, guy.

>>7476302
You didn't let them sit long enough, OP. Let them sit for 15 mins next time after taking off the heat and also cover the top of the pan with a lid or plate so more heat stays inside of it.
>>
>>7476328
Also, have a bowl of ice water ready. Lots of ice. Some water. Drain the eggs, rinse under cold water and put into the ice bath.
>>
File: Dutch Farms extra Large Eggs.jpg (27 KB, 582x262) Image search: [Google]
Dutch Farms extra Large Eggs.jpg
27 KB, 582x262
>>7476328
> You didn't let them sit long enough

OP here, and I agree but I think it was a case of not letting them sit long enough in the first soak of cold water after boiling, as I’ve always let them sit in the hot water for 10mins.

I’ll admit I was hungry and impatient and probably swapped the hot water out too soon and too often, whereas usually I kinda let them sit in the cold water for a while and let the cold water absorb more heat from the eggs before draining.

Of maybe I got some funky eggs this time, though I bought the same brand as usual (Dutch Farms 18-count)?

> after taking off the heat and also cover the top of the pan

That’s what I do.

>>7476332

I don’t have ice in the house, forgot the recipe.
>>
>>7476360
That is probably similar to the way I do extra large for 15 mins and putting immediately in the ice water to stop all cooking. I use to do it your way and had no issue with it but I stopped it right before boiling also then take off heat and cover, time it 14-15 mins and immediately rinse and into ice water. I don't really know any egg issues in and of themselves that could cause it with an entire batch of them but I'm not a scientist, either. Or whatever it's called when you study eggs or cooking them. I would just try it again and see what happens and if it comes out how you normally like it to, blame the eggs. Maybe they were extra super large or something.
>>
File: triggered.webm (684 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
triggered.webm
684 KB, 480x270
The fuck are you faggots on?

Multiple water changes and rinses and ice for a fucking breakfast egg?

>Boil water
>Egg in
>temp down
>wait 6-10 minutes, depending on hardness
>egg out
>cold water
>eat
>>
won't the outside get tough if you boil the water several times?
>>
there are basically two ways to hardboil op.
first one is the classical boil
>get some water boiling
>gently place your eggs in the water
>wait 8-10 minutes
>replace hot water with cold to stop cooking
>peel

or the slower one where the water isnt actually boiling. guy from foodwishes does this too:
>place eggs in cold water
>on full heat wait for small bubbles rising
>turn of heat, cover and wait for 16 minutes
>replace hot water with cold
>peel

i can imagine that you had really large eggs and very little water, so the water cooled down relativley fast. 10 minutes are not nearly enough in this case, again chef john uses 16min.

exchanging the hot water too many times with cold water after boiling wont affect if your egg becomes hardboiled that much, since you only stop further cooking (up to a small heat fluctuation in the very inside of the egg).
>>
>>7476377
If you don't live in a Northen country country have a uncontrollable fear of salmonella.
>>
>>7476302
You dumb gook
+15 min boiling time = hard
7 mins = medium

I dont do soft, if i did id use a frying pan
>>
>>7476465
>15 fucking minutes
Enjoy your sulphur eggs you fucking shit
>>
What is this multiple boil shit? I've never heard of this before.
>>
>>7476421
All of this.
Except, you need to figure out the perfect 10-20 minute timing based on your own pot and lid. It might retain heat well, or not so well. It's the same deal with rice. Once you know the sweet spot, you have your perfect time.

The second variable is that if your eggs aren't room temperature, then your ideas of how perfect a cold center going to soft vs hard boiled will be imperfect. There is a big difference between 40F and 75F degree eggs going into the water. As long as you are willing to be happy with either result, it'll be a work in progress until you figure out your system. In fact, if you wish to use these eggs for say a second dish like a scotch egg and want the middles a bit raw since cooked twice, you will want to start with cold eggs.

I have NEVER heard anyone twice boil or exchange water out more than once. The drain with icy cold "shock" is to immediately pause cooking, and, I feel, it aids peeling just a bit. I even get a touch of the cold water under the first exposed shell to break that seal inside the shell.
>>
>>7476468
Sulpher eggs? Whats that?
Serious, 15, cold water, peel. Get a bowl of rice, mash egg, yolk is perfect sized chunks that you get some every bite. Add light soya sauce to your liking and voila, a delicacy among 1600 century asians
>>
>>7476523

If you overcook eggs the sulfur in the yolk starts to turn this nasty greenish color. He was insinuating that 15 minutes is too long of a cooking time.
>>
Who /mediummasterrace/ here??
>>
Since y'all want to argue and whine and call names, why don't you all just shove the eggs up your ass for one hour. 98.6 degrees should cook it just right in that amount of time. Faggots. Saus vide di anal.
>>
>>7476537
>sulfur in the yolk
The sulfur is in the albumen, ya dingus. It leaches into the yolk, causing the discoloration.
>>
>>7476587
>The sulfur is in the albumen

Then why is the yolk yellow (the color of sulfur) while the albumen is colorless?
>>
>>7476523
>a delicacy among 1600 century asians
Am I getting trolled, or is the legitimately an old, asian dish?
Anyways, sounds edible, but I would want to have the yolk at medium for that.
>>
>>7476591
The sulfur isn't free in the egg, ya double dingus. It's released as certain amino acids break down, and those amino acids are found in higher concentrations in the albumen.
>>
File: overcooked.jpg (48 KB, 654x390) Image search: [Google]
overcooked.jpg
48 KB, 654x390
>>7476612

And somehow this sulfur magically migrates to the yolk?

FFS, look at an overcooked boiled egg. The nasty color is clearly in the yolk rather than then albumen.
>>
just so everyone knows that picture is for a plastic egg shaped block that you put in with your eggs to make boiling braindead easy, I have one and its the best for lazy boiled eggs, especially if I cant decide what type to have.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.