[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can I do with Frozen Tilapia to make it good? I'm poor.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 240x180
What can I do with Frozen Tilapia to make it good?

I'm poor.
>>
>>7462435

throw it away
>>
>>7462436
/thread
>>
>>7462435
Bread it and pan fry.
>>
>>7462443
Do I let it thaw? Bread with flour?
>>
>>7462452
Yes, it thaws in water in like 20 minutes.
>>
>>7462435

Bread it, fry it and eat with sauce of choice.

If it has an ice glace first wash it.
>>
>>7462452
Flour, egg wash, then breadcrumbs/panko/crushedchips/etc
>>
>>7462452

You can do it with just flour, but to put bread crumbs on it you do egg->flour->egg->bread crumb. Just google it.
>>
>>7462435
Fish tacos are excellent when made with tilapia. I also like making Fish a la veracruz with it.

Its pretty easy to make it however you want, it has a very neutral flavor so you can season the shit out of it. Cajun seasoning is great.
>>
>>7462464
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC51UXNd90s

Lets give him a visual.
>>
>>7462464
>>7462463
>>7462443
>>7462455

Fuck, you guys are good. That sounds amazing.

Typically I take it right out of the freezer and put it in a pan with some liquid lemon and mix it into brown rice - but it always tastes bad
>>
>>7462472
Get some tortilla and make this slaw and you got yourself a decent meal.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/creamy-cilantro-lime-slaw-359790
>>
heres what i do with tilapia

dredge it in a bit of egg and roll it in a mix or turmeric and flour

fry it till mostly cooked and set aside

in a pan cook 4 or 5 white onions, sliced into half moons, till they stard to soften. add in crushed garlic , chili, and ginger, and 3 cups of water and one cup of vinager. season with a cube or so of fish(or cray fish) stock, black pepper(be generous), a bay leaf, small broken piece of cinamon

cook the sauce down a little bit, till the onions are soft and sweet, season to taste and add your fried fish into the sauce, turn heat to low and lef fish warm thru

serve on rice
>>
>>7462494
That's a nice sounding curry, actually.
>>
>>7462479
This is the only right answer

All the cu/ck/s telling you to fry it don't have a clue. That thing will fall appart once defrosted, so eitther go for tacos, or get some eggs in a bowl, some spices of your choice and transform them into burgers.
>>
>>7462507
That's not true at all. If sliced and breaded, you can make fish sticks with it easily.
>>
I usually just cajun season it then bread it with cornmeal and fry. Or I'll bake it with onions, lemon, and potatoes.
>>
>>7462511
Indeed, was just trying to make a point. But OP is poor and don't know shit about what he's doing
>>
>>7462507
I make may fish tacos with breaded and fried tilapia. The trick is to defrost in the fridge so it doesn't fall apart.
>>
>>7462518
Even poor dumbasses know how to fry shit. Look at most of the south.
>>
>>7462526
kek
>>
>>7462526
Quite rude desu familio
>>
OP here, can I make like a soup? I have chicken broth and broccoli
>>
>>7462543
It may be rude, but I am from the south and it is unfortunately true for a lot of people in more rural areas.
>>
>>7462545
Yes

Stir fry the broccoli with any other veggies you have around. 3 mins. You want them to sear them (sort of), add broth, boil for 3 minutes, add tilapia (can be frozen, it wont matter), let it come back to boil and let it simmer for 2-3 mikes.

As for seasoning, whatever you like. Ginger, garlic, coriander, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper does wonders. But it's just a suggestion. You could throw in some kind of pasta (respect the cooking times: 8-10 mins)
>>
>>7462567
That sounds fucking fantastic! Thanks m8!

Anyone want to add to this soup thing?
>>
>>7462561
You used the word "even". That's rude when referring to anyone.
>>
>>7462573
Glad it helped. Well you can drop an egg, or whatever you want really. Soups are bro tier. THey allow you to obtain maximum gains because all the soluble vitamins stay in them, so no matter what you throw, you'll get dem nutrients.

Think of soups as happyland.
>>
When in a rush I've baked them at 400 or 450 for 7-10 minutes, until fork flakiness is reached. Spice with salt, lemon pepper and lemon juice, and a bit of parsley.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 318x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 318x475
>>7462435
Throw it out.

Buy bottle of cheap wine. Use it to lure a hobo into your basement. Kill and dress said hobo. Eat like King for six months.

Total cost: $4.99.
>>
low effort, no-cleaning recipe

keep it in the bag
let it thaw a little and use a syringe to inject some oil and spices
put in the fridge for at least half an hour
microwave in the bag for 3-5 min
>>
>>7462435
Get some blackening seasoning and grill or saute that shit. Fresh lemon is great with it. It needs bold flavors as it's a bit bland otherwise.
>>
>>7462435
Parmesan crusted is also tasty af. Nice buere blanc (sp?)is always good on tilapia.
>>
>>7463611

that's fucked up, anon. a cheap bottle of wine at walmart is only $2.99!
>>
File: hirrary.jpg (14 KB, 190x250) Image search: [Google]
hirrary.jpg
14 KB, 190x250
>>7462435
You can buy fresh fish, or if you're in the middle of the country where none is easily available then you can just eat whatever you can source locally. Tilapia is shit tasting anyway. It reminds me of my first gf in high school if you catch my drift. Not the best memories.
>>
I have a whole tilapia, descaled and degutted but with the head still on. Never worked with fish before. Suggestions for a simple and tasty meal?
>>
I have frozen Basa if anyone could help me

what spices go with it?
>>
I coat it in bread crumbs then bake it, comes out better than frying IMO
>>
>>7464652
Boone's Farm isn't wine gaylord
>>
>>7462435
Doesn't this shit fish give you the runs? Some shit in it makes people have anal discharge and what not.
>>
absolutely deluge it in lemon pepper and creole seasoning then pan fry it in butter. serve on plain rice with side of steamed bok choy sprinkled with dry seaweed flakes
>>
>>7466315
yes
>>
>>7466243
Close enough for hobo trap bait purposes.
>>
>>7462435
The bigger problem with tilapia is where and how this fish is frequently farmed. It's nearly impossible to find U.S.-bred tilapia fillets because our colder climate requires these tropical fish to be grown in expensive indoor tanks, says Michael Rubino, director of the NOAA Fisheries Aquaculture Program. Almost all of the frozen fillets sold in grocery stores and served at restaurants come from China, while most fresh tilapia fillets come from Central America.
Although there are some highly reputable global producers that grow healthy fish in an environmentally sound fashion — namely the world's largest producer, Regal Springs — there are many farmers, especially in Asia, that do not. Many foreign producers in under-regulated nations have been found to raise diseased tilapia in too-tight quarters, pumping fish full of antibiotics, clearing forests to make room for on-shore tanks, and even feeding fish feces. Such measures not only yield poor-quality fish but can cause major damage to the surrounding land and water.
>>
>>7467259
>i have no idea what i'm talking about, but here: let me offer a bunch of official-sounding bullshit that's not rooted at all in reality
Why thank you, Anon! Just what I've always wanted.

>implying there isn't a huge (and growing) number of tilapia farms in alberta and BC
>implying you can get much colder than mooseland

Tilapia is becoming popular among rural Canadians because of how cheap and easy it is to care for and how quickly it grows. You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>7467357
>Tilapia is becoming popular among rural Canadians
Get rich quick schemes are a worldwide phenomenon, the last big one was emus in rural india

Be careful with your mone, anon
>>
>>7466315
>>7466404

you are thinking of escolar. Escolar will cause orange oil to leak from your anus.

Source: Experience
>>
Roast a bed of sliced potatoes on parchment paper while making a mediterranean veg salsa, then layer thawed fish and salsa and breadcrumbs onto the bed and roast another few minutes until done.
>>
make sushi
>>
I have a box of frozen tilapia in the freezer, what do i do?
>>
>>7470216
I literally have around 150 of OPs pic, got it cheap af but just marinating ot and grilling isn't cutting it
>>
NOT.
SUSHI.
>>
>buy potatoes, that's cheap
>cut into cubes, boil
>season flour, whisk eggs then breadcrumbs
>fry in vegetable oil
>either mash potatoes or serve with bok choy or whatever with garlic sauce
>>
>>7462435
Honestly, you should try Haddock, it's almost white salmon how good it is
>>
>>7467481
You're right, the anal leakage is from escolar, I got confused, but there's a huge concern with chinese farm raised tilapia, they use chicken droppings and pig manure for feed.
>>
fry it and eat it, it's impossible to make tilapia wrong
>>
>>7462435
Sushi
>>
One time I literally just took it out of the package and ate it frozen.
>>
>>7471548
Are you a bear?

Rawr!
>>
>>7462435
bread it, pan fry, fish tacos
>>
>>7462436
>when you actually think the 'fresh' fish you buy at the counter isn't thawed from frozen cuz laws
lol
>>
>>7471561
BEAR HANDS!
>>
File: 2.gif (308 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
2.gif
308 KB, 300x169
>>7472283
>labeled fresh caught king salmon
>clearly previously dyed and frozen Atlantic salmon

Fish labeling is fucked in this country. They should send out FDA agents to cite these fuckers. They'd make more than the police.
>>
>>7462435
Salt it, pan fry it and eat with fried rice.

Get a small tub of gochujang; $5 worth will last you a long time, but if you're not a spice lover just use any el cheapo tomato paste.
Tablespoon in a skillet with a little oil. Cook it off and dash some sweet soy sauce to kill the spice. If you don't have that, just season with soy sauce and a bit of sugar.
Fry your tilapia in the paste with crushed garlic. Two minutes each side, then take out the fish.
Use day-old boiled rice and fry it in the rest of the paste. Optionally, you can add a little bit of butter. Toss the fish into a bowl with the rice.
Take some chicken aspic and pour it in. Use a ladle full of any old chicken broth if you haven't made any chicken leftovers from which you might get your aspic.
Slice spring onions over it and you've got a great cheap meal.
>>
Tilapia is shit-tier. If you want decent cheap fish just get pollack.
>>
>>7472283

>implying i suggest he throw it away because it's frozen and not because it's tilapia
>>
I usually pan fry with butter and some herbs at the end, but it always ends up falling apart and i just mix it with something and stick it in the fridge for some fish salad abomination.
>>
>>7472380
Alternately, I also use it for ceviche.
>>
thaw it out, flake it up with a fork, mix with seasoned bread crumbs and egg, form into patties, pan fry in shallow oil, eat with Tabasco
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.