[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rotisserie chicken is the best chicken. I want to stop overpaying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: RotisserieChicken092911.jpg (166 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
RotisserieChicken092911.jpg
166 KB, 1024x768
Rotisserie chicken is the best chicken. I want to stop overpaying for it in stores. Is there a way to diy a spit and motor to a regular oven?
>>
Just set it and forget it!
>>
isn't rotiesserie chicken like, basically free?

sometimes they're cheaper than a raw chicken around here...
>>
Just put it on a rack or get one of those vertical roasters.
>>
>>7475403
But I want it to spin mang
>>
>>7475394
>isn't rotiesserie chicken like, basically free?
I mean yeah, but anything's free if you steal it.
>>
>>7475420
>/diy/
>>
yeah the already roasted chickens are less expensive than the raw ones
>>
>>7475394
Seriously, it's like $10 for a whole chicken. Excellent value and delicious anyways. Why wouldn't you just buy them from the stores.
>>
>>7475373
>>7475375
Yea man, the showtime rotisserie, set it and forget it.
>>
>>7475458
10? most grocery stores/costco/walmart/etc have em between $4 and $6
>>
>>7475394
>>7475458
Anyone have some insider insight on how they're prepared? Some deli worker lurking maybe?

Does it just come frozen in a tin, defrost and spit? Or what? I'm sure people would be interested.
>>
I recommend watching this nerd. (find the full episode on a torrent so it doesn't look and sound like shit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9mvhmnMmdc
>>
>>7475480
They take a chicken, put seasoning on it, stick it on a rotisserie and cook until done. There's nothing unique or mysterious about it.
>>
File: Chicken.jpg (111 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Chicken.jpg
111 KB, 960x720
Just roast the damned bird for an hour. It's not necessary to use a spit...
>>
>>7475623

hey post the pictures again

I wanna see your sweet butter placement.
>>
File: 003.png (2 MB, 1288x966) Image search: [Google]
003.png
2 MB, 1288x966
>>7475625
Only for you, anon. Only for you...
>>
>>7475477
4 dollars for a whole cooked chicken? Fuck off.
>>
>>7475494
I worked at a deli for a few years. This is pretty much it. They come in raw in giant boxes. We put them on skewers and cook em for 45 minutes. The rotisserie thing just looks cool and is a selling point. One oven we used actually had a switch to make it looks like fire was flickering behind the chickens and had fake charred wood at the bottom. We had that out for the customers to see but the mass of the chickens for cooked in a back oven.
>>
>>7475705
Costco has them for 5 dollars per whole chicken
>>
>>7475705
yea my local shoprite had em on sale a couple weeks ago for that. i normally don't bother with it, but for that price? bought two.
>>
>>7475455
>>7475705
>>7475477

cooked meat cheaoer then raw meat...

and people are "surprised" when then learn that they literally eat shit ...
>>
>>7475373

>overpaying for it in stores
>cheaper than raw chicken
>>
File: 1388990442481.jpg (79 KB, 447x742) Image search: [Google]
1388990442481.jpg
79 KB, 447x742
>>7475910
>applying heat to food turns it into shit
>>
>>7475896
Costco rotisserie chicken tastes great. They are decent sized too.
>>
>>7475920
>covering with a lot of spices and applying heat to cheap, shitty meat from Chinese unsanitery farms, don't make it better...
>>
>>7475920
http://europe.newsweek.com/curious-case-chinese-chicken-import-export-business-273699?rm=eu

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/03/chicken-from-china-your-seafood-is-already-being-processed-there/

good and safe food has a price... but most people are not willing to pay it
>>
>>7475394
When chicken is about to expire they throw a load of spices to it and into the oven they go.

That's why is cheap, sometimes cheaper than a raw whole chicken.
>>
>>7475394
>sometimes they're cheaper than a raw chicken around here...
At my store, yes they are cheaper than the raw chicken. Plus for an extra $2 for the "meal pack" you get 2 sides, rolls and a 2liter of soda. Sometimes I do that, and I only intend to pull apart the chicken for some chicken salad or some other recipe. I park those sides in the fridge for a different meal (usually get potato salad or baked beans). I adore fresh rolls.

OP, although a spit idea is not going to be easy for you (aside from a goodwill find or some used Ron Popeil set it and forget it, say on ebay or garage sale), what you think about doing inside is a clay oven with lid, a covered roaster such as granite ware/speckleware, or a vertical roaster rack. All are under $10 ideas that will get you a moist, nicely browned bird that tastes like it was spit roasted. A can of beer and some artful arranging of foil might give you a vertical bird too in the ol' beer butt chicken sense.
>>
>>7475946
>>covering with a lot of spices and applying heat to cheap, shitty meat from Chinese unsanitery farms, don't make it better...
Yea, I shop at Publix. This is a company with a higher moral fiber. Perdue is the rotisserie brand at BJs Warehouse (competitor to Costco). P.S. Costco carries USDA prime steaks, which is the #1 reason to have a membership.

I highly doubt that cooked chicken is then slapped on a rotisserie and rewarmed. All chinese processing is cooked/processed foods, and no raw items returned to the USA, according to Publix replies in forums.
>>
>>7475373
I've seen grills that have a rotisserie feature.
>>
>All these people saying rotisserie chicken from super markets is garbage expired Chinese diseased chicken

That's really not the deal here. The chicken itself is about the same quality as you would get for the price range. The reason they offer it so cheaply is that it gets people through the door who really quickly need to get dinner on the table.

So, instead of a person going to fast food, and going to a store once every week or so, you now have someone going to the store every 3 days or whatever and they happen to need milk, or cereal, or other profit items.

So, for the most part the chickens are sold almost at cost. It's more about foot traffic, senpai.
>>
>>7475920
If the raw product costs more than the product + time, electricity, and manpower spent to cook it, then something isn't quite right, is it?

If the cooked product costs less than the raw one, it was made from shit quality ingredients. They can get away with more when it has been cooked and covered in cheap spices.
>>
>>7477352
>If the cooked product costs less than the raw one, it was made from shit quality ingredients

That's one possibility. It could also be sold cheap because it's a loss leader and results in profits elsewhere. It's no different than a bar giving out salty snacks for free: sure it costs them money to give you free pretzels, but they make that back when you buy a drink because you're thirsty.
>>
>>7477352
You do realize that all the food you buy in a supermarket is not sold at cost, right? When they sell the cooked chickens slightly cheaper than the uncooked ones, they're still making a profit or at least breaking even on them. Even after factoring in the nominal costs of seasoning, labor and utility costs of cooking them.

And yes, most of the time they're roasting and selling chickens that are pretty much right at their "best by" dates. No different than buying it at a discount yourself on that date and cooking ti that night or freezing it to use later.

I don't know why people get so butthurt about rotisserie chickens on this board, aside from the obvious "just another reason to shitpost"
>>
>>7477352s
Except that it's a common marketing ploy. It's Economics 101. It's officially called a loss leader item. Look it up. You're trying to apply some kind of logic that isn't proper in the world of competitive groceries.
People buy much more than just a rotisserie. They walk over, pick up a pie, or their favorite sides. The great price also builds brand loyalty. The biggest troubles facing any grocery is competition. They all want to be your everything and they want to see you often. It is the minority of shoppers that come in and only buy the below cost items, and not one single other thing. They even want you to crave their best items and come back over and over again for the deal.
>>
>>7477382
Except rotisserie chickens aren't a loss leader since stores generally aren't taking a loss when they sell them. There's still enough margin in the price they charge for a rotisserie chicken for it to be profitable. Sure, it won't be as much margin as selling the bird at full retail price, but it's still a profit and still significantly more profit than throwing it out.
>>
File: 1432285921581.png (24 KB, 954x539) Image search: [Google]
1432285921581.png
24 KB, 954x539
>>7475373
>tfw a 5 dollar rotisserie chicken is dinner for four days
>tfw you boil the bones for stock after you pick off all the meat

Feels fucking good man
>>
>>7475373
You got a grill? They have rotisory setups for those....you could also nig rig it. But I'd just do beer can chicken
>>
File: SG1004_19397_s4x3.jpg (221 KB, 616x462) Image search: [Google]
SG1004_19397_s4x3.jpg
221 KB, 616x462
>>7477439
DANK
A.
N.
K
>>
>>7475373
were you just born yesterday?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG43jyZ65R8
>>
>>7475458
here i pay 3.99 € for one (around 600 grams of edible chikinz) but sometime there is the happyhourdeal and the price go down to 1.99 €
>>
>>7477417
feels good man
>>
File: 2016-02-27 20.20.12.png (2 MB, 2048x1516) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-27 20.20.12.png
2 MB, 2048x1516
I bought a cheap ($70AUD) spit to see if it was worth it.
No regrets here.
>>
>>7477626
Don't you know how to read? I want to see if there is a way to incorporate the oven I already have without cluttering up the kitchen with more shit
>>
>>7475373
costco nigga
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.