[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thoughts on cultured meat?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: memphismeats-107.jpg (83 KB, 840x485) Image search: [Google]
memphismeats-107.jpg
83 KB, 840x485
https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/meat-without-murder
>speaks with Uma Valeti, cardiologist and CEO of Memphis Meats, about the future of food production.

http://fortune.com/2016/02/02/lab-grown-memphis-meats/
>>
File: kanye salami.jpg (581 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kanye salami.jpg
581 KB, 1280x720
>2016
>not eating kanye's man meat
>>
>>7405147
wat...
>>
>>7405141
It's unnatural and unnecessary. Like multiculturalism.
>>
>>7405153
u sound like ppl on the irc net i go on
gud 1
>>
Let's get this straight. The justification for cultured meats is:

A) Maybe it's mean to kill animals for food
B) Muh possible animal cruelty

That's pretty what this is all about, right?
>>
>tfw taking your chickens to the opera
>>
>>7405173

Plus, you know, the fact that producing meat uses tons of resources and makes tons of waste..

I dont see any reason why we cant use cultured meat for fast food.. In fact itd probably be an improvement.
>>
>>7405173

if you don't think that in an ideal world we'd all be eating food that is as nutritious and satisfying as meat without slaughtering animals, you're an edgemaster.
>>
>>7405208
But then those animals wouldn't be able to experience the loveliness of existence :).
>>
>>7405208
Has it occurred to you that humans are a part of the animal kingdom and the food chain as well, and that we also need to kill in order the ecosystem in balance?

Do you also believe that deer hunting is evil?
>>
>>7405210
A smaller population living naturally, or at least far better taken care of, is way superior to a massive population of sunlight-deprived meat machines, jammed into cages, artificially grown and maintained by humans

I fucking love meat, but factory farming is unsustainable without making significant concessions to the animal's normal existence. I want to raise and kill my own stuff.
>>
>>7405153
Like GMOs amirite?
>>
>>7405173
so this memphis meat dude in the podcast has said they are able to control what kind of nutrients the meat will have, like adding good fats like omega 3.

coupled with how less of a energy dump it apparently is compared to how livestock is raised normally.
>amount of land required
>hay, corn, etc food need to feed the livestock
>the just gigantic amount of water needed to grow the crops and to keep the animals hydrated is crazy
>>
When it becomes cheaper to grow meat in a petri dish then on a farm i might consider it
>>
>>7405225

culling wild populations=/=farming you dingus. obviously killing animals for ecological reasons in some situations will still be necessary unless we come up with some alternative solution.
>>
>>7405225

How could you possibly be so stupid as to compare culling unchecked animal populations to factory farming?

If this wasnt bait, god damn..
>>
>>7405141
Seems like a complete waste of time considering we already have many perfectly good sources of meat, but would certainly be willing to try it if the price was right
>>
>>7405247

Do you think meat just grows out of the ground?

Idk how long it takes to grow a baby cow into a 2,000 lb cow, but i bet it takes a while. It wont replace all meat but for shit like burgers and sausage or whatever, its going to revolutionize fast food
>>
i am all for it.
>>
>>7405237
>>7405240
Something a lot of people don't know is that certain species of fauna have to die at a certain rate to maintain a healthy ecosystem. Like I queried this poster >>7405208 right here >>7405225. Deer, for example, have to be culled every year at a specific rate. If you let them roam free and reproduce unchecked, they'll eventually grow so high in numbers that they'll completely eat away at flora that other species rely on for survival. There's a reason why a set number of hunting licenses are issued every year and those who over-hunt can face criminal charges. Humans have to kill. It's our duty. We have this stuff down to a science.
>>
>>7405247
>>7405253
It takes a lot. Not only do you have to raise millions of animals in a controlled environment, but you also need to grow all the feed and keep them watered. The food/resources that goes into raising other food is ridiculous.
>>
>>7405253
apparently they are planning on releasing more simple meats like meatballs, hotdogs, burgers, and such first. so you are on the right track.

being able to eat fast food meats that could be made with more nutrients without the usual process that add excess additives like antibiotics and pathogens would revolutionize the world
>>
I think that if it's more efficient than farming in the future, we should absolutely swap to it. The process of taking care of livestock uses up truly massive amounts of money and if we can avoid that, it would be a great day both for making non-processed goods available for poor communities and also reducing, for instance, the massive methane dosage that comes with our cow stock.
>>
I imagine the job-shift would take quite a while.
>>
>>7405264

>Humans have to kill.

that's going a bit far, but fine. one of the reasons we 'have to' kill on the current scale is because we can't get meat by other means. this is a meaningful potential alternative.
>>
How much does this meat cost to produce?

Is there anything saying it is cheaper then regular farming ?
>>
>>7405273
>for making non-processed
The fuck does processed even mean anymore if culture grown meat is considered unprocessed?
>>
>>7405311
It means meat. Y'know, just ol' meat? Nothing extra in there to try and space out the costly meat and reduce price, stuff like that?

>>7405300
It almost certainly isn't yet, but it's a start.
>>
>>7405281

Its not that humans have to kill, dumbass. Its that deer need to be killed since wolf populations have been decimated. It is OUR DUTY to kill them since we killed off the animal that kept their populations in check.
>>
>>7405323

>Its not that humans have to kill, dumbass.

you said it dude.

> Its that deer need to be killed since wolf populations have been decimated.

no one is arguing with culling for christ's sake, the point is that we aren't talking about culling we are talking about farming. you can make an ethical argument for culling that isn't addressed by the existence of cultured meat, but you can't make the same argument for farming animals, which is inarguably detrimental to the ecosystem on an industrial scale, as well as unethical in the face of this hypothetical alternative.
>>
>>7405264

That's actually a much better argument for reintroducing wolves to areas they have been extirpated from. That would have a far greater impact on checking deer population growth than regulated hunting does.
>>
>>7405264
>op here
i totally am for hunting, especially to curb invasive species and over population.

i would say wild hogs, pigs are more of an issue in america cuz they literally eat everything.
>>
>>7405300
At this point? Prohibitively expensive. But improved methods and the economies of scale that come with mass production might make it viable, eventually.
>>
>>7405343
Different anon here. I don't think personal/smallholding farming is unethical, but the industrialized meat farming which we perform is certainly unethical, especially when compared to vat-meat.
>>
>>7405323
So the solution is to reintroduce wolves to the ecosystem, right?
>>
>>7405343

We dont cull deer populations because we need food. Lab grown meat has literally nothing to do with wild game and it wont impact hunting whatsoever.

Im not even sure what were arguing about at this point, m8.
>>
>>7405368

Why the fuck would we introduce an annoyance that we already got rid of? Wolves got snuffed out because they fucked with livestock and peoples $$/livelihoods if they had animals.

We have better fences and shit now though, so idk. Maybe wolves could be chill.
>>
>>7405379

>We dont cull deer populations because we need food. Lab grown meat has literally nothing to do with wild game and it wont impact hunting whatsoever.

how do you not see that i completely understand that. this is my point - culling has no bearing on the subject. you only bring it up because it is a more ethically justified scenario of animal slaughter. it does not mean all animal slaughter is ethical.
>>
>>7405379

He was just shitposting. If he actually cared about the effects of extirpating an ecosystems apex predator, he would be talking about reintroducing wolves instead of hunting.
>>
>>7405397

>He was just shitposting.

learn to follow a fucking conversation thread jesus christ.
>>
>>7405389
a lot of cows are raised indoors anyway.
>>
>>7405389

If lab grown meat ever reaches a point it can outcompete farm raised meat on price, then we can rewild all the land ranchers are forced to abandon as a consequence.
>>
>>7405242
>>7405244
I understand your points, and I'm aware that factory farming has led to some inhumane practices, but what do cows stand to gain from humans consuming mostly cultured beef?

I know that sounds retarded, but what will happen to the cows if we cease harvesting them the way we do? We either keep them in giant pens and control their lifestyle for many decades while altering the migration patterns of other animals, or we release them to the wild and totally fuck up the circle of life.
>>
>>7405141

If cultured meat is a carbon copy of real meat that produces no ill effects within people who consume it, then it will revolutionize the food industry.

Nevertheless, something tells me that there might be some kind of hidden flaw in all this, much like the popcorn lung that vapor huffers get after blowing on their robot penises.
>>
>>7405462

that's an entirely worthwhile question to ask going forward, but i think you'd have to do a lot of work to show that the harm done to them by eliminating factory farming is actually greater than the harm done to them by perpetuating it.
>>
>>7405462

Where did you receive your doctorate in shitposting? It's very refined.
>>
>>7405495

my dissertation was on fucking your mom

i earned that doctorate, faggot nigger
>>
>>7405474
>>7405462

and of course once you do that, we have to consider it in relation to the environmental question. if replacing farmed meat with cultured meat makes a significant difference to water and energy usage that's going to be a big factor in the whole conversation.
>>
my favourite part about cultured meats, and the part that will likely allow it to become more "mainstream" as a lot of people probably prefer the idea of meat from an actual animal, is the concept of "novelty/exotic" meats. I'm not talking just legal human meat, but other unprofitable, unviable, or simply impossible meats like alligator, elephant, gorilla, penguin, whale, etc. even extinct species like wooly mammoth. all it takes is a few cultures and a working growing facility.
>>
>>7405141
As long as it's indistinguishable from real meat in every way, and it's as cheap or cheaper than real meat, I'd eat lab grown meat; but it must be EXACTLY the same as real meat.
>>
>>7405147
that feels like it's bordering on cannibalism...
>>
>>7405147
The Kanye salami comes in a plain brown box. you open the box and it contains a small Petri dish and a 1oz paper packet simply labelled "Kanye"
The outside of the packet instructs you to spit into the Petri dish, and then mix in the Kanye-dust liberally.
As your genetic information and that of Kanye meld together, something amazing is happening on a microscopic level.
You leave the dish on your radiator to gestate overnight.
In the morning you expectantly check the dish, hoping that perhaps it is ready.
To your satisfaction, a tiny lump of flesh has grown up so as to push the lid of the dish off it's moorings.
You know this is the key moment, so you waste no time in placing the lump of grey flesh in your Kanye™ officially licensed latex mold
You let the mass settle into the nooks and crevices of Kanye's Adonis-like form with a couple of minor shakes, then peel the latex off.
You are met with a scale replica of naked Kanye, about 1-inch tall.
You look closer, however, and see that he isn't 100% Kanye;
He is 1% you. Unmistakably, tiny Kanye has your abysmally tiny, white and pimply penis.
You brush this mistake of science into your dust pan, and then precede outside to flick it into the alley beside your home for the birds and raccoons to consume.

You leave the ebay seller of your Kanye kit a scathing but succinct 2-star review; "tiny white dick!"
>>
>>7405199
>cultured meat requires no resources

Hell, probably hiring a single scientist is the cost of half an animal's feed.
>>
>>7405783
>You are met with a scale replica of naked Kanye, about 1-inch tall.
This is the point of no return...

>(need some tinkerbell pussy)
>>
>>7405264
You do realize that we couldn't possibly hope to feed everyone on wild meat, right?

In the theoretical technological utopia, you'd want to eat fake meat because it allows you to get rid of all the superfluous infrastructure and resource usage surrounding meat production that alters the ecosystem and wastes resources.
>>
I'm American and it's been 200 years and my meat still hasn't grown a culture.
>>
>>7405208
In an ideal world, we wouldn't be eating at all. We'll have transcended flesh needs and experience infinite ecstasy on a purely energetic level.
>>
>>7405825
imagine tinkerbell jerking you off with her arms around your cock
>>
>>7406046
I love the authoritative lefties. In the ideal world we'd farm you for sustenance.
>>
File: 1383040637414.jpg (343 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
1383040637414.jpg
343 KB, 750x1000
>>7406049
You talk big now, but the singularity is going to leave you behind.
>>
>>7405783
Is this OC? It seems too niche not to be
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.