[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm falling out of love with whiskey. It just tastes like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: wild-turkey.jpg (251 KB, 640x918) Image search: [Google]
wild-turkey.jpg
251 KB, 640x918
I'm falling out of love with whiskey. It just tastes like alcohol to me now, even though I've been getting good shit and using proper glassware.

What do?
>>
>>7427735
name some of the supposedly good shit youve been getting
>>
maybe this is the time to stop drinking
>>
>>7427737
By good shit I mean decent.

Wild Turkey 101, Maker's Mark, Dickel No. 12
>>
>>7427735
drink something else
>>
>>7427740
So you've had a small amount of okay bourbon. There's much more to whiskey than that.
>>
>>7427771
Why don't you, uh, give some examples so OP can learn and you can sound less like a pretentious fedora.
>>
>>7427777
not him, but have you tried o'douls?
>>
File: 20151217_140657-1.jpg (3 MB, 1836x2674) Image search: [Google]
20151217_140657-1.jpg
3 MB, 1836x2674
Dis shit rite here, OP
is good
>>
Also the moment you smoke whiskey you might as well just shit in the barrel
>>
>>7427784
>Irish whiskey
it's made out of potatoes or something?
>>
>>7427803
It's aged for a minimum of 3 years, isn't smoked, and made essentially the same way you brew an ale before they toss in the yeast
>>
>>7427735
Stop drinking. It's all downhill from here.
>>
>>7427740
Well what do you think of them?

Try different shit. Rye, Irish, Scotch, smoked bourbons, Japanese if you're half the weeb we all know you are.
>>
>>7427830
I think they taste like rubbing alcohol.

How is rye? might grab a bottle of that next
>>
>>7427834
All three of them? Take smaller sips. Try them with a bit of water, or on the rocks if you want neckbeards to yell at you. Try them in cocktails (old fashioned; Manhattan).

Rye is close to Wild Turkey and Dickel. Spicy, bright compared to bourbon's sweetness.
>>
>>7427777
Because it takes no time for OP to do a little googling and learn about all the sorts of whiskey that exist, Mr Projection.
>>
>>7428040
People come on /ck/ to discuss shit. Perhaps you should try another board.
>>
>>7427834
As another anon said, don't start with it neat, you'll be overpowered by the alcohol taste. There's nothing wrong with adding a little water - or an ice cube or two if it's a warm day.

Takes away the burn and actually unlocks more flavour from the whiskey.

All the experts add water when tasting whiskey. You want good mineral water though, not tap.
>>
>>7428042
Why don't you discuss something other than your disapproval of me, then? You're hardly discussing the topic. Take your own advice. I'm happy to do what I like, but hold yourself to your own standards at the very least.
>>
>>7427735
Just take a break from whiskey, this will happen from time to time as your palate changes, Ive been drinking whiskey for 10 years and sometimes go off it for a few weeks at time.
Sometimes taste variance can be day to day or weeks or even months.
Try some aged rums, maybe some brandies, mit it up.
>>
switch to rum, it tastes better

it always tasted better

never really understood the tendency of most liquor drinkers to go for whiskey... doesn't taste bad, but RUM
>>
>>7427735
Congrats, you grew out of it.
>>
>>7428135

does this mean that he's naturally progressed to scotch?
>>
>>7428145
Scotch is still whiskey, anon.
>>
>>7428100
any recommendation for something around $20?
>>
>>7428149

well yeah, but not what one usually t hinks of when they talk about whiskey. or what they crave when they crave whiskey.
>>
>>7428238
When an american craves something its bourbon
when an irishman craves something its irish whiskey
when you crave something its cock
>>
>>7427735
happens to me too sometimes OP, you just gotta change it up. Go try some tequila/rum/gin then come back to whiskey. I get burnt out too when I try so many whiskeys.
>>
>>7428182
Look, if you're only willing to shell out $20 for hard liquor, yer gonna get shite that ain't worth drinkin. Save up and blow it on a bottle of the top shelf liquor. Don't down it like you would a cheapy, and savor the damn taste. Stop drinkin' like a goddamn college fratboy and man up for gods sakes.
>>
>>7428100
>never really understood the tendency of most liquor drinkers to go for whiskey
It's mostly a meme, people just follow it and don't look elsewhere because apparently "whisky is the ultimate beverage", so do you want the ultimate beverage or have a "girly drink"?

Rhum is mostly ignored, and even then those that know about it generally ignore all about rhum arrangé. They also tend to ignore wine, and hypocras equally. And they ignore cremant just because there's champagne.

This new generation has its tastes tailored by movies and TV, don't expect it to actually have taste.
>>
>>7428468
*tip*
>>
>>7428487
>muh whiskey

I think you got your fedora upside down.
>>
>>7428468

Whisky drinker here. But also a rum drinker, which I spell without the H because I speak English and I'm not some fedora tipping faggot pretending to be patrician. I also have great loves for gin and fernet branca.

My stepfamily is German, so I grew up celebrating births and marriages with sekt. So sekt is what I drink. My taste in wine is plebian anyways - off-dry aromatic white varietals like riesling, gewürztraminer, and muscat are my name. And rosés. Easy wines.

I know this might come as a shock to you, but liking something doesn't preclude a person from liking other things.
>>
>>7428960
>I know this might come as a shock to you, but liking something doesn't preclude a person from liking other things.
That's great because we weren't talking about you.
>>
>>7428182
Cruzan for straight for with juice
Kraken if mixing with coke
>>
>>7428960
I prefer rhum
>>
>>7429105
Kraken is a meme
>>
>>7429105

you would drink cruzan neat but not kraken?? dafuq
>>
File: kraken.jpg (421 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
kraken.jpg
421 KB, 1200x1600
>>7429623
Kraken is real and great
>>
>>7429973
kraken is GOAT, a couple weekends ago i was drinking it with steve and we got so drunk lol
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.