[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
okay co/ck/s what is THE BEST soup for a cold? I'm gonna
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: finger-lickin-good.jpg (117 KB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
finger-lickin-good.jpg
117 KB, 1600x800
okay co/ck/s what is THE BEST soup for a cold?
I'm gonna say basically any chicken based soup, like good 'ole chicken noodle soup and ramen.
>>
>>7475645
Perigord Tourain
>>
File: hot_sour_soup2.jpg (62 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
hot_sour_soup2.jpg
62 KB, 600x900
Hot and sour soup. You can feel it working!
>>
chicken noodle duh
>>
Pho
>>
Pho from restaurant run by real Vietnamese.
>>
>>7475645
Chicken soup with carrots, garlic and onion. You need to eat light to preserve your cals feeding your inmune system and avoid wasting them in digestion.
>>
>>7475645
Tom yum. It's Thai or some shit.
>>
File: 1442330040364.png (150 KB, 321x384) Image search: [Google]
1442330040364.png
150 KB, 321x384
>>7475698
Hot and sour soup is so delicious.
I'm going to try this recipe pretty soon - I hope it is somewhat close to chinese restaurant.

http://rasamalaysia.com/hot-and-sour-soup/2/
>>
What chicken cut should I buy for a soup? So far I've used leg quarters and it's pretty nice. I'd like to use a whole chicken but for some reason it's way more expensive than the individual cuts.
>>
>>7476918

Leg meat would be best for a soup.

>>I'd like to use a whole chicken but for some reason it's way more expensive than the individual cuts.

That's unusual. Where do you live? Normally the whole chicken is cheaper than any of the individual cuts.
>>
>>7475645
>okay co/ck/s what is THE BEST soup for a cold?
Well, for a cold, there is some thought that its the onion and garlic that thins your mucous and makes you feel better. For pure nutrition and comfort, a rich stock that has a gelatin component soothes and gives a lot of protein, so homemade stock made with bones. I use a pressure cooker to drive out the marrow and gelatin into the broth. Mushrooms give some anti-inflammatories.

My favorite eating out sick day soups are all ethnic: pho with lots of lime and chilies ontop, hot and sour soup or won ton, greek avogolemeno, italian stracciatella, and last but not least any latino restaurant will have something PERFECT like cuban chicken soup with lime, tamal en cazuela is a thick cornmeal based pork stock soup with lots of fat and gelatin, colombian sancocho will have a good amount of lime and cilantro and chunks of soft plantain, potato, corn, generous stew meat with rich broth.

If you're stuck at home, getting delivery is easy with chinese, get two soups, the egg drop to get you started after a lot of vomiting, and another one like won ton to reheat later. Your next stage food will be egg foo young with brown rice, or a simple fried rice. Moo goo gai pan is bland and easy too. This should get you a minimum delivery.
>>
>>7476918
What backwards place do you live in where whole chickens are way more expensive than butchered chicken parts?

Whole chickens around here are usually right around $1/lb, thighs/leg quarters are usually around $1-1.20/lb. Periodically they'll put leg quarters on sale for something like 75 cents/lb and whole birds I've seen on sale for as low as 50 cents/lb
>>
>>7476934
That's like $40 worth of Chinese food
>>
>>7476918
>What chicken cut should I buy for a soup? So far I've used leg quarters and it's pretty nice. I'd like to use a whole chicken but for some reason it's way more expensive than the individual cuts.
Your best price savings per pound will be the 12pc value packs of whatever you like most, whether breasts or thighs. Thighs are a good pick for soup. Some people like wings to enrich the stock.

I do buy whole chickens cut up when on sale, because it has the backbone for stock. I agree that whole, I see more price per pound. It stays in the freezer til I'm sick. Then I bring it out, dropped frozen right into my pressure cooker and water to cover, peppercorns, and a whole onion with the skin (adds color). I strain and let it the meat and stock cool til I pick it off. Meanwhile, I add an egg and cold water to a box of matzo ball mix, and while it soaks in the fridge, I quickly defat my stock with a couple ice cubes and a ladle, and then simmer 20 minutes in the rich stock. Pantry recipe. Sometimes I have wide egg noodles, carrots, celery, dried dill or fresh parsley to enhance it.
>>
>>7476934
>ethnic

Why would you use that word? Don't you belong to any ethnicity? Can't believe that in the current year people still talk like this.
>>
>>7476930
>>7476940
Maybe I just haven't looked widely enough. In the stores I purchase most of my stuff from, leg quarters are 2.50 €/kg, boneless breasts 5.50 €/kg, but whole chickens are 5 €/kg even though they are 40% inedible. Makes no sense to me but that's what it is. And wings for some reason are 4.50 €/kg. So I just buy legs all the time since they're cheap and tasty
>>
>>7476961
We say ethnic to mean that the food comes from brown people on the other side of the salty water. That excludes shit like chicken noodle, tomato soup, beef w/ vegetables, etc.
>>
>>7476961
I used to word before discussing what was a united nations of diverse dishes that were national versions of the favorite soup.

Your trigger to be offended is stupid and projected upon me. If you want to know about me, both sides of my family are pre-revolutionary war, which is not the norm in the US, where everyone has some blank-american identity. I guess that makes me scottish, english, french, german whatever. I don't consider my longstanding anglo nature to be "ethnic" by definition whatsoever. However, I don't really see ethnicity or race in others unless it needs to be addressed, nor do I use the words pejoratively. Get over yourself. Because when food from other cultures is discussed, ethnic food is proper use of the term.
>>
Avoid canned shit because all that sodium
And get something with a good amount of veggies. Beyond that anything goes
>>
>>7476129
>>7476150

with tons of chili oil in it
>>
File: bertrand russel celestial pot.jpg (56 KB, 780x439) Image search: [Google]
bertrand russel celestial pot.jpg
56 KB, 780x439
>>7475645
>File: finger-lickin-good.jpg
you eat soup with your fingers?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.