[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ck/ I need some advice Like it or not, Sriracha has been the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: srirachabottles.jpg (297 KB, 1200x742) Image search: [Google]
srirachabottles.jpg
297 KB, 1200x742
/ck/ I need some advice
Like it or not, Sriracha has been the hottest "actual sauce" I've encountered thus far (with the constraint being consistency). Most others are far more watery, salt-infused Tabasco bullshit. Just tried Melinda's XXXtra Hot, and it's not nearly as hot as Sriracha, plus it's a fucking wall of salt and runny liquid as opposed to an actual sauce, with barely any heat...

Basically I'm getting sick of buying "THE MOST EXXXXTREEEME HOT DEATH CHILI SAUCE", come to find out it's either a glorified/weak Tabasco or not as hot as Sriracha...Yeah I know Dave's Insanity...but it's also that watered-down Tabasco formula...so what gives?

And yeah I know about Sambal Oelek, which has THE perfect consistency, but should be way hotter and come in a way larger jar. The further away from a Tabasco the better, but also the hotter the better...c'mon /ck/ help me out...What I'm looking for is Sriracha with less garlic, but A LOT more heat, with the same type of sauce consistency...any ideas? Even DIY would be appreciated...
>>
How about harissa? It comes in a handy tube, too, so you could bring it into restaurants if you like.
>>
Consider making a hot salsa and blend the shit up. Control the heat and consistency yourself.
>>
>>7472693
That shit isn't even remotely hot. Find blairs after death sauce. That will burn more coming out than sriracha burns going in.
>>
>>7472709
Still have yet to try because of the price...saw it, Mina red spicy paste--was highly intrigued, but I believe it was around $6.99 for a small jar, whereas a large Sriracha bottle the same price...been burned in the wrong way too many times...

For example, I recently bought Sharwood's Extra Hot Vindaloo Sauce, thinking it would be out of control because of the rating (4 peppers)...but it was weak, man...I was expecting to be destroyed, but in reality Sriracha gave me way more of a kick...I don't get it...
>>
File: 1439569949749.jpg (85 KB, 417x406) Image search: [Google]
1439569949749.jpg
85 KB, 417x406
>mfw it even says it on the bottle
>not a hot sauce
It's a hot chili sauce, you add this to beans while cooking for flavor
>also why it has no salt

>not making your own chili paste with left over red pepper packets from pizzas
step it up sriracha-kun
>>
>>7472721
Working on it...It seems like I gotta start with an extra hot base and then add...my problem is that the trifecta of salt-garlic-onion dominates in most store-bought shit and I'm trying to get a cleaner, meaner paste...
>>
>>7472722
Dude I know, but I want that ketchup consistency with roughly the same price-point as Sriracha...there has to be a way...I don't need a fancy glass bottle....I just want to get my ass kicked by some serious heat at a decent price...

I mean, imagine slathering some thick-ass hot sauce (way hotter than Sriracha) over some Beef Broccoli...pure heat hits your tongue, then the food...then the after-flare...pounding your hand on the table...
>>
>>7472729
Your recipe, please
I'm looking for heat so do tell...
>>
File: Harissa-845x1000.jpg (141 KB, 845x1000) Image search: [Google]
Harissa-845x1000.jpg
141 KB, 845x1000
>>7472726
I feel like you might do better looking in a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern store, if you have any, as they normally have good prices and unique things. If you can find some harissa from Tunisia you'll probably be spending less and getting a better product. I like pic related, personally.
>>
>>7472742
Thanks man, I'll be looking around for that...not many around where I am, but will definitely look out for...
>>
File: deathsauce_ultra.jpg (26 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
deathsauce_ultra.jpg
26 KB, 400x500
>>7472693
Ketchup like consistency. But you'll die. Seriously.
>>
>>7472738
Buy a runny bottle like blairs and add it so something else.
>>
>>7472693
>Sriracha
>Hot sauce
Well I live in Buffalo so my standards might be a bit off.
>>
>>7472693
>Daves is watered down tabasco
Sounds like youve never had daves.
>>
File: megusta.gif (35 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
megusta.gif
35 KB, 250x250
>>7472740
>soak your red peppers flakes in some water
>heat a tablespoon of your favorite oil and a dash of salt in a saucepan or wok
>add soaked pepper
>fry, stir frequently
>when it feels like you're being peppersprayed standing near pan it's done
>lower heat, add garlic if desired
>wait a few more minutes, add rice vinegar
>simmer until peppers turn dark (10-20 min)
>cool and store in fridge in glass container

http://www.teenytinykitchen.com/chinese/making-chinese-chili-paste-la-jiao-jiang/#sthash.NfXSFoJw.dpbs
>>
>>7474063
>>when it feels like you're being peppersprayed standing near pan it's done

I thought this happened instantly with proper peppers even unsoaked.
>>
I know one brand that I like better because it's got /more/ garlic as well as more heat than sriracha, so idklol if you'd go for something like that.
>>
File: 1439581257451.jpg (49 KB, 500x514) Image search: [Google]
1439581257451.jpg
49 KB, 500x514
>>7474067
My Thai homie taught me, he would stand over the wok like nbd and no one else could walk into the room, even other Thais.
>mfw experienced this walking past a outdoor food vendor

>using pepperspray method you make paste just right for you
>final heat is correlated to scoville rating of initial peppers x how long they're fried

>shit tier pizza pepper flakes = long fry time
>dried good quality peppers = medium fry time
>good fresh peppers = short fry time
>>
Get something with Ghost Peppers. Trust me.
>>
>>7472693
For a quick kick to siracha, add crushed red pepper. Though I would maybe grind the pepper into a powder first to maintain the consistency.
(I haven't tried this specifically, what I do is add the siracha and peppers to something else, but this should work.)
>>
>>7474221
Update: gave it a try, it definitely kicks up the burn, but the flavor is largely the same. The crushed red pepper doesn't really grind well unless you maybe use a pepper grinder.
>>
Good chili paste recipe using red Thai chilis?
>>
>>7472693
OP, I don't like the garlic in Sriracha either (and it's considered a mild sauce, not hot at all).
Crystal is the non-vinegary version of Tabasco. I prefer it. Valentina and Tapatio are also the same quality, hint of different chile flavors.
Cholula has more burn, and a different flavor entirely, being habanero, fruity without being sweet. Yucateca is a good green one. Both are great on eggs, nachos, sandwiches.
If you like sambal oelek, use more of it. My boss used a type of it from his garden, basically pureed fresh chilies with garlic and olive oil to cover. He was libyan-italian-jewish, so I assume it was either of the two, maybe italian, maybe a harissa. I'd advocate making your own. But use it within 2 weeks to be safe.
If you want to try some fiery hot stuff, buy any actual salsa in a can from Herdez, whether green or ranchera roasted salsa.
>>
>>7474063
much appreciated, anon
>>
>>7472966
sorry mate I was kinda drunk when posting before...I meant it as, while Dave's is hot, it still seems to have a Tabasco base, which is far more watery than a paste like Sriracha.
>>
>>7474185
>>7472870
So Ghost Pepper sauce seems to be agreed upon; thanks, I'll look for some...I wish my nearest grocery store had a better selection...
>>
>>7474253
Going to try this ASAP anon; thanks! I might also try this in conjunction with Sambal Oelek, which I wish they made 17oz bottles of...
>>
>>7475128
Dude thanks! Taking notes from you guys over here...
>>
ALL I FUCKING DO

ALL I EVER FUCKING DO IS POST THIS GOD DAMN PICTURE

YOU PEOPLE NEVER LISTEN TO ME. YOU DON'T CARE, YOU JUST DON'T CARE.
>>
Assblaster

sriracha's not even that hot. they tell you to put it on hot dogs on the bottle. idk what you're talking about desu
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.