[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes good pizza sauce? I'm open to new ideas, so far
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
What makes good pizza sauce? I'm open to new ideas, so far I've only been using blended tomatoes with salt, oregano and sugar.
>>
Fennel or go home
>>
Hand crushed san marzano tomatoes son
>>
Never found san marzano tomatoes where I lived.
>>
>>7433471
I am an Italian and i swear that i never, ever put or have seen put sugar in tomato sauce.
Also good pizza sauce should be very, VERY simple. It's the rest of the topping that change the taste.
>>
>>7433539

>good pizza sauce should be very, VERY simple. It's the rest of the topping that change the taste

I am not an Italian, but I completely agree.

Some fresh tomatoes, good olives, anchovies and good quality cheese is all you need.
>>
no sugar in pizza sauce m8
>>
>>7433563
I just add it to neutralize the heavily acidic flavour of tomatoes. When I have better tomatoes I don't use sugar.
>>
>>7433471
Pizza sauce should be pretty simple, so it doesn't overpower your toppings. My tomato sauce that I use for pasta is very deep and complicated, flavor-wise, but my pizza sauce is super simple. Tomatoes (fresh in season, canned out of season), salt if needed, maybe some herbs and garlic, depending on the toppings. That's about it.
>>
Red chillis
>>
>>7433539
The sugar and oregano is used in the kind of Italian American pizza sauce used by slice joints. It takes the edge off the fact that the sauce is made from tomato paste, and does work against the cheap, shredded, low moisture mozzarella such places use on their pizzas.
>>
ketchup and some srira'cha if you want to make pizza the oriental way
>>
Hand crushed tinned tomatoes of the best quality, ideally San marzano.

Also, passata with a teaspoon of Harissa mixed in is GOAT spicy pizza sauce
>>
>>7433605
'cha makes a 'za

hands down best way to make sauce
>>
lots and lots of oregano, medium basil, garlic, lots of salt and pepper, a bit of brown sugar, cooked down extra thick.

this is the classic "pizza sauce" for American Pizza
>>
>>7433539
you weren't watching Nona closely enough. a pinch of brown sugar or something else sweet like grated carrot is the secret to good tomato sauces
>>7433551
it's a pinch, not a main ingredient
>>7433563
pizza sauce has sugar in it. You have never eaten a pizza from a commercial kitchen that did not have sugar in the sauce
>>7433595
right
>>
>>7433471
Tomatoes are already sweet why would you add sugar
>this is why the rest of the world laughs at "fat americans"
>>
some sources recommend putting in a bit of lemon juice to your sauce for a bit of brightness. I liked the way it tasted when I tried that.
>>
>>7433471
a good sauce has no tomatoes.

use cream, garlic, butter, salt, parmesan cheese
>>
>>7433812
Because they're not using tomatoes, they're using tomato paste.
>>
>tfw live in bumfuck flyover land
>the fanciest Italian restaurant in town
>Alfredo sauce is literally just milk and flour
>all tomato-based sauces are thick and sugary

If my mom bothered to open a restaurant here, we would be rich.
>>
>>7433817
>some sources recommend putting in a bit of lemon juice to your sauce
stop going to those sources.
>>
>>7433812
Not always, some people really like to use roma tomatoes, or hydroponic tomatoes, its not sweet enough. It's cheap though, thats why people use these. They aren't red enough, or sweet enough, they just aren't ripe enough tomatoes meant for making sauces. However, I'd take some tomato sauce made with real tomatoes + sugar/honey over tomato paste + water sauces that pizza places use.
>>
>>7433812
>tomatoes are already sweet
The only tomatoes I've ever eaten that were 'sweet' are cherry and grape tomatoes. Perhaps it's the cheap, easily accessible types of tomatoes that you can get at the store that makes them not very sweet, at least in the US.

I've made sauces using fresh tomato, the taste is nothing like how I would like pizza sauce to taste. My guess is you'd need to have some really, really good tomatoes if you don't want to add sugar. Either that or the non US palette finds the taste of dull, slightly bitter acidic tomato sauce to be good.
>>
>>7434357
>types of tomatoes that you can get at the store
Those are shit tomatoes.
>>
>>7434373
Yep, generally a lot of mass produced tomatoes are picked before they are riped and put on the shelves of warehouses for a good while until they are taken to the stores and by that time they have that redish orange color that isn't really sweet at all.
>>
Garlic
>>
>>7433471
>sugar
is there nothing Americans won't put sugar in

we use passata (fresh tomatoes are better but on the whole too much work)
we add a little salt, oregano, basil

sometimes chilli flakes if the pizza calls for it

have recently started brushing the top of the base with garlic oil before adding the tomato, keeps everything a bit dryer but the tomato doesn't spread so well
>>
File: Basil.jpg (92 KB, 640x523) Image search: [Google]
Basil.jpg
92 KB, 640x523
>>7433471
Basil

It's all you need for sweetener
>>
>>7433571
Pinch of baking soda.
>>
>>7433471

you get some really nice tasting canned tomatoes put a bit of salt and olive oil in it and you're done.
>>
>>7433471
mix in a little cream?
>>
>>7433471
Traditionally, you don't need the sugar.
Oregano is rather American as well. But it's good, put it in late,

>>7433476
Fennel is fine, put it in late,
Thyme is fine, put it in early,
Sage is fine IF you add heavy meats, put it in late,

>>7433788
>>7434456
>>7434465
Basil is fine, put it in at the very end and crush the fuck out of the leaves first, also it won't sweeten the sauce but add a licorice heaviness,

>>7434416 also,
Garlic is fine, put it in before you add the tomatoes but don't let it brown,

Salt is necessary,

>>7434310
Lemon juice is stupid and you should feel bad, just use better tomatoes,

>>7434312
Don't put honey in a tomato sauce, you'll never lose that complex sweetness as with sugar - it'll be just like poisoning it,

>>7434373
Genomes aren't shit, transport methods are shit
Find a grower or do it yourself, get your hands on some romas that aren't ripened by nitrogen, happy cooking,

>>7434456
Dried Chili flakes you need to be careful with, you can go overboard REAL fast,

>>7434694
No, no and no baking soda,

>>7434721
Cream, milk,cheese is acceptable if you're using the sauce within 2 days, add it very late and make sure the sauce is cool enough not to turn it.
>>
>>7434746
You seem expert.
Which toppings do you use for vegetal pizza?
>>
>>7434756

Tomatoes, olives, and anchovies.
>>
File: any trouble.png (415 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
any trouble.png
415 KB, 1920x1080
>>7434760
any trouble boy?
>>
>>7434756
Onions, mushrooms, and olives are considered staples, and they all play nicely with other ingredients.

Depending on the body you want to impart to the pizza, you might consider spinach, artichoke, red onion, pineapple, and anything with a nice heady body and a soft enough texture. My favorite secret play is to brown brusselsprouts, separate the leaves, and scatter them over.

You can play with cucumbers, zucchini, and squash if you want one of them "artsy" pizzas, but stay away from eggplant. That shit will dry right out.

Also, choose carefully your options for cheese, without meat it will be your source of fat and a clever pick can make a delicious pizza.
>>
File: WP_20160221_21_22_25_Pro.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160221_21_22_25_Pro.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
>>7434779
thanks sempai.

I usually do this: pepper, olives , eggplant with olive oil
>>
>>7434789
Bell pepper's a fine choice!
>>
>>7434789
oh, but, I'd leave off the eggplant. That's gonna get really chewy and tough.
>>
>>7434795
I do fine slices
>>
>>7434746
ripened with nitrogen an inert gas?
what the fuck?
>>
I see there are knowledgeable people here, but I tell you something.
I'm >>7433539.
I live in a little town in middle Italy where people is very simple and we basically eat like a lot of years ago, save the occasional McDonald or the Kebab vendor.

I don't know what Nona is but, tomato sauce don't need ANY kind of sweetner.
When we make the sugo di pomodoro, we do this way:

In a pan, put olive oil and a crushed yet not shredded garlic.
Add a little onion, but cut very thin.
Fry until the onion gets a golden colour.
Remove the crushed garlic and add tomato sauce.

NOTE: since we live in a kind of rural area, a lot of families here cultivate and them make our tomato sauce to do the sugo.

Cook the tomato sauce until it's good (you taste it and learn how much time you need,)
Add salt, and black pepper / chili peppers flakes (we call them Peperoncini, also usually self cultivated, are easy to grow).

OPTIONALS:

When summertime, usually BASIL is added because is found by the season. Some like the bitter note of the PARSLEY better.

And that's it. No other things added. This sugo is already good to make a pasta, add some Parmigiano later as the people see fit.

Don't be fooled. We are simple people, who eat simple and got our land tormented by a lot of wars. Our "mediterranean cuisine" is world wide appreciated but I rarely see people following it by the way it is: simple ingredients, of high to excellent quality and freshness.
IF the ingredients are good, you eat good without any correction.

Really it's just like that.
>>
>>7434746
>Genomes aren't shit
In terms of flavor many heirlooms beat out tomatoes grown on a large scale commercially. Some taste fine, but most were bred for high yields, disease resistance and sturdiness when shipping.

I grow my own and stick with heirlooms. They might be lower yielding and more prone to blight, but it isn't a business for me. All I care about is flavor, and they have it.
>>
Anybody ever had a chicken and waffle pizza?
>>
>>7435762
No, seriously?
>>
>>7435572
>>7435572
Can you post the recipe of the tomato sauce?
>>
Oregano and basil are important. I would also consider adding just a pinch of thyme as well. Oh, and don't forget the fennel seeds. Try crushing them up before.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.