[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cooked: That new thing on Netflix
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: COOKED_VERTICAL_KEYART_US.0[1].jpg (171 KB, 800x1198) Image search: [Google]
COOKED_VERTICAL_KEYART_US.0[1].jpg
171 KB, 800x1198
Soup, /ck/.

I just finished watching all of these episodes, and I really enjoyed it.

He made some really great points about cooking, and the importance of it at home from both a social and cultural standpoint.

I think that by rooting his points with historical background, and science (anthro, sociology, biology, etc) it makes a firm base for the argument of food as a cultural institution instead of the industrial aspect of it as it has been since the introduction of processed foods.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>7449803
Should I watch this or Fuller House?
>>
I think we didn't need an entire fucking show to tell us that home cooking is better.
I couldn't finish the second episode.
Literally no reason for this to exist after everthing that already does.
>>
>>7449807

This one is only 4 episodes, so maybe you can watch this first? I wholly enjoyed it, but that's just my opinion.

The chick in Fuller House has a huge fuckin' rack though, so there's the appeal.
>>
>>7449811

I feel the same, and maybe this whole docuseries was redundant as fuck. However, at face value, I think this short series shed new light onto something that probably most of Americans have forgotten. I hate the sound of 'most Americans' because, hey, I'm most Americans. This doesn't take away though that there *has* been a decline in cooking, at least in a home life. I can't even begin to count the number of people who make the same tired joke of 'I can't even cook cereal LOL'. They laugh, and we laugh, but there's something really fucking sad about that. How can you not want to cook? How can you not make time for something that's so crucial to society and culture?
>>
>>7449807
I watched both.
Cooked was good and informative.
Fuller House... well, if you're not a rabid fan of its predecessor and enjoy Disney-sitcom-tier cornball/obvious "humour" then you're not going to enjoy it. At all. If you watched Full House, Fuller House is more of the same, but even cornier.
>>
>>7449828
America's going to shit, i'm genuinely thinking about leaving.
Universities are teaching full classes on SJW terms and trans equality.
Everyone's too stupid to care or too beta about things ruining society.
This country can't even watch foreign movies because subtitles move too fast and the chinky chinks talk funny.
I'm surprised anyone cooks at all still that isn't getting paid for it.
When my french gf moved here she couldn't fucking believe this shit.
>>
>>7449860
It's a really sad thing to see, man. I have family from out of the country that gripe about these kinds of things. I think though, that there are some areas that still hold on to these values. The sad part about it though, is that these places are typically lower class and primarily immigrants.

They cook, and stick together because of strong cultural ties that are still there from when they come to America. The problem, is these first generation Americans that are born and are force fed bullshit from day one. I know many people in my family that once they have children, the children don't want frijoles de la olla or dduk gook or whatever staple cuisine your culture brings simply because it's not McDonald's or something frozen. The culture is failing. The whole enculturation process brought by the media and the failing education system is what's ruining it for everyone. By the time these kids get the sense of what the world is, they've had their head too far up Tumblr's ass that all they give a shit about is whether or not someone will love them and accept the fact they like to take it up the ass. It's bullshit.

The home life, that's what's failing.

Fuck, man.
>>
pollan comes off as a bit of a blowhard that doesn't quite realize the various reasons WHY people have trouble cooking (even though he actually addresses them, mostly the time aspect with absolutely horrible american work ethics)
>>
>>7449803
>since the introduction of processed foods.
what the fuck is a 'processed food', exactly?
if you do anything except literally eat food off of a goddamn tree, you're eating 'processed food'. even if you pick an apple off a tree, and go so fucking far as to rinse the outside with water, that's technically 'processing'.

you fucking cockwads piss me off. same with people who are upset over 'chemicals' being added to foods, who want 'all natural' foods... what the fuck does that shit even mean?!? how the fuck do you get food that isn't 'natural' (literally: 'from nature')? from the fucking ayylmaos that teleported you some alpha centuri beeflmaos?
>>
>>7449893
That sort of reminds me that a fairly well-regarded German feminist said just a few years ago that American "feminists" see problems where there are none and that tumblr was a disgrace.
Many of them, she asserted, tell stories about rape or discrimination against women when they've experienced neither in their lifetime, that they fight for the sake of fighting and not for a real purpose, that they ignore the plight of women and other people who actually need a voice to speak for them in favour of making a photo series of people holding up signboards with vapid platitudes written on them and that they do nothing to actually advance the position of women in society and actually do more harm to that end-goal by making themselves and others into laughing stocks with their ridiculous and endless blogging about inane nothings.

I'm a feminist myself and I fucking HATE American feminists. I don't use the word lightly, but they're goddamn, dirty fucking cunts.
>>
>>7449914
Lmao stale as fuck bait. 2/10 for getting me to respond
>>
>>7449914
there's a clear difference between any processed food (deli meats, cakes, anything that needs to be ground, etc.) and what people talk about when they mean "processed food" so don't be a fucking smartass about it, when food has shit added to it to increase how addicting it is or make it last on the shelf for months more than it usually does. and to be fair there's a need for that because not every place can grow and feed it's own community properly but staying away from that food the majority of the time if you can is good for your health.
>>
>>7449914
Perhaps 'processed foods' is a bit of a misnomer. And in attempt to try and walk it back, I offer a bit of clarification.

When I wrote 'processed foods' I meant more specifically things like bleached flour, white sugar, corn syrup, etc. Things that were invented to make food cheaper, and faster.

I can stomach GMO's, and other means of making more "raw" ingredients, but the damage that has been done over the last 40-50 years by this so-called 'processed food' isn't something that even you can probably ignore, right?
>>
File: 03wmt-articleLarge.jpg (30 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
03wmt-articleLarge.jpg
30 KB, 600x400
>>7449914
>what the fuck is a 'processed food', exactly?
Just food.

Like how your mother's basement is really the same shit as a penthouse apartment. People shouldn't so so judgemental!
>>
>>7449807
Beyond the shitty political agenda, it was really slow paced. And it did try to copy the slow crisp slow motion the BBC Nature documentaries try to do.
Its fun.

>>7449811
The only important bit was what... industrial white flour is of questionable quality once looked properly at?
Beyond that, yeah, the message was that cooking is easy as fuck.
>>
>>7449919

What's the name of the feminist? I'd like to read some more of that stuff.

And what she says is true, the American's do just blow shit out of proportion for attention to themselves and their shitty blogs. I just don't get where the fuck it all went so wrong.
>>
>>7449934
>there's a clear difference between any processed food (deli meats, cakes, anything that needs to be ground, etc.) and what people talk about when they mean "processed food" so don't be a fucking smartass about it
no, there isn't a difference, and that's my point, you ignoramus.
>when food has shit added to it to increase how addicting it is or make it last on the shelf for months more than it usually does
so if i cure meat with salt, because it makes it 'more addicting' (read: tastier), and last for months longer than it would otherwise, am i 'processing' the food, according to your 'holistic' definition of the word?
>staying away from that food the majority of the time if you can is good for your health.
there is no evidence for this in general. of course you can pick out specific examples (transfats come to mind), but that doesn't mean that more 'processed' == less healthy. it's just wishful thinking by treehuggers like you
>>
File: teedus.jpg (8 KB, 251x182) Image search: [Google]
teedus.jpg
8 KB, 251x182
>>7449985

>just wishful thinking by treehuggers like you

i bet your mum makes all your food too
>>
are there any other /ck/ related viewing on netflix?

been bored and need something to watch
>>
>>7450020
yeah, go to the kitchen and turn on your stove.
>>
>>7450026
faggot
>>
>>7450020

chef's table
mind of a chef
good eats
and triple D if you don't mind that slob's eating

I'd start with Chef's Table if you want something inspiring, or at the very least interesting to watch.

Good Eats is like Bill Nye for cooking, but Alton Brown kind of has to grown on you I think.

Mind of a Chef is consistently interesting, but the first season kind of drags on. Second season is good for the first half, but the british chick in the second half is not too cool. Third season is GOAT.
>>
>>7450020

also Cooked is great if you haven't seen it.
>>
>>7450036
I've been watching Good Eats since I was a kid and I did see the first season of Mind of a Chef a while ago and liked it. DDD would seem interesting to me if it weren't for Guy being in it.

Will check out the others, though.
>>
>>7450067

There was this other documentary on there about Southern food, and how it came to be plus the effects of that type of diet on black people. That one was pretty interesting, if only for an hour. Can't remember the name of it though.
>>
>>7449803
>it makes a firm base for the argument of food as a cultural institution instead of the industrial aspect of it

This is a false dichotomy. The industrialization of food, and the consumption of foods produced by the food industry, are aspects of American culture. "Culture" isn't some pristine thing that exists separately from industry.
>>
>>7450095

I'll give you that. The wording of the argument needs improvement. The merit though, I think is at least something worth giving thought to. Could you perhaps word it better?

I guess where I'm trying to go is that before industrialization, which yes is a huge part of American culture, there was a period in where the American food culture was something other than Wonder Bread and Spam.

I may
>>
>>7450095
"People" are pristine things that don't live in factories.
>>
>>7449828
Yeah it's a sad thing for sure. Everyone in my immediate family can cook well and we ate dinner all together every day, around an actual dinner table. As a kid I honestly didn't understand at first that other families didn't do that. It was really great, and I really appreciate it now that I'm older.

Cooking/eating together at home is a huge deal not just culturally but within each family, and I really think that not doing that is a big problem.
>>
>>7449828
>How can you not want to cook?

People like different things. It's not some universally enjoyable pastime. It's basically manual labour and if you don't get anything out of it, why would you bother? It's the same reason some people do woodworking or knit sweaters.

Not everyone shares your values. Which is basically like saying "I don't care", but there's not much else to it. Your idea of culture might not matter to other people. It might not even matter to your kids some day. That's life.

Something is always "ruining society". Because people love to complain, especially when they can't do anything about it, now that launching crusades and forcibly spreading your culture is slightly more frowned upon.
>>
>>7450477
>if you don't get anything out of it

That's the thing, anon. You NEED to eat, and up until tendies and ramen are universally attainable, you needed to cook. Now people just slop on shit like hogs. If you can't cook, that's an instant red flag reflecting your character.
>>
File: Quiche.jpg (385 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Quiche.jpg
385 KB, 600x600
>>7450483
You exaggerate a lot, not everything is tendies and ramen. This wasn't really about the quality of pre-made food anyway.

>instant red flag

What is wrong with not cooking?
>>
>>7450502
Lack of character. Shows no drive for self-improvement, and acceptance of mediocre. Also, why the fuck are you here?
>>
>>7449828

I am the mother of a very young infant. I also work 50-60 hours a week in a demanding field. I breastfeed/pump. My husband and I are in the midst of buying a house, going to doctors' appointments, and trying to fulfill a busy schedule. We don't have time to cook - He's a software developer, so he can get bombarded with work.

When you're both working until sometimes literally the middle of the night, you don't always want your off time to be filled with messy shit like cooking that creates more chores. A lot of people here are coddled by their mothers as they dwell in the basement and have no other responsibilities.

Last night we had a delicious rosemary rib roast with creamer potatoes and chard. Tonight we were both so tired we had frozen pizza. Sometimes things are a means to an end.
>>
>>7449828
Americans don't cook their food? What do you guys eat?
>>
>>7450518
>Lack of character, Shows no drive for self-improvement
How does this relate to cooking specifically? And not any other hobby of yours that somebody else dislikes?

>acceptance of mediocre
Back on that again, huh.

>why the fuck are you here
Because I like to cook infrequently. I also like talking about food.
>>
>>7449985
There is a lot of evidence that sucrose and fructose added to most industrially processed prepared foods is extremely unhealthy. It is at least half of the cause of the global obesity epidemic, the other being sedentary lifestyles. The evidence is ridiculously overwhelming. Do you work for the US government by any chance?
>>
>>7450521
I'm glad you specified that the infant was very young. I would be concerned if you had an old infant
>>
>>7450576

As opposed to being closer to a year; older infant is a concept. Young infant < 6 months. In this case, two weeks.
>>
>>7450289
Dear God this. I never thought anything of it when I was at home, but now I'm at uni and everyone would rather microwave something and sit in front of some garbage on TV every single day.

Cooking and eating together is such a big deal when it comes to interpersonal relationships.
>>
>>7450537
It's not a quaint little hobby, it's literally a life skill. Go back to eating processed garbage.
>>
>>7450784
Can you prove that it is a life skill? Or can you explain exactly what you mean by life skill?

There is nothing wrong with food processing, stop being dumb.
>>
The reality is that people have never, and will never care about food.

All the fancy cuisine from India and China, hundreds of years of pissing about with spices, in the end it all solely amounts to "I need something to take the edge off this rotten, poor quality meat". That's what cooking is for 99% of people. A way to force down the nutrients you need without throwing up.

In modern society, you can just spend 2 cents pumping a rancid piece of meat with chemicals and bleach so it looks and tastes appetising. Nobody really does any cooking at home, aside from "baking", which really doesn't qualify.

If you put a bunch of processed sugar and chocolate onto a basic cookie or cake base, it'll taste good. It's not cooking, it's basic addition. Lots of fatty calories = tasty, and that's the only taste that the vast majority of people care about when it comes to food. Sure, sometimes you want something savory or sweet, but when it all comes down to it, you just want something that your brain says "eat more of".

The delusion that you should spend hours in the kitchen preparing shit is long gone, because nobody has time for that. A fridge full of ingredients is worthless in a week after they've all gone off, while a ready meal will last months.
>>
>>7449803
Is he trying to roll out cooked bread?
>>
>>7450782
>Cooking and eating together is such a big deal when it comes to interpersonal relationships.

This. Especially family relationships. You don't have to spend hours cooking or make some huge feast every night but making food for your family and eating it together is hugely important.
>>
>>7450853
Yeah it definitely is not efficient to cook at home from a global point of view. In a perfectly efficient world, long lasting sustainable food would be produced by factories only, no one would cook, the food would be similar to solvent and eating would just be a simple chore. That's not very fun though and will never be the norm unless our lives depend on it.

>people don't care about food
I think a good point to take away from this show is that people generally don't care about anything outside of consuming anymore. It's not just food, people lead very uninspiring lives nowadays.

I guess the people who do care about things, food especially, should take advantage of it while they can. There's no stopping global population growth unless a disease wipes out half the human race.
>>
>>7450867

He's cooking the bread with his magical cooking pin
>>
>>7450947
I feel foolish now for asking
>>
>>7450945

>I think a good point to take away from this show is that people generally don't care about anything outside of consuming anymore. It's not just food, people lead very uninspiring lives nowadays.

Sad, but you got it on point. I'm still just wondering where it all went so wrong.
>>
>>7451436
I blame anime, personally.
>>
>>7451482

I think the flaw is thinking that there's one big thing that would be the reason why everything went wrong, when it's probably a plethora of individual factors coming from a wide range of areas on a social, economic, and cultural basis.

Anime might be just it though.
>>
>>7449803
You should watch The Mind of A Chef by PBS. It's really good also.

It's narrated by Anthony Bourdain and it's about chef's cheffy cool shit.
>>
>>7451968
>edgelords implying something is 'wrong' with society today
Newsflash: if anything outside of technology or raw science is your passion (ie. Food) you're an idiot.
>>
>>7451993
>S T E M
>T
>E
>M
>>
File: 1272059231481.gif (6 KB, 446x361) Image search: [Google]
1272059231481.gif
6 KB, 446x361
>>7451993

What the hell isn't science about Cultural Anthropology or Biology?

You can't be serious.
>>
>>7449803
Overall it was excellent. The only hiccup was them trying to explain how a vegetarian ape evolved into a carnivore human.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.