[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Durian like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: buttery.png (987 KB, 1231x622) Image search: [Google]
buttery.png
987 KB, 1231x622
What is Durian like?
>>
Personally it reminds me of roasted caramel passion fruit.
>>
Salty milk and coins
>>
God what's with that guy. He totally over does it with his taste reactions and that leaning to the side thing with his eyeballs about to explode.
>>
Fucking horrible. Think of all the foods that have become fads despite not being very good- durian is too unpleasant to even become a health meme food.
>>
Tastes like a dirty diaper smells.
>>
>>7455593
Like bags of sand with a pinch of coin.
>>
This guy is so conflicting for me.

He posts really well edited travel videos where he gets a good variety of typical and exotic foods.

Then he fucking ruins almost every thing he eats by doing that stupid orgasm face.

It triggers the shit out of me.
>>
Durian candy tastes like garlic and old socks
>>
its the worst. I follow the zims golden rule of try everything at least twice

so far durian is the single exception to that rule. Never ever again
>>
It's one of those foods that YouTubers overreact to and make it seem worse than it is.
This colours most people's perceptions and they too assume it will be absolutely awful without even trying it.
While most foods like this are an aquired taste, they're rarely truly 'disgusting '.

See: surstromming, black coffee, smelly French cheeses
>>
>>7456627
This. I used to hate durian but once you stop moaning about the smell it's just sweet custard with slight bitter notes.
>>
>>7455593
durian the fruit? i once left one out at home, then later thought there was a gas leak. after much panic and looking for a source, i noticed it was the fruit. im convinced they use durian to scent natural gas
>>
>>7456731
What's the texture like? The taste sounds pretty good but it looks horrifically slimy.
>>
>>7456746
Slimy with some slightly crunchy bits.
>>
File: gfdfgdfg.jpg (140 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
gfdfgdfg.jpg
140 KB, 1000x666
Like canteloupe infused with propane, with a custardy but also stringy texture.. I read so much about it beforehand, that I expected it to really taste like dumpster feet. But that's not true at all. The smell is just akin to onions or natural gas, like a gas leak.

It's also pretty expensive, even in it's native country.
>>
File: 1442690399236.jpg (60 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
1442690399236.jpg
60 KB, 600x451
>>7456731

This mook speaks the truth, and I would add a hint of onion to the notes.

I've never had one that was particularly smelly, either. Maybe some storage or shipping process dulls the odor?
>>
It's like a custardy melon that once in a while gives you a shot/whiff of some kind of sulfur or rotting garbage.

Actually if you've smelled that shit Indians use to spice up oil, hing powder (asafoetida), it's almost exactly like that.

I had a durian smoothie recently that was OK but the random hing stench that kept popping up was too much.
>>
>>7456795
Is it even worth it? Should the fruit just be avoided if it's going to blast you with farts over and over?
>>
File: 10irfb.jpg (45 KB, 580x327) Image search: [Google]
10irfb.jpg
45 KB, 580x327
>>7455630
It's because he's a jew
>>
I had it frozen from a chinese super market. It was like death. I have no idea why the first person forced to eat durian to survive didn't kill himself and end the tradition there.
>>
>>7455593
It tastes nice
>>
>>7456917
>>7456839
Durian is a seasonal fruit and has to be consumed fresh and within 24 hours from harvest or the quality of the flesh drops significantly. If it is not in season, it WILL SUCK.

There many species of durian, each with their own unique flavour and IMO the best are grown in Malaysia (The Cat Mountain King and Blackthorn varieties are the best atm, huge demand for these in Malaysia, Singapore and China).

Thai durians are absolute crap and not worth your time or money.
>>
>>7456997
>the best are grown in Malaysia
amen brother

some people like to leave it for a couple days after the fruit falls before eating it for that lightly fermented taste, but nothing beats fresh
shits cheap as fuck during the season too, people sell heaps of them from roadside vans
>>
>>7455593

rotten onions and pineapple
>>
>>7456997
My whole family (I was in like, 9th grade) tried the aforementioned frozen durian because we all watched Zim Zim's bizzarre adventures together. Most of us couldn't finish the pieces we got and threw it out in the back yeard, and one of our dogs rolled around in it because it was reeking filth. It didn't wash out easily.
>>
To me it smells and tastes like burnt rubber and sulfur
>>
>>7455593
> Imagine your in an airthight room, with all the windows and doors tightly sealed.
> you ate some expired yoghurt and have had terrible gas for hours
> it smells strongly like sinister anal vapours, but as it is your own gas its only low key disgusting
> you open a slightly expired and low quality can of pineapple, drain it thoroughly and place it into a bowl
> you fill the rest of the bowl with pre mixed custard and a small cube of mango that has been left on a plate in the open for a day of two
> microwave the mixture on a low setting for 30-45 seconds
> use a fork to mash the contents of the bowl into the consitency of double cream
> allow to cool until the pulpy slurry reaches just the right off putting, luke-warm, tepid, room temperature heat
> mould the slurry into shape using the palms of your hands
> fart directly into your cupped hands
> immediately eat one of the congealed lumps of faux durian

> WA LA
>>
>>7455593
I tried a dried version of it and it tastes and smells like a greengrocer got blended into a singular matter. Like fruit mixed with onions, peanuts, and dirt.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.