[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most vegetarian friendly cuisines? From experience I think Indian,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Fried-Tofu.jpg (78 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Fried-Tofu.jpg
78 KB, 800x533
Most vegetarian friendly cuisines?

From experience I think Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Greek/Turkish/Middle Eastern (they all sort of blend into one really), Italian and Thai.
>>
>>7441135
>thai
Not really because fish sauce and shrimp paste.
>>
>>7441135
Mediterranean has close to zero meat. It does have a lot of dairy and eggs though. Jewish cuisine has non-meat substitutes for everything because of dietary rules.
>>
>>7441135
>Most vegetarian friendly cuisines?

Indian, because Hindus.
Thai, because Buddhists.
>>
>>7441228
Hindus aren't vegetarian, they just don't eat beef.
>>
>>7441238
>Hindus aren't vegetarian

A very large number of them are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_in_Hinduism#Vegetarian_Hindus
>>
>>7441228
>>7441238
Buddhists aren't necessarily vegetarian either

The temples where I live have food markets every Sunday and there's tons of meat.
>>
>>7441247
Yeah I know, but statistically you're still more likely to find vegetarians in large Buddhist & Hindu populations than elsewhere, and they've been doing it for a long enough time that they have some damn fine dishes.
>>
>>7441243
Believe it or not, those numbers tend to be inflated. Nearly all Jains and half of all Brahmins are vegetarian, this is true, and they make up a large chunk of Indian Hindus who are willfully vegetarian. However, put together, those groups amount to less than 10% of the total population, with about 7% being both a member of those groups as well as vegetarian.
Choosing to be vegetarian among the Kshatriya, Vaishya and Shudra isn't nearly as common as among the Brahmins or Jains. Some Sikhs choose to be vegetarian for reasons of their personal interpretations of the Granth Sahib and Nanak's teachings, but that's not all that common, either (although all Gurdwara exclusively offer vegetarian food as prasadam because the religion is about unity even with non-Sikhs and they wouldn't wish to offend those who do not eat meat). Buddhists are even less commonly vegetarian than Sikhs.

Muslims, Christians, Bahai'is, Zoroastrians and followers of other non-karmic religions found in today's India don't tend to be vegetarian at all. And that's not to mention the growing shift of younger populations towards atheism and naastika (just sixteen years ago, over 90% of India declared themselves as religious compared to 82% today).

At most, about 25% of the population is willfully vegetarian with another 4-5% or so defacto vegetarian by circumstance who I guarantee you would eat some KFC at first opportunity.
That number ain't nothing to sneeze at, don't get me wrong, but I've seen white people claim dumb shit like "most of India is vegetarian!!!" or "Hindus are vegetarian!!!" and stuff like that without knowing what in the fuck they're talking about.
>>
>>7441247
There is a large cuisine exclusively for Bhuddist monks. Their food rules are the most strict I think. They are not allowed to eat any meat or extreme flavors. So also no garlic and onions etc. I think it's called Shrine food or something, like I said, only monks in a monestary eat like this. Plenty of good recepies though. Especially in Japanese cuisine. Korean cuisine also has a lot of vegetarian dishes.
>>
>>7441437

Some Buddhist sects are strict about being vegetarian, but you need to understand that their definition of "vegetarian" is not the same as the western definition. They are not allowed to eat land animals, such as cows, pigs, or chickens. However they can and do eat dairy products as well as anything from the sea. Fish and shellfish don't count as "meat" according to the Buddhist doctrine.

In some parts of Asia, such as Thailand, monks cannot eat meat that was killed specifically for them. However, if the animal was slaughtered for another purpose then they can and do eat it.
>>
>>7441477
ah cool, didnt know that.

This is a really good Japanese dish btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NUlH1M_CKY
>>
>>7441215
>Mediterranean has close to zero meat.
what a retard
>>
File: 1455232167351.png (112 KB, 964x557) Image search: [Google]
1455232167351.png
112 KB, 964x557
>>7441484
>"Wook's" Food Odyssey
>program is in Korean
>food is Japanese
just what the fuck
>>
>>7441135
Japanese is far more than most people think - problem is all the dummys who think Japanese=sushi.
>>
>>7441509
how is that weird? So if a British food show does an Italian dish you lose the plot?
>>
>>7441607
it's probably that same idiot who freaks out at "kenji-alt-lopez" or whatever that guy's name is

sheltered 12 year olds expect everything to fall neatly into the schema they were shown in the picture-books in grade school and when things don't come out that way in real life they think an adult is pulling their leg
>>
>>7441484
his show is great btw he has some great recepies
>>
>>7441477
I don't know about Thailand, but in Cambodia, the tradition is that monks stay in the monastery/temple during summer months, coming out again a month after the equinox. I don't really understand the whole reason, but as a kid, it was explained that it had something to do with not hurting bugs or something like that idklol
Anyway, on the day they leave the temple again, everyone gives the monks gifts, usually new robes and homemade food with meat because they're not allowed to eat meat while in the temple/monastery and they live mostly off rice and pickles.
>>
Any place where there's Buddhism, Sikhs or Orthodox Christianity will have some decent vegetarian dishes. Orthodox Christians Lenten fast forces them to eat vegan for over a month, so they've worked out a bunch of good vegan recipes for Lent. And while different branches of Buddhism have different rules generally temple cooking is vegetarian, so there is a tradition of vegetarian cooking there as well. Sikhs love meat, but have a whole tradition of vegetarian cooking for the meals they share at their temples.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.