[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just moved to NYC from South Africa. Why do I have to pay tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: 101010.jpg (13 KB, 354x341) Image search: [Google]
101010.jpg
13 KB, 354x341
Just moved to NYC from South Africa. Why do I have to pay tips to restaurant staff. I get the general concept, I just don't get why I have to subsidize the staff for the owner not paying enough. Even at upscale restaurant this is the norm here. Why do people put up with this?
>>
>why do I have to adopt societal/cultural norms of a country I've just moved to?

Perhaps moving to Europe would be more suiting. They'll bend over backwards to let you do what you want there
>>
>>7441249
Because they are not only kaffirs
>>
>>7441259
I am not saying I am unwilling to adopt. The concept is they don't make enough so you tip, so why do you also tip at upscale restaurants?
>>
>tipping thread #56345635354643

Because it's the culture, fuckwad.

Suck it up or go back home.
>>
>>7441265
No, the concept is the wait staff works for you AND the restaurant. It's in your favor take advantage. There are many perks that come with being a good tipper.
>>
File: 1451858011281.jpg (21 KB, 449x302) Image search: [Google]
1451858011281.jpg
21 KB, 449x302
>That'll be $19.95 plus mandatory 25% tip

Such is life in America.
>>
What can you tell me about the jackrolling fad, op? Do you think it will ever hit big in america?
>>
Please end yourself
>>
Americans just love being fucked in the ass. Don't worry, OP. You'll get used to it.
>>
There is literally no reason why delivery guys deserve a tip.

Debate me.
>>
>>7441278
What perks? You don't tip when you arrive. You tip when you are leaving. Good or bad tipping makes no difference to your service unless you are a regular. Here's a good tip. Get a better ducking job. Waiting bussing, and cooking are for young people and immigrants.
>>
>>7441307
Fuck you, autocorrect!
>>
>can't think of anything else for the topic of a thread about my obsession with america
>fall back on tipping

These threads are pure shitposting and should be deleted on sight.
>>
>>7441303
Actually I believe delivery guys are the one job who deserve tips. They're using their personal vehicle, and their company usually does not reimburse them for wear and tear. Your tips help them maintain their main source of income.
But now delivery fees, that's bullshit.
>>
Just add the tip to the food price. If you think you payed too much neverr return
>>
>>7441314
>They're using their personal vehicle, and their company usually does not reimburse them for wear and tear

That is not my responsibility. Next.
>>
>>7441249
Same thing with delivery drivers, why do we have to pay for them doing their job >.>
>>
>>7441314
The delivery fee goes towards vehicle maintenance
>>
>>7441331
Nigs don't tip lmao
>>
>>7441307
>unless you're a regular
if you're not a regular than it doesn't matter. restaurants make all their money on repeat customers. Plus, word of mouth goes both ways. If you think the staff isn't talking when you're gone you're a fucking fool.
>>
File: kablam pizza.png (228 KB, 483x297) Image search: [Google]
kablam pizza.png
228 KB, 483x297
>>7441282
>that'll be $19.95 + jizya
such is life in europe
>>
Eh, I lived in America (Chicago mainly) for four months while doing some PhD shit. I never ever tipped since I don't believe in it, got some dirty looks but lmao who cares. Had a great time there.
>>
>>7441317
this should be a main selling point for a restaurant, never seen it done though
>>
>>7441390
the food mafia probably spit in your food if you ever went to the same restaurant twice.
>>
>>7441413

Well that tells more about them than me, didn't catch any saliva on my food so I guess we'll never know.
>>
>>7441307
Just tell em if you get good service you'll tip well
>>
Why is Burgerclapistan so backwards? In my Third World country, medium and high class restaurants charge 10% of the bill and divvy up to all of the staff, not just the waiters. This charge is clearly indicated on signs infront of the shop and also included on the receipt. If you don't want to pay this service charge, you can go to lower class restaurants that don't charge it but you still don't have to tip.
>>
>>7441373
>restaurants make all their money on repeat customers
No, they make all their money on high-margin menu items.

Or in the case of fast food restaurants, they make all their money on the volume of low-margin menu items they sell.
>>
>>7441469
shut the fuck up you rotten cunt
>>
>>7441384
>dollars

Other than that, still retarded. Americlap in action.
>>
>>7441469

Don't forget the massive amount of money that many restaurants make off of alcohol.
>>
It's irritating but not onerous enough to change. You'd be hard-pressed to find an issue of lower priority to politicians than labor reform regarding tipping.

There's not much impetus for change. You have a lot of people who don't realize tipping isn't a practice in other countries. You have others that say it's a good thing because it encourages better customer service. That's more or less bullshit but it's a free country and they can have their opinion. Restaurant owners like it because they outsource some of the labor cost to the customers. Attractive and extroverted service staff like it because depending on where and when they work they could potentially make a lot more than they could on minimum or living wage. Service workers who don't like it don't have any kind of voice to change the system.

I don't like the practice but I know it's not going anywhere. I read about a trend in certain high end restaurants to request that patrons not tip, but that's the minority. I always just tip 15%. I can understand the obsession with trying to make the US look like an absurdist dystopia. If you look at every country on earth, though, you can find practices that look silly and unnecessary to outsiders but the locals don't give much thought.
>>
>>7441318
No one cares enough about what you think to debate you, faggot.
>>
>>7441249
consider it the not getting shot by hardworking black men tax

this is pretty unusual coming from the US but you are a special exception
>>
Just give the jews their money, then they'll leave you alone. It's not that difficult.
>>
>>7441391
The fuck? Plenty of places add "gratuity" to the bill. Frankly it's annoying, and would work better if it were transparent to customers
>>
File: Amerian_tipping_culture.jpg (115 KB, 1808x336) Image search: [Google]
Amerian_tipping_culture.jpg
115 KB, 1808x336
>tipping is mandatory in the US
>>
File: 1414321731402.png (351 KB, 500x675) Image search: [Google]
1414321731402.png
351 KB, 500x675
>>7441264
underrated post.
>>
>>7441249
American tipping culture is a holdover from the post-slavery era. At the time, all service workers were black, or non-white, and business owners did not feel it appropriate to pay wages to low status people and freed slaves. Restaurants are one of the last service industry occupations in which tipping is still the norm. It will probably be gone within 20 years. I think it's embarrassing. People should be paid by their bosses for doing their jobs. They should get raises for being good at their jobs, and fired if they suck at them.
>>
>>7442021
>obvious bait
>>
ITT: Buttmad kikes
>>
>>7441249
People in North America have to actually work for their money instead of being handed everything they may or may not deserve by the gubmint.
>>
>>7442450
>People in North America have to actually work for their money instead of being handed everything
>Give me free money for doing my job
>>
>>7442466
>how dare you ask for money for providing me a service
By that logic getting paid at all is "Free money for doing my job"
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.