[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My onions in the slow cooker are almost done caramalising,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12
File: 20160224_085406.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160224_085406.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
My onions in the slow cooker are almost done caramalising,

I tried a bit but I'm afraid I'm not getting a big punch of flavour, tastes almost no different than onions flash grilled at a Bunnings charity BBQ.

Should I let it be, add some bullion or spices? The recipe only called for butter and salt. They didnt tell about draining the liquid either, because there's a tonne of it.
>>
>>7408224
Well done, you committed a war crime against onions. I hope you're please with yourself.
>>
>>7408238
Lol
How do you like them?
Typically I like them grilled like they do at Bunnings, with all the Coles sausage drippings mixed in, hence this trial.
>>
>caramelize
>onions are completely white and soupy

clearly u fucked up
>>
>>7408224
>almost done caramelising
No they're not
>>
>>7408262
Clearly you can't read - I said they're almost done. Come back in a few hours if you want to feel better about yourself.
>>
>>7408273
Pedantic semantics is all anyone on this board has to say?

Doesn't anyone cook here? Or are we all learning together?
>>
>>7408224
I recently tried caramelising onions the other day, I had never attempted it before. All I did was heat some oil and butter, then lowered the heat as much as it would go.
>>
>>7408277
It isn't pedantic or a semantic argument to say that those are not nearly done. Currently they taste like your quickly-fried ones because they need lots of time to build depth of flavour and for the sweetness of the onions to come through. Truly caramelised onions should be deep, deep gold. Butter and salt truly is all you need - although bear in mind that they will take a good amount of seasoning because the sweetness can be overwhelming.
>>
>>7408290
I've only ever caramalised onions once before this, and it was on a pan too. I can't remember how long it took, because I remember I used to make it into French Onion soup and that's the only part my brain thought was significant remembering.
How long did it take you?
This has gone overnight, but I guess because the batch is so big, it was almost half a kilo of white onions.
>>
>>7408297
I dunno, I assumed that since this has been stewing in that pot for at least 11 hrs that it'd be closer to the end.

And yeah, it would have made my OP longwinded if I mentioned it, but I'm aware of the colour I'm aiming for. I wonder now if it's due to adding things or just purely cooking it for ages.

Also should I decant all that water? Looks like 2 cups in there. I'm thinking it's because the lid on the cooker didn't let the steam escape like doing it in a pan. Looks like it's boiling them now.
>>
>>7408277
>Pedantic semantics
How thick are you?
They don't taste good because
they
aren't
done
yet?
>>
>>7408316
I understand
>>
>>7408315
Never assume! Cooking doesn't follow a schedule - it's done when it's done and that's that.

Another anon might put me right - I don't caramelise onions in the slow cooker personally - but I would remove most of the liquid which ordinarily would be evaporated off. Leave a little (a tbsp or so) in to keep them moist though.
>>
>>7408315

Its cause you left the lid on and stewed them, dumbass.. Drain water and caranelize them in a pan now. Theyll be delicious.
>>
I caramelize onions in a skillet. Takes about 25 minutes for 1 medium onion, and about 40 for 3 large onions.

I have never heard of using a slow cooker for them
>>
File: 1264816371713.jpg (97 KB, 418x384) Image search: [Google]
1264816371713.jpg
97 KB, 418x384
>slow cooker
>for caramalising

why tho?
>>
>thinking you can properly carmelize onions in a slow cooker

Just leave the cooking to the pros please
>>
I'm sorry but does anyone not see how fucking retarded this is?
>>
>>7408423
My wife's boyfriend agrees
>>
File: 1455320338269.jpg (27 KB, 372x300) Image search: [Google]
1455320338269.jpg
27 KB, 372x300
Why didn't you just cook them on a skillet?
>>
>>7409405

OP here

I did it because I am a very busy person, after I come home from the cafeteria I am exhausted, I take out one of the hardboiled eggs I boiled the morning before and I lightly pepper it to perfection, then I take out the slow cooker and rinse it with a little vinegar and baking soda from all the egg residue that's left from making hardboiled eggs, then I put in some onions with canola oil and season with salt - approximately 3/4 of the surface, that's how I know I haven't used too much, then I let my onions boil in salt water for the rest of the night while I relax with my foot bath while using my shakeweight. What's so hard to understand?

>he doesn't boil onions when he comes home from the cafeteria
>>
Mmm. Poached onions.

The anon saying you just need butter and salt is right, but you should experiment with introducing one other flavour - Bay leaf, cinnamon or star anise work well.

You can also add a splash of something at the end, sherry, chicken stock, white wine etc
>>
Why is everyone such a cunt?

Drain it, shouldn't have that much water.
>>
>>7408224
It's been over a couple of hours. Where are those caramelized onions? Or did you just throw that abortion into the trash?
>>
File: cooked-onions.jpg (300 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
cooked-onions.jpg
300 KB, 1000x750
I've never done them ina slow cooker (mostly because of your OP, I figure they would steam).

But caramelized onions should look like pic related... If anything I tend to add water once or twice as I cook them so they don't stick (it also deglazes the pan and coats the onions in the caramelized sugars).

Once they are the color I like I them I sometimes delgaze a final time with some white balsamic vinegar if I want more sweetness or with Sherry vinegar if I want more bite...
>>
>>7410012
No, one of my dickhead roommates unplugged it from the wall so he could use his Nutribullet so I'm just gonna see how brown it goes for fun. Not gonna eat it, pretty sure some bacteria got in.

Why do you think what I made is so bad? Everyone kept saying I haven't even finished it.

>>7409477
Sounds good, I have bay leaves

>>7409465
You're really bad at pretending you're me

>>7409405
>>7409327
>>7408423
>>7408414
For fucks sake.
I mostly make stews and curry in this slow cooker, so I went to try something that isn't rice pudding or some shit because I hate desserts. Can't believe I even have to explain that.

Bumped into the first recipe that sounded interesting, so just did this:
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-caramelize-onions-in-the-slow-cooker-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193413

A kilo bag of onions is less than a dollar. If you guys shit your pants experimenting on something worth dirt then you need to get a job.
>>
>>7409578
I did, earlier on in the thread.

>>7410035
They look good! I didn't even know what deglaze meant, cheers.
I don't have any alcohol so next time I'll go try it.
>>
>>7410046
You can deglaze a pan with water. Any liquid will do, it will release all the delicious stuck bits at the bottom of your pan :-)

The ones in my picture were 30-40 minutes on medium-low heat, 2 large vidalia onions, 2 tbs butter and a pinch of salt and pepper.
>>
>>7408244
Ultimate Ausfag detected.
OP is a bogan.
>>
File: 1451364647577.png (10 KB, 326x383) Image search: [Google]
1451364647577.png
10 KB, 326x383
>>7410052
>not enjoying a bunnings bbq
And you probably support terrorism too
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 391x376) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 391x376
>>7410066
Mate, you enjoy Coles sausages too.
You blatantly know nothing about food or cooking.
>>
File: 3.jpg (165 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
165 KB, 640x480
>>7410075
Mad Coles isn't Halal yet?
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 493x299) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 493x299
>>7410087
u sad Halal is funding terrorism?
>>
>trying to caramelize ANYTHING in a fucking slow cooker

the retard is strong with this one
>>
>>7410044

op you're a dumbass. they are shit because you boiled them. they wouldn't get bacteria in a couple hours, and you can always just heat them again. you are probably one of those faggots who thinks a chicken breast needs to be cooked for a minimum 1 hour on 400.

next time you want to try this, keep the lid off. dipshit
>>
>caramelizing
>in a slow cooker
Holy shit I'm laffin, thanks op made my day.
>>
>>7410178

you can caramelise in a slow cooker you mong, it just takes a while.
>>
>>7410837
>>7410178

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-caramelize-onions-in-the-slow-cooker-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193413
>>
>>7410844

It's pretty idiotic to do so, especially with the lid off. The key to making caramelized onions is to cook out the water. That's not going to happen with the lid on!
>>
>>7410844
But it doesn't make sense. The process for caramalising onions isn't crazy. You put on some music/podcast/whatever to keep you busy and get it done. Putting it in a slowcooker is retarded when you realize how simple it is otherwise.
>>
>>7410869
>>7410875

no one said it's crazy, but doing it hands on is clearly orders of magnitude more laborious than using a slow cooker. use your brain.
>>
>>7410889

Sure it's a little laborious but it produces a better product. Don't be so lazy and use the damn pan.

I find it's not much of an issue at all: I start the onions first, then they can cook while I'm doing the rest of the prep for whatever they will be going into.
>>
>>7408224
Hey OP. Fuck all these guys. I've carmalized onions in my Crock Pot last week for an experiment, and guess what? They came out fucking delicious.

Onions, butter, bay leaf. And let that shit go. You may need to stir once every 2-3 hours, but they came out magnificent.

My crockpot is always on the bottom floor while I work upstairs, but if you are on the same floor, you can turn it from low to -"medHi-High" whatever the settings are.

It amazes me how stupid the teenagers who post here are.
>>
File: carmalized onions.jpg (4 MB, 4288x3216) Image search: [Google]
carmalized onions.jpg
4 MB, 4288x3216
Place pot over medium-high heat. Cook onions, stirring frequently and scraping bottom and sides of pot, until liquid evaporates and onions brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until pot bottom is coated with dark crust, 6 to 8 minutes, adjusting heat as necessary. Stir in 1/4 cup water, scraping pot bottom and cook until water evaporates and pot bottom has formed another dark crust, 6 to 8 minutes. Repeat process 2 or 3 x, until onions are very dark brown.
>>
>>7410922

>it produces a better product.

no it doesn't. most people caramelise their onions too fast for the deep and thorough caramelisation that this very low temperature method will achieve.

> Don't be so lazy

finding a less labour intensive way of doing something isn't necessarily lazy.
>>
File: shitty french onion soup.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
shitty french onion soup.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Shouldn't people know just by the color that the onions are no where near done.

Here's a pic of some faggot here that tried to make french onion soup
>>
>>7410952
Just because some people use the pan improperly doesn't mean it's a poor method.

The advantage of the pan is that the water evaporates more readily which is key to getting good caramelized onions. Yes, it's possible to screw it up but that doesn't mean it's a bad method. Anything in cooking can be done improperly....like, say...OP's failed attempt at using the crock pot.
>>
>>7411016

>Just because some people use the pan improperly doesn't mean it's a poor method.

i didn't say it was a poor method.

>The advantage of the pan is that the water evaporates more readily which is key to getting good caramelized onions.

more 'readily' means more quickly. no one is disputing that the slow cooker is slow.
>>
It takes fucking 5 minutes to make caramelized onions in a skillet

are you so lazy that you would rather wait 8 hours instead of spending 5 minutes at your stove??
>>
>>7411033
>i didn't say it was a poor method.
Your statement here implies it's a poor method:
>>no it doesn't. most people caramelise their onions too fast for the...

>>more 'readily' means more quickly.
If you leave the lid on the slow cooker it doesn't happen at all.
>>
>>7411054

No. You're talking about sauteed onions. Caramelized is a totally different thing.
>>
>>7411078
>most people
No, that statement actually draws attention to the fact that the PEOPLE are the problem with the skillet method, not the method itself. Reading comprehension.
>>
>>7411078

i said it wasn't a superior method. the implication was just that people are more likely to actually caramelise their onions when they aren't tasked with slaving over the stove to do it. they won't be as likely to rush it. both are equally viable methods in the abstract, they're fundamentally the same thing.
>>
File: caramelized-onions.jpg (309 KB, 715x554) Image search: [Google]
caramelized-onions.jpg
309 KB, 715x554
>>7411054
Do you know what caramelized onions even look like you fucking mong?
>5 minutes
Try an hour, minimum.
Work smarter, not harder, right? I can caramelize a giant fucking bag of onions all in one go, freeze in portions, and then I have them instantly when I want them.
>>
File: 1442887735874.jpg (80 KB, 417x600) Image search: [Google]
1442887735874.jpg
80 KB, 417x600
>>7410044
>wanted to make something new in a slow cooker
>didn't try to make beans
>or cook a roast
>takes 10 hours to make caramelized onions in slow cooker
>OP proceeds to post his onion soup
>hey /ck/ my caramelized onions are almost done but they're not right
>can't comprehend why people are mocking him

where did it all go wrong?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.