[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stew Beef -- No Stew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: stew beef.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
stew beef.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
Hey everyone, so I have 3lbs of stew beef I need cook up, but I don't feel like making a stew. I just got a dutch oven for the first time so I was thinking about experimenting with that. Or searing the meat in a cast iron pan, I don't know.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do with the stew beef besides making a stew?
>>
You can make chili, though that's really just a kind of stew.

Maybe some tacos?
>>
First some questions:

What cut does this "stew beef" come from?

Would goulash, curry and slow-cooked soups be considered "stew" to you or do you specifically mean to avoid English-style beef stew?

How do you feel about utilising tenderiser powder?

Do you have a food processor or mincer?

What about a slow cooker?

Your answers will shape my suggestion.
>>
Beef stroganoff is really good is a dutch oven. You can cook up your meat and onion together by frying it in the dutch oven. Then make the sauce, add some fresh spices and bake the flavor in for 30min.

While its going, cook up the noodles in the dutch oven and serve
>>
>>7410646
I made chili last week, don't feel like it again. I was thinking about tacos last night, it's a possibility.

I hate cooking with it, but I was tasked to do so.

I was thinking of throwing it in my Ninja blender (thing has 3 sharp af blades capable of murder) and "grinding" it.

>>7410656
Don't know, it's in the fridge downstairs and from the supermarket, I didn't but it, was just asked to make something.
By "stew" I mean bland carrot and onion beef stew. I've never made curry, I'm cool with learning how to do that! Also never used tenderiser powder?
I have my aforementioned blender, a food processor, crock pot, dutch oven, you name it I probably have it.
>>
Stew meat is usually some tough and lean cut that's useless for other purposes. Its probably from the round. It wont have good marbling so needs braising and tenderizing or else will just be rubbery dry and stringy without good flavor.
Its cheap meat so you need very specific methods to make it good... long, moist, slow cooking is your best bet, hence why its called stew beef.
>>
>>7410683
So..... shit we all already knew? Doesn't mean you can't use it for something other than a boring ordinary stew...
>>
>>7410665
Here's some suggestions:

Goulash and paprikash are both tasty stews that might be just far removed enough from the carrot-and-onion stew you're already familiar with to be of interest to you.
The Hungarian original is made with bone-in meat while perkelt is made with boneless stewing beef, as you've got. However, foreign versions, though called goulash, are made combining the techniques and ingredients of the three dishes I just mentioned.

For example, Resian-style goulash is made with a paprika roux like paprikash, uses caraway like goulash and is made boneless like a perkelt. Does that sound like it might interest you?

If not, there are several beef curries. My favourite is from Burma and is built on a base of caramelised onions, but it takes a very, very long time to make it.

I asked about tenderiser because that could help the texture of the meat and extend its usefulness beyond stew and perhaps into the realm of stir-fry or sauté.

A food processor can grind the beef into mince to be used in making meatloaf or meatballs or burgers or whathaveyou. If the beef is very lean, I recommend adding 20g of animal fat, such as bacon fat or beef suet, per 80g of meat.

Finally, you can slow cook the beef for several hours, then whip it about in the pot to break it up into strands. They can then be used as a sandwich filling, like pulled brisket... only not brisket. All you need is some tenderiser and a flavourful liquid then, after it's cooked, you can flavour the beef strands however you'd like.
>>
>>7410733
It's ground chuck btw, I went and looked at the package. It's too late in the day to start any of this but I've wrote curry powder and tenderizer down on my list and am going shopping tomorrow so I'll look for those.

Thanks alot for your suggestions, I'd really like to try and make a curry, never had it before, never made it, so it should be a fun experiment!
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.