[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on this Midwest chain?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9
File: culvers.jpg (125 KB, 1276x653) Image search: [Google]
culvers.jpg
125 KB, 1276x653
What are your thoughts on this Midwest chain?
>>
File: culvers.jpg (58 KB, 514x324) Image search: [Google]
culvers.jpg
58 KB, 514x324
hate that their pub burger is just a limited time only item
but whatever

other than that, all the food they serve is delicious
>>
Good burgers, friendly service, I like how they bring the food to your table and hire people with down syndrome to bus tables.

Bretty good/10 would recommend
>>
>>7437424
You know, I suspect you can get them to make your burger whenever if you just ask for it.
>>
Great service
even the Culvers in the ghettos have good service
>>
Their custards are good
>>
>>7437412
Overpriced trash.
>>
>>7437412
No offense & not bait.guppy comment:

But why do people flock to a 'food and cooking' board to praise actual garbage fast food? I mean, it's hardly sustenance; it's like candy. It can only satisfy so many layers of your nutrition to such a minimal amount. Don't you guys get bored talking about which fry is best fry?

I'm genuinely curious. Not trying to shit on your lyfestyle
>inb4 implying
>>
>>7437412
This came to my part of Texas and its more then welcome to dominate In-N-Out anyday
>>
>>7437412
i've only been there once despite living 45 minutes away from one, but it was a great burger
>>
Their fish is actually really good. Burgers are really solid. Root beer literally tastes like a root beer float. They are one of my favorite fast-ish food chains
>>
>>7437586
People in food deserts have learned from the television that food is something to talk about, but they have never actually had good food because it's pretentious, so they talk about what they know: cheeseburgers made with wisconsin ''''cheese'''', what brand of soda is good, ''''craft'''' beer (at least we're not the south), and complaining about hipster weeaboo shitskins who poo in the loo and don't give you the chopsticks to eat the newfangled avocadoes at the hole-in-the-wall chinese restaurant.
>>
>>7437412

Good but I need to eat healthy so can never go there again.

Also everything is at least half fat and you tell by just picking it up and feeling the weight.
>>
I live about 15 minutes away from one that was built recently.
I should try it sometime, it looks pretty tasty.
>>
We have one close by and when we are in a pinch for dinner they are good for a quick burger.

But I still enjoy grilling my own burgers to get the flame broiled taste. And the fries I make at home are the same as the ones they sell. I cook them in a fryer.
>>
NYC dweller here. Culvers is significantly better than Five Guys, In n Out, and Shake Shack : ^) I miss it every day
>>
>>7437806
You cook fries IN A FRYER?!?!?

MADMAN
>>
>>7437586
It's a food board. It covers all aspects of food including the appreciation of fast food. While it might not be your thing, it may be others and it is no less a valid pastime or thread.
>>
>>7437905

Alot of people make fries in the Oven.

I know right, Insanity ! But they do it.

There is more of them then you might think, dont let the thought keep you up at night.
>>
>>7437412
Never been to one, they don't exist in NJ. I did however go to steak and shake in Cleveland and it twas good and cheap. I had a good time.
>>
>>7437884
>>7438098

Culvers is better then Steak and Shake.
>>
>>7438097

Yes, anon. It's abundantly clear that many people can't cook well.
>>
>>7438106

When we are really lazy and dont want to cook we get Culver burgers and sometimes we dont even buy their fries.

Because if one person stays home and heats up the fryer and another person goes and gets the burgers we can get hotter fries and they its cheaper in the end.

We have a deep fryer that stays on the counter and we buy frozen restaurant quality fries.

I feel sorry for all the people that eat oven fries and dont have a fryer.
>>
>>7438097
>Alot
>>
>>7438120

If you have a fryer then why the fuck are you limiting yourself with frozen fries?
>>
>>7438121
>>>/reddit/
>>
One of the best fast food chains out there. Burgers made to order, year round cheese curds, and the service is great. Their fries aren't good though, so yeah get the curds instead
>>
>>7438124

Actually sometimes I make Triple Cooked Homemade fries and they are totally fucking amazing.

But its takes at least 3 hours to do them right. Not even joking.

So when I am lazy and I dont have minimum of 3 hours I use frozen fries.

They are good, but no as good as the triple cooked fries I make.

Those things are like shards of glass with fluffy steaming potato inside.
>>
>>7438140
how does it take you three hours to make triple cooked fries?
>>
>>7437586
we talk about candy too you dip
>>
>>7438140
>But its takes at least 3 hours to do them right

How so?
-start heating your water for the parboil
-meanwhile peel & cut potatoes
-fries should be ready to parboil in about ten minutes.
-boil for 5 minutes
-let cool for 15 minutes, meanwhile turn on your fryer for the first cook. (total time thus far: 30 min)
-by the time the fries have cooled your fryer should be hot. Do the first firy (Total time: 35 minutes)
-Let the fries cool again, meanwhile reset your fryer for the final fry. (time: 50 min)
-Final fry (less than 55 min)

What are you doing where this takes 3 hours?
>>
>>7438153

Because you have to cook and cool them 3 times to get the best results.

You have to Boil them for at least an hour till they are just starting to fall apart.

Then you have to totally cool them.

After they are cool you have to cook them in the oil at 265 till they dont release steam anymore.

Then you have to cool them totally again.

Finally you can fry them for the 3rd and Final cook.

@ 375 till they are crisp.

You cant rush the process because it all depends on removing moisture to make them crispy.

And you cant do that if you dont give them time to cool.

Making fries from scratch takes time. If you want good ones.

Lookup Heston Blumenthal Recipe for triple cooked fries.
>>
>>7438160
>least an hour

You've got to be kidding me. Fries would start falling apart in less than 10 minutes at a boil. You don't need to boil them anywhere near that long.
>>
>>7438159

You have to boil them for alot longer then 10 mins.

You boil / simmer them till you see the potato start to fluff away or break off.

This is KEY, its a very important step to making a crispy fry.

When the potato starts to fluff up or break apart its good because later when you fry it gives more surface area for the oil.
>>
>>7438162
>You boil / simmer them till you see the potato start to fluff away or break off.

And that takes less than 10 minutes at a full boil.

Are you perhaps trying to do this with waxy potatoes rather than the "floury" ones? I make triple-cooked fries often. Using russet potatoes it takes well under 10 minutes to get the fluffy texture.
>>
>>7438173

Not in my experience.

I use russet potato also and it takes alot longer then a 10 min boil.

I dont think you are getting the same end result that I am.

I am following the recipe of an acclaimed 3 Michelin star chef.
>>
except for the fact that the one near me messes up my order 80% of the time unless I order something impossible to fuck up like their dinners I have no complaints, everything is really good
>>
>>7438191

I have heston's cookbook too, anon.
>>
>>7438159
>>7438162
>>7438173
>>7438191
>no mention of how thick the potatoes are cut
>just strictly mentioning cook time
epic fail
>>
>>7438191
>I am following the recipe of an acclaimed 3 Michelin star chef.
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7438239

When I have tried to rush the Process it hasn't came out the same.
>>
>>7438236

How they are cut doesn't matter much. The point of the parboil is simply to get the fluffy texture on the exterior of the potato. Whether or not the inside is cooked through is largely irrelevant since there will be two fryings later in the cooking process.
>>
>>7437412
Fly over it and eat human food in California or Jew York.
>>
File: miek_brwn.jpg (90 KB, 705x705) Image search: [Google]
miek_brwn.jpg
90 KB, 705x705
>>7438275
>living in communist states
>contributing to communist economies
No thanks.
>>
>>7438275
>he thinks coastal chains come close
>>
>>7438275
>coastie commie
>thinks the coast makes food at all

Enjoy your cultural enrichment
>>
>>7438324
>>7438383
We don't eat at "chains" only poor people and slaves do that. Thanks I will enjoy my delicious multi-ethnic foods. :3
>>
>>7438401
Just like your multi-ethnic wife's son :^)
>>
>>7438401
>We don't eat at "chains"
Dohohohoho
>>
>>7437412
excellent. I miss them.
>>
File: jack_feeding_pigs.jpg (318 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jack_feeding_pigs.jpg
318 KB, 1280x720
Pretty good actually, and you know Ja/ck/ is a fan
>>
File: Caramel Cashew.png (522 KB, 607x618) Image search: [Google]
Caramel Cashew.png
522 KB, 607x618
>>7437412
This is the best flavor they have

butterburgers are good

cheese curds could be improved
>>
File: my-good-sir.png (42 KB, 550x470) Image search: [Google]
my-good-sir.png
42 KB, 550x470
>>7438121
you are the worst
>>
The sweet potato fries is the best side

Bacon butterburger is awesome

I've had criticism about the concrete mixer I get, but I get vanilla custard with oreo and strawberries. Is that shit tier combination?
>>
>>7438160
>Boil them for at least an hour
there's no way they aren't a gluey paste by then, takes 20 minutes to boil potatoes
>>
File: Halo-Burger.jpg (167 KB, 500x439) Image search: [Google]
Halo-Burger.jpg
167 KB, 500x439
>>7437412
>What are your thoughts on this Midwest chain?

Metro Detroit here, and I’ve never had anything from them, as the nearest restaurant is too far away for take-out,

Personally, I’d like Halo Burger (a Michigan burger company) to build a place hereabouts but at least for now, they’re all out in the Flint area and I only get them when heading Up North or going to the gun show.
>>
File: Culvers Butterburger.jpg (619 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Culvers Butterburger.jpg
619 KB, 2000x1500
Fries are ok, nothing special. But the burgers are great, I love the char they get plus the grilled buns. Their frozen custard is also top tier
>>
>>7437586
newfag
>>
incredibly based, west coast cucks will insult it, east coasters will respect it if they know what it is
>>
>>7437412
Easily the Whitest Food Chain In Existence.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.