[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Poor fag here, how can I eat for $20 a week
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8
File: needfood.jpg (4 MB, 7326x3128) Image search: [Google]
needfood.jpg
4 MB, 7326x3128
Poor fag here, how can I eat for $20 a week
>>
Smoke a Pork Shoulder.

1.75 a pound
>>
File: tmp_12459-asimov620-2045202718.jpg (15 KB, 620x416) Image search: [Google]
tmp_12459-asimov620-2045202718.jpg
15 KB, 620x416
>>7457209
Insufficient data for a meaningful answer.
>>
>>7457209

$20 is manageable. If you go to China town, you can usually find cheap vegetables and rice from bulk. Get a few bags of greens and some rice. Most supermarkets will have reduced chicken because the expiration date is soon. You can buy some chicken thighs (I like the boneless thighs)/breasts and they are actually fine to eat a few days past the expiration date. It's really just more of a "best before" date. But yeah, stirfry some chicken/veggies/rice, add some spices, you got yourself good meals. Best part is this entire thing won't cost you $20. You'll probably have like $5-$7 left over and you can buy some bread, deli meats (smoked turkey is great), maybe some chips to have something to much on.

Alternatively you can also buy some pasta from bulk, a jar of tomato sauce and cook that+add in some chicken/veggies.

$20 is totally doable honestly. You just gotta look for good deals.
>>
>>7457225

You could also buy a carton of eggs.
>>
>>7457209
Rice and beans.
>>
>>7457225
Is it ok to get frozen or canned veggies?
>>
>>7457236
and Potatoes.

Hot sauce+Tony Chachere can make all those go a very long way.
>>
>>7457250
op again, I've basically been eating potatoes and cheese, eggs, and pasta
>>
>>7457209
Just go poor mans vegan for a weak. Easily do-able. Meats too expensive desu
>>
>>7457246
It is but it won't taste as good. Don't get ones preserved with tons of salt. I think peas are fine frozen, but aside from that, I try to stay away from frozen veggies and prefer fresh.
>>
Rice, legumes, and whatever produce is in season
>>
A single $20 bill
>>
File: ManChildrenAfraidOfVegetables.png (40 KB, 523x940) Image search: [Google]
ManChildrenAfraidOfVegetables.png
40 KB, 523x940
Cheaper than dirt, very filling and nutrient dense.

Grains/Pulses: Oats, Lentils, Brown Rice, Beans, Split Peas
Protein: Tuna, Sardines, Eggs, Whey
Veg: Corn, Lima/Runner Beans, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Pumpkin, Kale, Collard Greens, Broccoli, Sprouts, Onions
Fruit: Apples, Bananas, Grapefruit, Pineapple, Rhubarb

Buy loose and in bulk.
>>
Buy a Baggie, roll 7 joints. Every dinner time rock up at a mates place and lay a Scooby on them, then stay for dinner when invited. They will give you wine too.
>>
>>7457225
This is where I live. We don't have "china town's" , farmer's markets or butcher shops here. Only A Walmart and a Save-A-Lot. $20 can get you enough food for a week, but it won't be healthy food. If you try to go healthy, then you will only be able to buy things that will last you a few days.
>>
>>7457227
Definitely this, six meals for a couple of dollars is great.
>>
>>7457407
>7 joints for $20
lol around here if you're buying anything decent it's $20 a g, so you'd get 1-2 joints.
>>
>>7457219
This. I fucking hate threads that do it.

>>7457416
Oh, good. More info.
Save-a-Lot sells bags of mixed pinto and kidney beans. In another poor thread recently, I said that they were $1.89 for 2lbs, but I went yesterday and saw a 4lb bag for $2.99. That means that each serving-sized portion of cooked beans costs less than 10¢ if you get that big sack.

Save-A-Lots around here also sell bags of La Moderna pasta. They're popular with Mexicans. They're less than half the size of typical bags/boxes of pasta, but cost only 25¢ per 7oz/200g. That means that they cost under 57¢/lb (or under 10¢/serving).

I hope you have at least one other supermarket near by because Shoprite in my area sells 20lb bags of storebrand rice for $7.99. That's 8¢ per serving.

As for vegetables, other than beets or tomatoes, don't buy canned. Ever. They're often of much worse taste with only pennies in savings. Frozen can be okay, price for value.
I always have frozen fava beans because I'm a filthy immigrant who eats fava beans as well as frozen peas and frozen corn kernels. They're typiclaly 99¢/lb. Fava are $1.99/lb, sold in a 2lb bag.

Leafy cooking greens are also nice frozen, if only because they're cleaned and ready to use. I've never bought any myself, but the prices are usually fair, so I recommend that, too.

As for fresh veg, I eat a lot of salads, so I buy lots of salad greens. They can be costly area to area and store to store, though.

And yes: buy meat. Save-A-Lot has a sale on chicken right now, 99¢/lb for a whole bird. However! If you've got an Aldi (you didn't mention one, but here's hoping), they have chicken thighs on sale next week 49¢/lb.

It's not easy, but it's doable. I feed myself on $35ish (give or take $5) per week.
>>
>>7457465
Ill keep this in mind
>>
just drink malt liquor whenever you get hungry

should have money left over at the end of the week
>>
>>7457209
rice
beans
frozen/canned chicken
frozen veggies/whatever veggie is cheapest
tap water

or

chicken noodle soup
chicken
frozen veggies
pasta
onions
bouillon cubes
>>
>>7457463
if you're buying 20 a g anywhere you're a little kid getting ripped off
>>
>>7457416
Walmart:
- 10 lb. bag of chicken quarters for $7 or less. Pull off the skins and fry them in water with seasoned salt. Separate the drumstick and thigh by cutting at the joint. Freeze most of it. Marinate 6 pieces or so with whatever you like. Put in fridge.
- Discount bread rack has breads for as low as .50 cents. You can get ciabatta rolls, croissants, etc. for under $2. Fresh bread is $1 for the marketside loaf.
- Milk is under $2 a gallon.
- Full fat yogurt for under $3. Cheaper if you can just make it from the milk.
- Pork shoulder or other large cuts are usually under $2 and sometimes under $1.50 /lb. Cut into cubes and make a stew with...
- Beans (already suggested by others) and...
- Collard greens, kale, turnip greens ($1 /bunch) or cabbage (under $.50 /lb.)
- Naval oranges (under $1/lb.), grapes (under $2/lb.), and sometimes apples can be cheap.

Save-a-lot:
- Look for sales on meat and stock up.
- Sales on veggies and fruit might be good.
- Sales on non-perishables.
- Sales on things with long shelf-life such as cheese.

You should be just fine. Try to find a store that sells dented cans and recently expired non-perishables like Grocery Outlet. You can sometimes find some yummy stuff there for cheap.
>>
>>7457832
>milk is under $2 a gallon

It's $2.59 a gallon at my Walmart. Best thing is to buy sealed milk that's near sell by date for $1 or so and drink it within the week. You can even get organic shit for that price. Also look at the expiration on the others and then plan to shop whenever they get close.

I am not sure if this applies to Walmart as they may just throw out expired shit, but my local grocers do that, as do the natural food stores.
>>
>>7457209

Potatoes and milk are a nutritionally complete diet, so get a couple gallons of milk and few pounds of taters each week. Add in some rice/beans for variety and a multivitamin and you should be set.
>>
>>7457215
Actually true. I just did a 14 lbs pork shoulder that cost me 24 dollars. It'll easily translate into 60 meals.Use the other 56 dollars for the month to buy shit to go with it.
>>
>>7457832

>fry them in water

wut
>>
I buy a bunch of bananas each week for pocket change, and when you don't eat any shitty processed food full of sugar, they're the best and cheapest most satisfyingly sweet dessert you can eat every evening
>>
>>7457645
Whenever people post something like this I just wonder where they live
>>
>>7457832
>milk is under $2 per gallon
The price of milk varies HEAVILY state to state.
Around here, it's $2.99 for skim and $4.09 for whole while in California, it's $4.20 and $5.50, respectively. In Hawaii, I'm sure it's much, much higher.
The national average for milk of all sorts is currently $3.68, last I saw.
For future reference, mentioning milk prices doesn't help much because of how drastically it can vary nationwide.
>>
>>7457862

Bananas fried up with a little butter and brown sugar are incredible.
>>
>>7457841
I do that from time to time, but what I do is a little cleverer than that.

I buy skim milk in 1 quart bottles because I only use it for cooking and for making foam for coffee. Whole milk is for drinking.
Anyway, I washed and kept them. Once I had three of those 1 quart bottles, I started to buy the supercheap, about-to-go-off milk, filling those three quart bottles and freezing them, leaving the remaining quart to be had over the course of the next couple of days (I drink lots of milk because I have the glorious benefit of not being a lactose intolerant subhuman).
>>
>>7457872
Now add rum and you have a bananas foster.
>>
File: 1456454869213.jpg (83 KB, 937x557) Image search: [Google]
1456454869213.jpg
83 KB, 937x557
>>7457885
Props, I just reuse the jugs for tea because my roommate is one of those lactose intolerant subhumans since he's native american (like 3/4 of them genetically cannot digest lactose) but I enjoy it from time to time. It's a comfy drink with meals that keeps my GERD from flaring up too badly, or a quick breakfast with some nesquik or ovaltine when that shit is on sale for cheap.

I also eat a fuck ton of homemade yogurt since I got some Udi's granola for $1 from my local natural grocer. I could've just made granola at home but honey is expensive no matter how you get it.
>>
>>7457906
Any geneticists around?
My half-brother is 62.5% Germanic. I'm 62.5% mudrace.

Our mum's mum is half Alemannic German and half Slovene and she married a southern Italian and had our mother. Mum's first husband, my bro's dad, was Danish studying abroad in CH who looks a lot like Mads Mikkelsen and her current husband, my dad, is a filthy, lactose-intolerant Durkastani subhuman who looks suspiciously like a very fat version of Saddam Hussein.

My brother's got red-blond hair and blue eyes.
I've got red-brown hair and brown eyes.
He's lactose intolerant but I'm not. I have no idea how that worked out.
>>
>>7457938

He's your half brother, your mom probably cheated.
>>
>>7457938
Did your brother have any illnesses or surgical procedures in childhood that could've contributed to non-genetic lactose intolerance?
>>
>>7457938
It happens, I'm in a family of danes and swedes who sometimes seem to subsist on nothing but cheese and milk seemingly.

I have a cousin who's lactose intolerant by sheer fluke.

All it means is they didn't get the lactose digesting gene.

So we can assume that each of your parents had an ancestor that was also lactose intolerant. Or in the case of your dad, just didn't have the gene, so probability looks like this

L - Lactose Gene
X - No Lactose Gene

X X
L LX LX
X XX XX

So each of you, given the lactose intolerant father, had a 50/50 chance of being lactose intolerant as well. Yay for genetics!
>>
File: 1456228489281.jpg (86 KB, 960x622) Image search: [Google]
1456228489281.jpg
86 KB, 960x622
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSg6lwIItU

hee you go OP, thank me later.
>>
>>7457978
i'm currently doing this too btw. 3 weeks so far, ofc you can modify this to your liking but it gives you a basic idea of what you can buy with 20$
>>
>>7457958
>non-genetic
I didn't know that was such a thing.
And yes, I've heard he had lots of surgeries and procedures as a kid, but I'm not entirely sure what types nor for what conditions.

>>7457975
Well, my dad's lactose intolerant. I've asked my mother about it and his dad is/was not. No one in our mother's family is, either. The only ones in the family who are lactose intolerant are my half-bro and my dad. Neither my half-sis nor other half-bro, the lactose intolerance half-brother's full siblings, are lactose intolerant, either. Just him.

And just to point out how much of a dumbfuck I am, I never knew they were my half-siblings until well into adulthood because their father abandoned them when they were very, very young, my mother remarried a couple years later and my dad adopted the three of them, so we all have the same surname.
>>
Lactose intolerance isn't 100% genetic.
>>
>>7457994
Yes, it is.

Now, the big thing is it relates to the ability to digest lactates, everyone can while they're babies, but how well you can digest it decreases for most people as they get older (Anyone not from Europe).

Gut bacteria can make lactose a bit easier to tolerate, but someone who has lactose intolerant genes will still be lactose intolerant.

Where confusion sets in is you can digest milk products with the help of some bacteria, like those found in yogurt. Cheese is also digested easily since fermentation breaks down much of the lactose. This is the non genetic influence.

Even if you can't digest milk, you can still drink it, just drinking a glass of milk would be like drinking a nice big drink of laxatives, and could give you really nasty gas as it disagrees with you.

If you wanna read up on the genetic details, here's a nice article on the subject:
https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lactose-intolerance
>>
>>7457832
Milk here is like 4 dollars. Where do you live?
>>
>>7457857
If you don't use water. The skins will stick to the pan. If you use oil to keep them from sticking, that's just overkill. Water will give the skins time to render their fats so that by the time the water evaporates the rendered fat will keep the skins from sticking and then fry them up.

Now you made me type far more than I wanted to. Thanks for the carpal tunnel. Obama.

>>7458175
Michingun
>>
>Go to the bank
>Convert it into singles
>Spend $1 on the cheapest oil you can find if you don't have some
>Fry up the dollar bills
>Eat 2 per night for the first 2 nights, then enjoy 3 per night for the remaining 5
>>
File: 63b.jpg (156 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
63b.jpg
156 KB, 1000x1000
>>7457416
>This is where I live. We don't have "china town's" , farmer's markets or butcher shops here.
>implying you "live"
>living in some flyover wasteland
>>
Get your grains from the Mexican foods area. Sheeeeeeit, got lentils in two different parts of the store, and the Latino brand is half a dollar cheaper for the same amount.
>>
When I was poor I'd eat 2 eggs for breakfast, so a dozen for $3 lasted the week. Rice for cheap as hell, chicken breasts for $2 a lb, big ass bags of frozen veggies for $1 a lb. Spend a little extra on sauces and you're good to go and reasonably healthy.
>>
Have you tried not being poor? Getting a job, working for a living?
>>
>>7457852
what, most meals by weight are about a lb each. I can see getting 14 or 16 meals of just pork shoulder out of that, but 60? A pound of pork shoulder only has like, 850 calories in it.
>>
>>7458803

>Use the other 56 dollars for the month to buy shit to go with it.

Half a pound of pork plus a baked potato. Not him but it adds up to me.
>>
>>7458806
If you're having half a pound of pork per meal out of a 14lb pork shoulder (assuming it's boneless and doesn't lose any of it's weight from liquid or fat during the cooking process), that still only comes out to 28 meals. Where do the other 32 meals come from? That doesn't add up at all.
>>
Rice, eggs, frozen vegetables. Fried rice with that and you're good to go honestly.
>>
>>7458456
>chicken breasts for $2 a lb,
What kind of fantasy land do you people live in where this is reality?
>>
>>7458855

I live in the Midwest and this is common from the local Bakers(Kroger) or Hy-Vee. Cheaper if you can go bulk at CostCo.
>>
File: Chicken.jpg (493 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Chicken.jpg
493 KB, 1920x1200
>>7458855
>>7458864

Just went and got the weekly ad, $1.50 a pound.
>>
>>7457209
???? 20 bucks a week is easy, that's the same thing as saying 80 bucks a month.

Just buy pasta, rice, and potatoes in bulk. If you really want to feel like spending, buy frozen veggies and maybe like leq quartets or drumsticks.

You can easily peel the skin and use that as a meal supplement instead of the whole drum stick. Either way, good price for about 10 drumsticks would be around 5 or 6 bucks. Easily 10 meals, or 5, if you're a fat fuck who can't into actual rationing.

Buy some garlic salt, or even just garlic on its own, and buy bulk tomato sauce for your noodles. You should be able to ration those easily to last you the entire month so that you only need to buy it once per month.

If you want to be ultimate poorfag, you can scour local markets for discount coupons off meat that is close to reaching the sell by date. My local grocery sometimes has 5 dollars off coupons, but more commonly 3 dollars off.
>>
>>7457209
Since you're posting from Cambodia, very easily.
>>
>>7457209
Srs though, look at growing your own veggies for this spring/summer.
>>
>>7457209
Go to McDonald during rush hour - breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

>Go to bathroom, the sneak around to the side

>When they say a generic order, raise your hand and step forward.

>Mosie out the door with a free meal.
>>
>>7458934

I think he was looking for non-degenerate answers.
>>
>>7457209
Rice and beans bro, and potatoes.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 250x232) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 250x232
>>7458348
>>7457832

Stop intertwining memes with genuine advice. You'll get some newfag killed.
>>
Frozen pizza & theft.
>>
You'd be surprised how far millet porridge and cheap chicken and lentils can get you
>>
>>7458855
I live in El Paso, I can get chicken breast at my local food market for 54¢ a pound.
>>
A full 7 day week? Hard. You're not going to eat very healthy, that's for sure. Nor will you have a lot of variety. Probably something along the lines of Oatmeal for breakfast, rice for dinner, and home made bread for lunch, with the rest of your money going towards flavoring for all three. Meat or sauces for the rice, fruit for the oats, and whatever you want for the bread. The only issue is you need to buy everything in bulk, so you get a week of chicken and soy-sauce for dinner before you're allowed to switch it up and have some fich
>>
>>7462944
Oh yeah, or eggs. Good breakfast or as flavor for the bread.
>>
Grow vegetables.

Buy bulk.

Eggs and beans.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.