[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
German food to bring home
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: Street+Food+-+Pretzels[1].jpg (41 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
Street+Food+-+Pretzels[1].jpg
41 KB, 425x282
I'm in Germany at the moment (Karlsruhe, as it happens) and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for food (and food related stuff) you'd bring back to your home country.

About the only thing that comes to mind at the moment are dry sausages and hard cheeses since a) those should survive being in my luggage for a couple of hours and b) they're rather expense where I'm from.

I've done a bit of cursory googling, but I still have no idea if this city (and the surrounding region) are particularly associated with any foods.
>>
>>7435201
>where I'm from.
So, where are you from?

>I still have no idea if this city (and the surrounding region) are particularly associated with any foods.
I dont really know anything about Karlsruhe in itself, but its close to the Schwarzwald/Black forest, so get some Schwarzwaldschinken. you can also get them vaccuum sealed and since they are smoked, they dont need to be cooled.

But keep in mind, for some countries/continents travelling with food can fuck you at the airport!
>>
>>7435273
Singapore, as it happens. As far as I know we don't have any significant restrictions on bringing food in flights.
>>
>>7435201
You can get sausages in jars or tins if you're ok with the wight. Other than that, chocolate, sweets and all kinds of instant-foods, if you feel you couldn't get the ingredients at home. Also beer if you have lots of extra luggage weight to waste.
>>
>>7435545
>beer
Unfortunately, the buzzkills of Singapore customs don't permit more than a liter (or two, I forget) of beer. A shame, as I have something like 24 spare kilos of luggage allowance.

I was also thinking of ready-meals and the like, just for shits and giggles.
>>
>>7435568
>I was also thinking of ready-meals and the like, just for shits and giggles.
Get canned food then. Some noodle soups and stews are pretty ok. Also, canned Weißwurst and sweet mustard.
>>
>>7435201
>I'm in Germany at the moment
Where are you now?
>>
cured meats
>>
Milka bars, goddamn it, now I want some.
Damn you, international junk foood
>>
-Black Forrest ham
-Some smoked sausages
-Canned meats from a butcher (selfmade), get leberwurst, bierschinken, eg.
-Monkey 42 maybe. I know you can get it worldwide of you want to, but it's made in the area
-Ritter Sport, Milka, haribo (a... Mit ohren),

Sonne ideas
>>
BBC
>>
https://pfl.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A4lzer_Lewwerworschd
i didn't knew this existed
>>
>>7435201
>I'm in Germany at the moment
How many muslims have you seen raping white german women and everyone is too afraid of being called a racist to stop them?

All joking aside you're on the right track.if you can get the dry cheese and sausages vaccuum sealed so you won't get shit at the airport. Get some sweets too and make sure to try everything you're not familiar with, especially the beers.
>>
Get vacuum sealed meats and cheeses. Get all the Milka chocolate you can carry. Interesting mustards. Grab yourself some paprika crisps (I fucking love Jumpys but those might be Austrian, I don't remember.) and random junk foods for your carry on so they don't get crushed. Eat a few on the plane ride back maybe.
>>
>>7436611
>>7436217
>vacuum sealed meats and cheeses

Is this something shops do on request, or do I just keep an eye out for pre-sealed goods?
>>
>>7437056
bamp
>>
>>7435528
>Singapore, as it happens. As far as I know we don't have any significant restrictions on bringing food in flights.
You sure? I think I vaguely remember some signs about loads of stuff you arent allowed to bring with you when i was in Malaysia and singapore a few years ago. And how the hell do you have 24 spare kg's in your luggage allowance?

>>7437056
>>vacuum sealed meats and cheeses
>Is this something shops do on request, or do I just keep an eye out for pre-sealed goods?
Both. Some staples like dried sausages and smoked ham are sold like this in supermarkets (you can get also some good stuff there, in the case of the ham, make sure it has some kind of seal to prove that it indeed is a traditional black forrest one) and most butcheries also sell some stuff vaccumed, or you can ask for them to do it for you, as they should have the machine. Oh, yeah, and canned sausages. Leberwurst is the best spread you can put on a bread that there is.
>>
guess you could bring the german version of instant noodles.
>>
>>7437440
>24 spare kilos, Singapore
It's a work trip - I brought nothing but a handful of clothes, a few charging cables, toiletries, and tablet. Plus the airline offers 30kg baggage, which is neat.

But you've got a good point - I'm going to comb through the government sites and double check it.

>vacuum packing

On the off chance that no-one in the shop speaks English, what should I ask: "Entschuldigen Sie mich, können Sie dieses Vakuum verpacken?"
>>
>>7437455
>On the off chance that no-one in the shop speaks English, what should I ask: "Entschuldigen Sie mich, können Sie dieses Vakuum verpacken?"
Yeah, should work. Actually, I'm too much into dialect (but not the Karlsruhe area Badisch), so I cant 100% tell you the correct Hochdeutsch for it, but
"Können Sie das bitte Vakuumieren?" +something like "Ich möchte es als souvenier nach Hause nehmen" might be more fitting. This way, they probably will try to warn you if you are trying to buy something that wont keep unrefrigerated.
>>
just smuggle some kinder in your butt
>>
>>7437489
Thanks! Now I won't sound like I'm just checking Google Translate

>>7437493
Of course. I love the sensation of chocolate melting in my rectum.
>>
Hey, i live in karlsruhe

Maybe you can get some vacuumed maultaschen at the butcher or the supermarket.
>>
> go to a local brewery and get a big bottle of their beer
> jägermeister
> linda potatoes, traditional german potatoes wich germans literary protest to protect. Eaten boiled.
> go to a butcher and ask for Leberwurst and Schwarzwälder Schinken
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
>>7435201
Not something to bring home but definitely try the varieties of bread while you're here. I'd recommend Saftkorn, Bärlauch and Pumpernikel.

I used to live in the US for 3 months and not being able to get real bread really killed my buzz.
>>
File: image.jpg (642 KB, 1200x920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
642 KB, 1200x920
>>7437578
seconding schwarzwälder schinken.

You can take a whole block (like they do with italian serano and parma and such) and have a few slices every once in a while and think back of Germany :3

You'll have an easy to transport high quality product you can store for ages and is probably very hard to get outside of europe.
It's delicious btw.
>>
Falafel is good
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.