[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is healthier, low fat or full fat yogurt? Does the same
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: bowl-of-yogurt.jpg (13 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
bowl-of-yogurt.jpg
13 KB, 700x466
Which is healthier, low fat or full fat yogurt?

Does the same hold true for other dairy products?
>>
Who cares? Buy the good shit and don't eat so much.
>>
>>7427565
Dairy contains saturated fats, which are still needed by the body but harmful in large doses. It should make up less than 10% of your daily fat intake.

However, it still has the same healthy probiotics and more protein than greek yogurt (at least the Fage 2% brand does).

Really the only reason to use whole milk, cheese, or yogurt is purely for flavor instead of nutritional value. Greek yogurt is the healthiest dairy product you can consume.
>>
Don't worry about foods being healthy, look at the big picture and worry about your overall diet being healthy.

Most people need about 40-60g of fat per day. If you're eating less then go for full fat, if you're eating more go for non fat. It's all about having a balanced diet in moderation.
>>
I eat non fat yogurt.
>>
>>7427565
depends on what else you're eating. if you're eating food like a fatty piece of lamb, you should use low fat yogurt for balance. if you're eating yogurt and oats, full fat yogurt would balance with it better.

neither is healthier, they're just different. a healthy diet is a balanced diet.
>>
>>7427565

dairy products are about the only product that has a healthy alternative to full fat. low-fat dairy generally doesn't taste as good, but they don't start adding chemicals and sweeteners to make up for the lost fat until you get to no-fat dairy products. generally, low-fat dairy products are healthier than no-fat dairy products.

this being said, dairy is the only time you should consider a low-fat option. other low/no fat products replace the fat with sugar and chemicals so it still tastes tolerable.

there are a lot of candies that are fat free, because sugar is fat free. it's a good idea to compare the sugar content of a low/no fat product to the original before buying something.
>>
>>7427565
Full fat. Any low fat dairy product simply contains more sugar.
>>
>>7427565
depends on your goals. if you are looking to reduce caloric intake and are counting calories, sugar-free low-fat or non-fat might be your choice. on the other hand fat gives you a feeling of fullness the low-fat or non-fat yogurts won't give you, so if you aren't counting calories you might end up overeating anyway.

if you are trying to lose weight you want to eat a caloric deficeit. as long as you are eating an amount of calories that is below what you burn, you WILL lose weight. the nutritional value or health benefits and properties of food are for the most part outside of the question of losing weight. you could be eating the healthiest diet in the world but if you eat too much you'll gain weight.
>>
>>7427565
Food can't be healthy or unhealthy. Only eating habits can be evaluated that way. As long as you're practicing good eating habits, either type of yogurt will be okay.
>>
>>7427781
If a food loads you up on calories without commensurate vitamins and/or minerals, it's unhealthy.
>>
>>7427585
>which are still needed by the body
Source?
>>
>>7427781
>Food can't be healthy or unhealthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortening#Health_concerns_and_reformulation
>>
>>7427716

not plain yogurt or milk. same amount of sugar. we're not talking about flavored yogurt or "diet foods"
>>
>>7427565
Low fat, too much saturated fat will clog your arteries.
>>
>>7427901
No, remove fat and it is supplanted with lactose. That's how it works. They don't fill it out with water because that would dilute the flavor.
>>
>>7427914
I don't know about your local brands, but for the milk I buy, 2% and Skim have the same amount of sugar.
>>
>>7427585
It is also the worst for the environment.
>>
>>7427914

The difference is like 1g of sugar, in my experience. Not relevant enough to warrant choosing full-fat over nonfat if you're trying to cut back on saturated fats (or clalories).
>>
>>7427585
>trusting decades old flawed studies that were subsequently pushed by the wheat industry to get Americans to eat more bread

Fats are your friend
>>
>>7428036
>conspiracy theories
>>>/x/
>>
>>7427565
>other dairy products
The only thing you should look out for is Whole Milk. 1% and 2% fat content is OK, but Whole Milk has 100% fat, so avoid it at all costs.
>>
>>7428146
>Whole Milk has 100% fat
Then it's pure fat, not milk.

European standards set "whole milk" as having at least 3.5% of fat, and the "fatest" milks have no more than 5.2%.

Though I'm genuinely starting to wonder that the fuck is it you Americans call "milk".
>>
>>7427585
>saturated fats are magically bad if you eat too much
There's literally nothing wrong with saturated fat, you fucking mongoloid.
Fat is bad meme is the worst nutritional pho pah anybody could make,it literally makes you look like a retard.
>>
>>7427565
neither is intrinsically healthier

fat is a normal part of your diet, and the fat isn't saturated

it's only "healthier" if you eat too much fat or too many carbs to begin with

dairy companies have been pushing fat free and low fat for a decade because it lets them use the valuable dairy fat in other products
>>
>>7427565
The one that has less sugar.
>>
I buy triple fat yogurt. Liberte, plain, 10% milk fat. I eat it with a muesli that's 50% dried fruits. Smaller portions fill me up and leave me feeling full longer, and it tastes amazing.
>>
>>7428516
>pho pah
Retard.
>>
>>7427565
The variant that your body currently needs.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 177x215) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 177x215
>>7428146
So whole milk is clarified butter.
>>
>>7428718
Under rated post
"Fat free" is an ancient meme at this point.
Fructose glucose corn syrup is worse then the dairy fat in a cup of yogurt
>>
File: newman yogurt.png (348 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
newman yogurt.png
348 KB, 600x450
>low fat yogurt
>>
>>7428510
>Though I'm genuinely starting to wonder that the fuck is it you Americans call "milk".
Skim milk is 0.2%, low fat (commonly called 2% milk) is 2%, and Whole Milk is 3.5%.
>>
>>7427585
>Greek yogurt is the healthiest dairy product you can consume
Post was good up until this.

There are tons of dairy cultures much more healthy than a greek yoghurt. Most of them have less lactose too.

OP is retarded for isolating fat as the health factor, lactose is a bigger concern for anyone trying to eat sensibly.
>>
>>7429318
>lactose is a bigger concern for anyone trying to eat sensibly.

Why? I'm not lactose intolerant. I can eat lactose no problem.
>>
>>7429343
You can eat sucrose and fructose no problem too, but you don't purposefully eat excessive amounts of sugar because you're not a retard.. hopefully.
>>
In general, saturated fat is bad for you. Saturated fat is not essential and I'm not aware that any amount has been shown to be beneficial to health. Furthermore, saturated fat is found in virtually all foods that contain fat, so you certainly don't need dairy to get any.

There are some studies that show superior health outcomes from consuming full fat dairy vs. consuming reduced fat dairy. Very easy to google. I believe there are 2 main mechanisms that people are hypothesizing to explain these findings:

1. The current mainstream advice is always to replace saturated fats with unsaturated fats, never to reduce fat intake in general (although some people may benefit from that also). Fat intake should be around 30% +/- 7% for most people and never below 20%.

If you consume reduced-fat dairy in significant quantities without increasing your intake of unsaturated fats, you are replacing saturated fats with sugar and protein. Mainstream thinking is that doing so could actually be detrimental to your health. People who buy reduced-fat dairy may falsely believe that reducing overall fat intake is healthy, even though this is not a position held by any health authority.

2. The fatty part of milk specifically may contain compounds that have some additional beneficial effect.

In conclusion, the best course of action in the absence of further evidence is probably to reduce the overall quantity of dairy consumed, but to consume full-fat dairy when doing so.

A typical man with a halfway balanced diet should probably consume no more than 15g of fat from dairy in a day on average, which works out to be one large chunk of cheese, half a liter of whole milk (2 cups) or perhaps one medium piece of butter. 15g of dairy fat works out to around 10g of saturated fat, which leaves you with another 10-15g from other sources, if you wish to stay in the recommended range of <10% or <7%.
>>
>>7429463

>>>/diy/
>>
>>7429447

Your argument for a lactose being a concern is that it shouldn't be eaten in excess? Like... I dunno, everything else?
>>
>>7429243

>implying there's added sugar in fat-free plain yogurt
>>
>>7429550
Fuck you, he gave a well-reasoned and scientific answer
>>
>2016
>still eating dairy
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.