[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Healthy School Lunch Challenge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 23
File: Primavera.jpg (49 KB, 661x624) Image search: [Google]
Primavera.jpg
49 KB, 661x624
Hello /ck/,

I've come from the US food wasteland to challenge you all to a showdown. Sort of. I need school lunch ideas! Show me what you got /ck/!

Here are the rules:

-Cold/Sack Lunch ideas only
-Must contain minimum 2 ounces and maximum 3 ounces source of protein per serving
-Must contain minium 2 ounces and maximum 3 ounces of grains per serving
-Must be easily modifiable to accomodate vegetarian, gluten intolerant, and dairy intolerant children
-Must contain widely accepted ingredients to appeal to picky eaters
-Must be relatively affordable to produce

Think you got what it takes? Show me. If you give me a usable idea, you'll be participating in a venture to feed thousands of children healthier, higher quality school lunches.

>pic related, Israeli Couscous Primavera. Discontinued due to lack of interest among fat children.
>>
File: 8971263786.jpg (117 KB, 708x731) Image search: [Google]
8971263786.jpg
117 KB, 708x731
>please, /ck/, I don't wanna be a fatty when I grow up!
>>
Just give them a loaf of bread, some cheese, and a small, boiled potato. That's what I've been eating for the past 4 months.
>>
Go steal ideas to propose on shark tank somewhere else retard
>>
File: Taco Salad.jpg (120 KB, 612x816) Image search: [Google]
Taco Salad.jpg
120 KB, 612x816
>>7414202

unacceptable, sir

>>7414204

Shark Tank would have no interest in our business model. Not enough profits. And all I'm interested in is getting children to eat healthy school lunches made with the highest quality ingredients I can afford.
>>
>>7413943
> minimum 56 grams of protein
That is fuckloads for a single childs lunch
>>
File: veg.jpg (64 KB, 778x582) Image search: [Google]
veg.jpg
64 KB, 778x582
>>7414255

Ahh, sorry sir, let me elaborate. There needs to be 3 ounces of any protein-based ingredient, such as beans, cheese, meat, eggs, etc., so not 3 ounces of pure protein.

This is a requirement set by the US NSLP (National School Lunch Program)
>>
>>7414221
>our business model

Go away shill.
>>
File: Egg Fried Rice Lunch.jpg (75 KB, 852x567) Image search: [Google]
Egg Fried Rice Lunch.jpg
75 KB, 852x567
>>7414301

I don't think you know what that word means, friend.
>>
nyp(c)a
>>
File: Enchiladas.jpg (116 KB, 455x809) Image search: [Google]
Enchiladas.jpg
116 KB, 455x809
>>7414348

Asking for recipes and ideas is a personal army request? I disagree, sir.

Frankly, I thought /ck/ would be more excited to participate in this unique discussion and possibly have your recipe served to thousands of children in the US.

I won't give up just yet, though. And I apologize if I'm taking attention away from any New Burger King Hotdog discussion threads.
>>
It's been a long time since I've been sober enough to do meal planning for kids without getting paid for it.
>>
>>7414409
>excited to participate in this unique discussion

fuck off, you just want us to do all the work for you so you don't have to
>>
>>7414409

Frankly, if you can't figure this out on your own then you have no business being in a decision making position in the first place.
>>
File: Boyslunch.png (564 KB, 614x405) Image search: [Google]
Boyslunch.png
564 KB, 614x405
>>7414443

Hello my inebriated friend. I'm not asking for anybody to do any meal planning. In fact, I'm quite sure I don't really need /ck/'s help at all. I've got a pretty long list of ideas and recipes I've been putting together the last few days that are ready for R&D. (Can't wait to try the Sunflower Butter Ants on a Log Wrap)

I just thought there might be some people interested in what I'm doing, and willing to contribute something.
>>
Jamie Oliver, is that you?
I knew you'd never get those American schools to change their shit ways of cooking "food".
Kids probably won't eat anything healthy you make, anyways.
>>
>>7414474
this
>>
>>7414493
okay then, bye Felicia
>>
>>7414409
Is "unique discussion" the new term for "doing R&D for your alleged company and not getting paid"?
>>
File: turkey2.jpg (185 KB, 980x735) Image search: [Google]
turkey2.jpg
185 KB, 980x735
>>7414458

You got me. I totally expected /ck/ to create my entire spring menu.

>>7414474

Figure what out? I've been doing this for years. I've created hundreds of USDA certified recipes. I've served millions of meals. I've never lost a single client in my time as Executive Chef, Head of R&D, First Line Supervisor, or HAACP Food Safety Officer.
>>
>>7413943
>-Must contain minimum 2 ounces and maximum 3 ounces source of protein per serving
>-Must contain minium 2 ounces and maximum 3 ounces of grains per serving
What kind of retarded limitation is this
3 ounces of pork cracklin
3 ounces of buttered popcorn
>Affordable
>Appeals to fatties
>Easily modifiable
>>
>>7414199
She isn't white so it will be an uphill battle.
>>
File: pol attends a track meet.jpg (789 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
pol attends a track meet.jpg
789 KB, 2048x1536
>>7414503
Incidentally, I was in high school when Jamie Oliver was doing his food tour, and our school was selected. I actually met him, he's nice in person but his attempt at healthy lunch food failed miserably. They kept using his "healfy pizza" recipe until he fucked off and immediately switched back to the old recipe like nothing had ever happened.
>>
File: 0918288.jpg (57 KB, 670x445) Image search: [Google]
0918288.jpg
57 KB, 670x445
>>7414503

I actually despise Jamie Oliver. I've never seen him suggest any programs or ideas that are actually usable without massive sweeping reforms to the US school lunch programs. All he does is complain and nothing else to solve problems. I dunno, maybe it's different in the UK.

>>7414509

I don't know who Felicia is. Some /ck/ troll? Sadly I haven't been lurking /ck/ much in the last few years.

>>7414516

No, sir. Coming up with a recipe or an idea is not R&D.
>>
>>7414560
>They kept using his "healfy pizza" recipe until he fucked off and immediately switched back to the old recipe like nothing had ever happened.
Top kek
Can you recall the recipe?
>>
Just look up bento stuff I hate to sound like a weeb but the Asians have really figured out the packed lunch. Most of that is fairly healthy lots of choices and made to be taken with you
>>
>>7414565
I don't think there is much he, or anyone else, could do to make school lunches healthier without massive reform in the school lunch guidelines.
When you have to account for so many bullshit rules and regulations, there isn't much you can do.

>>7414565
bye felicia is a saying, not a person.
>>
Hi guys, head chef of Noma here, can you knock me up a few kooky/unique meals I can sell for a few hundo per plate?

Here are the rules:
-Cheap to source
-Can be prepped by untrained trainees
-Minimum of 2 live animals per serving
-Must contain minimum 2 1/4 cups flour (for a total of one half cup)
-A classic tweeeest

I've been doing this for 40 years and I've served three million meals, btw.
>>
>>7414568
I don't remember the recipe very well, but I can say for certain it wasn't very good and needed salt.

If I had to guess I'd say he probably used low-sodium tomato and low-fat cheese. Toppings were always the same options: pepperoni or cheese. Kind of amazing to think he wouldn't even put veggies on it.

He did other meals that were legitimately tasty like soft tacos and roast chicken, but it's hard to fuck those up. Then again, it's pretty hard to fuck up pizza
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (69 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
69 KB, 1600x900
>>7414555

I agree with you. There is also a set of requirements called CACFP (Child and Adult Care Food Program) and it is even more ridiculous, but if you meet the requirements there is a higher reimbursement rate.

>>7414560

Yeah that's what I assume happens to every school he visits. At least your school had a kitchen and actually cooked food. The biggest problem with school lunches in the US, in my opinion, is that schools outsource their school lunch programs to greedy large scale food manufacturers.
>>
>>7414589
He was probably limited to what he could add to the pizza, considering 'tomato sauce is a veg' he might not have been allowed to add more veg to it. Can't give the kids too many vegetables, now!
Also, your taste buds might have just been shit due to the high salt food you were eating before.
>>
File: 432434.jpg (85 KB, 730x593) Image search: [Google]
432434.jpg
85 KB, 730x593
>>7414569

Thanks for the suggestion. We've done a few different meal set-ups that could be considered bento-like.

>>7414579

I agree somewhat. However, my company has served millions of healthy meals over the past few years. It is possible, there just isn't much profit to be made. It's definitely an uphill battle.

>>7414583

I lol'd
>>
File: pizzabagels.jpg (67 KB, 484x648) Image search: [Google]
pizzabagels.jpg
67 KB, 484x648
>>7414601

We do pizza bagels. We use locally sourced cheese and whole wheat bagels from a local bakery. Pic related.

I had a good amount of success adding vegetables to them by dicing them very very fine and putting them under the cheese.
>>
Cooked cauliflower/broccoli party
Chicken Alfredo with peas, broccoli, and whole wheat pasta
Chicken nuggets with fresh baby carrots and salad bar availability
Lentil soup
>>
>>7414778
*patty
Some variant of healthy pizza
Healthy fries
More soup options

There, happy?
>>
>>7414778
>chicken nuggets

kill yourself
>>
File: sketti.jpg (22 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
sketti.jpg
22 KB, 240x320
>>7414778

I am happy, yes, and thank you. I've already got an alfredo recipe we've been using for a few years made with W.W. Rotini, peas, and a garlic/parmesan sauce that contains a bit of white bean puree. I had some for lunch today actually. I've got an old lentil soup recipe too, but kids really seem to hate lentils.

We don't do nuggers. We don't do any fried foods. Closest thing is a chicken breast sandwich with green leaf lettuce and whole wheat bun a la 'healthy McChicken'. That one is super popular. Also an unbattered version of General Tso's Chicken sweetened with Stevia instead of sugar.

I'm curious though, what is a cauliflower/broccoli party?
>>
>>7413943
Where's the REAL protein in that meal?

That just looks like some starchy vegan bullshit with raw carrots on the side. Yea, fuck that faggotry.

Now, serve it with some chicken or turkey breast, pork, or beef, steam the carrots, and serve the rest of that bullshit as a side item, and you've got a decent meal.
>>
Serve more meat you retard.
>>
File: ltmsand.jpg (66 KB, 648x484) Image search: [Google]
ltmsand.jpg
66 KB, 648x484
>>7414815

The protein source is black eyed peas.

I agree with you, to an extent. Personally I thought it was really good, but it wasn't widely accepted because it had too many vegetables and no meat. We still offer it to customers who request vegetarian meals.

Also, even though the photograph shows it plated, this was a sack lunch option meant to have no prep involved for customers.
>>
>>7413943
Did you serve the bean mush cold?
I've had that shit texture before, never again.
>>
File: CornTortillas.jpg (31 KB, 340x217) Image search: [Google]
CornTortillas.jpg
31 KB, 340x217
>>7414831

Hey now, I love meat, and we serve plenty of it, but we also have a lot of customers who request vegetarian items. This does create a challenge sometimes enticing kids who are used to nuggers and corndogs with vegetarian fare.
>>
>>7414815
In the beans?

Fucking fat American.
I know you're fat.
I can smell the gap between your fat rolls where the moisture can't escape.
Fat fuck. Fat pigdog.
Don't forget to clean the mushrooms from under your sacks of fat you disgusting fat pig.
>>
>>7414850

Well yes, it was served cold. It's a pasta salad. The beans are not mushy though. They are perfectly cooked.
>>
>>7414871
You're cooking food for kids?
Ya fucked up.
>>
File: 4234123.jpg (74 KB, 438x450) Image search: [Google]
4234123.jpg
74 KB, 438x450
>>7414879

I sure don't feel like I fucked up. Why would you say that?
>>
>>7414887
You're catering to adult tastes and not what kids enjoy eating.
>>
>>7413943
refried-beans-and-brown-rice-mixed-up inside rolled mini corn tortillas - maybe crisp them up under heat or something - served with cheese sticks and a tex-mexy dipping sauce. fruit on the side.
>>
>>7414887
Not that anon, but probably because kids are used to eating shit food at home and do not appreciate the work and health aspect of the food you are making them. Cook them something healthy and they complain that it isn't nuggers/fries/pizza/whatever shit their shitty excuse for parents feed them.

How much of the food you make ends up in the trash? Not because it's shit food, but because the children think it is.
>>
>>7414896
But kids enjoy eating what they are used to eating. Why does "kid food" even exist? Children should eat the same as adults, just less portions.
If you raise children eating corn dogs and nuggers, then when they get older I wonder what they'll like to eat....
>>
File: Fruit Platter.jpg (85 KB, 648x484) Image search: [Google]
Fruit Platter.jpg
85 KB, 648x484
>>7414896

The age range of customers we serve is 4-18 years old.

That being said, you're somewhat right. The kids didn't really like the israeli couscous primavera pasta salad, generally speaking.

We still have customers that order it though.
>>
>>7414909
Do you enjoy the same foods you enjoyed as a child?
Do you think tastes don't change?
Do you think children not liking strong flavored vegetables is a meme?
Have you ever wondered why food you liked when younger tastes different/worse now?
Did you taste wine or beer when you were a kid and found it bitter and disgusting?
>>
>>7414918
Literally the only food that I didn't like as a kid were onions.
And that's only because of the texture.
>>
File: Teens w veggies.jpg (168 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Teens w veggies.jpg
168 KB, 640x480
>>7414900

Thanks for the suggestion! We currently do a very similar bean and rice bowl served with tortilla chips. The problem with rolled tacos is the amount of time it takes to roll all those tacos by hand.

>>7414905
>>7414909

This is the biggest challenge I have when creating new recipes. We do have an extensive menu including over 100 currently active recipes, and many of them are aimed at the jaded junkfood palette of children used to being serviced by their local school districts. I have entire lines of entrees that are healthier versions of classic school lunch fare, which are all generally very well received.

Not just the recipes and ingredients but consideration into what sides are served as well as portioning are all part of our overall approach. We don't use any canned fruits or vegetables, chocolate milks, french fries, etc. so you won't find the classic "pizza, french fries, sugary canned peaches, and chocolate milk" American school lunch combination that this country is known for.
>>
>>7414909
>>7414918
This is seriously the most important thing. Getting them to eat the shit. Eating healthy is not even remotely a concern for them, kids will just throw away whatever they don't like. Ideal diet does not apply to them at all. You're much better off with a meal that's appealing enough for them to actually eat, even if it's only pretty good nutritionally.
>>
>>7414918
Yes, my parents cooked me actual "adult food"
They certainly do.
They don't like it because many reasons.
Different, maybe. Definitely not worse.
Tasted beer as a kid, didn't like it and still don't. Never tasted wine as a kid, I like it though.

But none of that disproves the fact that children enjoy food they are used to and everything else I said in that post.
>>
File: sally2.jpg (136 KB, 1143x857) Image search: [Google]
sally2.jpg
136 KB, 1143x857
>>7414918

Anon is correct, children generally have much more sensitive tastebuds than adults.

One of the most frustrating things I've ever had to deal with was multiple requests for a chili entree. It seemed like any amount of chili that I put in the recipe would immediately result in feedback that it was "too hot for the younger kids" resulting in more of a tomato stew than chili.

I did end up sourcing a very very mild chili powder that I use now and it ended up working quite well.
>>
>>7414966

err... wrong picture.. oh well.
>>
I'd imagine a cup of pasta, an apple and 3oz of grilled chicken is good
>>
What is a sack lunch?
>>
>>7414833
>The protein source is black eyed peas.

Exactly. Vegetable proteins do NOT offer the same benefits as animal proteins, period. You've got to eat more of that shit to get the same amount of protein, and we don't process it as efficiently.

Serve some meat, anon. Roast it, bake it, whatever. Hook a kid up with some chicken, turkey, fish, pork, beef, or something.

>>7414861

And then there's THIS bitter faggot.....
>>
>>7415487
Lunch bag.
>>
>>7413943
>gluten intolerant, and dairy intolerant children

Like actual intolerance or "my mommy needs to stop believing all the shit that comes out of Dr. Oz's mouth" intolerance?
>>
>>7415531
Protein is protein, it's all just amino acids, man.
It's not like carbs where you have complex and simple, you don't have complex protein and simple protein. It's all just protein. Your body doesn't know what it came from, just that it is amino acid chains and it's useful.
>>
File: Proteins bro.jpg (58 KB, 562x310) Image search: [Google]
Proteins bro.jpg
58 KB, 562x310
>>7415612
>Protein is protein,

Not so much.

That's why body builders and athletes aren't loading up on beans.

One of the reasons we became omnivores and started losing our veganfag characteristics, like the need for wisdom teeth and our appendix, is because the proteins in meat were easier to process, which meant that eating meat was more efficient and a far more effective approach to achieve our daily protein needs. The fact that eating meat allowed us to create a protein surplus is what allowed our brains to grow larger, and separated us from the rest of the great apes.
>>
>>7415739
Hm, nice to know. Always thought those reasons were simply because meat is more protein dense than other foods. I'll have to do more research on this.
>>
Oh hey my thread is still here. I'm on my laptop so I don't have any pics to share. (Sorry)

>>7415531

Check some of the images I'm posting. We do serve meat, usually 2-3 times a week. Considering that it's only a one meal of the day and only 2-3 times a week they aren't getting meat, I don't consider the inferior source of protein the kids are getting to be a problem.

Also, as an alternate meal vendor, we cater to our customers requests. Lots of customers opt for a fully vegetarian menu, which is their perogative. If we try to force things on them they will just source what they want elsewhere.

>>7415573

My belief is that most claims of gluten or dairy intolerance are fake, but I can't really operate under that assumption. The same goes with peanut allergy, which is still pretty rare as far as I know but I hear a lot of claims. I do know that there is at least one client with a child that has a legitimate peanut allergy because he had a reaction one time. The cause was not linked back to us, but it was a pretty big deal and we had to investigate. (The kid is fine btw they had epi pens on location)
>>
>>7414591
even places that have kitchens have so many problems. I mean, you get all sorts of shit from the USDA so what do schools do? Of course pitch together and just pay some company to make unhealthy shit. Deep frying shit is easier for them than actually cooking.
>>
>>7415739
Don't make me start defending beans via association with vegans. Beans are a wonderful source of protein because of the type it provides along with the other nutrients and fiber. Most people would be obscenely obese if they ate similar to body builders.
>>
When i was a kid i would refuse anything that had vegetables. I only eay meat, eggs and dairy to this day. Veggies are evil. I'm not trolling. I hate vegetables AND fruit. Potatoes are accepted tho
>>
There are people that live off meat only. And their bodys function only on meat diat. They would collaps on vegetarian diat and faint.
>>
>>7417891
Your parents should have slapped you silly for being such a picky little shit.
>>
>>7417859
What is wonderful about the type of protein in beans?
>>
>>7417932
stuff like
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/amino-acid-profile-beans-4952.html

it is also a fairly complete source of protein that is complimented well by a lot of cheap staples, particularly rice and grains
>>
Veggie (baby carrots/celery/raw broccoli/raw cauliflower/cherry tomatoes) and dip cups. Most kids I know bogart these at parties/events, and the fatter kids will probably enjoy the dip. Baby carrots are nearly universally beloved IF a dip is provided.

You can pair them with something akin to a baked empanada or pasty with different fillings. I liked chicken curry as a kid, maybe mixed veggies and meat stew with gravy, Mexican beans and onions, etc.
>>
>>7417966
It's a lot of carb to go through just for sub-optimal protein, no?
>>
>>7415739
athlete here, I eat a lot of beans. I also get protein from eggs, meat, whey, fish, cheese, yogurt, there's even protein in pasta. yes pasta.

protein completeness is a non-issue for someone with a varied and healthy diet. the reason people like you get fixated on stupid bullshit like this instead of worrying about the big picture is that you're like a helpless baby in the supermarket and your diet is restricted to like 3 things, over and over and over again.

stop pretending to be an expert in other people's diets and get better at managing your own. honestly I can tell you right now the average vegan probably knows his way around the kitchen better than you. let that sink in for a minute.
>>
>>7417985
Not if you aren't intentionally building mass or maintaining a whole lot of mass.
>>
>>7413943
there you go buddy
https://www.soylent.com/
its already copyrighted so you cant profit from it thats the best part
>>
>>7417994
In that case you would be better getting your calories from more nutrient rich foods
>>
>>7418014
If you were looking to increase mass or maintain a ridiculous amount of mass? Sure, but if you focus purely on meat for that, you'd better watch your fat intakes and keep the red meat to a minimum. Of course, if you're using steroids and that kind of shit, none of the other matters of nutrition we've been talking about will matter much, anyway.
>>
>>7417990
athlete here, ignore that, i suck cocks
>>
>>7418028
>steroids
Why did you bring this up?

Beans and grains are dry of vitamins and trace molecules so they are a poor choice to get the majority of your calories
>>
>>7417901
Mom slaped me, blackmailed me, yelled, beggd, cried, force feed me (witch ended up with bulumia nervosa in my medical records, not becouse i had it than becouse i puked when force feeded too much food) and she settled with that that i ate half an egg and 400 ml of milk for a day as a 6 year old.
I still puke 19 years later when i see raw tomatoes near my plate.
>>
>>7418058
Are you retarded? People are advocating for a healthy VARIED diet. Eat some goddamned beans. You will be better off for it.
>>
>>7418084
yeah but that might require him to actually learn his way around foods and vegetables. especially vegetables he heard those give B12 deficiency and estrogen. everyone should just eat hamburger helper all the time like him. don't you know beans aren't a complete protein?
>>
>>7418096
>>7418084
You are why /ck/ will always be a shitty board

Stop trying to sell me your peasant food and take a look at the large chip on your shoulder
>>
>>7418133
peasant food? what are you even talking about at this point? if anyone has a chip on his shoulder it's you, for thinking that eating nothing but ground beef and whey powder makes you some kind of wealthy patrician overlord
>>
>>7418138
Why do you keep talking about /fit/ nutrition? It has nothing to do with your shitty choice of staple
>>
>>7414966
omg so cute
>>
>>7418152
did you quote the wrong post?
>>
>>7418062

>Not liking raw tomatoes

Then again the issue with pickiness is how nonsensical it will seem to others. I'm not big on peas or green beans. I'll eat them no problem, but they aren't very appetizing to me.

>>7417972

That's a really good idea, and you can expand to some other stuff beyond the dip but I know from being a picky eater I'm totally on board for carrots/celery/cherry tomatoes/green peppers/ect.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.