[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bakers of /ck/, I work in the bakery of a small grocery store
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160303_181459_01.jpg (231 KB, 1171x1560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160303_181459_01.jpg
231 KB, 1171x1560
Bakers of /ck/, I work in the bakery of a small grocery store (not a chain) in a lower class neighborhood. We have no stovetop, but a good proofer and five rack oven. Our bread comes frozen. I have Carte Blanche with the items I pull from the shelf to use in things I make, so long as I can make the costs back in profits. I've taken the dept from -$1000/mo to -$50. Any ideas on simple recipes to finish getting into the black?
>>
>>7442957
I dunno. What items sell well in your store or in the area? Poor people like donuts and coffee but you can't bake those. Is this in Europe or what?
>>
>>7442976
Southern Louisiana. I've exploited Tony Chacheres seasoning to its limit, but seafood like crawfish does well. Savory stuffed breads with Meat and cheese do well for a lunch crowd.
>>
>>7443004
When I was living in Baton Rouge I'd always head over to the local market and grab some lemon catfish and rice dressing, plus maybe a kolache but it was always an afterthought. The savory stuff kept me going back there instead of ever shopping at walmart or whole foods, and every time I'd walk towards the bakery I'd immediately see the meat section and wander over there instead.

I'd stick to the lunch crowd - maybe make some crawfish bites or boudin balls?
>>
More meatpie, OP. It's time to bring them to the states
>>
>>7442957
I'd suggest you check out early 1900 recipes for "fancy bread".

They are basically flavored bread (usually with sugar or spice and/or dried fruits). It is very easy to make, basically just bread with few extra ingredients.

If you have a dough mixer and a very good proofer you can also attempt to make Chinese style sweet buns. They are fermented flour buns, very light, slightly sweet, and just adorable looking.
>>
>>7443119
http://lonehand.com/victorian_bread_recipes.htm

Here are some fancy breads

also for inspiration check out this program by BBC, documenting bakers from late medieval age to post industrial revolution. If you have only simply mass producing tools, this program is your bible. Things were done before, history is important. Learn from it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06whlnx
>>
>>7443119
>>7443124

Furthermore, you can make simple layered cakes with your equipments.

All you need is to bake the cake sponges, then add fruits and cream in between layers.

So many possibilities and I'm not even a fucking chef and I can think of this many. Bro... history, learn history. It is the literally accumulation of human knowledge.
>>
>>7443119
>>7443124
>>7443127

Also don't underestimate well made actual breads. There are so many types and from so many cultures.

With such a huge oven and in a working class neighborhood. I recommend making some Chinese style Green Onion "Pancakes".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ipCpZO_WgU

This video is pretty good guide, but since he is using a pan and you are using oven. All you need to do is to just spread enough fat on the outside of the bread so it will bake to a crisp (also rotate them half way).

It smells wonderful from all the green onion and tastes savory. Since the bread is not fermented they are dense, chewy, and filling. Great for a working class neighborhood. Not to mention having something orient, you can charge a slight premium.
>>
>>7443119
>>7443124
>>7443127
>>7443138

For marketing, you can have a "fresh out of the oven" hour, daily.

You time your bakery so that the bread come out of the oven at that time period. You charge a premium for the product due to their freshness.

Also you attract customers to wait for the new product, thus, they will smell the wonderful smell of freshly baked bread. Once you smell that, you get addicted to it. And they will come back and they will bring their friends and families.

Also if your kitchen's a good size, don't hesitate to recommend a "bring your child to learn baking" event. Do it like a community service, but actually marketing and PR in disguise. You convince the manager of the store to find some local school or community center or even local municipality as your partner. That way you can plaster your store's name all over the city and call yourself a "company that cares".

You attract customers and builds a loyal and growing customer base. Not to mention such community events will bring more people to the store overall.

Bruh, I charge a premium as a consultant. Be grateful.
>>
>>7443119
>>7443124
>>7443127
>>7443138
>>7443152

If you want more detailed and more precised demographically targetted strategies. Post your actual location. Leave the statistics to me.
>>
>>7443119
>>7443124
>>7443127
>>7443138
>>7443152
>>7443155

As a closing word, you have AN OVEN, not a bread oven. You can make anything that can be made in an oven. From roast meats to pie. Keep an open mind, if the store has meat on the verge of expiring, make roasts from them.

You can even make pulled meat sandwiches occasionally. As long as they taste good, people will buy it (with enough marketing).
>>
>>7443068
Good ideas, I'll try to make them bread related so as to get them under the bakery's $$.

>>7443119
>>7443124
>>7443127
>>7443138
>>7443152
>>7443155
>>7443172
There's some good knowledge there, sir, I'm not ungrateful.
>>
I'm also going to keep this advice, as I am in a similar situation as OP.

Thank you, consultant anon.
>>
>>7443155
Actually, how specific do you want? Just city, state or specific neighborhood?
>>
>>7442957
If you're in a lower class neighbourhood, keep it up with baking sugary things like doughnuts. I assume by "lower class" you mean "nigger", and niggers aren't going to care about your cracked caraway seed pumpernickel or butter glazed challah. They wanna roll in, get a bunch of sugary shit, and hit up the liquor store.
>>
>>7443482
Obviously, that's what OP meant
>>
>>7442957

Well when I look at this shelf of offerings I see alot of Doughnuts. With Green and Pink Frosting. And that puts me off.

My eyes are more drawn to the Cinnamon buns if I was going to get anything.

I suggest you stop making alot of doughnuts and just stick to one or two types with basic frosting.

Then add a Brownie with Chocolate Frosting. That will make all the girls wet for it and they will have to buy it.

Then add some type of Cookies.

These small changes should put you into the profit then you can fine tune your recipes and try other stuff later.
>>
You should see what Brazilians put on their pizza. It's fucking gross
>>
>>7444070
Sorry guys, wrong thread. My bad.
>>
>>7444032
Thank you, anon. I have been thinking of scaling back for just such reasons myself.

>>7444070
Unrelated, but I agree.
>>
>>7442957

grocery near me does a bang up bakery business with fresh hot rolls , empanadas and hot case stuff like chicken skewers and sausage rolls etc. as well as sweets.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.