[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Visiting Chicago for the first time next week /ck/. Recommendations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: historyOfChicagoDog[1].jpg (29 KB, 492x336) Image search: [Google]
historyOfChicagoDog[1].jpg
29 KB, 492x336
Visiting Chicago for the first time next week /ck/. Recommendations? Where to eat? What to do?
>>
File: dbs6zq.jpg (30 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
dbs6zq.jpg
30 KB, 600x450
The Carriage House for breakfast
Patio for Italian beef and Chicago dogs
Molly's Cupcakes for a sweet treat (get the Ron Bennington, trust me)
>>
>>7438085

Thanks anon, looks great. It seems like Carriage House changed to Buck's from what I just checked. Still good?
>>
>>7438075
Pizzaria Uno or Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza

They aren't my favorite but you'll have an easier time finding them than my favorite hole in a wall shop. Still really good pizza though.
Also listen to this anon
>>7438085
get hella italian beef, dont skimp on sweet peppers or giardinara either.
>>
>>7438096

My friends are taking me to Pequod's for deep dish. And I always hear about Giordano's. How are those?
>>
>>7438094
Damn, I was out West the past few years. Apparently the chef left, so I would skip Buck's, since it won't be the same.

Don't forget to check out Eataly. I've never been there myself, but it looks incredible. Also, if you can, try to eat at one of Rick Bayless's restaurants.
>>
>>7438117
Giordanos is my least favorite
>>
>>7438075
What part of Chicago?
>>
>>7438075
wendys
>>
>>7438075
There are two shake shacks, if you haven't yet had shake shack and don't live near NYC then please try it.

I can't say what the best deep dish is, I've had Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, Uno's (not in Chicago but whatever), Pizano's, Chicago's, and Nancy's, I think that's it. Uno's was my favorite. Lou Malnati's is very heavily cheesy, Nancy's is one of the betters but it's in Lakeview so I don't know if you'll get there.

Seconding Eataly, it's near Shake Shack. You can also find an Eataly in NYC though.

I went on a Chicago dog quest and the best Chicago dog that my friend and I could find was Gold Coast Dogs.

Everyone says to try Al's Italian Beef, I haven't yet so can't speak to it.

Ramen-san is the best ramen I've had in Chicago, I'm looking to try Hi-five ramen though. I've also had Jinya and Slurping Turtle.

If you're going for longer than a few days then I recommend going to Mariano's grocer, they give out free samples and it's nice.

I like Nafnaf grill for falafel, but I haven't tried much else. Oasis is pretty okay too. Nafnaf is like Chipotle but for falafel/schwarma. Protein Bar is also something great that isn't found everywhere.

Stan's Donuts is really nice, so is Do-Rite Donuts.

Not that I recommend this, but there's a really fancy McDonalds in River North (I think it's on/around ohio st) that sells baklava and has a history display on the interior. There's also a really creepy bronze statue of Ronald on a unicycle out front.

Dylan's Candy Bar is right over the bridge, in the Tribune building. There's also a Ghiradelli and a Hershey's store up Michigan ave by the water tower.

That's all I can think of. There's shit to do at Navy Pier too. Definitely go to Millennium Park/Grant Park/Maggie Daley Park, lots of touristy stuff. The AIC has more modern art (There's a Van Gogh exhibit there now) but is kind of expensive to get into. There's a cool picasso statue that you can climb on I think at the corner of randolph and washington
>>
Rose Angelis and Mia Francesca are good for Italian - they are both in the Lincoln Park/Lakeview area. Mixteco, also in Lakeview, is good for their mole. Cumin, which is in Wicker Park, is good for Indian. If you like gimmicky restaurants, there's the Weiner Circle in Lincoln park, where the black employees yell and curse at you. They sell hamburgers and hotdogs there and a lot of people like them, but I think their cheese tastes like sand.
>>
>>7440030

Hey how was Jinya? I live kinda close to it but it seems too expensive to be worth it
>>
Budacki's on Damen. Best double cheeseburger you will ever have.
>>
File: redhotranch.jpg (53 KB, 610x458) Image search: [Google]
redhotranch.jpg
53 KB, 610x458
>>7440045
>>7440030
y'all need to try to redhot ranch's double cheeseburger. budacki's is pretty good though.
>>
>>7438075

I'm to understand that Chicago makes a delightful casserole with pizza ingredients.
>>
>>7438075
If you go near the south side. Try Harold's chicken. Good friend chicken. I'd recommend the one on 53rd Street and Woodlawn. It was right by my uni
>>
>>7438075
>what to do?
Run through Englewood screaming, "White power White power"
>>
>>7440276
I think I was wait-listed at your university, if it's the one I'm thinking of.
>>
>>7441145
University of Chicago? I got in early admission. But hey got into that and not UCLA
>>
Chicago is a great city with great restaurants. Go to them. Avoid all the trash the locals crow about. Hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches and bad pizza will only let you down. If your heart is really set on eating delicious trash go find a soul food restaurant. Otherwise take advantage of the fact that Chicago has real fine dining and real Mediterranean, Indian and New American restaurants. It's a real city. Don't waste your time there eating garbage.
>>
OP here, thanks for all the recommendations guys, I'm pretty excited. I'll be there for a week.

>>7439811
Not too sure, but I was hoping to cover some ground due to the length of my stay.

>>7441392
Do you have anything specific to recommend?
>>
>>7438117
pequods is great. usually the city rated lou malnatis as the best deep dish with pequods in second. pequods has a pretty sizable following that claim it is the best deep dish. personally i think they are both very different but utterly delicious
>>
shake shake is a decent burger, its not really that special. Als italian beef is like the giordanos of italian beef- its basic as hell and theres really nothing special about it at all. if you want a great burger, personally my favorite place in the city is DMK, which is usually rated the second best burger in the city. the #1 is kuma's corner, I went there once and thought it was over rated, but i mean it was still good. if you want italian beef try portillos. everyone obsesses over portillos. i havent been there in a really long time so i cant vouch for it though.
>>
>>7441392
Don't listen to this. If you've never had it, you should definitely get some chicago style pizza. It's worth experiencing at the very least
>>
>>7443014
>kuma's is overrated

agreed.
>>
>>7438075
you go to Chicago, you get the deep-dish pizza, yes?
don't let anyone tell you to go to Giordano's. it's good, alright. it's fine.

but the good good shit is at Gino's East. any location will do, there's about six in the city. but don't cheat yourself real, good deep-dish pizza by eating Giordano's instead of Gino's. any Chicago native could tell you you're making a big mistake.

also, if you like sushi, there's an AMAZING upscale place called Sushi Dokku on W. Randolph. the owner changed the name to Sushi Dokku from Sushi Wabi - under its previous name it won all sorts of awards including best sushi in the city. everything is imported daily. definitely worth the price. only open for dinner and closed Mondays.
>>
>>7443014
POOOORTIIIIIIILLOOOOOOOOS
my nig
>>
>>7443016
Just my experience. The first couple times I went to Chicago I went to all the places the locals told me I had to eat at, and went home thinking Chicago food was garbage. Then I said, "Fuck it, this is a major city, there has to be some good stuff here." So on my next visit I just struck out on my own, and sure enough I found great restaurants. None of them were serving pizza, hot dogs or Italian beef sandwiches, though. Seriously, it's like going to the state fair and everyone telling you you have to have deep fried Oreos or pickles.The simple answer is no, you don't need to eat that crap. It may be novel, but it isn't that good.
>>7442986
Last time I was there I had good Indian food at Gaylord India restaurant and delicious Lebanese at a place called Taste of Lebanon. There were a few other places I went, but those are the two I remember.
>>
Portillos for a cake shake and a combo
>>
>>7441223
I got into NYU and The College of William and Mary, but not University of Chicago or Reed. Who fucking knows how that shit works?
>>
I went there for a frat thing in college. The best pizza with this little hole in the wall. We had to walk up some stairs and the room had huge mirrors in it. The pizza was like lasagna. It was amazing. There were 8 of us and we ordered 3 pizzas and took 2 back to our hotel. We were drunk so I dont remember the place which kills me. I think it started with an M.
>>
>>7443301
There is your Chicago pizza endorsement: drunk frat boys who won't even remember where they were love the shit out of it.
>>
>>7443308

Dont be jelly
>>
>>7443314
If I considered something like that a high point in my life I'd have killed myself a long time ago.
>>
>>7438075
PIZZA
I
Z
Z
A
>>
>>7443340
Good thing you've never had a single high point. It would be a shame for you to kill yourself.
>>
>>7438075
Manny's deli is dank get a reuban
>>
>>7440041
Sorry for the late reply.

Jinya is good to try, they seem more authentic than something like ramen-san or slurping turtle. The draw is the a la carte shit, you can basically make ramen any way you want. Look up the menu!

Honestly speaking if I didn't live close to it I probably wouldn't have tried it yet. I had Sakura's ramen too recently (it's a bit further west down Diversey, like a block down from the Nando's/Trader Joes) and that was pretty acceptable.

It is expensive though. I think the cheapest bowl is around $12.
>>
>>7440119
Could you evaluate it up against Shake Shack? That's my current """"best burger""""" and I'd like to know how it measures up.
>>
>>7438117
Giordano's is okay for their deep dish, though Juliani's has the original recipe so it's tastier.
>>
>>7438094
If you're near one of the places, Ann Sather's has a killer Swedish breakfast and the best cinnamon rolls on planet earth.
>>
>>7440030
Have you tried Strings in Chinatown yet? Best ramen I've had in the city hands-down, oden to die for. A bit pricey but worth it.
>>
>>7438075
Remember: it's considered an insult in Chicago to not order your hot dog with ketchup. Tell 'em to really slather it on and you'll pass for a local.
>>
>>7443018
Third. Only things I will say about them is that their house ketchup is ballin and the Lair of the Minotaur burger is absolute perfection. Everything else, definitely overrated.
>>
>>7443621
It's on my list! Almost ate there when I was there for the Lunar New Year but didn't have the funds for it. You're not the first person to tell me this. Thank you for the recommendation.
>>
>>7438117
Pequods is very good. Can get pretty packed, so that's the only thing to worry about.

Realistically unless you're going to some shithole any deep dish you get is going to be fairly similar, especially to someone who hasn't had it before. Giordano's, Pequods, Lou Malnati's. All are pretty good.
>>
Can't believe nobody has recommended Flub-a-Dub-Chub for burgers yet.
>>
>>7443505
thanks for reminding me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wusGIl3v044
>>
>>7443014
>>7443045
I've put this forward to a lot of my friends, and all who have tried it have agreed. Try a piece of Portillo's beef without anything on it. No giard, no bread, no cheese, just beef. It tastes like absolute dick.

Believe me I'm not a snob about this Chicago specific shit, but fuck Portillo's. Get anything else.
>>
>>7443095
If you're from a flyover state or some non-metropolitan area, OP, then I agree with this guy. Go for different stuff, rather than Chicago specific. Otherwise at least give the beef and pizza a shot.
>>
>>7443707
Nah i'm from Texas and lived in Austin and Houston. I like pretty much everything so I think I will go at least once for the novelty foods.

Anyways thanks for the help y'all! I wouldn't mind more suggestions either, including stuff to do besides eat!
>>
*niggers
>>
File: 1434632958833.jpg (37 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1434632958833.jpg
37 KB, 400x386
>>7444181
>y'all
>>
>>7438075
Try dough bro's pizza if you're not a fan of Chicago style. Best New York style pizza I've ever had. Also, the billy goat tavern is great if you want a quick, cheap lunch.
Portillos is definitely worth a trip too
>>
File: Chicago.png (1 MB, 1366x850) Image search: [Google]
Chicago.png
1 MB, 1366x850
Anything at all worthwhile in the northern suburbs?
>>
>Burgers
Billy Goat Tavern
Kuma's Corner
Paradise Pup

>Asian
Slurping Turtle
Opart Thai House

>Pizza / Italian
Pequod's

>Expensive as fuck
The Signature Room on the 95th Floor of the John Hancock Building

>General dining areas
MB Financial Park in Rosemont

Personally slurping turtle is my all time favorite restaurant.

>>7444329
Evanston is a fun place to go. Its kind of a college town. There's a great restaurant district and its right on the beach. Lots of outdoor art as well.
>>
>>7443243
Idk about Reed but UoC is a way better school than the two you mentioned
>>
>>7444295
I hoped that would trigger someone.
>>
>>7443243

>didn't get into reed

Fucking normies.
>>
>>7440033
Their food is pretty good but if you go to the Weiner Circle you definitely have to get a chocolate milkshake. I don't know how they do it but it's delicious.
It's pretty expensive but you get like a bucket full so you might want to go with your mates or take it home so you can drink it in stages
>>
>>7443707
My point is that many towns have traditional junk food associated with them (Skyline chili, Philly cheesesteak, NYC pizza and dirty water dogs). This stuff was probably much more exciting back when junk food itself was a novelty. Today every town has chain pizza joints, sub shops and other junk food places.

Deep dish pizza was probably really exciting 50 years ago for someone who grew up in a place where there weren't any pizza joints. But it's not really so much of a big deal if you grew up with Pizza Hut's take on the same idea.

A city like Chicago is big, diverse and wealthy enough to have many good restaurants. You'll miss them if you spend your time chasing down the "classic" junk food dishes that turn out to be not all that different from the junk food you can get at home.
>>
>Beef sandwich
>Deep Dish
>Chicago hot dog
That's about it OP.
>>
>>7444467

You sound like you've never even been to Chicago.
>>
File: slide-pull-1.jpg (963 KB, 1100x583) Image search: [Google]
slide-pull-1.jpg
963 KB, 1100x583
>>7444463
>Comparing Deep Dish to pizza hut
>>
File: 1391397099996.jpg (548 KB, 1099x662) Image search: [Google]
1391397099996.jpg
548 KB, 1099x662
>>7444475
>Live in Chicago
>Grew up by Chicago
>Entire family in Chicago
>Posting from Chicago
ok anon
>>
>>7444482

Are we supposed to feel sad for you?
>>
>>7444463
pizza hut is pan, not deep dish
aka detroit, not chicago
>>
>>7444463
The thing is the "junk" food tends to be uniquely good to that city where as if you're going to a typical restaurant serving a different country's food, its going to taste about the same as in in other major city and definitely inferior to the real thing. Cheesesteaks are better in Philly, Deep dish is better in Chicago, and NY style pizza is better in NYC. People try and recreate them but they're always a little bit off to really off. The sushi you're going to get at a mid to high end place in NYC is going to be the same as in Chicago or LA. The main difference between those cities is the number of restaurants, but either way they'll all be inferior to what you would find in Tokyo.

If you travel to a place regularly then of course its dumb to exclusively eat the famous food and Chicago has a lot of stuff outside of that, but if you're a tourist visiting for the first and possibly only time its dumb to not try the foods the city is actually famous for.
>>
>>7444510
None of it is real pizza anyway.
>>
>>7444546
>if you're a tourist visiting for the first and possibly only time its dumb to not try the foods the city is actually famous for.
Agreed. It's just good to keep in mind that many of the foods cities became famous for during the 20th Century arose from Depression era ingenuity,the need to provide a big lunch for blue collar workers and postwar excess. By modern standards these dishes are almost always a comically huge blast of fat, salt and white carbs. They're the tasty garbage dishes the working class ate before McDonald's came along and standardized fast food.

I wouldn't argue against the deliciousness of this stuff (except for Skyline chili, which is awful). I'm just saying if you're in a world class city with world class restaurants it might be a better use of your time if you're really into food to check out what the chefs in that city are doing at their restaurants instead of chasing down the junk food of a bygone era. At least that was the case for me. Last century's junk food turned out to be much less interesting than what chefs at real restaurants are up to with local flavors.

YMMV
>>
>>7444482

>the Bears haven't won a championship since a year before you were born

Football season is suffering.
>>
>>7444372
William and Mary is the best public college in the nation.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.