[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cast Iron advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8
File: Birthdayspider.jpg (81 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Birthdayspider.jpg
81 KB, 1024x768
Is the difference between different brands of cast iron the real life or just fantasy? I have Lodge, Griswold, and some walmart shit-brand cast iron and they all cook just the same.

also, ara/ck/nid thread
>>
File: imagination.gif (330 KB, 499x276) Image search: [Google]
imagination.gif
330 KB, 499x276
bonus points if anyone can tell me if it's worth getting staub/creuset over Lodge or anyone else for enameled coated types

dumping spiders till i get answer
>>
File: redhatbysunmicrosystems.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
redhatbysunmicrosystems.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
>>
File: justaweebabby.jpg (49 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
justaweebabby.jpg
49 KB, 1600x1067
>>7414153
>>
dammit, I just came from /an/. stop making me want an invert 4chan, I cant afford any more pets
>>
File: oo0oo00o0o0000o00.gif (2 MB, 294x164) Image search: [Google]
oo0oo00o0o0000o00.gif
2 MB, 294x164
>>7414184
>>
One of these spiders should be named Boris. Ya know from the song Boris The Spider.
>>
>>7414170
The red hat people are jack fuck arrogant fucks, I and a friend talked to them in NYC when they didn't know who I worked for and I was in a suit and tie. Red slut and that company can die for all I care about. I wont push their shit.
>>
I don't know about your brands...I got two of mine from a dead grandmother and I got another three from small town auctions. Small town auctions have great things.
>>
>>7414153
Yes there's a difference. Vintage antique cast iron has a smooth finish. Newer cast iron (Lodge and other brands) gas a rough sand-like surface. I have both, and I prefer the antique.
Never had, nor cared for enamel. Some, not all, are vulnerable to being chipped, "non stick" ability can be lost over time, and may even have a max temp allowed. Including broiler use. My understanding is that it's easier to clean than regular CI; for better or worse
>>
Anon should get Wagner cast irons, since they're not made anymore anon might not have to season them, but if the on the chance that anon does, fuck these morons claiming flax seed oil.

Flax seed oil is expensive bullshit and canola oil does the same job. They claim flax seed oil bullshit likely because they saw it on food network or some shit and someone was horking it. Fuck that.

The point of making a patina is to make that, it burns off any bullshit, so pay extra for "flax seed oil" and be a faggot or just use canola oil and be done with it. Same thing for purpose.
>>
>>7414375
>he doesn't season his pans with lard
kek
>>
File: BorisTheSpider.gif (1 MB, 398x305) Image search: [Google]
BorisTheSpider.gif
1 MB, 398x305
>>7414300
This spider here is Boris.
>>
>>7414153
The biggest difference to me between Lodge and vintage brands (I have a griswold) is the weight. Vintage cast iron is way lighter and it's sanded smooth while Lodge keeps the texture so their preseasoning adheres easier.

>>7414161
I know that Le Creuset has a lifetime guarantee for their products but I don't think Lodge does. I hear that Lodge dutch oven chips faster, but they are the fraction of the price. If you can afford a higher end stuff go for it, but lodge is a solid choice. I'm currently borrowing a LC dutch oven and I love it.
>>
>>7414195
Is that an argiope? My backgarden was overrun with these fuckers one summer. Frightening when you've never seen them before. I live in the far, frozen north but it was an unseasonably warm year and I guess they came up from down south because reasons.

>>7414153
Barely any difference. They're slight, but they're there. Unless you've got yourself a tinge of the 'tism, you likely wouldn't ever notice.
There is, however, a huge difference one brand to the next when it comes to enameled cast iron.
>>
File: 1189715327829.jpg (250 KB, 1953x1098) Image search: [Google]
1189715327829.jpg
250 KB, 1953x1098
>>7415755
its a jumping spider, no web.

argiope are web based, mostly stationary spiders
>>
Made in china cast iron has lead in them.
>>
File: thormg.png (162 KB, 193x343) Image search: [Google]
thormg.png
162 KB, 193x343
>>7414508
>>
>>7414195
That's the cutest thing I've seen all week.
>>
>>7416097
The Who - Boris The Spider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvFuUaCe8eY
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.