[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you react when you fuck up in the kitchen? Even great
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: kitchen-disaster.jpg (67 KB, 339x250) Image search: [Google]
kitchen-disaster.jpg
67 KB, 339x250
How do you react when you fuck up in the kitchen?

Even great chefs do it. So when you overcook that steak, when you unde rboil that pasta, when your chicken is raw on the inside and burnt on the outside, how do you handle it?

I clean my whole kitchen from top to bottom. I also mentally berate myself the whole time and will force myself to eat the food no matter how badly prepared as self punishment.

Typing it out it seems kind of crazy, now. Otherwise I'm a normal person, I don't fuck up too often cooking anyways.
>>
I cut the plug off the toaster once when I burnt some toast. I nearly blew myself up but I was in such a rage I didn't care. Fuck know why but I get angrier and angrier the longer the cooking of a meal goes on to the point that I'm nuts by the time it comes to plating up. My gf thinks I'm a weirdo
>>
>>7409978
OP here, I think it's the build up. You spend an hour making something, people are waiting, it's gonna be so good and then...your dumb ass wasn't paying attention to the heat, you didn't season your properly, didn't mix enough, etc.

It's that disappointment that makes me feel that way. Bothers my gf too but shit, there's one thing I'm competent at in life and that's cooking. When I fuck it up its just...I dunno.
>>
Depends on my current mental state. If i'm depressed and I fuck something up i'll slam my shitty dishes and swear out loud quite a lot (only if i'm home alone). Sometimes i'm tempted to smash my plates and shit but i've only ever smashed one bowl

I then don't usually cook for 2 weeks or so
>>
>>7410009
>don't usually cook for 2 weeks
???
How do you eaaaaaat tho
>>
I usually just get sad and mopey and do my best to fix it. It doesn't always work out though. No matter what I always think carefully about why it happened and how to prevent/avoid it in the future. I don't usually make the same mistake twice. I don't often ruin food though, just make it not as good as it could have been.
>>
>>7410013
I hardly eat and if I do it's take out
>>
Rage.
Very rarely, I will throw it away entirely.
I think it's because I don't want someone to taste my failures and constantly lie to my face about how delicious it is. Most of the time they genuinely are not even lying tho as I am my own harshest critic and won't listen to anyone else if I dislike something, it probably tastes fine.
If it's the bf or my bro I've cooked for I'll usually verbalise everything that is wrong with it as I eat it. They hate it so much but it's this weird compulsion to point out what's wrong so that they know that I know it's not right.
Yeah I get mad obsessive in the kitchen. I was making salsa tonight and threw away about 20% of the cucumber and tomato I was dicing because it wasn't consistent.
>>
>>7409596
Fucks sake, I've never been able to identify with most people when it comes to this stuff, people will freak out over the pettiest shit. This would only bother me if I'm cooking for a girl or something big for my whole family. Otherwise, just take notes of why you fucked up, throw it away, and eat something simple like a sandwich. You guys need to simmer down.
>>
>>7410041
You think a fuckin sandwich will fix this shit mate? A FUCKIN SANDWICH?!?!?
>>
i mope and throw it out if it's bad enough

bad food makes me UPSET

i'll cry about it sometimes

it's literally the worst
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 443x332
>>7410103
Cry?
Are you sure it's the food that's causing that?
>>
Fucked up a chicken 2 days ago, it was raw inside even though I cooked it twice as long as the recipe said. I got so angry my girlfriend got upset and went home. I still don't feel like cooking anymore so I've just had frozen pizzas for these past 2 days.
>>
>all this rage

Ya'll could use a little therapy
>>
>try banana bread for the first time
>looks good
>cut it, hard crust, mush on the inside
>oh.tiff
>roommate and I both have a good slice with some icecream on top
Tasted fine, but threw the rest out the next day, it deflated and solidified. Next time I'll try with one less banana and another oven setting.
>>
>>7410317
That's why it's good to have a bamboo skewer or chopstick on hand to test the inside while still in the pan. Banana bread is good like that where you can throw it back in the oven wrapped in tin foil and not risk burning the outside while cooking the inside.
>>
>>7409596
I'm depressed and I finally worked up the energy to cook something. It was only a grilled cheese, and I burnt the fuck out of it, and I think I broke down and cried. I think that's the worst reaction I had to a cooking mistake, though.
>>
>>7410283
this. ya'll sound like a bunch of tantrum filled children. learn from your mistake and move the fuck on
>>
I get really angry. I think about killing myself when it happens, and if there isn't anyone else eating with me I might just throw it all away and eat junk food while trying not to cry.
>>
Depends on how big of a fuck up it is. If it's just a meal I'm making for myself and it's slightly burned or looks like shit, then no big deal. If it's some grandiose recipe I'm making for others, I go ballistic. Whenever I get angry I get extremely hostile and start beating the shit out of myself. I had to go to the hospital once after screwing up a pork roast because I stabbed myself with a carving knife.
>>
>mess up food
>rage out
>throw food against the wall just above the trash can
>pace around the house for an hour berating myself under my breath and hitting my own head
>take an hour long ice cold shower
>take a shit directly in the ruined food which by now has slid into the garbage from the wall
>drink vodka till I pass out
>>
Holy shit you guys are worse than /v/ breaking controllers.
>>
>cooking some chicken breasts
>pan too hot, outside burns inside doesn't cook at all
>slap myself in the face a few times
>accidentally hit too hard and give myself a bruise on my face
>go to work the next day
>"N-no, coworker, the...dog just uh...jumped on me..."

Is there a connection between food and emotional irrationality? Sometimes I swear I understand why these chefs kill themselves, though I don't think I've ever fucked up THAT bad that suicide was an option...
>>
>>7410481
Chefs don't kill themselves because of fuckups. It's not as if 2- and 3-star chefs are burning the chicken. They kill themselves because the world of high-end restaurant ratings is highly subjective. It's as much a "popularity contest" as it is about the food itself. And the repercussions are huge. Not only is there the ego thing, but ratings can make or break a business. Get a higher rating and you make serious money. Go down a rating and you might very well loose your business.
>>
>>7409978
>>7410174
>>7410449
>>7410471
>>7410473
>>7410481

didn't know there were so many psychos on this board goddamn
>>
>>7410511
Do you even know what psycho means? Psycho means either psychotic (i.e., delusional) or psychopathic. We're not psychopaths just for getting angry when our time and money gets wasted.
>>
>>7410511
Cocaine's one hell of a drug anon
>>
>>7410051
yes
>>
>>7410493
Yeah, true facts.

I just meant that if I'm feeling the pressure and anger just cooking fucking chicken and rice, I can only imagine what it's like when it's 100 meals and your reputation hangs on it every night.
>>
>>7410511
>a Malaysian basket weaving forum frequented by angry men is full of angry men

Wow!
>>
learn to control your emotions, people. adults who throw temper tantrums are terrible people to be around. i get upset if something i spent a lot of time doesn't turn out, but i don't translate that to physical rage. i mostly feel a little depressed and then make sure i learn from the mistake.
>>
>>7410517
you're a child who throws tantrums
>>
>under boil pasta
How? Just boil it more.

Over boil I can understand.
>>
>>7410371
I kno dat feel bro.
>>
>>7410550

They probably drained the hot water away before checking the pasta and couldn't be bothered to boil a new pot.
>>
>>7410550
>>7411164
Or sauced it before checking to see why it's done, though why one would do that I have no odea.
>>
I fucked up a chilli five years ago.
Haven't ever tried again out of spite.
>>
>>7411205

my mom does this
>>
>>7409596
Since I'm not an infant I don't throw temper tantrums.
>>
>>7410533
same desu
>>
>>7409596
At work I just try to refire the dish and I swear at myself. I have to be quick.

At home? I throw pans. I yell. Then, like you, I clean the kitchen top to bottom.
>>
>>7410526
>100 meals

Try 300-400 for most busy restaurants on a friday or saturday
>>
>>7410473
>hitting my own head

i know this is le funni joke post but anyone else do this when they were a kid?
>>
>>7410533
there is a time for control and there is a time for tantrums -- namely, alone. you sound whipped
>>
>Caring about the meal
Feel y'all. Every time I fucked up in the kitchen I would curse up a thunder cunt of a storm but move on and redo it. Drink everyday anyways so move on to the next day.
>>
>>7411496
I still do it because I'm a raging manchild when I play video games.
>>
>this thread
Y'all be baiting right? I just sigh, eat the damn thing and move on.
>>
>>7409596
Shrug
Dump the shittified food if it cannot be saved
Make something easy or instant that I can't fuck up
Learn from mistake and move on

Though I will admit when I have a lot on the line and I fuck it up, I finish the rest of the meal, save what I can. Then go into the other room and stew in my rage for a good 30 minutes cuz I'm usually too mad to eat it. Then I make a sammich and go lay down cuz the depression of having planned everything out only for it to go awry hits and I need a fuckin nap to deal with that shit. These instances don't happen very often, and it can be months to years before I have a fuck up that bad that I need to take a nap to calm the fuck down. Usually only happens if I have a very unpleasant day and this was to be the one saving grace that got screwed to hell and back.
>>
>>7409596
Being a good cook means being a perfectionist. I only give a shit when cooking for others, but when I fuck up I swear a lot.
>>
>>7410131
I've cried over bad food before. Then again, it was more over it was the last straw for a shitty day and I had been looking forward to at least eating some good food and fucking it up just is the last thing to tear your soul out, so crying and eating cereal is kinda the only option you have left and while it's cathartic, you still feel like a complete loser afterwards.
>>
>>7410434
We do. Just sometimes it's the last straw to an already shit filled day. You saying you've never had a day so filled with shit that one little fuck up sends you over the edge? Cuz honestly I'd find that more worrying, cuz at least we let out our emotional buildup. When you blow, it's gonna be scary as hell.
>>
I force myself to eat it anyway.
I'm poor.
>>
>>7411307
That's basically admitting that you throw the worst temper tantrums and are too much of a machismo bitch to ever admit to being human and losing control of your emotions from time to time, you know, like every NORMAL adult human does.
>>
File: true-cook.jpg (137 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
true-cook.jpg
137 KB, 1600x1066
>>7409596
Depends on my sobriety. I've fucked up a grilled cheese whilst drunk and proceeded to smash the frying pan on my counter, scream for a bit, and then shots and try again. I've fucked up a hollandaise sober (too much lemon juice) and shrug it off and then shots and try again.
Life is a flat circle
>>
>>7410041
>beeing all excited you gonna cook your favourite meal today
>hungry because didnt ate anything
>fuck up meal
How can you not be trashing your kitchen?

One time i wanted to make waffles and they kept sticking at the (old) waffle iron and breaking in the process i just took the iron and threw it on the floor

Another time i wanted to make pfannkuchen and thex kept sticking in the pan and breaking so i hit the pan on the floor until it had a massive dent

My gf's always know im like that and just put if with it tho
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.