[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steak. How do you cook it? Share, please. My method. >let
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 20130326-DSC_1139[1].jpg (106 KB, 603x400) Image search: [Google]
20130326-DSC_1139[1].jpg
106 KB, 603x400
Steak. How do you cook it?

Share, please.

My method.

>let steak sit for 30 minutes until near room temp
>heat pan on stove
>season steak, copious salt, copious black pepper, little oil
>oil in pan
>steak in
>turn every 60 seconds, 7 minutes total
>halfway through, a little more oil
>fat chunk of butter in pan
>garlic clove in pan
>thyme in pan
>onions and/or mushrooms in pan
>baste steak with butter/oil/thyme mixture
>last 30 seconds, render fat in butter/oil/thyme juice
>serve

Rate? Fix?
>>
File: 1452471980405.gif (117 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1452471980405.gif
117 KB, 500x375
>>7457010
I dont own a stove/grill or a pan, so this is how I cook my steak
Gather wood
Start a fire
Tie sticks into two tripods
Tie steak to dangle from a long stick which spans the tripods over the fire
Halfway cooked, I retie the steak so that the other side faces the fire.
Cut the steak into bite size peices
Dip into soy sauce and eat
>>
>>7457021

Salt-free soy sauce or regular?
>>
Take frozen steak from freezer. No thawing at all.

Put olive oil in pan and set to high heat. When hot, sear each side of steak for 90 seconds. Afterwards, put in baking pan and into oven on 350 degrees, about 10-15 mins per inch and flip halfway.

If you freeze your steaks, this is the best way to cook them.
>>
>>7457028
Regular because I use it as a substitute for salt.
>>
>>7457010

T-thanks Gordon
>>
Ive cooked literally thousands of steaks in my life as a Cook.

But these days I only cook selfishly for myself. And when I make steak for myself its via the sous vide method with a reverse sear.

Because its the absolute best way to cook a steak, hands down. No contest.

If you think different you are ignorant and you never tried a reverse sear.
>>
>>7457010
sous vide with salt pepper olive oil and a bay leaf at 136F until warmed through
sear on cast iron pan preheated in a 500F oven
>>
>>7457010
My husband really likes grilling, and has been working on his steak game. One day I found an article in an old Cooks illustrated. It said that when you go to a steak house you get a steak seared crispy on the outside and buttery soft on the inside (I'd you're lucky) because their grills get a lot hotter than home grills or som shit. So after testing over 9000 methods of cooking steaks (as they do) he came up with the method of dusting them withcornstarchand putting them in the freezer for like 30 minutes before seasoning and cooking. The reason being that the cornstarch dried out the outside of the steak and allowed the inside to stay moist or some shit.

Anyway, the whole point is that he tried this method and made the best fucking steaks I have ever eaten in my fucking life. I guess you can google the technique if you want.
>>
>>7457047
how do i sear backwards chef?
>>
>>7457119

By cooking to a desired temp in a sous vide water bath and then searing with intense heat after to develop the crust and the maillard reaction.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQD3os7OVIs
>>
>>7457126
noice
>>
File: file.jpg (474 KB, 654x1000) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
474 KB, 654x1000
I love the pink and I get most pink from sous vide.
>>
>>7457010

>Leave steak out at room temp for 30-45 minutes
>Heavily salt/pepper both sides
>Hot pan, olive oil or grape seed oil
>Steak in 3 minutes each side
>Throw in some garlic cloves, thyme, rosemary
>Finish it with butter/baste it
>Serve with ketchup

Basically copy Gordon Ramsay + ketchup because I know what's good in life and you don't.
>>
File: Perfect_Entrecote_(2454655127).jpg (342 KB, 1200x977) Image search: [Google]
Perfect_Entrecote_(2454655127).jpg
342 KB, 1200x977
>>7457010
from what I understand bringing it to room temp doesn't do a noticeable amount. I've was taught to bring it to room temp when I was an apprentice, but that could be more to do with organising a work flow so you don't go down in a busy service. Anyway I can't tell the difference so I don't bother.

>Season with salt only, quite heavily.
>Sear in a HOT pan, let it get a good amount of colour
>put it on its side to render the fat if it has any.
>put in oven to get required doneness, sometimes I like it blue, sometimes I feel like eating a medium what ever.
>rest.

I don't baste it with butter and herbs and garlic, I don't use pepper. If I'm eating a steak I usually just want the steak flavor, If i want other flavors I'll add it with a burre noisette or jus. Or I'll make a different dish with different flavors and beef as an ingredient.

With how well done I have it, my favorite is rare, but I like anything from blue to medium, as they all have different flavors and textures. Anything over medium and I'd rather just have braised meat.
>>
>>7457047
I sous vide sometimes, Mostly I use it for chicken breast and other shit, not so much steak. But why do you reverse sear? Why not sear then sous vide?

I would think you'd get less of that medium doneness ring if you did it sear first.
>>
>>7457213
Some people do it that way, I dont personally because after you sear and put it into the bag some of the juices go out into the bag and the steak is sous vide with them. Its inevitable. This just takes away some of the appeal of the sear.

Which is why people do the sear last. You barely get any doneness ring at all this way.

The best way to do it is with a blow torch, which I do and sometimes I do it in combo with super high temp searing on my grill.

This video shows the blowtorch method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-bJDWEpbCU
>>
Sometimes I just heat up a iron pan till its screaming hot and use that to sear my sous vide steak.

I do this in winter when the snow is on the ground and I cant grill. It makes a nice crust on the steak and I will use the torch to also brown up the fat.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=104sWyAS4vY
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.