[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stove
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: Electric_stove.jpg (2 MB, 3624x2592) Image search: [Google]
Electric_stove.jpg
2 MB, 3624x2592
How bad are old electric stoves for someone who wants to learn how to cook properly? Should i just get a gas stove?
>>
>>7451701
>Cooking with an electric stove
Literally the most pleb thing you can do
>>
Gas stoves are the best. If you atleast have gas at your house it isn't too hard, just buy a gas stove and run the lines. But if you don't have gas for heating or something else it is much more expensive
>>
It doesn't make that huge a difference to be honest. Especially for a beginner.
>>
>>7451701
You can always buy a gas burner.
>>
File: heat.png (432 KB, 700x800) Image search: [Google]
heat.png
432 KB, 700x800
>>7451719
what about the difference in heat dispersion?
aren't recipes normally written for gas stoves?

pic grill related
>>
File: fuck_this_im_out.png (88 KB, 300x192) Image search: [Google]
fuck_this_im_out.png
88 KB, 300x192
>move to new apartment
>corner apt so no neighbors
>newly renovated and cheap af rent
>everything is perfect except . . .

Fucking electric stove. I miss my gas stove so damn much. Evetytime I cook I reminisce about all the good times me and that stove had.

What's worse is I brought it up at work a while back and everyone prefers electric stoves because they think a gad stove will blow up. FUCK
>>
>>7451720
This, the cheap portable stoves like the one pictured are surprisingly powerful and controllable.
>>
>>7451701
If you're learning to cook it's not a big deal, you'll be just fine OP. More elaborate and involved meals will prove difficult, though
>>
Op, professional cook here. Sure a gas stove is ideal, but you can cook just fine with electric. I usually try to get a couple catering orders done from home every week on my days off from work. Does not change the food I put out much. Sometimes its a little slower but nothing detrimental.
>>
>>7451916
I hate paying a gas bill but god do I miss those BTUs.
>>
>>7451701
Dont listen to these edgelords OP. Electric is infinitely better and cheaper then gas. We aren't in the stone ages anymore.
>>
File: 1417563936725.jpg (36 KB, 374x347) Image search: [Google]
1417563936725.jpg
36 KB, 374x347
>>7451720
My kitchen only has an electric stove and no exhaust hood. Do I need proper ventilation to use one of these? Or will the gas make combustion products that will build up in my kitchen and kill me?
>>
>>7451701

>should I go get a gas stove?

If you can afford to go out and buy a fucking gas stove as well as have natural gas installed into your house, why not just take some damn cooking lessons?
>>
OP here

i'm currently moving so my case is
>>7451916

also the kitchen is usually so small that there is literally no space to put the portable gas stove down

what about induction stoves? those are good enough right?
>>
>>7451701

I've cooked for 15 years on electric stoves. They get the job done. I actually prefer them over gas but mostly because I'm used to them.
>>
>>7452041
Just buy a free-standing single or double induction field you fucking clown, put it next to or on your old electric. They cost almost nothing and you can move them around to keep your shit warm as well, nice to have on a table if you cook for others. Induction performs just as good as gas for almost everything a home cook needs to do (whereas old electric is a pain in the ass because of the stored heat primarily). Of course it's well known that induction also performs better on certain tasks than gas.

In fact if you wanted to, you could just buy a full 4-field induction top, put one of those stovetop protectors on the old electric and just run induction full-time on top of it. Installation is idiot-proof since you just put it in a socket.
>>
File: 1451482610000.png (12 KB, 266x220) Image search: [Google]
1451482610000.png
12 KB, 266x220
>>7452217
I would still prefer a gas stove because it's the only way to really use a wok. Also it's useful to be able to char things directly on the flame. Having access to gas also makes it convenient to commit suicide.
>>
>>7452258
Woks are a memepan
>>
>>7452258
>Having access to gas also makes it convenient to commit suicide
So you can... light yourself on fire?
>>
>>7452296
no. go BOOM
>>
>>7451701
Electric is garbage, whether you're experienced or not.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.